Start by marking “The First Lie (The Lying Game #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The First Lie (The Lying Game #0.5)

The First Lie

(The Lying Game 0.5)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  2,380 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Featuring Sutton Mercer before her tragic death, this stand-alone digital original novella from #1 New York Times bestselling author Sara Shepard is an exciting, must-read companion to the Lying Game series.

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she got together with Thayer is her juiciest one of all. . . .

It's the summer before junior year and Sut
Published December 18th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The First Lie, please sign up.
Trina (Between Chapters) No, not at all. I read this when I was only on book 4 as well (and had wondered the same thing). It's set a year before the first book and just shows…moreNo, not at all. I read this when I was only on book 4 as well (and had wondered the same thing). It's set a year before the first book and just shows a little more insight about Sutton when she was alive and the Lying Game group.(less)
Madi (TheBookNerdDiaries) You need to legally purchase the book from an online seller such as Amazon or a bookstore like Barnes and Noble. Or you can check a ebook/hard copy of…moreYou need to legally purchase the book from an online seller such as Amazon or a bookstore like Barnes and Noble. Or you can check a ebook/hard copy of the book out from your local library.(less)

Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Eh...An unnecessary addition, as all this was sort of explained in the 1st two books.

Unique view from Sutton's.

But still no explanation of why the hell the parents decided to name their kid Sutton.

.....SUTTON

description

Oh, and don't forget Thayer.

Thayer???

Parents must hate them.

description

Just...for the time and place that the books take place in, it was just like Shepard was reaching for some pizzaz when there really wasn't any.

I mean, I've lived in Vegas and names were more tame than those. Even the STRIPPER na
Joanna Marie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Okay so I remember the movie Mean Girls from this novella and all the Miss Popularity-ranking, prank-ing, backstabbing, flirting and all lies that all flourish in high school and this concept has been used over and over again since no doubt, it's realistic BUT like what I felt after watching the movie and teasing the girls when they finally learned their lessons, I'm still amused by The Lying Game and how it all started.

I'm even as eager everytime I watch Pretty Little Liars to find out their s
Kate ♡
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
Amazing novella from my favourite series.
Beautifully written and a great insight into what Suttons life and her relationship with Thayer was like before everything went down!

Loved it, and totally recommend if you're a fan of the series!
Chopette
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Even though this is only a very short novella I knew I had to have it. Sutton although sometimes a complete bitch of a character has always intrigued me and I have embraced her from the start. I couldn't wait to get more insight into the type of character Sutton was before she was murdered. This was a great little novella but it doesn't really add much to the overall series at all. I was hoping for some hidden clues about who killed Sutton but there wasn't any. Guess I will just have to continue ...more
Shannon
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I liked this book but it wasn't something special. The story was fun the read but the spoiled behaviour of Sutton annoyed me so hard. What they did to Thayer was unbelievable and so mean and I don't understand how he forgave Sutton that fast. Yet I'm really curious for the first book in this series.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, hot-guys
Oh,Thayer,Thayer. What you do to me... When he pulled the chair Sutton was sitting on... *fans herself* This boy if just amazing.

Sutton started out as a bitch but somewhere along the way she finally started to show her feelings to Thayer and they connected.

Hope we find out she isn't dead so they can be together again though he has great chemistry with Emma.

Fingers crossed Ethan ends up as the bad guy.
Diara Luz
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
THE FIRST LIE.
En lo personal , si ers fan de la saga gustaría mucho leer esta historia. Debido a que el principio Sutton muere nunca la llegamos a conocer totalmente, pero en este libro es narrada por Sutton, antes de morir. Sinceramente no es la mejor historia corta que he leído pero es buena
Me encanta que podamos conocer cómo comenzó la relación con ❤Thayer, y nos permite conocer a Sutton antes de todo.
Jamie Coudeville
Jamie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought that this novella was a cute quick read and a good way to meet Sutton and figure out the first time she started lying. It also gives you a background into the history of the Lying Game. Probably not going to do a review on my blog though..
Kimmy
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I don’t normally read novellas – for some reason, I’m not a big fan – but I do like this series, so I thought it would be worth a try. SPOILER ALERT for the main series – you’ve been warned!

Here is the Kobo store’s summary:

Back when she was alive, Sutton kept a million secrets. But how she go
Kelly Hager
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a novella, not an actual story. And because Sutton is still alive, there's no Emma in this story. It was interesting to see Sutton as a person (as opposed to as a ghost or to see Emma pretending to be Sutton).

I have been enjoying this series and this novella helps. It's good to get to see how Sutton really was, and I think she was a lot more sympathetic than she's been so far in the brief flashbacks we've seen in The Lying Game. (I think it's also safe to say that The Lying Game is real
Avril Marin
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this ebook was amazing! it allowed us to see more of Sutton which i really liked..but it makes me mad how she onlys cares about herself. another thing was that it was wayyy too SHORT when i finished it i was like "Whoa Im done already!?!" So yeah it made me want to know more about Sutton before she died but again this ebook was too short, should have been longer cause i want to read more of Sutton's POV :)
Sharon Mariampillai
I thought this was an okay read. I am not to invested in this series as I was with the PLL series. I liked Sawyer and Thayer's relationship in this book. I understand the characters a little bit better which makes me happy. I will continue the series to see how it ends. Hopefully, I will like the series more as I read them.
Alex
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a (very) short novella about Sutton before she was murdered. It was nice to get in her head, since her interactions with people were so different than Emma-as-Sutton. Sutton really was a very, very mean person. We knew that already, but wow.

The story was too short to have any real substance, but I did still enjoy it.
Kez Green
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Evey
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

If only this one would've been longer... Thayer is such a cutie, and I sure as hell need to know what happened between him and Sutton.
Alberto
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story to know more about Sutton and Thayer's past. Sutton in true nature.
Sabaaaaa ☺
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick read that gives you an insider of what everything was like before
Aseel Mujahed
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like it
Meave
Feb 18, 2013 added it
I don't even like this series. It's like eating a stale grocery store cupcake.
Lazar
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sara-shepard
it was boring ...
Jess Swann
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Un prequel qui nous présente les débuts de la relation entre Sutton et Thayer, bien avant qu'il ne soit question d'Emma. J'ai beaucoup aimé cette novella qui donne une image très humaine et vulnérable de Sutton. Même si elle se sent obligée de maintenir les apparences, on sent que ses sentiments sont sincères. On comprend également mieux son insécurité par rapport à Laurel et la raison de leurs rapports conflictuels. L'histoire est bien écrite et la romance bien amenée. Les relations de Sutton a ...more
Mae
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book gives you a sneak peak into the world of Sutton Mercer. I started with this one so I am not sure what is to come. As a person I could not connect with Sutton personally. She was too two-faced for my taste but the overall character development that happened made it easier to see her more as a decent human being. It was interesting romance lead that I think many of us can agree to, whether it be crushing on a friend's sibling or being afraid of what a relationship with the wrong person c ...more
Delaine
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I read books 1-3 prior reading this, and that was done a long time ago.
Figured I'd start over at the beginning again.

I'm one of those people that watched the show before reading the books - didn't know there were books at the time. And I am so heartbroken that they didn't continue on with the show.

Let's see if the books can give me some closure.
Jennifer Worry
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to reading this I had already read the entire series about a year ago. It was nice going back and getting more of a beginning/back story on Sutton herself. I feel like this novella offered a lot of insight that we had not had a chance to have before regarding her as a character. Very much looking forward to the other novella in this series.
KayLynn Zollinger
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting to find out more history of the lying game, and the real relationship with Thayer. I read this right after book 1, when I was waiting to get book 2 from the library. (It had a hold.) I couldn't stop ready long enough to wait a day for two.
Angela Johnson
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Tiffany Spencer
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
The First Lie
PLOT: In this version of Liars (Sutton, Charlotte, and Madeline) we're introduced to a different -A game known as The Lying Game. And we start with the mysterious, new, beach, hottie (Yeah I know right? Whatever happened to *that* guy?) that turns out to be someone very close to home. Madeline's. It's Thayer her younger brother. Who immediately causes waves in Sutton (the leader of the pack). These Liars always kick off the year with an opening official back to school prank. Because
Elizabeth Marie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a nice short story that gives you a chance to learn about Thayer and Sutton. And gives you insight to The Lying Game.
Sara Shepard Book...: The First Lie 3 17 Mar 09, 2013 07:50PM
  • Vengeance (Private, #14)
  • Switched at Birth: The True Story of a Mother's Journey
  • Devious (It Girl, #9)
  • Revenge of the Geek (Geek High, #4)
  • Rosewood Confidential: The Unofficial Companion to Pretty Little Liars
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • Taken (The Witches of Santa Anna, #17)
  • Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7)
  • Mirror of Heaven (Wildworld, #3)
Sara Shepard graduated from NYU and has an MFA from Brooklyn College. She has lived in New York City, Brooklyn, Tucson, Arizona, Philadelphia, and now lives in Pittsburgh, PA. Sara's Pretty Little Liars novels were inspired by her upbringing in Philadelphia's Main Line.

The Lying Game (6 books)
  • The Lying Game (The Lying Game, #1)
  • Never Have I Ever (The Lying Game, #2)
  • Two Truths and a Lie (The Lying Game, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (The Lying Game, #4)
  • Cross My Heart, Hope to Die (The Lying Game, #5)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game, #6)