Start by marking “The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)

The Art of Lainey

(The Art of Lainey #1)

Soccer star Lainey Mitchell is gearing up to spend an epic summer with her amazing boyfriend, Jason, when he suddenly breaks up with her—no reasons, no warning, and in public no less! Lainey is more than crushed, but with help from her friend Bianca, she resolves to do whatever it takes to get Jason back.

And that’s when the girls stumble across a copy of The Art of War. Wi
Published May 20th 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Lainey, please sign up.
Paula Stokes Sorry about the delay. Goodreads doesn't tell authors when people ask questions about our books. The book has no sex or nudity, but Lainey does…moreSorry about the delay. Goodreads doesn't tell authors when people ask questions about our books. The book has no sex or nudity, but Lainey does comment that Jason was the first guy she ever gave herself to and thinks back about how he tried to make that night perfect.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“Don’t talk about school.” For a second, I imagine going back as someone other than Jason Chase’s girlfriend. My heart starts to race. Who would that girl even be?
This book would have been more appropriately titled Overly Attached Lainey.

Love is a battlefield! What could be better than an epic strategy of using Sun Tzu's The Art of War to get back a lost boyfriend? How could one possibly go wrong? For starters, have the main character be the most pathetic, clingy, desperate 17-year old in the
Giselle
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
The Art of Lainey is a cute, heartwarming book with a genuine love story that gives the finger to insta-love. This is just a happy-making kind of read that leaves you with a smile on your face and butterflies in your stomach!

Lainey's boyfriend just broke up with her, and like any teenage girl she feels as if it was the end of the world. She takes on her friend's advice to follow The Art of War strategies and get him back. It's a fun premise and being familiar somewhat with The Art of War I thoug
Ari
Beautiful, adorable, unexpectedly cute – the right amount of fluff matching the perfect amount of emotion.

the-art-of-lainey_ram

“The Art of Lainey” is one of my favourite romantic stories in 2014, it has everything I want in a book: lovely & witty characters, great friendship development, a cute love story that builds slowly and a plot that can make me smile, even giggle like a kid in a front of a jar full of candies.

Fun, fun, fun and then some more fun – that’s all I’ve been having while reading it; there were
Wendy Darling
Super cute and fluffy and fun, with one of the best BFFs that I've ever come across in YA. The references to Art of War didn't really interest me that much (ironic, since that's probably part of what sold the book), but the narrative voice is very fresh.

A little bit like a funnier Dessen Sarah, or like Catherine Gilbert Murdock. Definitely interested in this author's previous books with PLL now, as well as her upcoming ones.
Fafa's Book Corner
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

I had heard about this book through GR. It sounded really sweet! After a few weeks of contemplating I decided to add it to my shelf. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

The book begins with Lainey working at her family's coffee shop. As she's getting a girl's order ready she notices her boyfriend Jason coming. Once the girl's order is ready Lainey goes over to Jason. Something is screaming in her brain that Jason is off. But she ignores
Paula Stokes
Feb 18, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi GR :) I wrote this book in early 2011 at the same time as my first historical book. As much as I enjoyed writing for Paper Lantern Lit, this is different. If those books are my writing trussed up in a corset and being all businesslike, this book is my writing in scrub pants and a Soundgarden tee shirt. This book, and those that follow, are much more ME.

So if you liked the historicals and also read contemporary stuff, I hope you like this one too. And if you didn't like the historicals, I hope
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Oct 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ya, contemps
Review originally posted at: http://mostlyyalit.blogspot.ca/2014/0...

It was hard for me to like this book. I was really expecting a sweet and fun spring romance, and this book ended up having a lot more to it that that...which is actually a good thing!

But, guys...you will kind of hate Lainey at the beginning of this book. She's one of those perfect girls that you knew in high school: beautiful, a jock, super-popular, dresses great, has hot boys falling at her feet. She has a perfect life, and s
Melanie
VERRAH ADORABLE. Celine and I fangirled (in a professional way, of course *wink wink*) about The Art of Lainey on the blog here.

Things we talked about:
- Micah
- More Micah
- The romance (Micah)
- Lainey and her awesomeness
- Lainey and her equally awesome best friend
- Micah
- More Micah

You get the point.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Let's be honest here. When I first read the blurb, the first question that popped into my head was: How will Paula Stokes incorporate The Art of War into the story without making it tacky and unrealistic? That's right--I wasn't very curious about the romance. I was curious about The Art of War.

Now that leads to my first problem. The girls' usage of The Art of War to win back Lainey's ex felt really forced to me. It was just as if her friend came up to her saying, "Hey! Let's use this ancient bo
Keertana
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
After varsity soccer play Lainey Mitchell gets dumped by her popular boyfriend, Jason, in front of her co-workers no less, Lainey resolves to get him back, no matter the cost. With the help of her best friend Bianca, the two scout the internet for tips - to no avail. The Art of War, however, an ancient Chinese text referred to when fighting battles, seems to perfectly suit their needs. And thus, Lainey launches an all-out war to win back her ex-boyfriend, employing Micah, one of her co-workers, ...more
Sara Raasch
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: valentines
I got to read an ARC of this through the YA Valentine's ARC tour, and WOW. So adorable! Lainey's character is brilliant, and she develops in such an organic way that you're rooting for her from start to finish. And then there's Micah. ALL THE RUMORS ARE TRUE ABOUT THIS BOY. Hotchacha x infinity.

Basically, read this book if you like spunky MCs, soccer, coffee, pancakes, punk rock stuffs, cute boys, BFF relationships, adorable sisters, or being thoroughly entertained and delighted.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Oh, wow. I enjoyed this even more than the Secrets of the Eternal Rose series. So much fun! And I've never been more attracted to a guy with a mohawk in my life...even if he is fictional. =)

Full review TK.
_________________________

An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Funny story...I was in a bookstore the other day and they have these gorgeous leatherbound editions of classic books, and I sort of
Debby

When I first saw The Art of Lainey pop up on Edelweiss, I thought it sounded good and cute, but I wasn't immediately sold. I put it in the back of my head to check out later. THANKFULLY, the author kept me from making the grievous mistake of passing up on the chance to read this early. She emailed me, asking me to review it, saying that she thought I would like it based on books I had loved, like Meant to Be. Oh man. She's good. She got me right then and there. And she was not wrong. I
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

This book is difficult to review because while it was fun and immensely adorable, it is also pretty forgettable. It didn’t blow my mind and it failed to have an impact on me, but at the same time it was so cute. It was the perfect read for me at the time and it put a smile on my face and even made me laugh (A LOT).

One of the things that really makes it hard for me to say that I loved this book was Lainey. Lainey is a very…
Victoria Scott
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those timeless gems that will resonate with anyone who is a teen, or has ever been a teen. I adored Lainey because she has a story to tell that's painfully similar to one we've all experienced. I loved Micah because he was real and a uniquely unexpected divergent in Lainey's romantic life. And Bee. Oh, Bee, you are the best friend every girl dreams of having. In fact, one of my favorite parts of this book was Lainey and Bee's friendship. It was so refreshing and true and warm ...more
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-request
I received a preview copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. I'll admit it upfront. Paula Stokes is a good friend of mine, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But also unfortunately for my author friends, I'm brutally honest, so the best you can get from me is for me not to say anything if I don't like your book. Fortunately, I LOVE LOVE LOVED The Art of Lainey, and you are totally missing out if you don't pre-order it right this second.

The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes
Christina
Five out of five Death-by-Chocolate-Moose Brownie Points!

Who would've thought a book written a century ago could be applicable to Lainey's relationship? The Art of Lainey was inspirational and memorable. The use of Sun Tzu's Art of War was very creative and most importantly, it worked!

This book is told in first person from the viewpoint of Lainey. Micah appeared quite indecipherable for the majority of the book and we weren't given much explanation of what happened to his father and why he went
Lindsay Cummings
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-want
I could totally see this being a tv series on the CW or ABCfamily!!!
Jaime Arkin
Lainey Mitchell has it all… She’s a star on the high school soccer team, she has an amazing and popular boyfriend, she has an equally amazing and popular best friend and she’s got her whole senior year planned out. Soccer games and dances and class VP… but all that changes when that amazing boyfriend of 2 years shows up at her job and dumps her in front of everyone. With no reasons.

Lainey refuses to sit around and take it though. She’s determined to win Jason back and with the help of her seco
Brandy Painter
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I'm all about these light fun contemporary YA reads right now. I liked how Lainey acts like a typical teenage girl. Her post break-up self is full of drama and overreactions and a little bit selfish. All of us who have been there and lived that can relate and know how it feels. I like when books for teens have real teens in them, and not adults masquerading as teens. This book does a good job of that. I thoroughly enjoyed the banter between the romantic leads in it too. I ...more
jasmine
If you're a fan of Anna and the French Kiss, How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True, or Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, or just contemporary YA books in general, I would definitely suggest this book. Paula Stokes' second full length novel, Liars, Inc. is worth checking out too, even though it's probably as close to the polar opposite of this book as it could be.

A full, up-to-date review of this book can be found on Lacey and I's book blog, Booky Berries!
Tandie
I really didn't like Lainey for the first third of the book. Selfish, whiny, must-win-back-ahole-boyfriend Lainey & her nasty friend Kendall grated on my nerves. Not sure why I kept reading.
Okay, that's a lie. It was Micah. But Lainey showed surprising character growth and ended up likable after all. 3.5 stars of cute, fun, fluffiness.
Jen (Pop! Goes The Reader)
Did you find this review helpful? Find more of my reviews at Pop! Goes The Reader!

“You can’t just show up at my job and break up with me. Who does that?”
What I mean is, things like this are not supposed to happen when everything else is perfect. In April, I got picked out of over a hundred girls to star in a commercial for Hazelton Forest University. In May, I scored a winning goal at the state soccer championships. And the summer was shaping up to be truly epic.
What the hell happened?

All’s fair
Eli
Really looking forward to this book! I have high expectations, and I loved THE ART OF WAR so I'm interested to see how this will turn out. From what I've read of an excerpt already, I'm loving it!

Meanwhile, to make it a little bit easier counting down the seconds, I made a little countdown clock for everyone! Countdown till the release of THE ART OF LAINEY.

Review:

"Maybe if I'd paid more attention to my mom and her tea leaves, I would have seen it coming. Instead, all I see is Jason, my boyfri
Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)
I was excited when I got an ARC of this because I loved the premise of the story. But, I was attempting to be a good blogger (I have my moments) and save this closer to the release date. But when I saw the guest post Paula Stokes did on Sara’s blog about writing flawed characters (you guys know how much I love those!) I put this at the very top of my TBR. I ended up reading straight through it in a day. I was hooked from the first page and wanted to re-read it as soon as I was done. I loved this ...more
Nomes
3.5

I coveted The Art of Lainey for a while. I was after a contemporary YA with plenty of swoon and fun and easy/predictable drama that did not require much of me but to go along for the ride. Also -- it did not escape my notice that this title was getting consistently favourable reviews from trusted sources.

Here's what you should know:

Swoon -- definitely, yes and yes

Drama -- high school style (although set over the summer break) with one of those toxic best friends that really bug me (why can't
Stacee
This book was a lot of fun. I love the idea of using war strategies to win back an ex and Paula executed this plot perfectly.

I did have a problem with Lainey in the beginning. She's a bit shallow and sort of an ass, but her growth throughout the book is obvious and I really enjoyed the person she became at the end.

Micah. Gah. Don't get me started on him. He's swoony in a completely normal way, if that makes sense. He's blunt and honest and has a mohawk. Oh and he teases in a falsetto and dotes
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG. This book is the only book I can think of that manages to be edgy and adorable at the same time. And if you don't think punk-rocker boys with mohawks are your type, you're going to revisit that policy after you meet Micah. Put on a pair of safety pin earrings (or three), line your eyes with way too much midnight kohl, and READ IT the first chance you get.
Heidi
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four Stars: A positive, realistic book about self discovery and an unexpected romance.

Lainey plans on having the perfect summer before starting her senior year. Soccer, hanging with friends and most of all spending time with her boyfriend Jason. Everything comes crashing down when Jason stops by her work and informs Lainey in front of everyone that he needs a break from their relationship and then walks out. Lainey is crushed but determined to get him back. Bee, her best friend, has a battle pla
Michelle Wrona
This past summer, I headed off to the bookstore, and came back with a book that changed my life forever. Now, you must be thinking that this sounds like the most cliché situation that I could possibly be put in, but I'm telling you—it changed my life. You want to change my life and make me even happier? Hand me a book that Paula Stokes wrote. She's honestly my new and most favourite author. Her words hit you hard and they impact you.

Looking back at my reaction of this story and Lainey's quirki
  • Ask Again Later
  • 17 First Kisses
  • Life by Committee
  • The Chapel Wars
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
  • The Last Best Kiss
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Icon of the Indecisive
  • The Secrets of Lily Graves
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • How to Meet Boys
  • The Break-Up Artist (Break-up Artist, #1)
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • This Side of Salvation
  • Rites of Passage
  • Not in the Script (If Only . . . , #3)
  • Boomerang (Boomerang, #1)
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
*** Please contact me via the contact information on my website: authorpaulastokes.com ***

Paula Stokes is half writer, half RN, and totally thrilled to be part of the world of YA literature. She started out writing historical fiction under a pen name and is now branching out into other YA genres.

When she's not working (rare), she's kayaking, hiking, reading, or seeking out new adventures in farawa
“When you share feelings with someone, or secrets, it adds a layer of complexity to even the simplest things.” 31 likes
“Nothing stings quite like an unanswered text message.” 18 likes