Start by marking “Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)

Fat Vampire

(Fat Vampire #1)

From the author of "Unicorn Western" comes a story of fangs and fast food…

When overweight treadmill salesman Reginald Baskin finally meets a co-worker who doesn't make fun of him, it's just his own bad luck that tech guy Maurice turns out to be a thousand-year-old vampire.

And when Maurice turns Reginald to save his life, it's just Reginald's own further bad luck that he w
Published October 2nd 2012 (first published September 29th 2012)

Start your review of Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)
Edward Lorn
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet baby Tom Cruise, that was a fun ride. Not only was it the first vampire story I've enjoyed since reading 'Salem's Lot when I was a teenager, but it's one of the coolest concepts I've read, period.

Poor Reginald Baskins was a fat kid who grew into a fat adult who's then turned into a fat vampire. You see, in Johnny B. Truant's vamp-world, you remain in the same physical condition as you were before you're changed into a bloodsucker. Not having a say in the matter, Reginald becomes one of t
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Loved this vampire tale. Clever,fresh,innovative and just plain fun. Great characters
that are well written and well developed.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Rhode PVD
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-vampires
A potato chip of a book. Quick and easy to read, although the problem solving at the end relied too heavily on a complex plan going perfectly correctly under what you might call battle conditions, which isn’t believable.

It’s also slightly unpleasant for me as a woman reader to see women through the eyes of a straight male hero who kneejerk objectifies them, although he does try to rise above this.

I get the feeling the rest of this series will be the hero beating challenges due to his bulk by b
Melinda
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Entire Plot Hinges on Single Weakness

While you have to appreciate anyone who could create a obese vampire protagonist with insecurity issues instead of the runway gorgeous vampires who have incredible sex while sparkling, the plotting was not cohesive or tightly crafted. It seemed that the book was written to showcase the tribulations of a fat vampire without any real change in Reginald's emotional intelligence. No character changes at all in this book.

I would be so forward as to say that this w
Joe Barlow
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
How has no one thought of this idea before?

Everyone knows that when a person becomes a vampire, they stop aging, remaining locked forever in time. So what happens if you're morbidly obese when you get turned? What if the normal superpowers that most vampires get, like super speed, only serve to make you about as fast as a regular human? This is the predicament of Reginald, the titular character of Johnny B. Truant's delightful take on the vampire genre, who just can't seem to catch a break.

As a
Alisa
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, zz-2018
Kind of funny. Kind of filled with stereotypes. Unique plotline but not a series I see myself continuing.
Richard
Reginald is a 350-pound man who is picked on or scorned by many co-workers, except for the goth boy Maurice who works nights. I think we all know where this is going. Even after he is "turned," Reginald still has a tough time because while his abilities are enhanced, his size is not different. The reader roots for Reginald because he is an underdog, who must adapt quickly or face the consequences.

Will he survive? The fact that this is the first installment in a series of six (which has inspired
Rose
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It should go without saying that this wasn't a serious vampire book. Most of those are boring, which is why I seldom read them, but how could I pass on this one? This is the first in a series and while it wasn't written as a stand-alone, it did end well.

Reginald is an obese adult who was an obese child. He was bullied all through school and couldn't wait until school ended so the bullying would stop but that didn't happen. He gets tormented regularly at work. He has no friends there but he trie
Roxie Voorhees
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up!
Michael Cairns
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book explores the all-important question of why all vampires are gorgeous, toned and buff. It does a pretty good job of answering it as well.
Along the way, we get to know Reginald, the fat vampire of the title, who discovers he sucks at pretty much all the stuff other vampires are good at. However, he also discovers he can play the piano better than anyone, read a book in about ten seconds and out-think everyone, ever. He's also a big softy.
Fat vampire is very easy to read and that's a co
Rusty
Oct 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a story comes along that is both so stupid, and yet, so awesome, that I can’t not read it. For me, that’s the intrigue of this book.

For some context, I’ve had this thought in the back of my head for some time now that the success of any breakout novel is usually based on how quickly it can sell a premise. So much so that it trumps execution.

Vampires are one of those things that I think will always be with us, and I think it was right after I saw Interview with the Vampire
Michael Loring
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire-books
It’s kind of hard to think of a way to start this review off. After reading a book like this…it’s hard to put my thoughts down.

Let’s start with how I found it.

I was on Amazon looking up another story to get the links for my review of it when on the list I noticed this story. It was free, and after the disappointment of having read the other story I felt there was nothing to lose.

That was two days ago. From the first moment to the last, I was so wrapped up in this book I couldn’t put it down.

The
Erin
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy. Crap. This the best book I've read in a bit, and it was FREE! Free eBooks are just the best, aren't they? Even when they're terrible, honestly, but once in a while you find a gem like this book. Reginald is an overweight office worker for a fitness equipment company, which already seems like a recipe for socially awkward disaster. Ridiculed by most of his coworkers, Reginald finds an unlikely friend in the new young Goth kid Maurice who works the overnight shift. After one unlucky night ha ...more
Kerry *Pale Daughter*
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fat Vampire was a very entertaining social satire with many hilarious LOL moments! I loved the premise of a vampire who had to spend his existence in the state in which he was turned, weighing 350 lbs. and physically unfit, making it extremely difficult to catch his prey. Bonus points for having equally quirky secondary characters! Fat Vampire had a great plot and a fairly unpredictable ending. (view spoiler) ...more
chucklesthescot
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf-pnr, fiction, vampires
Reginald is fat, bored and being bullied at work. When he finally makes friends with the goth kid on night shift Maurice, hope springs. Until vampires attack Reginald and Maurice breaks the rules by turning him. Now Reginald has to deal with being a slow and fat vampire instead.

So when Maurice is approached on a bowling night out with Reginald by a group of vampires he knows, Reginald becomes the meal and Maurice has to turn him to stop him from dying. Reginald's hopes of being a cool vampire fa
Carrie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Reginald Baskin has been overweight and made fun of his whole life and to make matters worse he works in the fitness industry with mostly perfect co-workers that make fun of him. When Reginald tries to befriend one of the only other outcasts at work he gets a bit more than he bargained for. Maurice is actually a vampire and when Reginald's life is at stake Maurice turns him to save him. Unfortunately for Reginald that means he will forever be 350 pounds and out of shape.

Most of the vampire port
Ambs ❤❤
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, kindle-all
My first vampire book - definitely won't be running to buy the Twilight but not bad. I have read this author before, Unicorn Western. Both are unique concepts, however, I feel that Fat Vampire was more successful. The storyline progressed well, he incorporated a plethora of emotions; some romance, revenge, shame, pity, etc.

I could help feel for Reginald, although sometimes I thought he allowed himself to be defeated too easily. I really liked Maurice, Nikki, and Claire. I think everything seeme
T.W. Barton
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in July of last year. I read two pages and then jumped to another book. Not sure why now probably a over flow of vampire books.

The other day I was working my twitter account in prep for my future book (shameless plug) when I saw a tweet about the author and remembered the book I bought but did not remember finishing it so I cracked it back open and started it again.

The name says it all and I expected to laugh which I did. Feeding time does not go well. LOL! What I was not expe
 Bella Marie
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
It wasnt as funny as I thought it would be but I wasnt disappointed at all. I had a nice time reading it and and I consider it to be one of my kindle gems. Just to pass time pleasantly nothing more but hey one of the reasons we read books is to pass p=our time right?
Niko
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This was just delightful. I devoured this book in one sitting. I giggled and laughed and by the end I was cheering for Reggie
Vakaris the Nosferatu
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: Reginald never really thought of whether he’d like to be a vampire or not. His days were spent busy trying to survive adult bullies at his job. And they say it gets better after high-school! But even with all that in mind, once given a choice to die or become a vampire, Reginald didn’t hesitate, and made a choice he found himself enjoying greatly: as a vampire he was faster, stronger, and didn’t start dri
James Crawford
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ever notice how all the vampires in movies seem to be the perfect size and are almost always very attractive?

Well, Reginald is pretty much the opposite of that. He's 350 pounds, mainly eats junk food and has virtually no friends. A trip to the boiling alley with Maurice, a co-worker, doesn't exactly end up on a positive note for Reginald.

He ends up a vampire. A fat, slow, non-athletic vampire who gets beaten up by people he tries to bite. He makes friends with a ten-year old girl who has a drunk
Anita
Jul 26, 2021 rated it liked it
It took awhile to get back into this one - it started out funny and then it got funnier... and then it sort of didn't. Something happened with the last quarter of the book - the writing became very wooden, as if the author had a 'let's get this over with' moment. And that's no easy feat, considering the scope of DRAMA that happens. Not quite sure how he managed it. It just became very instructive (how they got to where they got)... and then kinda petered out.
Giving it 3 stars because the first
Akira
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book 🧛‍♀️. It was an interesting and funny twist to the traditional vampire storyline. I liked how very “ordinary guy” the main character was portrayed as, & the little quips towards other well known vampires was very clever & funny as well. I’ve always enjoyed the unlikely hero/underdog spin on things & this executes that very well. I’m looking forward to the rest of this series for sure 😄
RuthAnn
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adulthood
This was a really fun, quick read. I found that I could relate to the main character, Reginald, a socially awkward fat guy who works at a treadmill company. Nothing seems to go right for our hero, and unlike other novels, life doesn't get better by becoming a vampire.

I will definitely read the rest of the series.
Marilyn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found myself smiling and laughing frequently.
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
Meh!!!
Nuffy
Oct 04, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires, humor
For my self-deprecating, loser vampire who’s only as interesting as the friends he makes, I’ll stick to Fred the Vampire Accountant.

At least it’s a quick read.
Minke
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a new, interesting take on vampires, how they are created and there abilities. A believable and funny story. Can't wait to jump into the next book! ...more
J.G. Gatewood
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little too short, but a very entertaining read and intriguing idea. I really liked it.
Fat Vampire by Adam Rex? 1 9 Mar 27, 2018 01:06PM
Fat Vampire: a comical look at the vampire genre (Review #2) 1 15 Jul 18, 2014 03:55PM
Story Telling Pod...: Johnny's word record 2 14 Sep 03, 2013 08:13PM
I Love Vampire No...: Fat Vampire - Has anybody else read this? 11 44 Jul 09, 2013 07:16PM

• Blue Burn (Starship for Sale #5)
  • The United States of Cryptids: A Tour of American Myths and Monsters
  • Moonlight and Magic (Betwixt & Between #4)
  • Malma station
  • Hanover House (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Funeral Girl
  • Monster Burger (24/7 Demon Mart, #2)
  • Robot Proletariat: Season One
  • Faust, Part Two
  • She-Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth
  • The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)
  • Rivers of London: Night Witch
  • Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story
  • Clowns Vs. Spiders
  • Witches Get Stuff Done
  • Dark Harvest
  • Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America
  • The Gingerbread Girl
See top shelves…
Johnny B. Truant is an author, blogger, and podcaster who, like the Ramones, was long denied induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite having a large cult following. He makes his online home at JohnnyBTruant.com and is the author of the Unicorn Western series, the Fat Vampire series, The Bialy Pimps, and a handful of other properties and growing every week.

You can connect with Johnny o

Fat Vampire (6 books)
  • Tastes Like Chicken (Fat Vampire, #2)
  • All You Can Eat (Fat Vampire, #3)
  • Harder Better Fatter Stronger (Fat Vampire, #4)
  • Fatpocalypse (Fat Vampire, #5)
  • Survival of the Fattest (Fat Vampire, #6)

News & Interviews

With more than 5.7 million votes cast and counted, the 14th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards are now official. Launched in 2009,...
“Can either of you do that?” he said with an erect penis in his voice.” 0 likes
“Reginald could tell by the way she jumped when anyone dropped anything that she wanted her money back for the broken promises of adulthood too. “I guess,” said Sarah.” 0 likes