Start by marking “The Most to Lose” as Want to Read:

The Most to Lose

“Some day, when you have the most to lose…I’ll take it all.”

Jonah Armstrong, Earl of Haywood, and the Duke of Hadleigh were best friends until a scandal involving Hadleigh’s fiancée destroyed their friendship. Three years later, Jonah returns from the Crimea as a war hero and London’s most eligible bachelor, setting the gossip afire and fanning Hadleigh’s long-simmering ra
Published October 16th 2012 by Montlake Romance (first published July 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Most to Lose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most to Lose

Start your review of The Most to Lose
Debby*BabyDee
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: authors-k-l
This is not my first listen by this author but fell a little short. It had a nice plot, romance but the characters were not at all fantastic...they were just a bit plain. The story is about a penniless war hero, the Early of Hayward, who must marry wealth in order to save his own that his father and brother squandered. Prior to going to war, he was friends to someone that his best friend the Duke of Hadleigh was infatuated with but who had an evil other side to her. She ends up accidentally kill ...more
Zoe
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this book, I thought oh my, I love Jonah and Celie.

Then I was about 30% into the book, I thought oh my God I really love Jonah and Celie. Writing flows and I was drawn into the story. 5 stars, I thought.

At 50% I thought OK I love the lead characters and find Celie's brother, aka the stupid Duke very annoying. Something needed to happen for Jonah and Celie, but well, I can wait. At this point, 4 stars.

Then the story went downhill. What a shame really. It had a great first half. I
Coucher de soleil
Simara
This is a story about how terrible revenge can be and how true love conquers all obstacles. This love story will appeal to people who enjoys a romance that takes time to develop and is not full of descriptive sex scenes. The story per se is pretty good and the ending is very satisfying. The secondary character (Celia's brother the duke) is despicable and is so full of grief and blinded by vengeance that uses his sister as pawn for revenge against his ex best friend and Celia's love interest. For ...more
Siany
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I have to say I quite enjoyed this one.
It wasn't a literacy masterpiece but it was a nice lighthearted romance, very easy to get into.

The storyline isn't original and has been done by other authors but I did like the characters of Jonah and Celie as well as the secondary characters of Amanda and Hadleigh.

To be honest it doesn't need a long and in depth review.
Good story, good characters = good read.
If you like historical romances then you will probably like this. New author for me and maybe one
Richelle
Oh my goodness, such hate and vitriol from the Duke of Hadleigh, it is all consuming. His only thought is to ruin his one-time best friend, Jonah, at ANY cost. He doesn't care who gets in his way, as long as he brings ruin to Jonah. He's so caught up in himself, that he doesn't see anyone around him as anything other than pawns, including his sister.

***Complete side note here. This is like the 4th or 5th book by Landon that I've read, and I honestly think her stories would be better served with
Julija
I am unashamed to admit that I am a total sucker for best friend/little sister romances. Especially if the brother is overprotective and/or cause of trouble. It's possibly one of my favourite romance cliches ever.

So, duh, of course I picked this one up because also rrrrrrrevenge. I love revenge. Especially when it involves traps. (Although, I do think this particular trap was both very well aimed but also had some not-so-tiny holes in it but it's ok, nobody's perfect.)

While being charming, the l
Virginia Campbell
Author Laura Landon's skill with characterization adds depth to the revenge-fueled story line of "The Most to Lose". Childhood friends become the bitterest of enemies when a spoiled heiress tries to avoid an unwanted marriage. Beautiful Melisande, daughter of the Duke of Kendall, does not want to marry the man her father has chosen for her, Sterling Randolph, Duke of Hadleigh. Her failed attempt to persuade a marriage from Jonah Armstrong, a friend since childhood to both Melisande and Hadleigh, ...more
Leyoh
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was so repetitive I had to double track three times to make sure my iPod hasn't gone back wards instead of forwards. The language was too flowery even for my taste and the characters were uninspiring. I am intrigued as to how the next pairing will turn out but not enough to endure the mediocrity. ...more
Jo Reads Romance

Only okay
2 stars

I am an avid romance reader but this book just didn't hit the mark with me. Everything was just okay. The characters were okay. The plot was okay. The writing, fine. It just never elevated itself to something special that set itself apart from all the other romances I like to read.

I think that my main issue was with the lack of sensuality and sexual tension. I never felt that the two main characters really felt much for each other and even then, I couldn't understand their mo
Reham
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Historical romance is one of my favorite genres; it’s my escape ticket on what I hope to be a smooth enjoyable ride. Unfortunately, this one wasn’t enjoyable at all. I usually reserve the less than 3 stars reviews in this genre for books that romanticize breeches of consent or acts of aggression. This book didn’t suffer from this ailment thank Hades! It suffered however, from something far more basic which is the lack of good writing and editing. The characters, especially the males, were two di ...more
Megan
I've gotta give it the five stars because this is the first regency book in a long time I've actually got all the way through while liking it.

I found the characters interesting and positively infuriating when needed and I sighed and admired when they were sweet & were making sense.

I think this is a really nice read if you want a regency romance. Its full of vengence, simpering females and not so simpering females.

I'm not sure its completely accurate when looking from the historical point of vie
Barbara Tobis
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written historical romance that takes place in the mid 1850's.

Jonah returns from the Crimean War and finds Celie. He is honest with her in why he wants to see her. At least she sees through his first three lies and calls him on them. She has always loved him. He realizes that he has come to love her. I especially liked the interactions between Duke Hadleigh and Lady Amanda. She really takes him down a peg or two. Jonah and Hadleigh were best friends until Milesandra came between them.

Highly
Elaina
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pulled me in on the first page. The mystery, revenge, love, twists made this book so good! I gave this book 4 stars because I was nervous about how indepth the author would take the love scene but it wasn't too bad at all. I'm glad because I wanted to know the ending result.
It's always good to find the whole story or both sides of the story so your not angry at the wrong person for something that happened. That's how I am I like to see both sides of an issue so I can make up my own min
Bridget Lewis
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love doesn't loose

Cecelia and Jonah were childhood friends but Jonah fell out with her brother Hadleigh over a woman! Jonah was broke but came back a war hero needing a heiress he was drawn to Cecelia instead not she's wasn't wealthy but her brother hated Jonah! Love does bloom between Jonah and Cecelia but 2 murder attempts and several lies later what is true? Will Jonah trust Cecelia and find love and can she trust him?
Karen Williams
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written

I could not put this book down! I read all night,the way the brother got caught was just wonderful. Then the way they got together was so tear jerking, I loved it!
Louiseann Walter
AMAZING!

This is one of the best books I have read in a good while. Love always finds a way and Celie knew from an early age what that was. Her brother on the other hand ... Well suffice it to say he DIDN'T. Enjoy this book I couldn't put it down.
rob
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

I think it was a good book not the best I have read from her but it seems the story plays out the same way whenever a couple kisses or began sharing feelings for one another if that makes sense.
Barbara Haller
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting romance. The spinster gets the hurt, penniless war hero but not before her brother throws a major wrench in the works. Throw in an insane, grieving mother. I thought the story had some major holes but the writing was humorous and entertaining.
Ladye Townsend
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Most to Lose

This author did an outstanding job in her descriptive version of the time period, costumes, characters, storyline, and drawing the reader into the depths of the novel. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys reading about this time period.
Ginny Rodenberg
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon
Celie fell in love with Jonah as a child. He was her brother's bestfriend and they had a falling out over the woman her brother wished to marry. Three years later he returns and falls head over heels for Celie. ...more
Darlena
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most to lose

A well written story with a believable plot. One selfish spoiled woman creates deceit and pain that affects the lives of many, destroys a friendship and threatens to keep two people in love apart forever.
Mandi Murphy
Content: some profanity, off page sex

This was as intriguing story line. I'll be honest, though, the editing is terrible. There was so. Much. Repetition. I can't count how many times I said out loud, "He/She/You just said that!" It ruined the book for me.
Merry Jewelhound
The book would have been better as a short story. It starts off with a bang then drags a bit in the middle and picks up at the end. As pointed out by another reviewer the side characters have better dialogue.
Eleeze
2.75*
This one lacked meat imo.
Tom Prejsner
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance

I can't wait for the next book in this series to read. Please keep writing more of these wonderful books
Melissa Chapman
Light read

Light read with predictable ending. Characters were naive and short sighted. The hero, while likable, was not believable or a person I would respect.
Stephen Murphy
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!

Really loved the characters and the story line I would greatly recommend this book, as it keeps your interest the whole way through.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t want to like it

But by the second chapter I was hooked. I had to keep reading to find out what happened. Great story & good characters.
Yaritza Trevino
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Loved that the story continued, but above all the impossible happily ever after on this book. As always Mrs. Landon delivered.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 07:41AM

• Undone by the Duke (Secrets in Silk, #1)
  • Pursued by the Rake
  • The Reluctant Guardian  (Regency Brides: A Promise of Love #2)
  • The Steel Rogue (Valor of Vinehill, #3)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (The Somerton Scandals #1)
  • The Heiress's Deception (Sinful Brides, #4)
  • Abandoned to the Prodigal (Season of Scandal Book 2)
  • Will's True Wish (True Gentlemen, #3)
  • A Guardian for the Ravishing Countess
  • Wedded in Winter (The Wicked Winters #2)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • What Happens in Piccadilly (The Hellion Club, #3)
  • Rescued by a Wicked Baron
  • On My Honour (Brethren in Arms #1)
  • Secret Confessions of the Enticing Duchess
  • Courting Poppy Tidemore (Lords of Honor #5)
  • The Widow (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School #5)
  • The Secret Admirer of an Extraordinary Lady
Laura Landon taught high school for ten years before leaving the classroom to open her own ice-cream shop. As much as she loved serving up sundaes and malts from behind the counter, she closed up shop after penning her first novel. Now she spends nearly every waking minute writing, guiding her heroes and heroines to find their happily ever afters.

She is the author of more than a dozen historical n

News & Interviews

“She understood how love could build or destroy empires, could change the course of history, could cause people to do things they’d ordinarily never do. And its power thrilled as well as frightened her.” 0 likes
“I fear most of the members of society haven’t used their brains in so long the intelligence God gave them has atrophied.” 0 likes