Start by marking “The Madonna on the Moon” as Want to Read:
The Madonna on the Moon

The Madonna on the Moon

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
An award-winning journalist transforms his lifelong fascination with the world of the Gypsies into fiction with this exuberant, deeply enchanting debut novel--both whimsical and suspenseful--winner of the European Book Prize, and translated into more than a dozen languages worldwide.
November 1957: As Communism spreads across Eastern Europe, strange events are beginning t
Published July 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Madonna on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Madonna on the Moon

Nancy Oakes
It's so hard to give a star rating for this book, because well, the truth is that I loved most of it and then got really cranky about the ending, but the book was so just so quirkily excellent up to that point. If I'm forced to give a number, it's like a 3.85 not rounded to a 4.

Well, you'd think by the updates I posted while reading this book that it would have turned out to be something most wonderful and actually, it was -- up until I got to about the last hundred pages or so. Then I don't kn
Aga
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dazzling but I had a problem with the English version of it. Khrushchev was never the USSR president. I can't think this was a mistake made in the original version. Additionally, no version of the Bible used for this translation was given, or I didn't find it. It seems a small thing but there are differences between the versions. Yes, I am a translator by education and pay attention to those details.
One of those books that touch the essence of what it is to be human.
Marinna Riojas
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
At first this book was hard for me to get into, I think due to the history references that I wasn't familiar with, to set-up the background. Once the stage is set, it's a great story! Definitely kept me intrigued and smiling at the end!
Trunatrschild
For some reason, this book reminds me of Herman Hesse's "Peter Camenzind" even though I haven't read that book in nearly 35 years. Like a mix of Peter Camenzind and Don Quixote. Though the blurb makes this book out to be about gypsies, their plight or lives are really not a part of the book, though one of them is a main character, this book is not about Gypsies really in any way but that they are human and are at the whim of history like anyone else.
This story takes place in a small village in a
Victoria
Sep 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
One of my favorite thing about all books is the way you can be immersed in a completely different world - regardless of your own surrounds. Buses filled with people, noisy people outside or even your daunting to-do list all melt away for as long as you can let them. And with an ever-growing To Be Read pile, I have in the last few years adhered to the fifty page rule. If a book doesn’t hook me within its first fifty pages, I set it aside. This usually happens about three or four times a year, and ...more
C.
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
As socialism comes marching in to a small village called Baia Luna in the Carpathian's, young Pavel's teacher, Angelina Barbulescu, beseeches the boy as he hangs up a picture of the new leader in class, to 'send this man straight to hell.' How can young Pavel accomplish such a thing, and why should he? This act of Barbu, sets Pavel on a collision course with the new dictators who are leading the country to a new golden age.

Pavel lives in Baia Luna with the tavern keeper, his wonderful grandfathe
Garryvivianne
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Young Pavel lives in a small village, Baia Luna by the Carpathian mountains. He lives with his grandfather Ilja whom he adores & his mother. His grandfather has a very close friendship with Gypsy Dimitri. Pavel narrates the story of the seriousness, silliness that goes on between his grandfather & Dimitri. This is during a time when socialism was creeping into all the villages, & they always thought they would not be easily found. The title refers to how Ilja & gypsy Dimitri beli ...more
Henderson County Public Library
Communism has taken over Eastern Europe, but Baia Luna’s remote location in the Carpathian Mountains has sheltered the village from the brunt of the political upheaval. However, when the schoolteacher disappears and the village priest is found murdered, the villagers realize that the threats of the new regime are closer than any of them realized. One young man, who was instructed by the missing schoolteacher to kill a Communist leader, enlists the help of the gypsies who live outside his village ...more
Phoebes
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La prima volta che sentii parlare di questo romanzo di sicuro rimasi colpita dal titolo. Insomma, a chi non verrebbe voglia, già solo da un titolo così, di leggerlo?! Il fatto poi che sia una lettura stupenda ovviamente non guasta! :) Consigliatissimo a tutti, un romanzo fresco e appassionante, che emoziona e diverte anche se spesso parla di argomenti decisamente non allegri. Proprio una bellissima lettura!

Debbie White
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was hard for me to get into. Not too terribly crazy about it, but it was free to me from Goodreads and looked like a good read, so I gave it a try. Just too hard for me to get into, and too hard to decipher on the English barrier. Nice try, though. Thank you Goodreads for this book as it was a free book from a Goodreads giveway.
Peter Hakkenberg
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read... I was disappointed when it was finished... I wanted more. Set in fictional Baia Luna in Transmontania in the Fagaras mountains, takes us on a great journey from the late fifties to the nineties. A must read for anyone who has any interest at all in Romania and its recent history.
lärm
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly above average, both in style as in plot. I like the setting (communist Rumania) and the hilarious views on the Assumption of mother Mary. But it's not mind blowing, just a fun read. File under holiday literature.

Cloudbuster
Mezzo secolo di storia rumena, dalla nascita della repubblica socialista al crollo dell'impero di Causescu, raccontata dal punto di vista insolito di un paesino isolato tra le montagne dei Carpazi e con una buona dose di follia.
Doug
Apr 07, 2014 added it
Strange events happen in Eastern Europe in the days of Sputnik and Communism taking over countries. Religion, science, ethnic groups, and time all affect the lives of the village of Baia Luna during the changing land scape from 1957 to around 1990. I enjoyed the story.
Sherri
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Unique story of friendship, mystery and the stories we tell ourselves to get through! I enjoyed the writing, the mystery and the story! I received this book for free as a first read through Goodreads.
Ton
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Goed en leuk boek dat een inzichtje geeft in het doen en laten in een land tijdens het communisme.
Marielle
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verrassend boek over een klein dorpje in Roemenië.
Mills College Library
Fiction B34495m 2013
Patricia
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nota mental: no volver a leer libros de autores escandinavos o eslavos, con nombres ingeniosos
Toon
Je leeft mee in dit kleine dorpje in Roemenië
Sue
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unique storyline. Tough to rate. More a 3.75. I haven't been in the "need to read" mode so this was perfect. Enjoyed the slow pace and quirkiness.
Ximena
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
An extra star just because it's set in Romania...
Kalie
Feb 07, 2016 added it
Once I got into it, this book was hard to put down! It was interesting and different from what I normally read, and I liked the story.
emily
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
On one hand, I'm sort of a sucker for the small mountain town deal. On the other, in terms of solid characterization, people who talk like actual people, things like that? Not so much.
Peter
André Dadi
rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN13 needs to be added to book 2 13 Jun 26, 2015 02:00PM
  • A Dream in Polar Fog
  • Gabriele D'Annunzio: Poet, Seducer, and Preacher of War
  • Rücken an Rücken
  • Energy and Equity
  • City of Angels or, The Overcoat of Dr. Freud
  • Il torto del soldato
  • Hannes
  • In Times of Fading Light
  • The Dark Heart of Florence (Michele Ferrara, #6)
  • At Times I Almost Dream
  • Il Labirinto Greco
  • مجنون الورد
  • The Front Seat Passenger
  • The Murder of Halland
  • Il coraggio del pettirosso
  • Stalking Nabokov: Selected Essays
  • Brother Kemal (Kayankaya, #5)
  • Der Regler
Geboren wurde ich 1957 in Lenhausen, einem Dorf im westfälischen Sauerland. Nach dem Abitur 1976 am Rivius-Gymnasium in Attendorn studierte ich an der Wilhelms-Universität in Münster Germanistik und Katholische Theologie. Nach der Ersten Staatsprüfung für das Lehramt der Sekundarstufe II unterrichtete ich bis 1985 junge Bergleute im Ruhrgebiet in den Fächern Deutsch, Religion und Politik. (www.rol ...more
More about Rolf Bauerdick...