Start by marking “Since You Asked” as Want to Read:
Since You Asked

Since You Asked

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  606 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Published June 25th 2013 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Since You Asked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Since You Asked

CeJayCe
Jul 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Flat. Disappointing. Annoying. PASS.

Holly is a stuck-up, whiny, stereotypical teenage brat. She thinks she knows everything, everyone else is so lame, her parents are the worst people to ever undertake the task of parenting, and high school totally sucks. Holly fulfills every aspect of the teenage girl stereotype. It was so impossible to have sympathy for her as she complained about going to Las Vegas for Christmas and whined about being given money to buy her own Christmas presents.

Her dialogu
Cori Reed
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Let me preface by saying this book was pretty fun. Sadly it suffered from a really bad case of terrible writing. Not only was the plot itself incredibly disjointed, it contains a lot of !!! multiple !!! exclamation !!! marks, among many othor odd editing choices.

I am definitely still interested in reading more from Maurene Goo, as I have high hopes her subsequent books have improved!
Lisseth (Read-a-holicZ)
**ORIGINALLY ON READ-A-HOLICZ, HERE!**

4.5 Stars: Since You Asked was Laugh Out Loud HILARIOUS, entertaining, and enchanting book. It's full of great characters, friendship, family, and a girl who needs to answer our questions, one sarcastic-realistic column at a time ;)

When I heard about Since You Asked I was already sold on reading it. Why? Korean girl *never read about a girl in a Korean family* whom lands a newspaper column by accident?! Yeah I want to read and it said it was humorous, you
Book Riot Community
This hilarious YA novel follows fifteen-year-old Holly, a Korean-American girl trying to navigate her friends’ laid back attitudes and her traditional parents’ expectations. It’s framed by her monthly school newspaper column which basically trashes the things most of the school cares about. The scrapes Holly gets into, along with a hilarious teenage voice, kept me cracking up the entire time I was reading. This book has been on my TBR forever, now I can’t wait to get my hands on my books by Maur ...more
Amber
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
When Holly Kim, copyeditor for her high school newspaper, accidentally submits an article full of her honest opinions about her high school, she gets her own column instead of punishment. Holly rants and raves about what bothers her and tries to find balance between being known for speaking her mind, keeping her Korean family’s values, and trying to survive high school.

I had really high hopes for this book!

I thought the cover and title were cute. I loved the premise. Scholastic Inc. published it
Christine
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When was the last time you read a laugh out loud, can't stop reading, contemporary YA about a rebellious teenager living in a very traditional home? I thought about that after I read SINCE YOU ASKED. It literally has been years since I've read a book that has made me laugh as hard as this book has.

The summary on the book does a pretty awesome job at telling you what this is about. Holly is a hysterically sarcastic teenager jus
Lilly
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Smart, funny, well-written YA that kept me, an adult with a life, hooked from start to finish. The author perfectly captures the high school experience (let's be honest: many try, most fail). The highs, the lows, the stereotypes, and the unexpected surprises that make it such a fun time in life. Holly is a great protagonist; for me, her witty columns are a highlight of the book and modestly showcase Goo's great talent. So impressed that this is a debut!
C.G. Drews
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
There’s nothing like a book full of good ol’ high school dramas to keep you thankful that a) you’re not in high school anymore, b) you’re not American-Korean, and c) you don’t have lips that flap in a completely annoying, whiny way for 99% of 230 pages. Yes, I wasn’t particularly fond of this book. Which is a shame, because I thought it’d be a favourite.

Let’s start with the characters? Being a contemporary, this book is obviously character driven. And it has one of the BEST foursome friends th
Sasha Tommo~the way of the wind~
Holly Kim is just an average teenager. Except, her mom and dad are Korean. She is trying hard to adjust to her strange Korean ideals and still being American.

I could relate a lot to Holly Kim. I feel like I struggle to fit in, and I don't really fit into a certain group. I have great friends, don't get me wrong, but I am not exactly what others would classify them as, if that makes any sense. My parents are Pakistani, so I can completely understand how Holly feels about strange ideals and pract
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
That summary, while not very exciting, is actually what got me to read the book. My husband's mother is a Korean-American and that was enough to convince me that I needed this story in my life.

Holly Kim is less than thrilled with her life. Her Korean-American parents tend to be over-bearing and, at least in Holly's mind, completely unreasonable. Why does her family think that Christmas should be celebrated in Las Vegas? Holly really would like to celebrate a tradition American Christmas just onc
Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Check out The Maurene Goo Three Blog Hop and enter the giveaway for a chance to win lots of great prizes!

Story. Of. My life. Maurene Goo couldn't have made a better protagonist. I'm not sure if it's my Asian tendencies (whatever that is hah) or that I can still remember what it felt like to be fifteen. Either way, I could easily relate to Holly and that made reading Since You Asked twice as enjoyable. The humor alone was enough to keep me interested but with a main character like Holly, everythi
Nina
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Since You Asked(ARC) by Maurene Goo

Since You Asked,Maurene Goo,arc

"A humorous, debut novel about a Korean-American teenager who accidentally lands her own column in her high school newspaper, and proceeds to rant her way through the school year while struggling to reconcile the traditional Korean values of her parents with contemporary American culture."

Since You Asked(ARC) by Maurene Goo
262 pages

If the summary up there doesn't interest you, then I don't know what will.

Holly Kim is a realistic,
Barbara
Sophomore Holly Kim attends Bay High School in San Diego, and she is largely ignored by the rest of her classmates until a newspaper piece she revised as a joke and filled with snarky comments is published. Suddenly, everyone knows Holly. She gets to write a regular column and feature stories as part of her journalism class. Some classmates applaud her outspoken writing while others dismiss her comments about homecoming, holidays, and the school's social order. Through it all, her friends, Carri ...more
Kelly Hager
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I love the concept behind this story. (Holly writes a joke article blasting high school and that article accidentally gets published in the school paper. Not surprisingly, a lot of people do NOT think it's at all funny...but what IS surprising is the fact that she ends up getting a monthly column in the same paper.)

Holly is incredibly sarcastic. On a scale of one to 10, where one is Pollyanna and 10 is some unholy combination of Veronica Mars, Veronica Sawyer, Daria and Lorelai Gilmore, she's pr
Jill
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a great, fun summer read. What I really love is that the protagonist is relatable--which is seemingly harder and harder to find in YA. Holly, the main character, doesn't have any superpowers, she doesn't come from a picture-perfect family, and she isn't the most popular girl in school. It's so refreshing that she has a point of view on high school crap (yep, she's over it) and is smart and insightful. When she gets a platform to rant publicly (in the form of a column in her school paper), y ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, diversity-yay
The kids at school may not have asked for Holly to write a column in the school newspaper, but Since You Asked is just the sort of YA novel I have been asking for. I picked it up solely for the premise about a Korean-American girl, but found even more to enjoy in this fluffy, sweet read, set in a high school that’s much more like the one I went to back in the day. Maurene’s debut novel is a humorous delight and one that avoids typical YA tropes.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions.
Dahlia
2.5 stars. This was a humorously written and diversely casted...I don't even know what. Like, was there supposed to be a story? I'm not sure? I think it was just about a funny girl writing newspaper articles and hanging out with her family and friends, and occasionally stuff happened that had very little to do with other stuff that happened, I guess? I...don't even know what to say. But I liked the peeks into Korean culture, and the voice was fun - I just wish there'd been a plot.
Celeste_pewter
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Augusta Whittemore
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm going to start this by saying, I didn't actually dislike this book like I thought I would. After seeing so many negative reviews, I was starting to wonder.

My main issue: unbelievable dialogue. I never spoke like that in high school, but maybe I had a different experience. Other than that, I'll say this....

*Some aspects of it were cute/funny, like the school commentary that she would have before each chapter :)

*It's true, there's not much of an step by step story here, but I think that's be
Rukhsar (rukhimonster)
High-school me would have probably loved this book! But current me also liked it quite a bit too.

I actually only started reading this book because I needed a break from some of the more intense books and articles I've been reading and because I've been having really bad nightmares so I needed something fluffy to read in the middle of the night.

This was the perfect YA fluff and break from reality (and other intense books). Will probably read more of Goo's work just for kicks.

Though the main ch
Adriana
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ownvoices
3.5/5 Stars

Dang, that ending was premature IMO. Definitely a delightful exploration of high school mishaps from Maurene Goo though!
Amanda Hanson
This was a cute, light, slice of life high school story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice to read an MC who didn't have a love interest, whose most important relationships were with her friends. (That didn't stop me from shipping Holly and David HARD, but I digress.) It was also nice to see the experience of being Korean-American in a book like this - trying to balance culture with high school was fascinating and real. This was a fun read, and I'm pumped for Maureen Goo's next release!
Kate McMurry
Young adult, multicultural, "clean read" chick lit

Holly is a fifteen-year-old Korean-American whose three best friends are a geeky boy who is Chinese-American, a beautiful, rich girl who is Persian-American, and a Euro-American girl whose parents are hippie types. They attend a public high school in San Diego, and Holly writes a snappy column in her school newspaper about surviving life as a sophomore.

This humorous, chick-lit, multicultural, young-adult novel alternates between Holly's school l
Stephanie Ward
4.5 Stars

'Since You Asked' is a upbeat and fun young adult contemporary novel that follows the exploits of leading lady Holly Kim, a Korean-American sophomore in high school who makes waves during the first week of school when she accidentally submits a snarky article for the school's newspaper. Throughout the book, Holly and her group of friends experience typical teenage problems - including secret admirers, the stuck up popular crowd, and the issues that come from being a second generation Am
Adriane
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This looked like one of those boolot that I should love, so I was kind of disappointed at first that it took me so long to get into it. I would say the first third of the book I was reading thinking, oh no…. But then, flip the switch, sound the horns… I started loving it!

Holly is great. I think we all had a friend or so in school that was a little I over the top. That was Mrs. Kim. Holly gets to spend her summer I in SAT classes and Homecoming Dance? Forget about it. Meanwhile, when a column she
Stacy Sabala
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Book Review-Since You Asked by Maurene Goo

This story centers around Holly, a fifteen year old Korean American student at Bay High school, who writes a column in the school news paper about surviving her sophomore year. She and her three best friends invite the reader into their lives as teens in a San Diego school throughout the school year. They share their views on all facets of their lives. Its refreshing to see how these four friends stick together.
Holly has to deal with her Korean parents’
Mandy
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5/5. This one's tough, but I can't justify giving it 3 stars (would recommend with reservations) over 2 (would only recommend with MAJOR reservations).

Holly's for sure a grouchy protagonist, but there's a real mean edge to the whole book. There's also an uncomfortable amount of girl hate that goes unchecked (e.g., everyone that Holly doesn't like is a skank/hoe/witch/etc.) I was partly motivated to finish the book to see if that behaviour ever gets addressed, but it unfortunately didn't.

The
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
So. Much. Win!

Thankfully there are blogs which cater to readers seeking more diversity in their books and I came across this one.

A quick read, yet full of fun snark, Since You Asked proves that high school is still hell and parents are a mysterious species that we may never understand (the Fresh Prince was so right). I loved Holly Kim and her group of off-the-radar friends. I know the popular media likes to stereotype Asian and Asian-American characters as smart and socially inept (amongst oth
Josie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maurene Goo's, Since you Asked...was actually better than I had originally anticipated but the ending definitely leaves you wanting more...

I will say that it took me till about 1/3 of the way into the book to really get hooked (in fact I remember looking down and noting the point where it really picked up and thinking, "yay!"), but keep with it and you will be rewarded with some really wonderful moments of surprising humor. I know it's so cliche, and we often complain about it, but I really did
Vickie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun story about the sophomore year of a sarcastic, moody teen named Holly, who lands her own column in the school newspaper after accidentally submitting a joke article. Holly is an incredibly believable teen character and her relationships with friends, family, and foes ring true. And as a person of color, it was really refreshing to read a realistic teen book about a poc whose ethnicity/race isn't an issue as much as it is just a part of her life. While racism is still a very real thing, bei ...more
  • The Counterfeit Family Tree of Vee Crawford-Wong
  • This is How I Find Her
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Genie Wishes
  • Sunny Sweet Is So Not Sorry
  • Death, Dickinson, and the Demented Life of Frenchie Garcia
  • The S-Word
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • Riptide
  • Burning
Maurene Goo grew up in a Los Angeles suburb surrounded by floral wallpaper and piles of books. She studied communication at UC San Diego and then later received a Masters in publishing, writing, and literature at Emerson College. Before publishing her first book, Since You Asked, she worked in both textbook and art book publishing. She also has very strong feelings about tacos and houseplants and ...more
More about Maurene Goo

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)