Start by marking “Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  241,691 Ratings  ·  25,645 Reviews
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or t
Published February 5th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Scarlet, please sign up.
Estela Pabalan Yes this book is waaayyyyy better then Cinder!! Read it you won't regret
Allison I would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a…moreI would say not for a ten year old, but maybe for a twelve year old. It sometimes gets really intense (violence) and the sexual references made me a little bit uncomfortable at times. It's a good book, but maybe wait until they're a teenager.(less)

Emily May
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

3 1/2 stars. I do not know that this is actually an amazing book, but dammit, it was entertaining. Honestly, I pretty much hated Cinder when I finally forced myself through it last year. It was a 1-star, ranty hate at all the wasted potential and - worst of all - tediousness. But so many commenters told me to read Scarlet anyway.

At first, I wasn't going to. Seems kind of stupid to read the sequel to a
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(more of a 3.5)

I really enjoyed this installment in the Lunar Chronicles, but I didn't think it was as good as Cinder. I was annoyed reading about Scarlet throughout this book. We really didn't get to know her, we only saw her concerned about her grandmother and wolf. I did love the sections that were focused on Cinder though! I also really liked how the two story lines came together. I'm looking forward to jumping into Cress!
Lola
This series is quite special to me.

Some months ago, after struggling with SO MANY science fiction reads, I came to the conclusion that, perhaps, it may not a genre for me. Dur. I didn’t take it well, let’s say, because that meant the hundreds and hundreds hyped sci-fi books out there would most likely not appeal to me either. I know that not every genre can work for everyone, but it’s always unfortunate to learn something like this. I just realized how dramatic my confession must have sounded, b
Sarah Maas
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than CINDER! I could NOT put it down yesterday. And when I was forced to put it down (yes, FORCED), I could NOT stop thinking about it. It was absolutely amazing. Beautiful and heartbreaking and action-packed and just...wow. Can't wait for the next book!!!
Katerina
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time, there was a little girl (let's call her Rina) who loved fairytales. Her favorite was Red Riding Hood, and she knew this story by heart since she was 2-years-old (everyone thought that this was a sign of her intelligence but in my opinion it was a warning. A warning that she'd never shup up). The girl grew up and decided to become a lawyer (so that people would pay her to talk non-stop) and she came across a horrib
Jenn
description

I don't even know what to do with myself right now. This review probably won't make sense, and I'm probably leaving a shit ton out, but here goes.

I was lucky to score an advanced copy of Scarlet from Marissa Meyer while at Comic Con.

Totally me.

I was in the middle of another book which I quickly finished in order to start this. So, Cinder left us with our heroine basically on the run after finding out that she was Princess Selene. Scarlet opens by introducing us to the new character in this univ
Steph Sinclair
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Cinder and Fairy Tail retellings
Recommended to Steph by: Me!

I have to give it to Ms. Meyer for one again combining your favorite fairy tales with sic-fi/fantasy. Seriously, well done! The Lunar Chronicles is quickly becoming one of my new favorite series and for good reason. It has kick-ass protagonists like Cinder and now Scarlet. When we first met Cinder in book one, she was shy and timid, eventually coming into her own strength. And when I heard that we would be introduced to a new main character, I was a little nervous. I was worried that I'd end up
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
"She did not know that the wolf
was a wicked sort of animal,
and she was not afraid of him."

She is sassy and fiesty.
He is dark, mysterious, and ADORABLE!
What more do you need people?!
. . . Did i mention she carries a gun around?? Yeah, you don't mess with that one. ;)

"Wait until morning," he said.
"The world wont be safe tonight."

Still cant find a perfect Wolf! This will do for now. Who do you guys picture as Wolf?

Now that i have read all four books, i can say this without a doubt Scarlet
Sana
Edit: i kind if realized how much i hate myself for giving this four stars. I have sinned omg, changing my rating to five stars like right fucking now,

THIS BOOK WAS TEN THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN Cinder.
description

Scarlet and Wolf will be the literal death of me. I'm incapable of writing a review for this. It's just....READ IT PLS.

description

THIS LAST IMAGE KILLED ME. I actually screamed you guys.

I love Wolf so much it hurts.
I need a Wolf in my life.
Kassidy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*

I loved seeing all of the storylines coming coming together and the different perspectives. Things got crazy in this one and it was awesome! Loving this series.
Lisa
I really didn't want to write this review because I hate being an outlier, especially when I'm being Debbie Downer. I fully expected to love this one. After all, I gave Cinder four stars and by all accounts Scarlet is even better. Perhaps I was expecting too much, but I also have to chalk some of the discrepancy to a change in taste. The things that irritated me about Scarlet were issues I noted with Cinder, only they were more problematic for me this time around.

The first sign that Scarlet and
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
11/8/15 - UPDATED thoughts and miscellany: Still my favorite in the series, for more than one reason. Obviously, I love Wolf. But I equally love Scarlet:

“I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”

PREACH. And while most people would react to Wolf's "enhancements" with disgust:

“So are there any other oddities I should know about? A tail, perhaps?”
Finally,
Riley
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5
I loved this book! I don't think I liked it as much as Cinder but I still really enjoyed it. I just love being in this world.

Things I loved:
-Scarlet/Wolf <3
-Cinder and Thorne's friendship
-Iko being a ship
-Captain Thorne.

I read the majority of the book in one night, I was so addicted to it. I'm very excited to move onto Cress now as it seems to be most peoples favorite.

Beth
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5 Stars

I liked Cinder, it wasn't anything magical or something that really stood out to me, it was just okay. However Scarlet the second book in The Lunar Chronicles has made me think again. I honestly really liked this book, I liked the new characters. I can't even decide between Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne because they al bring something different to the plot.

The building of the story progressed really well, I was curious as to how these two stories would entwine, but it was appar
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TODAY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I AM REREADING IT NOW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I WILL REREAD THIS SERIES THIS YEAR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Second Read Review

"I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know."

the first time I read this book was in 2015 and I LOVED it so much and this book instantl
Bangadybangz
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why so many people dislike this book. I thought it was cool! Scarlet is competent and resourceful and I really like her as a character, and I didn't find the plot boring at all. I was always super interested in learning more about the wolf lunar people. They're like werewolves but not werewolves because... Science.

Also, CAPTAIN THORNE! Damn, I love that guy. He's like a slightly dumb yet still totally charming Han Solo. I even pictured the Millennium Falcon as his ship for the whol
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I re read this on audio

I love Scarlet so much and of course, Wolf!

This is my wolf, not just a wolf man that he really looks like =)

I always wanted to be a werewolf when I grew up but it hasn't happened yet and I doubt it ever will!

***SOME SPOILERS***

Scarlet has been looking for her grandma ma. Where is she? What is gong on? Well, I'm not going to tell you about that.

Scarlet helps her grandma run their farm, Benoit farms. Scarlet cruises around in her hovercraft thing dropping off veggies to
Joie
It’s no secret that Scarlet has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2013. I bought this book the week it came out but forced myself to wait because I didn't want to plow through and then face the agonizing one-year wait before the next one.

Ye-ah, that self-imposed wait did not last very long.

And now that I’ve finished Scarlet, you have NO idea how hard it is to write a coherent review when all I want to do is flail my arms and fangirl about the book. Because it. Was. SO GOOD.

In this retelli
Miranda Reads
There should be more to this book.

I'm a sucker for a good fairytale rewrite - so I (mostly) enjoyed this retelling of Red Riding Hood.

BUT, the couple in this one (Scarlet and Wolf) and the book in general seemed to be missing something.
“What’s your name, anyway?”

That awkward shrug again. “They call me Wolf at the fights.”

“ Wolf? How … predatory."
It's like they are on the cusp of being truly great but fell a smidge short. Their rapport just seemed...off... like it was forced.
“Wolf, are you
Maram
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It would be easy to abuse a person when they never recognized it as abuse."

It probably shouldn't come as a surprise for those who have been following my progress updates on this but I enjoyed reading this a lot more than Cinder :')
Firstly, the characterization was what grabbed my attention from Cinder and I'm so glad that Marissa Meyer introduced even more characters for me to fall for in Scarlet. Her writing makes it tough not to feel a certain emotion for every single one of them. Secondly,
Cait • A Page with a View
I love all of the characters but can we just talk about CARSWELL THORNE for a moment. The books are worth reading just for this adorable, sarcastic, arrogant idiot. He is still one of my favorite characters of all time and he just gets better and better throughout the series. His friendship with Cinder is everything.

This book was actually the weakest one in the series for me but I still loved it in the end! The characters and their stories haven't all come together or synced up yet, so the story
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2015
*4.5 STARS*
First read - 15th February 2014
Reread - 13th November 2015

I don't know, for some reason this is my least favourite in the series?
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually take a break between books in a series, not this time - I'm binge reading them.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

Overview:

“I just think we shouldn't judge her, or anyone, without trying to understand them first.”

I read Cinder almost a year ago, and was very underwhelmed. In fact, I didn’t really plan on continuing the series. Except bestie kept bugging me about it.

So I started this, a little reluctantly.

And then...

description

THIS WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN CINDER. LIKE WHAT.

Pros:

By far my biggest problem with the first book was how predictable it was. Like we all could all pretty much guess what the dea
just here for desi sapphics
I'm!! A!! Mess!! (scroll down to see why)

Exhibit #1) Flirting at Gunpoint:
“I will shoot, you know.”
“I know.” A flicker of kindness passed over him and he pointed at his temple. “You’ll want to aim for the head. That usually makes for a fatal shot. Or, if you’re feeling really shaky, the torso. It’s a larger target.”
“Your head looks pretty big from here.”
He laughed — the expression changing everything about him. His stance relaxed, his face warmed.
Not that I’m the worlds biggest expert on Wh
Sasha Alsberg
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD. Just wow, amazing! Marissa Meyer has done it yet again!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I put off reading this for like two years because I really didn't like Cinder, but holy crap. I liked this 382827282x more than I liked Cinder. Wow. Wowwwwww.
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
This series is adorable. I'm not sure how else to put it- but it's come a long way and been a pleasant surprise. I love where it's going! In general- it's not a super emotional series so far, but I'm definitely invested in Cinder's journey throughout the books.

Obviously this book brings in a new main character based off of Red Riding Hood. I liked Scarlet and her story- and Wolf was alright. I don't think I was as connected to her story as I was Cinder's - but it was still fun to try and figure
Fables&Wren
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

How in the world do people rate this book any lower than a five? Seriously, I'm over here loving Scarlet and her "alpha" personality and everything that she stands for. How do people think she is annoying?

This was me this whole book:

Like literally constantly sucking in a breath and holding it, then after I have processed what happened, I do it again. So again, why you be mad about this installment? Was it because it wasn't only Cinder and Kai's point of views anymore? Scarlet
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
It seems like Miss Adorable Cupcake and I haven't had enough of The Lunar Chronicles, for one day.
So...here we go! Round #2
______
QuickDiscreteCormorant-small-1.gif
Round #2 was a complete success. Holy crow, this book is fantastic. This whole series is fantastic!
I liked Scarlet, it was slightly darker than Cinder, but to be honest, I didn't mind it at all. As usual, the settings, characterization of the narration and the main characters were sublime. I also think the writing really improved between the first book and this one.
HMSA Summer Reading: Spoilers! Book Review: Scarlet 1 3 Jun 28, 2018 10:00AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Scarlet [May 25, 2018] 10 15 Jun 03, 2018 06:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer - Restarting April 16th 2018 33 41 Apr 30, 2018 10:21PM
Scarlet and Wolf relationship 16 139 Apr 24, 2018 11:19AM
Cinder and Thorne or Cinder and kai? 31 345 Apr 23, 2018 05:18PM
Play Book Tag: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 4 stars 8 27 Apr 18, 2018 04:30PM
Play Book Tag: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer 3 stars 3 20 Apr 08, 2018 05:24PM
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Star Cursed (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Kinslayer (The Lotus Wars, #2)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.” 1139 likes
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”
1080 likes