Start by marking “A Charming Crime (Magical Cure Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Charming Crime (Magical Cure Mystery, #1)

A Charming Crime

(Magical Cures Mystery #1)

Bubble... Bubble...

Cures and trouble...

Whispering Falls has a lot of secrets. From talking snow globes to whispering animals not to mentio
Published June 8th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published June 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Charming Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Charming Crime

❂ Jennifer
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really don't know how to accurately rate this book, so it gets two stars. The author has a great story line going for the series - the village is an excellent setting, and the premise of a place just for people with "talents" really intriguing. The characters all hold promise, and with further development, this village could become a charming place full of wacky, eccentric characters. Even the mystery was fairly solid for a first book.

BUT - Lord love a duck is the editing of this book BAD!!! A
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
A Charming Crime was interesting and it has some potential.

This first book in the Magical Cures Mystery series was a crazy irritating mystery mess. I felt like I was being thrown all over the place with all the different information coming at me all at once.

Our heroine June was frustrating as a character and all she eats are Ding Dongs. All most every page the author has her picking up a Ding Dong to eat. She’s bothered, lets have her eat a Ding Dong. She’s feeling overwhelmed, lets have her e
Brenda
Whispering Falls was a small town of secrets and magic – but June Heal wasn’t aware of its existence until her friend, neighbour and local police officer Oscar Park informed her. June’s little shed had just burned to the ground after her experiments went a little wrong – A Dose of Darla would have to find another home. So the relocating to Whispering Falls seemed to come at the perfect time…

But things were definitely not what they seemed – June was a little concerned. Finding an already establis
Lindsay
Jun 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
the main character eats about 100 ding dongs during the story. Every other sentence is about eating a ding dong. its extremely annoying and if she really did eat that much....she has to be obese and would be bed ridden. the story was poorly written and edited. most of the time the story line was lost and I had to piece together what was going on. don't waste your time reading this book. its awful.
Tari
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad one of the book clubs I'm in chose this for their March book. It was absolutely so good and very hard to put down at times!

June Heal was happy living in Locust Grove KY and being a homeopathic remedies expert. She made the remedies and sold them at the flea market. One day she was visited by a mysterious woman who along with her lifelong friend Oscar convinced her that nearby Whispering Falls would be a perfect place to open up a shop for her cures. It all sounds perfect until one o
Quenya
So I think this author was wanting to create a sweet heroine who lived in a quirky supernatural village. Well in my opinion the author was short of the goal. This book had several issues for me that I almost couldn’t get past.

I have read other books where I fell in love the characters and the setting but in this one I found the main character slightly annoying, her best friend (maybe love interest) almost a non-player in the story and the village full of dislikable characters. The “village” of
Alex
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Charming Crime by Tonya Kappes

Magical Cures Mystery #1

How I heard about the book: I found it for free on kindle so I thought "Why the heck not?"

Summary: (from Goodreads)

“Bubble... Bubble... June Heal has nothing to lose when she relocates her homeopathic cure shop, A Dose of Darla, from the flea market booth in her home town, to a quaint shop in the cozy but unusual little town of Whispering Falls, Kentucky. Or so it seems. Cures and trouble... Whispering Falls has a lot of secrets. From talki
Jessie
This was originally a self published ebook and the lack of professional editorial control is apparent. Portions of the book were disjointed. The plot was scattered and not well thought-out. There were errors, contradictions and redundancies. A good editor would have helped the author to plan and focus the work. It's a shame because author Tonya Kappes has the seed of a delightful series here.

The good ideas - a series of "spiritual" villages where gifted individuals (psychics, palm, tarot, and te
Karen
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author and I found it very enjoyable..It's a fun,quirky,magical mystery with a satisfying ending..I'll definitely be reading more of her books!!
Paula Adams
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Tonya Kappes and I liked this one alot. This little village that only people with special gifts can live in. There is also a few mysteries and of course a murder. I already have book 2 to read.
Julie
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Charming Crime by Tonya Kappes a 2012 publication.
June Heal and her cat, Mr. Price Charming are squeaking out a living selling homeopathic cures at the flea market. Her mother mixed the cures herself until her untimely death. Now both of June's parents are gone, but she still has her best friend Oscar.
When a series of things happen all at once, Oscar gives June a little nudge telling her about a quaint little town called Whispering Falls. Once June sees the town, she find out her mother has a
Patrea Beard
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to cheat and use another persons review... "June was excited for the day to begin. So she ate a ding dong. But then she got nervous. So she ate a ding dong. Mr. Prince Charming 'mewl mewled' and did figure eights around her ankles. So she ate a ding dong. She was afraid she was going to die tonight. If only she could have eaten one last ding dong..."
Seriously... what did I just read? Does the author own ding dong stock shares? If so, fail. After reading the word 'ding dong' 36 times i
Sandy Bartles
A Must Read!

All I can say is "WOW"! This is an EXCELLENT book! It grabbed me right from the beginning. This is the first in the Magical Cures Mystery Series. June Heal has made a career out of homeopathic cures. She and her friend, Oscar Park, take jobs in Whispering Falls, a mystical town, where she she discovers she was born into a family of psychics and her homeopathic cures are magical. Oscar takes the job as the town sheriff. Follow what happens when there is a murder in town and June's cha
Mary Edwards
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. This is a very "charming" mystery. It is light, fun, and easy to read. You will fall in love with June Deal, a quirky girl, who loves a good Ding Dong. You want to see her succeed and get to know her better. Her relationship with Oscar Parks, longtime friend, I think will have interesting developments in the books following. And don't forget about Mr. Prince Charming, her devoted cat, who is always by her side.
Amanda
Aug 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
36 mentions of Ding Dongs. 36. 5 mentions might be cute/quirky, but 36? No.
Even if you can put the incessant blathering about snack cakes aside, one cannot suspend disbelief enough for this story to work. Who would sell their house in the spot to a random man that shows up to your door claiming to be a realtor? No one. I could get into more reasons, but honestly- it's not worth it.
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of people didn't like this book but I did. I didn't like the people in the town at first but they all seemed to get better as they went along. I was glad that the main character had her best friend with her when she moved to this town. I think it made it easier for her and her situation. I enjoyed the mystery part too and it will be interesting to see what happens next in this town.
Ginny  Gallagher
3.5 Stars

FREE eBook Review

June Heal has inherited more than her mother’s home and homeopathic cure shop and book one is all about discovering the “more” portion of her inheritance.

Magical Cures introduces us to Whispering Falls, a magical town full of quirky and interesting characters, a mystery in need of solving, and a main character that is likable despite her unhealthy obsession with Ding Dongs, her favorite go-to comfort food. I like that June has a lot to learn about her magic and her ance
Anna
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, fiction
2.5 stars. This series was what I needed at the moment with the stresses of moving house. Nothing too hard or that required too much focus. The whole series could so with a really good proof reading or editing though. There are some really bad mistakes, such as the name of the person she's talking to changing in the middle of the conversation, saying she's not been somewhere that she actually visited in the previous book, the cat batting at her bracelet that she left at the jewellery shop in the ...more
Patrea Beard
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Yvonne Taylor
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I really enjoyed this book. I have not read anything from this author before, but I definitely will be reading more of her writings., so cute and fun I wanted it to keep going and was sad to to finish the book.
I'm such a cat lover so Mr. Prince Charming was one of my favorite characters. June Heal was such a cute, fun character as well. I loved being brought into her magical world. I can't wait until there is new adventures for June, Oliver and all of the people residing in Whispering Falls.
Kim
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read other books by the fabulous author Tonya Kappes when this book was chosen as one of my book club books I had to give this series a try. I was not disappointed. The characters are unique, quirky and have strong fun personalities. This is of couch humor with just the right amount of magic in the book. I recommend this book to paranormal cozy fans.
Heather
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really?

I got this as a free ebook and was asked to do a review. I have to say this wasn't a chore. I also did not expect to like it. I was so engrossed with this story I finished it in less than 12 hours and still took breaks! up until the last pages of the book I was clueless about who was the killer.
Heather
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really great book! June is a really interesting and fun character! Plus, Whispering Falls seems fascinating! I can't wait to check out the other books in this series. There is still a lot left to learn about the people in the village, including June.
Teri Lenz
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable- one of my faves for this summmer- the characters stayed with me. As we learn about June, she also explores and uncovers much about herself. This makes it so terrific. I just reread this book!

Spirituality > Witchcraft
Fiction > Romance > Paranormal > Cats!!! :)
Alyssa White
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
this was a fun read. I will be picking up the next one for sure. the author has a great way of developing many different characters and making the reader love them all!
Sandra
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
I was in the mood for a cute witchy cosy crime and thought this might fit the bill. But while it fits the genre it wasn’t a particularly good example. I was interested to start with but unfortunately I was only a quarter of the way in when things began to annoy rather than entertain. For instance:
- the rather obvious ‘reveals’ about the nature of Whispering Falls and June’s previous connection were both heavy handed and somewhat confusing as they weren’t fully explained
- The excessive over consu
Micky Cox
An interesting plot with likable and funny characters entertain in this mystical cozy mystery. The book had quite a few spelling/grammatical errors that were enough to be just a tad annoying, but not enough to ruin the enjoyment of the story. Overall I think this is the basis of a great new series (new to me) so I will definitely read the next book or two in the series before I make a final decision about it. If you are looking for a cozy mystery with mystical leanings, then this book is for you ...more
Julia David
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whispering Falls seems like a great place to live. June isn't so sure she wants to be there, but all of a sudden she is having memories of the town. When June's house sells, she decides to move to Whispering Falls. The people in town are a bit odd, but her mother's old business is there and ready for her to open again. When her nightmares become real, June finds herself accused of murder. She knows she will have to find the murderer before it's too late.
Becca Tullman
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
The sentence structure was so simplistic or otherwise out right incorrect, it could have been written by a 7th grader. It was too distracting to really pay attention to the story. I kept getting caught up in incomplete sentences and the like. If the author couldn't write in complete sentences, wasn't there at least an editor?
Becky Rhoades
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cozy Read

At first it took me some time cause of some bouncing around in the beginning cause it seemed a little fast but once I kept reading it got me engrossed and I finally understood more. I Like how the outcast had to prove her innocence and found out more about herself and her heritage with secrets she never knew.
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Charming Crime - 9th June Book 1 1 Jun 17, 2013 12:15PM

• Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)
  • Last Chance to Run  (Slye Temp #0.5)
  • Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1)
  • Bell, Book, and Sandals
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Tempest in the Tea Leaves (A Fortune Teller Mystery, #1)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the House (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Devil May Ride (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #2)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Death Comes to Town (Darcy Sweet #1)
  • Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery #1)
  • Dead Is the New Black (Fashion Avenue Mysteries, #1)
  • Easy Bake Coven (Easy Bake Coven, #1)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
Click the FOLLOW button to be notified of Tonya Kappes's new and upcoming book releases. Her A Camper & Criminals Cozy Mystery has been optioned for film.

Tonya Kappes has written more than fifty southern cozy mysteries, all of which have graced numerous bestseller lists, including USA Today . Best known for stories charged with southern charm, emotion and humor and filled with flawed characte

Magical Cures Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Charming Cure (Magical Cures Mystery, #2)
  • A Charming Wish (Magical Cures Mystery, #3)
  • A Charming Spell (Magical Cures Mystery, #4)
  • A Charming Magic (Magical Cures Mystery, #5)
  • A Charming Secret (Magical Cures Mystery #6)
  • A Charming Fatality (Magical Cures Mystery #7)
  • A Charming Ghost (Magical Cures Mystery, #8)
  • A Charming Hex (Magical Cures Mystery #9)
  • A Charming Voodoo (Magical Cures Mystery, #10)
  • A Charming Corpse (Magical Cures Mystery #11)