Start by marking “Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)

Aversion

(The Mentalist Series #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
For Gemma Green’s first time, things should have been straightforward. Find your subject, hold their gaze and push a thought into their head to save them from future disaster – Aversion complete. A pretty simple process given that the subject was to have no recollection of the experience. But Russ Tanner doesn’t seem to want to forget. In fact the more she tries to avoid h ...more
Published December 1st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Aversion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aversion

Karli 🧡
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I once came across a topic in one of my groups that asked What is the key to you liking a book? (or something like that). The most common answer? A likable main character.

I'm inclined to say the same.

For instance, The Hunger Games is a great book. Most people would agree with that statement, and I certainly do. Yet, I only gave it 3 stars. Why? Because as awesome as the story was, I hated Katniss, absolutely despised her. By the end of Mockingjay I wanted to strangle her. Blasphemy, I know, but
Íris
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Análise requisitada pela autora.

Gemma Green é uma rapariga de 15 anos, cujo aspecto físico é difícil de imaginar, uma vez que tão pouca descrição existe sobre este, assim como do seu pai.

Gemma, ao contrário dos outros adolescentes da sua idade, é uma Averter. O que é um Averter? Um Averter é uma pessoa que possui a capacidade de sentir um desastre iminente na vida de alguém à sua volta. Fica ele então encarregue de evitar que este desastre ocorra, recorrendo à capacidade mental de evitar que a p
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
2.5, rounding up. I didn’t dislike this novella but I did want more from it. I’m hoping this is one of those series where the sum is greater than its parts. Full review to come.
Ally K.
*This novel was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*
I am giving this novel 4.5 stars, I will definitely continue on with the series and will let you guys know what I think of it when I finish the whole series. Until then - read the book, I would recommend it to everyone, but I'm not sure that it's a read for absolutely everyone. If you like urban fantasy/paranormal, if you like VERY sweet romance, or if you like characters that grow and learn and all that - then it's a def
Annabelle Marie Veronica
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
****FINAL RATING: 4.15 STARS****

CATCHALL
I absolutely adored this book. It was a very interesting and fun read. There's a touch of the mysterious and definitely some forbidden love. The characters were memorable, and there were some darker overtones that made everything a more serious. It's also set in a beautiful world with unknown rules. Overall, it's a lightish read that I fell right into and loved.

THE HERO
GEMMA
Gemma is a smart and entertaining heroine. She doesn't walk unknowingly into da
David Estes
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow!! I was most impressed with the concept and creativity in this novella!!! It's a quick read but still has some meat to it. Imagine if you had the power to (and it was your duty), to stop other people from making massively bad decisions that would ruin their lives. Would you do it? That's the concept behind the Averters. It's a pretty cool idea right? If so, you should check out this book!

I took a couple of stars off as some of the dialogue and her thoughts were a little juvenile for me, they
Helen
I enjoyed the story, and I liked the characters.

Gemma is funny and sweet. Though she's trying very hard to understand she can't be a normal teenager it's clear that she really wants to do the normal things the other girls at her school get to do.

Russ' personality is a bit less clear. He's understandably a bit confused about the strange things happening to him, but he's very supportive of Gemma. We don't see much of him beyond this, but I got the impression he's confident, athletic, and general
Shirley Cuypers
Original review

This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Kenechi Udogu!

Aversion tells the story of Gemma Green who is one of the only female Averters – someone who can put a thought into someone’s mind in order to change their future. Gemma has the task of stopping Russ from going to a party by car because otherwise he’ll kill his friend. Everything went okay until she also put the thought of quitting smoking in his mind… The next day Russ talks to Gemma f
Nele
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I received a free ebook copy from the author through We <3 Ya!

I chose the German version of this book to review, just because it had been a while that I read something in German. And I'm really glad I did. It truly sparked my love again for this language, even though I use it on a daily basis at work.
Great translation btw, so thumbs up for the translator.
But also great job for the author. This was a really amazing story and I loved getting to know the characters. My main issue with Gemma was
Destiny Bridwell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this for a fair and honest review. There is so much I want to say about Gemma and her lifestyle and what her life has been like. I know this is only the first book in the series, but I feel real connection to her. Her moments with Russ and her father. Learning about Gemma and her skills and the adventure of her life in and out of school. There were times that my heart was in my throat as I was not sure what was going to happen to her. I loved the description and details of things ...more
Torn Pages and Roses
So far not so bad. The characters are interesting, so is the ability system. There is still a lot of undiscovered secrets but that should be taken care of in the next books. The plot isn't the most original but the execution is good enough for me to enjoy it. The writing isn't anything spectacular but it's not bad either.
Martha
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Can you rate and review a Beta read?
I'll rate it but the review will be VERY short so as not to spoil it at all.

Having the ability to change someone's life is what first attracted me to Aversion.

I want to feel sorry for Gemma but I can't. She is strong and stubborn and eventually she'll get her way (because that's how stubborn she is). Her first Aversion is gone a bit wonky and now she has no idea if Russ likes her for her or if he likes her because she averted him. Either way things get verrrrr
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A touch of The Adjustment Bureau, an interesting paranormal power. To change someones path back to a better one.
Hanna
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review

In this book we follow the life of a young girl, Gemma, who has the ability to alter people's minds. She, and the others like her, are called Averters. Normal people don't know about them, only other Averters can tell who's Averter and who's not. Only there's a difference between Gemma and the other Averters: she's female and the others are males.
There comes a time for Gemma to complete her first ever aversion. She thinks it went well and the
Christina
With elements of suspense, romance, and coming-of-age, this was a fresh and original read.

Gemma Green is an Averter, tasked with ensuring people's poor decisions are averted through a method of pushing thoughts into their heads, with the Averter immediately forgotten. When Gemma performs her first Aversion, on highschool tennis star Russ Tanner, she is shocked to find that he keeps seeking her out. Has the Aversion gone terribly wrong? Or is Russ genuinely falling for her?

A wonderful plot with
Kristin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s done. I have officially finished reading the Mentalist series by Kenechi Udogu.

In case you haven’t heard about it already, the Mentalist series is a trilogy plus one short novella. Each book is on the short side and even with four books in the series, they are rather easy to finish. But even with the allure of being a short series, was it worth the read?

Gemma Green is an averter. No, scratch that. She is a Progressive Empath. An averter is capable of altering people’s minds to prevent them
Jane McBride
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure-I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. If I could give this ten or twenty stars, I certainly would. They just won't let me. I loved this book, though I usually don't read novellas (too short). I went into this not expecting much, but I was sucked in from page one and read the whole thing in a very short time simply because I couldn't put it away.
Gemma Green is a 15 year old girl who has a special ability. She has the ability to detect someone else's
Huntressofbooks
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Este libro me fue proporcionado por la misma traductora española, a manos de la autora. Es por esto por lo que se me ha pedido que mi opinión sea sincera.

En cuanto a la historia he de decir que es muy imaginativa, no había leído nada parecido. Su trama te atrapa desde el principio y además la historia de los personajes o los nombres que la autora les ha puesto a los de su especie, es algo que me ha encantado.
Ese es uno de los primeros puntos que te hace enamorarte del libro, muestra la gran ca
Cherese A. Vines
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 13+, supernatural
Recommended to Cherese by: Kenechi Udogu
Aversion, Book One in The Mentalist Series by Kenechi Udogu is a novella following the first Aversion performed by Gemma Green and how it goes oh so wrong. Fifteen-year-old Gemma is the only female Averter in a long history of Averters, an anomaly. Nonetheless, she has been taught from a very young age the responsibilities, honor and rules of Aversion. Averters use their minds to deter others (without the person realizing it) from decisions that will keep them from their life path.

When Gemma get
Ruty  B
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading the Beta version and the final one, I honestly can say that Aversion is an AMAZING paranormal story and the beginning of a great series.

Gemma is not like any other teenager. She is a fifteen-year-old girl with a tiny secret, she is an averter. If you are asking what that means is very simple, they try to alter people minds and change their choices when their facing some danger. (If you want a better explanation just read the book).

Things gets messy in her life when Russ, her first
Holly
*A copy was provided for me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

While I didn't love the book, it really surprised me. I loved the concept! I loved the idea of Averters and Mentalists, with some other labels that you learn about later on. I thought the story-line was executed nicely, although the voice of Gemma, the main character, was hard to like at times. Sometimes it felt like she was very naive about things, having never asked any questions and trusting her father completely. She
Farah Hanani
Review on blog Tumbling In Books

This is the second book I read by Kenechi Udogu and she never fail to amaze me with her writing. Gemma has the power to alter people’s mind set and that is called an Averter.

I was drawn to this book from the very first page. Kenechi brings something new in this YA paranormal genre with the aversion concept. Kenechi managed to portray Gemma’s voice as an Averter very well. On the outside, Gemma looks like your everyday teenage girl. She’s a little lonely, yes. Bu
Phoenix
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, teen, romance
Overall, this was a good book. I like young adult and paranormal books so this was right up my ally. What fascinated me was the subject matter. I loved how Gemma tries to explain to Russ what she is...witch, no...sorceress, no...gaurdian angel, no. In the end, no one really knows what she is which makes wanting to read book two even more tempting. The book pulled me in and didn't shake me loose until the end. I kept wanting to know all the secrets from Gemma's dad, but now I am full of even more ...more
Cat
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book goes by fast! The main character, Gemma, is likeable, understandable, and relatable. The chemistry between her and Russ is intense and intriguing - and you're left just as winded by it as they are. The backstory is both sad and interesting; I definitely felt for Gemma and give her props for her loyalty to her father, regardless of what was going on around them.

My only hesitation about this book is the fact that almost everything happens at the climax of the book. Other than that I defi
Francesca Dell
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: r2r
By the time I had finished the first page of Aversion, I knew I was going to enjoy it. This story is original and fresh, bringing a new perspective to a teenage romance.

I loved the fact that in this story it was the girl with something to hide, I loved that it was the girl who had to protect the boy, instead of the usual boy rescues girl and they fall in love, happily ever after.

The only problem I had with this book is that it was too short! I can honestly say that I finished this book in unde
Rebecca Charlesworth
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion in the form of a review.

I absolutely loved this book, it kept me hooked from start to finish. The main character 'Gemma' was extremely likable and so were the other characters in this book. I do not think I can point out something I didn't like about it which is rare for me. I will most definitely be re-reading in the near future and I am already so excited for the second book! I am also going to be checking out the authors other books and i
Tracie
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It was a quick read. The plot and drama were well paced. Gemma, the main character, was a great heroine. She is a teenager who has herself together while seeming like a real teenager (and not a 30 year old woman). They mythology was interesting and unique. There was enough information in this first book of the series to keep me interested in reading another. I can't wait to read more about Gemma's dad, her
Nicole Dunlap
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At first Gemma is your classical loner teen, but nope, actually she is not. Gemma has special powers and their much different than the usual vamp, witch, etc., which makes for a good read. She is an Averter (I won't go into that because it will spoil the story), but her life gets turned upside down when she falls for the boy, Russ, she's meant to save. In a nutshell: a forbidden love story + fast pace action = two thumbs up!
Lindsey Coolidge
I was given this book in return for an honest review.

I truly enjoyed this book. It was a little slow in the beginning but after the first chapter or so it really picked up. The story is so unique and unlike anything else. I'm looking forward to reading more about Gemma and Russ in the next book!
Achocolatada
EDIT: reseña completa en el blog: http://palabrasachocolatadas.blogspot...

No me ha gustado nada la forma en la que ha narrado el final como si estuviéramos tontos o algo y no hubiéramos leído todo el libro. Pero bueno, tengo que formar mi idea general.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)
  • Twisted Memories (Unbinding Fate, #4)
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • Alora: The Wander-Jewel (Alora, #1)
  • Enlightened (Eve #2)
  • Lunangelique's Sleeping Gods
  • Haunting Joy (Haunting Joy #1)
  • From The Darkness (Aquila #1)
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Moonlight Dancer
  • Catch a Falling Star
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • Walking in the Shadows
  • Voluspa: A Magical World
  • Barbie Girl (Baby Doll, #1)
  • Bleak Devotion
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
Kenechi lives in London and enjoys writing fantasy/paranormal fiction and short stories (some of which she posts on her blog). She also hates the cold and hopes to one day figure out how to hibernate in winter.

The Mentalist Series (5 books)
  • Broken Ties: Prequel (The Mentalist Series)
  • Sentient (The Mentalist Series, #2)
  • Keepers (The Mentalist Series, #3)
  • The Mentalist Series Box Set (The Mentalist Series, #0.5-3)