Start by marking “Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fat Vampire (Fat Vampire, #1)

Fat Vampire

(Fat Vampire #1)

From the author of "Unicorn Western" comes a story of fangs and fast food…

When overweight treadmill salesman Reginald Baskin finally meets a co-worker who doesn't make fun of him, it's just his own bad luck that tech guy Maurice turns out to be a thousand-year-old vampire.

And when Maurice turns Reginald to save his life, it's just Reginald's own further bad luck that he w
Published October 2nd 2012 (first published September 29th 2012)

SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Loved this vampire tale. Clever,fresh,innovative and just plain fun. Great characters
that are well written and well developed.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
This looks hilarious! How have I never heard of it before? It's free with Kindle Unlimited or $0.99 on September 17, 2017. Definitely trying this one out!
Edward Lorn
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet baby Tom Cruise, that was a fun ride. Not only was it the first vampire story I've enjoyed since reading 'Salem's Lot when I was a teenager, but it's one of the coolest concepts I've read, period.

Poor Reginald Baskins was a fat kid who grew into a fat adult who's then turned into a fat vampire. You see, in Johnny B. Truant's vamp-world, you remain in the same physical condition as you were before you're changed into a bloodsucker. Not having a say in the matter, Reginald becomes one of th
Joe Barlow
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
How has no one thought of this idea before?

Everyone knows that when a person becomes a vampire, they stop aging, remaining locked forever in time. So what happens if you're morbidly obese when you get turned? What if the normal superpowers that most vampires get, like super speed, only serve to make you about as fast as a regular human? This is the predicament of Reginald, the titular character of Johnny B. Truant's delightful take on the vampire genre, who just can't seem to catch a break.

As a
Rose
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It should go without saying that this wasn't a serious vampire book. Most of those are boring, which is why I seldom read them, but how could I pass on this one? This is the first in a series and while it wasn't written as a stand-alone, it did end well.

Reginald is an obese adult who was an obese child. He was bullied all through school and couldn't wait until school ended so the bullying would stop but that didn't happen. He gets tormented regularly at work. He has no friends there but he trie
Michael Cairns
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This book explores the all-important question of why all vampires are gorgeous, toned and buff. It does a pretty good job of answering it as well.
Along the way, we get to know Reginald, the fat vampire of the title, who discovers he sucks at pretty much all the stuff other vampires are good at. However, he also discovers he can play the piano better than anyone, read a book in about ten seconds and out-think everyone, ever. He's also a big softy.
Fat vampire is very easy to read and that's a co
Melinda
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Entire Plot Hinges on Single Weakness

While you have to appreciate anyone who could create a obese vampire protagonist with insecurity issues instead of the runway gorgeous vampires who have incredible sex while sparkling, the plotting was not cohesive or tightly crafted. It seemed that the book was written to showcase the tribulations of a fat vampire without any real change in Reginald's emotional intelligence. No character changes at all in this book.

I would be so forward as to say that this w
Rhode
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-vampires
A potato chip of a book. Quick and easy to read, although the problem solving at the end relied too heavily on a complex plan going perfectly correctly under what you might call battle conditions, which isn’t believable.

It’s also slightly unpleasant for me as a woman reader to see women through the eyes of a straight male hero who kneejerk objectifies them, although he does try to rise above this.

I get the feeling the rest of this series will be the hero beating challenges due to his bulk by b
Alisa
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz-2018, vampires
Kind of funny. Kind of filled with stereotypes. Unique plotline but not a series I see myself continuing.
Bark
Jun 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: horror
Free for the Kindle (at least today 6/20/14) on Amazon . A booklikes friend convinced me that I had to have it and that I have to read it :)
Michael Loring
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire-books
It’s kind of hard to think of a way to start this review off. After reading a book like this…it’s hard to put my thoughts down.

Let’s start with how I found it.

I was on Amazon looking up another story to get the links for my review of it when on the list I noticed this story. It was free, and after the disappointment of having read the other story I felt there was nothing to lose.

That was two days ago. From the first moment to the last, I was so wrapped up in this book I couldn’t put it down.

The
Kerry *Soulcaster*
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fat Vampire was a very entertaining social satire with many hilarious LOL moments! I loved the premise of a vampire who had to spend his existence in the state in which he was turned, weighing 350 lbs. and physically unfit, making it extremely difficult to catch his prey. Bonus points for having equally quirky secondary characters! Fat Vampire had a great plot and a fairly unpredictable ending. (view spoiler) ...more
chucklesthescot
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, vampires, uf-pnr
Reginald is fat, bored and being bullied at work. When he finally makes friends with the goth kid on night shift Maurice, hope springs. Until vampires attack Reginald and Maurice breaks the rules by turning him. Now Reginald has to deal with being a slow and fat vampire instead.

So when Maurice is approached on a bowling night out with Reginald by a group of vampires he knows, Reginald becomes the meal and Maurice has to turn him to stop him from dying. Reginald's hopes of being a cool vampire fa
Erin
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy. Crap. This the best book I've read in a bit, and it was FREE! Free eBooks are just the best, aren't they? Even when they're terrible, honestly, but once in a while you find a gem like this book. Reginald is an overweight office worker for a fitness equipment company, which already seems like a recipe for socially awkward disaster. Ridiculed by most of his coworkers, Reginald finds an unlikely friend in the new young Goth kid Maurice who works the overnight shift. After one unlucky night ha ...more
Carrie
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Reginald Baskin has been overweight and made fun of his whole life and to make matters worse he works in the fitness industry with mostly perfect co-workers that make fun of him. When Reginald tries to befriend one of the only other outcasts at work he gets a bit more than he bargained for. Maurice is actually a vampire and when Reginald's life is at stake Maurice turns him to save him. Unfortunately for Reginald that means he will forever be 350 pounds and out of shape.

Most of the vampire port
Ambs ❤❤
My first vampire book - definitely won't be running to buy the Twilight but not bad. I have read this author before, Unicorn Western. Both are unique concepts, however, I feel that Fat Vampire was more successful. The storyline progressed well, he incorporated a plethora of emotions; some romance, revenge, shame, pity, etc.

I could help feel for Reginald, although sometimes I thought he allowed himself to be defeated too easily. I really liked Maurice, Nikki, and Claire. I think everything seeme
Angela Maher
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
This is a fun and refreshing change from vampire fiction in general. The main character, Reginald, is as close to a real person as you can get. The story takes twists and turns that I didn't see coming, and I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely an author I want to read more by.
 Bella Marie
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
It wasnt as funny as I thought it would be but I wasnt disappointed at all. I had a nice time reading it and and I consider it to be one of my kindle gems. Just to pass time pleasantly nothing more but hey one of the reasons we read books is to pass p=our time right?
Sarah Crawford
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ever notice how all the vampires in movies seem to be the perfect size and are almost always very attractive?

Well, Reginald is pretty much the opposite of that. He's 350 pounds, mainly eats junk food and has virtually no friends. A trip to the boiling alley with Maurice, a co-worker, doesn't exactly end up on a positive note for Reginald.

He ends up a vampire. A fat, slow, non-athletic vampire who gets beaten up by people he tries to bite. He makes friends with a ten-year old girl who has a drunk
Akira
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book 🧛♀. It was an interesting and funny twist to the traditional vampire storyline. I liked how very “ordinary guy” the main character was portrayed as, & the little quips towards other well known vampires was very clever & funny as well. I’ve always enjoyed the unlikely hero/underdog spin on things & this executes that very well. I’m looking forward to the rest of this series for sure 😄 ...more
RuthAnn
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adulthood
This was a really fun, quick read. I found that I could relate to the main character, Reginald, a socially awkward fat guy who works at a treadmill company. Nothing seems to go right for our hero, and unlike other novels, life doesn't get better by becoming a vampire.

I will definitely read the rest of the series.
Tara♥
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh!!!
Niko
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This was just delightful. I devoured this book in one sitting. I giggled and laughed and by the end I was cheering for Reggie
Marilyn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found myself smiling and laughing frequently.
J.G. Gatewood
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little too short, but a very entertaining read and intriguing idea. I really liked it.
Minke
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a new, interesting take on vampires, how they are created and there abilities. A believable and funny story. Can't wait to jump into the next book!
Rebecca
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book gives off an irritated vibe from the get go. It talks about how Reginald is and always has been fat, bullied and seemingly in his own eyes and several characters, pathetic. He wants his money back on life, as he states several times during the read.

Maurice, our other focus of the book, begins working the night shift at the company Reginald works at, he works the night shift which slightly over laps with the day shift. He's a Goth kid, with a sword attached to his belt. When he leaves
S.N. McKibben
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dear Mr. Truant,

You don't have lot #1 - #3 up on goodreads yet, so I'm going to put forth that I've read the first 3 series of Fat Vampire.

Good points:

You've made me love Reginald by pure brute force. I love him because he's not perfect but perfect in his own way. The story gets better thought out in lots #2 & #3 so everyone needs to check them out. However...

Bad points:

Dear God in all heaven, you need to stop RESISTING the first person POV Mr. Truant. It's too late now for Reginald, because
Esme
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reginald Baskin ist fett und ein Vampir. Beim Titel des Romans Fat Vampire ist das keine Überraschung. Sehr erfreulich, einmal einem zeitgenössischen Anti-Vampir zu begegnen. Das ist kein Dickenwitz, im Gegenteil. Der Roman ist humorvoll, ohne diese Klischees tot zu reiten. Es gibt immer wieder Szenen mit großartiger Situationskomik. Wenn Reginald versucht, endlich einmal Blut zu trinken und seine potentiellen Opfer ihn einfach auslachen.

Normalerweise müssen sich Menschen, die Vampir werden woll
Yeva
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
What can I say about this book? Fat Vampire is a hoot! A friend recommended it to me, and I had to read it after hearing her description of the story. I think almost everyone, at some point in their life, could understand Reginald. And what a crappy way to become a vampire - getting killed and them having to live a fat life forever. But, hey, I need to be real here, Reginald was going to stay fat anyway--it was karma...and pizza, and fried chicken, and all that other stuff he was constantly cram ...more
Fat Vampire by Adam Rex? 1 6 Mar 27, 2018 01:06PM
Fat Vampire: a comical look at the vampire genre (Review #2) 1 15 Jul 18, 2014 03:55PM
Story Telling Pod...: Johnny's word record 2 12 Sep 03, 2013 08:13PM
I Love Vampire No...: Fat Vampire - Has anybody else read this? 11 42 Jul 09, 2013 07:16PM
  • Unicorn Western
  • The Sinister Mr. Corpse
  • Warriors (The Peeling, #3)
  • The Division of the Damned
  • The Novellas
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Marriage
  • Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)
  • Blood Skies (Blood Skies, #1)
  • Little Terrors
  • Fangs for Nothing (Vampire Hunting and Other Foolish Endeavors, #1)
  • Cat's Paw
  • Silas
  • Into the Vampire City (The Human Revolt, #1)
  • 13 Drops of Blood
  • This Little Piggy
  • Tales From Little Lump - Alien Season
  • Bay's End
Johnny B. Truant is an author, blogger, and podcaster who, like the Ramones, was long denied induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite having a large cult following. He makes his online home at JohnnyBTruant.com and is the author of the Unicorn Western series, the Fat Vampire series, The Bialy Pimps, and a handful of other properties and growing every week.

You can connect with Johnny o

Fat Vampire (6 books)
  • Tastes Like Chicken (Fat Vampire, #2)
  • All You Can Eat (Fat Vampire, #3)
  • Harder Better Fatter Stronger (Fat Vampire, #4)
  • Fatpocalypse (Fat Vampire, #5)
  • Survival of the Fattest (Fat Vampire, #6)
“Can either of you do that?” he said with an erect penis in his voice.” 0 likes
“Reginald could tell by the way she jumped when anyone dropped anything that she wanted her money back for the broken promises of adulthood too. “I guess,” said Sarah.” 0 likes