Start by marking “Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)

Extracted (The Lost Imperials #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  272 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Welcome to the war.

The Tesla Institute is a premier academy that trains young time travelers called Rifters. Created by Nicola Tesla, the Institute seeks special individuals who can help preserve the time stream against those who try to alter it.

The Hollows is a rogue band of Rifters who tear through time with little care for the consequences. Armed with their own group of
Published November 12th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Extracted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extracted

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Elite by Kiera CassAshes and Ice by Rochelle Maya CallenScarlet by Marissa MeyerExtracted by Sherry D. Ficklin
Best YA Covers 2013
5th out of 150 books — 533 voters
Touch of Death by Kelly HashwayStalked by Death by Kelly HashwayExtracted by Sherry D. FicklinBreaking Glass by Lisa AmowitzHunted by Ednah Walters
Scene 13 YA & MG Books
3rd out of 27 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Tyler Jolley
Nov 21, 2013 Tyler Jolley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book is AMAZING. How do I know? I co-wrote it, that's how!
Sherry Ficklin
Nov 05, 2012 Sherry Ficklin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Of course, this is MY book, so I think it's amazing! I hope you all agree!
Annie
My thought process on this one: Nicola Tesla. Tesla coils. The Sorcerer's Apprentice. This scene (go watch it now. It's only 2:48 minutes long. I'll be here when you get back).

Honestly, this is one of my favorite scenes ever. EVER. Also, it's HICCUP. Or the voice of Hiccup, at least. Let's all sit there and marvel at his wonderful awkwardness. And he's using science to play OneRepublic songs. This is the definition of awesome.

Also, this book looks interesting. So there.

(First text review? Am I t
Kimberly
Nov 23, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
4.5 Time travel, steampunk, Rifters, and fixed points in time! It’s enough to make this Whovian* drool. These are the reasons I agreed to read Extracted the first book of The Lost Imperials series by Sherry D. Ficklin and Tyler Jolley. Gads, this was delightful, and I quickly became caught up in the action and characters. Mini review: original, fast-paced and an excellent start to an exciting new series with limitless possibilities.

The tale is told in dual prospective. Lex and Ember are rifters.
Renee Collins
Apr 10, 2013 Renee Collins rated it it was amazing
A fun, exciting read! I was completely drawn in by the fascinating and unique steampunk world of EXTRACTED. From the cool gadgets, to the interesting and endearing cast of characters. Plus, there's time travel! And romance! What more could you ask for, right?

The plot is fast paced and action-packed, filled with twists and turns. I was hooked all the way through to the pulse-pounding conclusion. Such a unique concept! I can't say more without giving away spoilers.

Put this one on your TBR pile. I
J.A. Belfield
Oct 28, 2013 J.A. Belfield rated it really liked it
Shelves:
To be honest, I wasn’t 100% sure what expect from Extracted by Sherry D. Ficklin & Tyler Jolley, as I could clearly see from the cover that it contains elements of steampunk, and the most experience I’d had with steampunk was from reading Something Strange and Deadly, so I headed into it pretty blind. And reluctantly so.
I say reluctantly, because it also had vibes of sci-fi and fantasy, with its promise of time-travel, and if you know me, then you know sci-fi is something I run away from (fa
~Tina~
Oct 21, 2013 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it

Once in awhile a book will come along and completely blow me away. I don't even know where to begin. I've read my share of sci-fi books before, but this is the stuff that makes my reading escape an entertaining and solid experience. Ficklin and Jolley are bright new voices in science fiction genre with their explosive novel, Extracted!

First off, I have to applaud the writing here. Ficklin and Jolley gotz skills. You would never know this was co-written by two different authors. Chapter
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 05, 2013 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it it was amazing
By the time I picked this one up I was so ready for something different and fun and filled with steampunk. It has been way too long since I have read a good steampunk novel that I was seriously starting to have withdrawals.

I found something to ease my craving and more in Extracted. Jolley and Ficklin really are a dynamic duo. Throw in the steampunk factor and add in some time traveling along with some historic details and you have one heck of a ride that you won't want to get off from.

Jolley an
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Sep 23, 2014 Brooke (The Cover Contessa) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spencer-hill
Best book I have read ALL YEAR! If I could give it more than 5 stars, I totally would. I wish I could. True story. So much so, I'm not even sure of where to start my review. So first I'll start by thanking Spencer Hill Press for providing me with an early copy (uncorrected proof) of this book at BEA. This was the one I was most excited to get, so I got on line right away! Receiving this book for free has in no way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Welcome to the war.
The Tesla
Lisa
Nov 12, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I'm going to post a review everywhere when it gets closer to release date--but I'm telling you... this book is awesome! One of my best reads this summer. Oh--and no, I'm not biased just because I designed the cover. It's really that good!

Follow-up That time is here! EXTRACTED came out today, and in honor of that auspicious event, here is the rest of my review:

This book is action-packed, incredibly imaginative and reads like a screen play. Basically, I could not put it down, and every time I trie
Belkis
Sep 06, 2014 Belkis rated it really liked it
Recommended to Belkis by: Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
Shelves: favorites
Wow I didn't know what to expect form this book. All I knew was that I'd been wanting to read it since before it's release. The book blurb and bookcover were just so intriguing and made it sound like something up my literary alley and boy was it ever! Loved the fact that it mixed the mystery of the Romanov family, time travel/paradoxes, and steampunk elements. Such an interesting story! Can't wait to find out what happens next. Need book 2 ASAP!
Beth
Jan 31, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
Extracted had an interesting, Telsa based, steampunk and time travel plot.

There are two fractions of time traveling teenagers that purpose for traveling seem to be at odds. Secret plots, hidden agendas and deceptions abound as these teens traverse an ever changing world.

The premise was exactly what I love to read, but something fell short for me in the world building and characters and I just could not connect to this story.

Written by: Sherry D. Ficklin
Series: The Lost Imperials
Sequence in Se
Ellen
Nov 18, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Extracted is one of those novels that will leave you on the edge of your seating, turning the pages in anticipation of what wonderful things you'll find on the next page. The book centers around time time travelers called Rifters. The main characters are Lex and Ember and the story is told from both their points of view with Ficklin writing Ember's character and Jolley writing Lex's. Both the authors did an excellent job in writing their characters and bringing the story together. I loved Lex's ...more
Michelle Pickett
Jan 17, 2014 Michelle Pickett rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get my copy of “Extracted!” I couldn’t wait to delve into the world Sherry and Tyler created. And what a world it is! The world building in the book is incredible, so imaginative. Of course, knowing the authors, I expected no less. But I still wasn’t prepared for how involved it was. I felt like I was transported to different worlds with Lex and Ember.

The characters, though, were what I was really interested in. I was anxious to see how Sherry and Tyler’s writing combined int
Tracy
Nov 21, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tracy by: Brooke
Time travel requires a lot of concentration from me. I tend to get lost in the worlds and times that these people travel and I suspect that if I were to travel this way I would end up in a space suit with dinosaurs running around. That being said, I have read a few time travel stories and have really enjoyed them. This is one of those.

I can't really explain the happenings in this book because like I said it requires a lot of concentration and I would only end up confusing you instead of giving
Erika
You had me at time travelers and time war.
description

As soon as I saw those words I thought Doctor Who. I've been waiting for something like this.

Please be awesome.
Judith Graves
Brother and sister bound to opposing factions, each fighting to preserve the balance of time - talk about sibling rivalry. But as Lex and Ember unearth the origins of their respective leaders they are forced to decide where their true loyalties lie. Authors, Ficklin and Jolley, have hammered out a clockwork tale filled with mystery, action, and alternate history. Once the gears of this book lock you into place, prepare to be EXTRACTED from the here and now, and thrust into a daring new world.
Dvora
Oct 20, 2013 Dvora rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Dvora by: Sherry Ficklin
I really enjoyed reading this book! The only problem is that I personally have difficulty with time travel books, I get confused easily. That being said, my heart was ripped out of my body at one particular part and just when I thought things were going to be OK, it happened all over again. I was so emotional I couldn't believe how invested my feelings became a part of this book. Amazing story, different than I have ever read before. I can't wait to read the second book!!!
Alexandra aka Auntie J
Aug 13, 2014 Alexandra aka Auntie J marked it as looks-interesting-maybe-read
Deleted prologue scene available to read free on author's website,

Haven Angel
Oct 04, 2014 Haven Angel rated it really liked it
Sarah ❤
Oct 25, 2013 Sarah ❤ marked it as to-read
I met the author of this book at New York Comic Con and I can't wait to read it!
Harshini  Ramanujam
Nov 06, 2012 Harshini Ramanujam marked it as to-read
ARGHH!!!! Did I see Nicola Tesla!!!????? I NEED this book!!
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Oh man, this sounds really badass.
Polly Roth
So I got this book for free on Amazon for signing up for the YA Newsletter. Naturally, I did not have high expectations.
But my god was I wrong. I didn't realize how freaking cool time travel is!! It is legitimately one of the most mind blowing ideas, and the way these two authors have explored with the fixed points and the "river of time" left me with head aches thinking about them too long.

(view spoiler)
Amy Fournier
Nov 08, 2013 Amy Fournier rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour-2013, own
*Actual rating 3.5 stars.

As you all know, I am always worried when reading a book about time travel. It can get confusing and lose me pretty easily. If they get too much into the science aspect, I feel like I am back in school again. Luckily, this one didn't lose me... completely. There are two different methods of time travel in this, so there was a bit of confusion at some points. I was able to grasp it all eventually though, so it didn't ruin my enjoyment of this at all. It was also full of
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
This is probably more like a 2.5 star book for me. Decidedly not terrible, but also not great. And probably, in the long run, not memorable. I think for me a lot of the problem lay in the world building. Or, more accurately, the lack of it. Yes, we know that there are two rival groups of teenaged time travellers. Yes, we know all about the buildings they live in. But we don't know where they are or WHEN they are. Ember at one point tells us that 1996 was less than 100 years ago, but that's the o ...more
Penelope Bartotto
Dec 14, 2013 Penelope Bartotto rated it really liked it
Extracted (The Lost Imperials) was presented to me for review just as I began Steampunk September 2013 on The Library at the END of the Universe and unfortunately I did not have room in the schedule to read and review the book at the time. Things have changed.
I actually sat down and read this book awhile ago and just ran out of time each day to properly sit down and write the detailed review I wanted to give this novel. Extracted is a top notch novel for the Young Adult genre that I am honored t
June Stevens
Oct 15, 2013 June Stevens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Extracted (The Lost Imperials Book #1) by Sherry Ficklin and Tyler Jolley is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. As you know, when you highly anticipate something for a long time it is really easy to be disappointed. Not the case here. I expected to be blown away, and well, I was. Extracted is super-fast paced, which made my slow reading both hard and TOTALLY the right thing to do. As hard as it was to put the book down after two chapters, doing so let me mull over what I had read before moving on. I found thi ...more
Yael Itamar
Nov 19, 2013 Yael Itamar rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I had a lot of fun reading this book. It combines steampunk, time travel, and a fast-moving plot. I highly recommend it for people who enjoy science fiction, alternate history, gadgets, action, and snappy dialogue.

As for the characters: Upon first read, it was hard to see them beyond their role in the story and their immediate relationships to each other (friend, sibling, boyfriend/girlfriend). But when I flipped through it a second time, I noticed many more personal details that really made the
Chelsea
Nov 22, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Extracted was a pleasant surprise. I was a bit skeptical to pick up a book about steampunk time travelers, but I decided to try it anyway and am glad that I did. Despite being rather new to the genre of steampunk and finding it an odd (if utterly delightful) concept, I thought the story was quite enjoyable and no more difficult to believe than any other science fiction tale. The pace of Extracted is quick and packed with adventure; there's never a dull moment. As a result, it's also a fairly qui ...more
  • Whisper Falls (Whisper Falls #1)
  • Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
  • Relativity
  • Prodigal (The Lost Imperials, #2)
  • Breaking Glass
  • Railhead
  • Amarok
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc. (Butterman Travel series #1)
  • Rematch (Vortex, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • Perfection (Perfection, #1)
  • Chasing the Star Garden (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #1)
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Blood Bound
  • The Incredible Charlotte Sycamore (Charlotte Sycamore, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Legacy of the Clockwork Key (The Secret Order, #1)
**To get the latest info on new releases and to enter our monthly giveaways join the Minion Army over at http://sherryficklin.com/be-a-minion/ **

Sherry D. Ficklin is a full time writer from Colorado where she lives with her husband, four kids, two dogs, and a fluctuating number of chickens and house guests. A former military brat, she loves to travel and meet new people. She can often be found bro
More about Sherry D. Ficklin...

The Lost Imperials (4 books)
  • Prodigal (The Lost Imperials, #2)
  • Riven (The Lost Imperials, #3)
  • Absolution (The Lost Imperials, #4)