Start by marking “Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance” as Want to Read:
Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance

Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he put on his hat, and his shoes made in France...and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! So begins this monstrously funny, deliciously disgusting, horrifyingly hilarious story of a monster who follows his dream. Keith Graves' wacky illustrations and laugh-out-loud text will tickle the funny bone and leave readers clamoring f ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by Chronicle Books

Ruhama
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was posted on PUBYAC recently--a librarian was concerned that it was too traumatic for preschoolers, especially after she used it in a storytime and the kids seemed stunned. So I decided to see if she had a right to be concerned, or if her kids just had an off day...

Frank(enstein) is a slightly grotesque green-headed monster who wants to go on Soul Train to strut his stuff. So he puts on his best outfit and heads over to the TV studio and wows the crowd. The problem is Frank is more wi
Camie
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Target audience 1st grade boys ...enough said!!
Erin
Sep 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Just pulled this one out for the season and I loved it. I laughed out loud. Happy Halloween.
Samantha
Frankenstein (Frank) gets in the mood to groove. He heads to a local theater (after putting ants in his pants) and really wows the crowd. When he starts falling apart piece by piece the audience leaves, but Frank continues to strut his stuff.

A funny/creepy read aloud that will appeal to middle grade boys who dig gross stuff. PreK-2.
Michelle
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very fun book with fun illustrations. This would be fun to read at Halloween...and I know a few boys who would like to have it out all year long. If they like Parts by Ted Arnold they will really like this one.
Melissa
Feb 15, 2015 added it
Shelves: ypl
Great for Halloween. Has the yuck factor.
Katherine Cowley
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read at least a dozen picture books which feature an animal/creature/monster/human who really wants to dance/write/fly/mostly dance, is told they can't and is mocked, and ultimately redeems him/herself and dances/writes/flies/mostly dances.

This book was refreshing and different. A Frankenstein-esque patchwork monster decides he wants to dance, he does it amazingly to the wild approval of audiences. And then he starts to fall apart, and by the end of the book audiences have run away. It was
Charles Frierman
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome kids book. Its about a (Frankenstein style) monster who had a hard time keeping himself together but loves dancing so much, that he doesn't care what anyone might think should he fall apart.

Favorite character: Frank

Favorite monment: when he says, " I might be a monster, but man I can dance."
Emma
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that parents should read to their kids.
Pam
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about Frank. He decided to pursue his dream and what a dance it was.
Mckinley
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Fun.
Denise
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Goofy and spooky, but not much of a plot.
Awjtf
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Funny book! a little too gross for young ones!
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect mix of fun and yuck factor for Halloween or a monster themed story time.
Mariah Roze
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My students LOVED this book! It was short and funny. Best of all it rhymed! Also, the illustrations are great :)
Jeane
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my grandson's favorite book! Highly recommend for children! EEK!
Danielle Mootz
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
We laughed our heads off with this one.
Linkypie
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Frank is just doing what he loves! Cute book for a spooky night ♡
Ashley
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!! Currently on a list as a Christmas Gift... coupled with a stuffed zombie. So much fun!
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so stinking cute! W asked to read it almost every night this week and that has NEVER happened.
Sarah Wiwchar
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PreK-Grade 1
Very short but I (and PreK) loved it!
A.C. Paige
I'll have to remember to use this book during Halloween season
Amy Forrester
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance. So he gets all gussied up, throws some ants in his pants, and he’s off to the theater. There he wows the audience with his spectacular moves, until his brain begins to unzip. It’s all downhill from there, with an eyeball bouncing away and arms falling out of sleeves. The audience flees in terror, but Frank just says to himself with a one-eyed glance, “I might be a monster, but man can I dance!”

Yes, this book is a little bit gruesome and it’s definitely no
Brooke Prothero
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is SO fun! Frank was a monster who wanted to Dance. "I know I could boogie if they gave me a chance!" So he put on his hat and his shoes made in France and opened a jar and put ants in his pants! He drove to the theater and jumped onstage. Then he danced like his shoe size instead of his age! Frank shook his shoulder and strutted his stuff. The audience screamed they couldn't get enough! Frank did a cartwheel, Frank did a flip. Suddenly his head began to unzip!!

The kids giggle and giggle a
Stacy Fetters
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Frank was a monster who wanted to dance so he put mother fucking ants in his pants and he danced, danced and danced. He danced so much some of his parts fell off. His brain tumbled out of his head and his eye dropped out of his face and rolled out the door. As he danced and dazzled. Everyone was shrieking and frazzled. Terrifying all who has seen... frank the dancing machine. Nothing fazed frank and he danced the night away.
Love this book. I read it a few times before returning it to the library
Dawn
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Today we watched this book on Tumblebooks (indoor recess day again!). Some had read it before and said, "No!!! Not while we're eating!" Ohers shouted, "Yes! I love this!" My kids laughed their head's off!! Er, I mean, they really enjoyed it.

In the story, Frank wants to dance and so he puts ants in his pants. He dances and dances and dances so much he starts to fall apart - including his head falling off. We had to play it two times today just so everyone could laugh and laugh again.

This would be
Bobby
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, 5-year-olds
Perfect for Halloween of course but really it's just too good to not be used year around. This is going on the to-buy-for-the-little-kid list. The central message will be admired by any parent: pursue what your heart desires despite how others may judge you. May not be suitable for some younger/fragile kids who might be upset by the thought/illustration of Frank's brain falling out...though IMHO the illustration style is so benign at Frank is about as scary as Shrek or the monsters from Monsters ...more
Dianne Casas
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This horrifying humorous tale begins with a monster named Frank who wanted to dance. Written in wiggly, wriggly rhyme, he…

“…opened a jar and put ants in his pants.”

Frank drives to the theater, gets on stage, and the audience screams… for more! Then…

“Frank did a cartwheel.
Frank did a flip.
Suddenly his head began to unzip.”

That’s when things get hairy. It’s gruesomely funny and devilishly delightful. It’s gross, yucky, and totally “kewl.” Perfect for entertainly older kids at story time!
Leah
A cute but slightly gross story about a zombie whose love for dancing proves too much for his barely held together body to handle, resulting in brains, arms, legs and more falling out on the stage. A great read for Halloween, though might need to be careful about the brain spilling out part with the younger crowd.

I've been reading this book in Summer Reading Club outreach and it's a real crowd pleaser!
Echo
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: again, mom's with boys
Shelves: read-with-kids
You can usually only get this book around Halloween, but ours never gets put away with Halloween books. All of my boys love to read this one, from 2 to 6, it's just a great book. The books really takes off after Frank's brain falls out of his head & on to the stage. Various parts fall off until everyone in the audience has left screaming & Frank does a great finale while his head falls off. Really, the gross humor of it & fun rhyming are just made for boys. It's really fun!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters
  • Skeleton Hiccups
  • My Monster Mama Loves Me So
  • Bone Soup
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Sylvie