Start by marking “Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)” as Want to Read:
Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)

Some Things Never Change

(Elmo Jenkins #2)

If you enjoyed McMillian Moody's Ordained Irreverence, you’re sure to love Some Things Never Change. Elmo Jenkins is now a full-fledged staff member at First Church. As Assistant to the Senior Pastor, he’s responsible for designing a strategy to transition the church into the future. But trouble’s brewing and not everyone’s on board.

The whole gang is back for the bumpy
Published August 30th 2012 by OBT Bookz

To ask other readers questions about Some Things Never Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Things Never Change

Start your review of Some Things Never Change (Elmo Jenkins #2)
Wendy
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I needed some light reading and I picked the correct book. It was a free Kindle download and worth it. I haven't read the first book in the series but I didn't need it for references, this book stands on it's own. I laughed quite a lot while reading it. It is about a young minister's first position in a mega-church in which he had interned the year before. He has a quirky sense of humour and, although it got old fast, a habit of dealing in puns and metaphors for jokes. There were some good ...more
David Kemp
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
For anyone in the ministry or who wonders what life in the ministry is like or who just likes reading well-written stories, McMillian Moody's two books on the life of "Elmo Jenkins" are a must read. Moody is an excellent words smith and story teller.
Joyce
This is the 2nd novel in the Elmo Jenkins series, and once again I read it on Kindle. Elmo has now become an assistant to the senior pastor and has been directed to come up with a plan to help First Church become more attractive to a younger population so that the church will continue to flourish as the aging members decline. He also marries Bonnie in this novel.
Once again, there is a lot of humor in the story and Elmo's character is a very likeable one. However, there are also meaningful
Lynn Smith
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed book 2 in the "Elmo Jenkins Collection" as much as book 1. In book 1, Elmo was an intern at the big Baptist church in town. In book 2, after his internship has ended he's hired as the special assistant to the pastor. He gets married. There's also another mystery which goes through the book and is solved at the end. In book 1, it was the "Black Toe Enigma" and in this book it's "Ferty". The book is very easy to relate to if you've been on a church staff or just been a church member for ...more
Suzanne
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I liked this book, but not quite as much as the first one. It did show how interesting church politics can be, and I appreciated that. For some reason (and I can't really pinpoint why), the character of Bonnie, whom we got to know a bit better in this book, bugged me a bit. But Elmo is a great character, and I really liked reading more about him.
Judy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Elmo! I'm not talking about the little red guy from Sesame Street. Elmo Jenkins, the main character in this series is quite a guy. A simple story with a lot of laughs yet the humor comes from personalities you can imagine to be within your group of friends. Generally, I go for the free books. But, I may just break down and buy this series
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: church-related
Sort of disappointing after the first Elmo Jenkins book. Still fun look at life in an old downtown First Church with large staff and aging but still large membership. But a short slam at women clergy seemed out of place. And the inconsistent Amos&Andy eye dialect foisted upon the only black character was awful. Fortunately for the author, I've already bought the next 4 ebooks.
Helen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
E-Reader. Christian Fiction Novel

Elmo Jenkins now a co-pastor at First Church. Also he married Bonnie.

I had to read book two again refresh my memory.

This book was so good. Reminding me the importance of God in my life.

There is so much that happens, many characters are the same but also new ones.

You won't be disappointed by reading this book!

Sue-b-doo
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Since my husband & I have been in ministry for over 25 years, this series is keeping us in stitches and also dredging up some of the difficult past. It is refreshing to hear from "someone who's been there", even if it fictitious. I am wondering if McMillian Moody (McMoo?!) has been/is in the ministry.

In spite of needing better editing, we are enjoying this series abundantly! =)
Joan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the characters in this series of books.
Sonia Santos
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny story

This story had me laughing right from the start. Great humor. Great insight of what may occur behind the scenes at a ministry.
Marv
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Series continues to get better!

Great book with solid Christan principles. Entertainment insight into what must be a trying yet rewarding profession. Lived the characters!
Christi
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elmo's world

Another light, fun, clean read from a great author. You never know what Elmo's going to be in the middle of, but you can count on a good story!
Lisa S. Barnett
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy, fun read

Love this character. I laugh out load frequently because of his viewpoint. I am continuing the series! Very relaxing too!
Don Paske
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book, full of truth and comedy. Highly recommended. This was better than Mr. Moody's first book. I look forward to more about Elmo!
Sandi
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mcmillan-moody
Another great book. I love the characters and how well the author writes.
Anna Crossan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just as fun as the other ones. On to book 3!
Rose Marie Ray
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. It related back a little to Diane's series of Teacup Novellas sometimes. Although it was its own story about a large church and all the happenings at that church. In some areas it was a little boring to me but overall I enjoyed the story.
Ed
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Some Things Never Change" is the second book in the Elmo Jenkins series. Elmo Jenkins is a nice, amiable, and amusing guy who just graduated from Seminary. He's now a full-fledged staff member at First Church, as Assistant to the Senior Pastor. His main task for his first year is to design a strategy to transition the church into the future, aiming at appealing to a younger demographic. So, he's to become an Agent For Change in a fairly staid large church, and not everyone is "on board" with ...more
Barbara
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book that follows a new minister named Elmo Jenkins. He serves a very large downtown church. While I can't really relate to the size of the church and how it is governed, I can relate to the many things that happened there. I think no matter what the size of the church, the same things happen, just in varying degrees. Towards the end of the book we are reminded of the evil that can reside in churches in the name of protecting "we've always done it that way". The Senior ...more
Bonnie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book isn't better than the first book (which I gave three stars). By this time Elmo Jenkins is a sort of "old friend". His story is gently humorous with an occasional laugh out loud moment. It's a very "real" story of decent people doing their best to run a Baptist church with a large congregation. They are concerned with being relevant to younger members without losing the older people who are the more stalwart members. In a way this story is a bit like visiting another country for me ...more
Jan Mcleod
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Elmo is newly graduated form seminary and has been assigned to a large church as assistant pastor. He describes himself as a screw-up, but he is a hopeless romantic, intelligent and insightful. Elmo also appears to be real in his faith and lives it daily. I think he'll make a good pastor with more experience and guidance.
One of the things this books does is to give us a true picture of the inner workings of a large church and its staff. There is always somebody who is unwilling to change gears
Tracey Chananie
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it

Rebecca King
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a freebie on the Kindle. I loved this book as much as the first and when I finished I couldn't wait to read the third! I work at and am a member of a small baptist church and saw so many things I could relate to our church in his story. He is a wonderful author and I felt like I was right there in the story. Even though it is fiction I learned some things that I can put to use in my work and in our ministry. I even strongly recommended it to our pastor and his wife. Great job ...more
Mary
Jan 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: humor, series
Elmo Jenkins is now a full-fledged staff member at First Church. As Assistant to the Senior Pastor, he's responsible for designing a strategy to transition the church into the future. But trouble's brewing and not everyone's on board. The whole gang is back for the bumpy ride along with some colorful new characters. Be there when Elmo surprises Bonnie on their wedding day. Tag along when Dunston finally takes Elmo fishing. Feel the thrill of riding in a red Viper with a friar at the wheel. And ...more
Dianne
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the book as much as the first one. It certainly speaks to the condition of most mainline churches today, unfortunately.Interestingly enough, I had just read Blue Christmas by Diane Moody and had not at all made the connection. Imagine my surprise when her character Jason shows up in this book! Anyway, I found the book to be very entertaining - just wish it had been proofread and edited more carefully. I very much hope to be reading a book 3 soon (this is really book 2).
Betty
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this just as much as Book 1. Elmo is hired by the mega church to research churches that are successfully ministering to young adults. It is apparent that his church needs to update practices that have been in place for many years. The thought of change angers some of the elders and one staff member. We see both the serious side and the whimsical side of Elmo in his work and personal relationships.
Stacy
Mar 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Very similar to the first one (but without the big BlackToe engima mystery), this book was as enjoyable to me as the original one. It's a direct continuation of the first, picking up right where it left off with the same characters, and Elmo moving into his new full-time (non-intern) role at First Church. Full of good stories, antecdotes and characters. I'm going to go ahead with the third one, really enjoying these :)
Debra Torgerson
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some things never change.

I enjoyed this book. It is a continuation from book one. This one has a wedding , a mystery involving Ferty, a potential Church takeover by a controlling Deacon, and a unexpected death at a dinner party. It also has the good clean humor of the first book in the series. I will be reading more of Mr Moody's books. They are wonderful. A light easy read with great characters. I highly recommend.
Jerry Blackerby
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had mixed feelings while reading the first book, but loved the second book. Elmo learned some lessons in this book. He became an assistant pastor at the mega church and got married. He discovered that there is nearly always some who may disagree with you in trying to do God’s work. I have started the third book.

• Beyond the Shadow of War (The War Trilogy #2)
  • The Demise (Braxton #1)
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • From the Ashes of War (The War Trilogy #3)
  • Blue Christmas (Moody Blue, #1)
  • The Runaway Pastor's Wife
  • My Father's House
  • The Paris Package (Stella Bled, #1)
  • Of Windmills and War (The War Trilogy #1)
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • Deceptive (On the Run, #3)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #13)
  • Unraveled (Emerald Cove #1)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock Book 2)
  • The Star and the Shamrock
  • Where Daffodils Bloom
McMillian Moody lives quietly in the rolling hills of central Tennessee with his wife, celebrated author Diane Moody.

Elmo Jenkins (7 books)
  • Ordained Irreverence (Elmo Jenkins #1)
  • The Old Man and the Tea (Elmo Jenkins, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Elmos (Elmo Jenkins #4)
  • A Time 4 Friends (Elmo Jenkins #5)
  • Hearts on Fire (Elmo Jenkins #6)
  • 7 Craggie Hope Road (Elmo Jenkins - Book Seven)
“Nothing says “I’m back and you’ll be glad I am” better than a complementary Krispy Kreme donut.” 2 likes
“pernicious,” 1 likes