Start by marking “The Fourth Channel” as Want to Read:
The Fourth Channel

The Fourth Channel

For years, Kari Hunter's fooled the world into thinking she's just an everyday girl. Sure, she's the lead singer of world-renowned band Vis Viva, but outside of that, she recycles religiously, is an avid supporter of the environment, and a certifiable coffee addict. But Kari has a secret she keeps from her family, friends, and her fans.

Kari Hunter is a necromancer.

The rare
Published December 3rd 2012 by Jen Kirchner

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Channel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Channel

Jason Graves
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I think of smart, funny books -- the kind of book that is both thought provoking and a solid read, while being funny enough to make me chuckle aloud -- there are only a handful that come to mind. Happily, The Fourth Channel has now joined that handful. This is the kind of book that will bring me back to read it again... soon, which is doubly impressive because this is Kirchner's debut novel.

Admittedly, the first chapter seemed a little rushed, but the story becomes delightfully wicked with
Angela Wallace
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Can you call a book a dramedy? That's what comes to mind for me with The Fourth Channel: a nice mixture of serious urban fantasy action and magic with laugh-out-loud antics. Most of the characters have some kind of quirk that gives them that added dimension and provides for some humorous interactions. And the talking knives are a riot! The other dimension of The Floor is really cool too, giving me a nice slice of a foreign, mysterious fantasy realm alongside a supernatural version of our own wor ...more
Mark Lidstone
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book filled with comedy and fantasy. The characters are lovable and the magic system is one of the best I've seen. TFC is an amazingly enjoyable read that will have you laughing your ass off every chapter.
Scott Whitmore
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An original, sharply written, highly addictive and unbelievably enjoyable urban fantasy, The Fourth Channel is the debut novel of Jen Kirchner (@JenLKirchner) and one of the best books I've read this year.

Kari Hunter may be the lead singer of internationally renowned rock band Vis Viva, but that's not all she is. She's carefully kept secret her life as a necromancer, the most powerful and rare of all magic users, and for good reason. Necromancers trade souls for pure power and are feared by ever
Mihir
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

This debut by Jen Kirchner has to be one of the funniest ones I've read in recent times. The author makes up a simple story but by adding several dollops of humor manages to uplift it from its predictable UF trappings into one that heralds another fascinating comical talent.

More to come in full FBC review...
Sarabeth
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! One of my top ten of 2012 for sure! Action, adventure, new magic, a wee bit of romance - all rolled up in a super exciting package!
Danielle Young
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kari is a necromancer. But don't tell anyone, because it is a secret that, trust me, you don't want to get out. Necromancer's are rare, the most powerful magical beings and are greatly feared by those that wield magic because of the sacrifices necromancers are known to make; but Kari is different. Kari doesn't like the sacrificing part of being a necromancer, in fact Kari doesn't really like hurting anyone. Like all secrets, they eventually get out, and when Kari's secret get's out Kari get's pu ...more
Bkwyrm
Feb 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Didn't like the style, bored by the story. Cardboard-cutout characters, the typical heroine who is SO POWERFUL but has been kept from her TRUE POWER by concerned family/friends because she's SO SPECIAL, a mythological system that's totally bewildering until you're about halfway through the book, a boogeyman who doesn't really seem all that scary because most of the book is about how Kari is SO POWERFUL OH MY GOD.
Wretched. Finished it because I'm a masochist.
Kriegen
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful debut and stand alone start to a new series.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading The Fourth Channel. Very nice addition to urban fantasy with some creative twists that set it apart. While the overall plot is serious, there is a lot of humor added in that frequently had me laughing out loud and getting odd looks from my wife.
Ellie Ann
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut by author Jen Kirchner.
She has a really strong voice, great dialogue, and an excellent protagonist. This is a very fun book and I'm looking forward to more from the author.
Estelle Ana Baca
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a red velvet cupcake of a read, one that you want to plan your day around so you can enjoy it uninterrupted. Necromancer Kari Hunter whisks the reader into her twisting, glittery, glam-filled life, which features ongoing commentary from talking sacrificial knives. It's highly inventive, original and altogether wonderfully executed.

Jen Kirchner's debut proves that she's an author with lots of talent. I can't wait to read the sequel!
Neema
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The talking knives were definitely some of my favourite parts of the book, they added a nice touch. It was a bit of learning curve figuring out this world but I had a lot of fun doing so. I'm looking forward to reading more from Jen Kirchner in the future.
Jenna
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! It had an interesting take on Necromancers and immortals and the characters were intriguing. It did wrap up nicely at the end so I couldn't tell if this will be a series or if this is a stand alone book. I hope there will be more.
Jory Strong
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't stumbled on this author and this book, then you're missing a real treat. I couldn't put The Fourth Channel down. Laugh-out-loud funny, with really great characters, it's a wonderful read. Anxiously waiting for the next in what I hope will be a long series.
Katie Brakefield
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun urban-fantasy novel. Lots of fun characters and I will be looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Joe Schell
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's original, witty, and doesn't beat you over the head with romance. Well written too.
Lucy at Rain and Cupcakes Book Blog
I really really hope this is a series, and the next book will be release in the very near future!
Alfred Durrance
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word, this book was fun. It was action with interesting characters in a consistent world and the author pleased me greatly by leaving out the gratuitous sex scenes.
Taracuda
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
New and different magic, entertaining characters, and murderous knives that like to watch WWE.

What's not to enjoy?
Cristi
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great debut novel! Loved the characters, the quirky humor and the spin on magic. Eagerly awaiting book 2!!
Mindy
I really enjoyed this book. I loved Kari/Eliana and her interactions with everyone in the book. I am so bummed that there is not another book out to read by this author. I need another one!
Tina
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5. Not an awesome book, but an enjoyable read for $3.99.
Jenn
description

Yeah, it was an okay book. Very interesting idea. A necromancer that refuses to kill, very intriguing. She drives a Prius, recycles, and drinks ridiculous amounts of coffee; not very intimidating (until you piss her off). I was disappointed in the delivery though.

I don't even know how too put this nicely, the world building absolutely sucked. I mean, it was horrid. I was so confused most of the time that I started to just read through certain parts faster to get to my favorite parts, the dialogu
Jessica
The Fourth Channel The Fourth Channel is a book that amazed me and frustrated me in equal measures. After reading I'm still battling with how to explain how I feel. So here's my best attempt at sharing my reading thoughts with you.

Jessica
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it

Right off the bat, things were a little confusing. Despite this being a debut novel, Kari's story starts off in a place that feels very much like the middle of a book. I was thrown straight into the action and I floundered at the beginning. I felt stressed trying to catch up with who Kar
Stabbing
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway. I think the rating should really be about 3.5 because I keep waffling between a 3 and 4.

Here is what I thought about the story. It's very fast paced and the story takes place over the space of only a few days. I find Kari to be a bit eccentric and silly; but not thankfully, stupid to the point you'd want to ring her neck. The story is extremely action oriented and does not contain much in the way of descriptive paragraphs. I enjoy lengthy and detail
Megan
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings with this book.

Even though it is a debut (and assumedly first in a series), starting it feels very much like dropping into at least the second book for the character. While the world is rich, there is almost no exposition or explanation at all. The concepts of channels isn't explained and the skills/weaknesses of the characters aren't explained. This made is difficult to get into and the read felt very disjointed. It was as if the author forgot that the rest of us wer
Tamra LeValley
This book was really hard to understand at first. It was also hard to pick back up once I had to put it down. When I started to finally understand all the terminology and color coding of each "channel" it became an easier and more entertaining read.

Although it was predictable it really became intense around midway through the book. Kari was hard to like at first which makes it hard to really like the book because we all want to connect with the protagonist. She was willful, like a child, which m
John Hancock
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Fourth Channel (Kindle Edition)
I think the dialogue and narration is at times biting, sharp, and fun to read.
The magic mechanism is novel, at least to me, and although it takes a while to figure out, very interesting. Talking knives is quite a fun curve. Sometimes, I think the knives have the best lines!
The characters are very likable and I was rooting for or against them quite a bit.
I didn't quite get the whole band thing, but one observation I would make is that there is a parallel betwee
Robin Strauss
Feb 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just started and I think I will give this a little more time but having a 30 year old woman do something dangerous to show off to her friends gave me pause. If she was turning 17 I might not have minded but really if you're hiding your identity don't show off. I have kept at it are there are some cute funny parts but really running off to a kidnapping and you don't have time to put on a bracelet that could save your life? Too stupid and rash. Overall not worth it. Some potential but didn't com ...more
  • Necromancing Nim (Necromancing Nim, #1)
  • Witch High
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • Revelation of Blood  (Skye Morrison, #5)
  • Crown of Ash (Blood Skies, #4)
  • Electric Moon (Raven Investigations, #2)
  • The Asylum Interviews: Trixie (The Asylum Tales, #0.6)
  • Obsession (Parish Secrets, #2)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Steel City Magic
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Under Construction
  • The Dragons of the Cuyahoga (Cleveland Portal #1)
  • Prince of Time (Chalice Trilogy, #3)
  • Singe (Hailey Holloway, #2)
  • Fire of Stars and Dragons (Stars and Souls #1)
  • Blood Legacy (Blood Legacy, #1)
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
Author. Gamer. Coffee junkie. I like to write things that make people smile.