Jump to ratings and reviews

Being Sloane Jacobs

Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life.

Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over.

When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself.

352 pages, Hardcover

First published January 7, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lauren Morrill

7 books948 followers
LAUREN MORRILL grew up in Maryville, Tennessee, where she was a short-term Girl Scout, a (not so) proud member of the marching band, and a trouble-making editor for the school newspaper. She graduated from Indiana University with a major in history and a minor in rock & roll, and now lives in Macon, GA with her husband and sons.

Lauren is the author of several YA novels, including MEANT TO BE (Random House) and the forthcoming BETTER THAN THE BEST PLAN (Farrar, Straus and Giroux / June 25, 2019).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 star
140 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 601 reviews
January 27, 2014
This book was just cute. It is The Parent Trap cute. Lindsay Lohan-before-she-became-a-coke-addict cute. There is not much substance to the story or its characters, it is generic, it is inoffensive, but damned if I didn't have a huge grin on my face as I was reading it.

It is a feel-good book. If you need something uncomplicated, something to make you smile, this is the book for you.

The Summary: Sloane Emily Jacobs is a poor-little-rich girl. She has an enviable life. She is from a blue-blooded politician family, with power and money. Her father is a Senator. Her mother is his picture-perfect wife. Her brother is the black sheep of the family because he wants to be an environmentalist. Sloane Emily...she just wants to have a nice, normal life away from it all. She was an ice-skating champion until she fell from grace, the pressure to succeed is just too much.

Sloane Emily just wants to get away from it all, particularly from the fact that she walked in on her esteemed politician father in a compromising position with his secretary.

It is an election year, and her family is putting on as bright a picture as possible. That includes their daughter coming back into the limelight as a bright ice skater. They are shipping her off to skating camp in Canada.

Sloane Devon Jacobs is a tough-as-nails hockey player from Philadelphia. She's got a whole lot of issues, including an anger management problem and a secret---she chokes. Sloane Devon cannot score a hockey goal for her life. She is terrified of taking a shot because she might fail. Every time she tries, there is a tingle on the back of her neck that tells her she can't do it. Sloane is trying to cover up her mental fear the best way she can---by being angry at the world.

This is a problem, because hockey is her only ticket out of town. She needs a hockey scholarship to go to college, and Sloane Devon cannot afford to fail. Her coach wants her benched, her only option is to attend a hockey camp in Canada.

These two girls will meet. Despite the fact that both girls are as different as night and day, they are both running away from their problems. Sloane Devon does not want to attend hockey camp, she is afraid of confronting her fears. Sloane Emily does not want to go back to ice skating, she does not want to do what her family pushes upon her. They come up with an insane plan.
“We look alike. Even that desk attendant thought so,” I say, as much to myself as to her.
Sloane blinks at me from the other side of the table, staring at me as though I’ve gone insane.
And maybe I have.
But the idea won’t let go: Here it is. My chance to be somebody else for a bit.
My chance to switch.
Both have misconceptions of the others. Sloane Devon, the tough hockey player, the tomboy, thinks that ice skating will be a piece of cake.
Figure skating is way easier than hockey. No one is trying to break your legs or bash your brains out when you’re figure skating. There are no shots to take or miss, which means no tingles. And there are no scouts or coaches expecting me to be a hero, thus there’s no way to fail.
Sloane Emily, the pampered, feminine ice skater, is just plain glad that she won't have to skate.
I’m on a public bus in Montreal, on my way to play hockey for four weeks. I can sit however I want, and no one is going to tell me otherwise.
This is going to be the greatest summer ever.
No triple axels. No triple axels.
Needless to say, it doesn't exactly turn out the way they planned. Both girls have plenty of adjusting to do, not to mention that neither ice hockey or ice skating is as easy as they thought it would be. They make new friends, they face their own fears, they learn that you can't simply run away from your life without eventually having to face the consequences. Regardless, it will be a summer to remember.

The Characters: As generic as you would expect from a "fun" YA contemporary, but it is so cute, that I easily forgive this book its faults. There are your usual "bad guys," which is to say the Mean Girl clique, as well as your hulking bully. There is the cute bad boy, the Lothario, who turns out not to be such a bad boy after all. Sloane Emily and Sloane Jacobs are nothing new themselves. One is the typically spoiled rich girl, she's not mean at all, but she is still an ultra-feminine girly girl, whereas Sloane Devon is her polar opposite, a tough, swearing tomboy from the wrong side of the tracks.

Generic, yes, but familiar, and oh-so-cute.

The Plot: I had my qualms about the plausibility of the whole switching-places thing, since I know ice skating, and I know how incredibly tough it is to execute the spins. People who compete in ice skating have been training since childhood. It is NOT something you can easily pick up. I do have problems with how little Sloane Devon struggles with ice skating, I know she is not perfect, but it seems like she turns into a passable ice skater with little more than natural skills and some additional practice.

The Romance: Just freaking adorable. It's YA contemporary, so it gets a pass from me on the romance front. There is nothing at all offensive about this book's romance. It is just so squee, it is tooth-achingly sweet. And I have no complaints.

Overall: Such a cute book. Not much substance, but just pure fun.
Profile Image for Keertana.
1,126 reviews2,162 followers
December 5, 2013
Rating: 2.5 Stars

If there is anything flawless about Being Sloane Jacobs it is its marketing campaign. Morrill has been launched as a chick-lit, contemporary romance author, akin to Stephanie Perkins, and while that isn't an altogether apt comparison (in my opinion), it isn't incorrect either. What I appreciate about this novel is that I knew what I was getting into even before I cracked open the cover: pure, mindless entertainment. Being Sloane Jacobs is the type of novel where you are forced to overlook the little details that fail to fit together, compelled to push aside the gaping plot holes that don't add up, and just read. For readers who were disappointed that novels like Just One Year promised endings that didn't happen, Being Sloane Jacobs is a relief, giving exactly what it says it will. For others, however, who anticipate the hidden depth in every novel, this story may just prove a little too juvenile, a lot too short, and a slight bit disappointing by the end.

Sadly, one of the best aspects of this story is its synopsis. Sloane Emily Jacobs, the daughter of a senator running for re-election, is a figure skater - one who desperately needs to re-launch her career after failing to perform well the past year. Sloane Devon Jacobs is an ice-hockey player - one with a bit of an anger management issue - who hasn't been playing her best lately. When the two Sloane Jacobs meet on their way to their respective figure skating and ice hockey summer programs, they decide to switch places. With similar builds and a desire to escape the mounting pressure they feel, Sloane Devon Jacobs goes off to figure skating camp while Sloane Emily Jacobs rushes off to play ice-hockey. As it turns out, however, running away doesn't solve your problems...not even close.

While the plot for this novel is similar to The Parent Trap, an important difference is the fact that these two Sloanes are running away from their lives. Not only do they belong to different social classes - rich and middle class - but their family issues are also vastly different. Yet, they find a thread of connection in their loneliness, fear, and inability to face their difficulties head-on. Needless to say, Morrill nails this issue in her sophomore novel, capturing the sinking feeling of despair and helplessness that so many teens feel. Where Being Sloane Jacobs faltered, however, was in the missed opportunity and lost potential for this concept to develop further. Both Sloanes, after a few initial difficulties, acclimate into their new lives with ease, making friends and learning their new sports with ease - a little unbelievable, don't you think? Moreover, they both find incredibly sweet love interests who - unfortunately - become a large part of the narrative.

With a plethora of issues at hand, this 352 page novel just didn't cover it all. Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon's growth is rushed and limited to the last few chapters, the development sloppy and lacking the layers of depth it could have had. Additionally, the guys these two girls fall for have their own share of problems which could have been explored to a larger degree as well. Mostly, however, the issue lies in the fact that Being Sloane Jacobs is far too much surface-story and too little depth. With alternating perspectives - that worked really well, surprisingly - Morrill could have easily focused this story on the inner dilemmas both these girls faced. Instead, there's unnecessary romantic drama, a large focus on proving these girls can master another sport, and a hasty epilogue that does little to the story as a whole. I wanted a novel about two girls who gained the courage to face their problems - and formed a tight friendship along the way - but the relationship these two Sloanes share lacks a true bond and the strength I wanted to emerge from these girls happened far too quickly, far too late.

Ultimately, I couldn't overlook the plot holes or missed opportunities in this narrative to enjoy the story within these pages. It is entertaining, certainly, and compulsively readable, forcing me to flip page after page even when I was bedridden and sick, but it lacks more than a little something to make it memorable. Both Sloanes are forgettable heroines, their journey unremarkable and childish, reading more like a middle grade comedy than a young adult contemporary piece. Being Sloane Jacobs will find its place among shelves of beloved readers - certainly - but it won't be replacing Anna and the French Kiss anytime soon on mine.

You can read this review and more on my blog, Ivy Book Bindings.
758 reviews2,358 followers
October 29, 2016
I really didn't think I would like this because YA Contemporary romance books just aren't my thing. Lol think again Sana.

This book was so freaking cute. It's one of those light fluffy reads that makes you smile throughout the whole book. (I actually found myself smiling.) This book made me laugh out loud and I found myself actually being able to relate to the characters. The romance was just adorable. It was such a lighthearted read.

There was so much character development. I found myself really liking Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon.

I loved how much these two developed throughout the book. They both had so much shit going on in their lives and even though they tried running away from it, in the end they both had to face this shit and deal with it. Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon ended up realizing so much about them selves and changing (for the better) so much. There were of course mean girl bitches which both Sloane Jacobs' had to deal with and it was quite funny to read about the pranks they pulled.

The writing style was great. The book is told from two different point of views, Sloane Emily's and Sloane Devon's. We get two know what both of these protagonists experience. There was definitely a lot of dialogue. It was fun and easy to read.

Even though this was a great book, it was unrealistic how two Jacob Sloane's meet, look so much alike, and switch places, but I guess that's what made it such a lighthearted pleasure to read.

Overall, I really liked this book and it was exactly what I needed after reading so many disappointing books.

Profile Image for Tiff.
568 reviews539 followers
January 30, 2014
This is my first Lauren Morrill book, and I'm glad to say that it lived up to my expectations. I read Being Sloane Jacobs after two books that made me cry, and it was just a breath of fresh air. It's is a total immersion process. I didn't want to put it down - it's so fun, so light, and so friggin' adorable. You know you're really enjoying a book when you'd rather read for a day than do anything else - TV? Movie? Go out in the freezing cold? No thanks, I'll take reading Being Sloane Jacobs with my cat. =)

Despite the fact that the story concept is very light-hearted, and slightly unbelievable - where else would you meet another girl who has the exact same name as you, who looks kind of like you, and who even wears the same size clothing? - there is a bit of depth to Being Sloane Jacobs. There's a reason that both Sloanes are so eager to participate in this life swap, and it makes a weird (and sad) kind of sense.

That said, my only real critique of Being Sloane Jacobs was that I felt like some of the larger problems that the girls were dealing with weren't really given as much weight as they deserved. Sloane Emily, in particular, is really working through something that never really gets totally addressed.

But I can't fault Morrill for loving her characters and the light-heartedness of the book more than the darkness. The inherent comedy in the life swap situation, the adorable boys that the girls meet, the self-discovery, the learning from trying something totally out of their comfort zone, the friendships...if there isn't a lot of substance, there sure is a lot to love.

Read the rest of this review on Mostly YA Lit
Profile Image for Christine Alibutud.
497 reviews84 followers
January 22, 2014
I close my eyes tight and make a wish.
I wish to be somebody—anybody—else.

WISH GRANTED!!!!!!
description

Let's meet Sloane Jacobs....WAIT---- Which Sloane Jacobs?

Okay, so there are two Sloane Jacobs in this book:
1. Sloane Emily Jacobs
2. Sloane Devon Jacobs

These two Sloane Jacobses both have dark hair and dark eyes. They both have family issues. They both wish to be somebody else. They both have some insecurities within them. Oh yeah, and they're both amazeballs on ice!

But hey, they also have their differences!

Let me further introduce Sloane Emily first.

The music in my head swells to a crescendo, the timpani rolling like a summer thunderstorm. I push hard into the ice and turn, the wind whipping pieces of hair into my face. I position my arms for an arabesque. I look over my shoulder. I bend low at the knee, suck in a deep breath, and leap, spin, spin...
description

After doing badly on her junior nationals the last time, Sloane Emily Jacobs is what you can call a figure-skater "has-been". She is pressured to create her "big comeback" but she has certain family issues and insecurities that hinders her from that.

But she still tries her best (well, mostly because she is pressured to do so).

I stand up straight and skate a wide circle around the center of the ice with my hands on my hips, shaking first my right foot, then my left, my standard “Get it together, Sloane” move.
description

She's part of a family that looks perfect to the public. With her father being a senator and her mother being the "perfect wife", she has to live up to the "perfect daughter" image, as well. The only good thing about her family is her brother, James. But, it's just isn't enough. She harbors a painful secret that her father has asked her to keep, she's demanded by her mother to be "perfection", she's pressured in her figure-skating career, she has to constantly keep up a clean image for her family, she's forced to attend this sossy figure-skating camp, AND SHE'S TIRED OF IT ALL!!!
description

Now, let's meet Sloane Devon Jacobs.

My skates, beat-up but perfectly broken in, are positioned for a shot. The puck floats on top of the ice just off the toe of my right skate.
description

Sloane Devon Jacobs is a good ice hockey player, but she is a VERY aggressive one. She's had one too many fights with other players on the ice, and this does not bode well. But even though she's seen with aggressiveness on the ice, she lacks confidence in making her shots.

And then I feel them. They start in my shoulders and wash down through my arms into my fingertips. The nerves are starting. Suddenly I can’t focus. Tingles. Pins and needles. Whatever you want to call it, it’s all I can feel, all I can think about. I have to do this. I can’t do it. I have to. Shake it off. It’s all mental. It’s in your head. I lower my eyes back down to the puck, raise my stick back, pivoting at the waist, and—BAM!
description

And her family adds to her problems. Her mother's on rehab for a drunk-driving incident and her father's all stressed out about what happened to her mother. PLUS! Her hockey coach decides to send her to hockey camp or else she'll lose her chance to go to college. For short, her life sucks.
description

But then, a chance encounter brings the two Sloane Jacboses together...and their wish to be someone else----IS GRANTED!

They switch places, Sloane Emily on ice hockey while Sloane Devon on figure-skating. Even knowing the risk behind it, they pursue this batsht crazy idea! And with this, a lot of ridiculously crazy fun things happen!!

There are first-time experiences of learning.

"I-can't-do-it" moments

New formed friendships

Some girl fights

Achievements, here and there
description

And of course, ROMANCE!!! (My fave parts, for sure HAHAHAHA)

AND JUST FUN MOMENTS!!!!
description

FOR SHORT, YEAH I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!! This was my first Lauren Morrill book and I adored it!!!

5 I-SUDDENLY-WANT-TO-BE-AN-ICE-PRINCESS STARS!!!!
Profile Image for Gaby.
483 reviews309 followers
December 28, 2013
Early Impressions:

1. The POV switch here was done really, really well. There was only one point of the book, for like 20 pages when I wished I could stick with one Sloane over the other. I always really appreciate when that's done well.
2. I know NOTHING about hockey or figure skating but it is so clear to me that Lauren Morrill does.
3. SO MANY CUTE BOYS FOR ME TO LOVE.
4. As a girl who travels a lot and is constantly mentally planning her next BIG adventure, I often get accused of just taking/running off and not sticking around long enough to be truly present. A lot of the times this is seen as a bad thing. I think Being Sloane Jacobs really explores the idea of running when things get tough and how it's not a sign of weakness but something some people have to do in order to be the person they're really supposed to be and deal with their lives in a more mature, useful fashion.

One additional note:
I feel like this book's getting compared to the Parent Trap a lot, which is fine, I see why you might say that, but I don't think it's the right fit, really. In the Parent Trap, the girls are twins who swap places to get their parents back together. In Being Sloane Jacobs, the girls happen to have the same name and swap places to get themselves back together. It's more of a sometimes light, but a lot of the times very serious coming of age tale than a ridiculous, hijinks, full of laughter and family fun tale.
Profile Image for Rose.
1,854 reviews1,047 followers
January 9, 2014
I wanted to love this book so much more than what I actually did. So, this review's going to probably be one of the lone wanderers among a number of people who may love this book. I see the appeal, I definitely do, because it's a light, fluffy story.

But if I can describe what the experience of reading Lauren Morrill's "Being Sloane Jacobs" was like, I'd liken it to getting a yummy hot fudge sundae placed in front of you, and then you're told you can only eat the cherry and whipped cream. That kind of kills the experience because you're like - "But what about the hot fudge? What about the ice cream, what about the vanilla wavers that come with it?" And all the other good stuff. (Hopefully I haven't made anyone hungry with that comparison, because...yum.)

It's a bit of a shortchanged experience. Morrill has a great structure to this particular story for what it aims to do, but you're only getting surface details here. The story's admirable, but it's not only lacking development and investment with respect to its characters, but it's also just a carbon copy smorgasbord of much better stories. And the reason why the story here doesn't stand out as much as it should on its own is because the characters lack any kind of depth or individual charm. Even the humor's just a touch bit dry and awkward in places. I chuckled a few times for some of the cute interactions, but mostly - I felt emotionally removed for most of the story, and that's not a good sign even for a story that's meant to be lighthearted and engaging.

In short, Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon share the same name: Sloane Jacobs. The former's a senator's daughter, wealthy, and a figure skater. The latter is a middle class girl worried about college and thinking that hockey is going to be her ticket there (though she has a bit of an anger problem, considering her run-ins with teammates and issues at home). The two Sloanes happen to meet each other on the way to their respective camps (luggage mix-up, go figure). So the two aren't so thrilled about the journey and they think "Hey, let's switch places, we kinda look alike, and we can go through the basics of our respective sports despite our differences." But the switch brings on more complications than they bargained for, not only with respect to their sports, but relationships as well.

I liked the two Sloane's well enough through the story, but it was the other characters that felt shortchanged to some extent. I kind of wanted to know more about Matt and even the mean girl-ish character in more detail than what it provided. In short, I wanted more from it. I expected more from it. Even with the similar vibes to "The Parent Trap," "The Cutting Edge," and maybe "The Mighty Ducks", I was willing to give this a chance to see the story it provided on its own legs, but it felt like a big chunk of this was missing something, like it was holding back on developing the characters more where it could've used the space to do it.

It's my first read from Morrill, and while it didn't quite meet up to my expectations, I'd try another read from her in the future, just to see if her other stories strike me better. But this was okay, it just wasn't enough for me.

Overall score: 2.5/5 stars

Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher.
Profile Image for Christina (A Reader of Fictions).
4,211 reviews1,649 followers
January 2, 2014
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Lauren Morrill is awesome. I’m privileged to know her IRL as well as through her deliciously fluffy novels. So, yeah, that’s a thing. Funny story: she’s in my book club, but I totally didn’t know it the first time that we were at a meeting together. Someone mentioned Meant to Be, and I was all “I love that book,” and then the room released a collective held breath and was all “oh hey, that woman is Lauren Morrill and that could have been hella awkward.” Thankfully, I did love it; knowing me, that’s not always the case. Getting more on track, Morill’s sophomore novel proves that Meant to Be wasn’t a fluke. Being Sloane Jacobs is every bit as fun and fluffy as Meant to Be, with bonus family drama, pop culture references, and rarely covered (in YA at least) sports.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions.
Profile Image for Gillian.
458 reviews1,067 followers
January 8, 2014
SUPAH CYOOOOOOTE. I don't believe a second of it, really, but who caaaaaares? *twirls* Fun, breezy, and guaranteed to lighten even the most rotten of moods.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

What a delightful read this was. I read this in two sittings and giggle through most of it. If you can get past a wildly improbably concept (which, of course I could, as I love wildly improbably concepts), then Being Sloane Jacobs will most likely charm the skates right off of you.

Fun Gillian fact: I adore ice skating. I may be the worst skater on the planet, but I love watching it and reading about it and pretending I am graceful and athletic and dedicated. The Cutting Edge is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I basically flipped my lid when I found out BSJ features a lot of ice sports. In fact, this book a perfect mash up of The Cutting Edge and The Parent Trap. A hockey player trying to skate pairs. A lookalikey switcheroo. And if that doesn't entice you, then I fear you cannot be helped.

Sloane Emily is a figure skater. She's burnt out, stressed out, and fed up. Her senator dad is forced Sloane to keep a horrible secret, her mom is exerting all kinds of pressure on her, and Emily can't take it. The last thing she wants is to be sent to skating camp in Montreal to prep for her big comeback. It'll be two long months of torture and humiliation.

Then there's Sloane Devon. She's Sloane Emily's opposite: fiery, opinionated, and less than privileged. She's a hockey player with an attitude problem and a shooting problem. Basically, she freaks out every time she has the puck. The last thing she wants is to be sent to hockey camp in Montreal so she can choke in front of everyone.

These two Sloane Jacobses would never cross paths in a million years. UNTIL, OF COURSE, THEY DO. AND THEN OH, WHAT SHENANIGANS ENSUE.

Sloane Emily is all this:

Sloane Devon is more this:

They don't meet-cute, either.

On the surface, they've got nothing in common (besides vaguely similar looks). On the inside? Well, on the inside, they both want one thing: To get away. To not be them any more. To escape from the reality of there lives for just one second. So they decide to switch places.

It was so much fun watching the two Sloane's adjust to their new realities and discover so much about themselves while trying to be someone else. Sloane Emily tries to live up to Sloane Devon's fearlessness, roughness, and freedom. (Plus she romances a totally adorable boy named Matt). Sloane Devon soon realizes that figure skating is basically the hardest sport on the entire planet, but she dedicates herself to it anyway. (Plus she romances a totally adorable guy named Nando).

I loved both of the Sloanes so much. I related very much to Sloane Emily, and found her to be really incredibly funny and slightly neurotic. Sloane Devon is awesome and brash and no nonsense. THe way she sticks it to Ivy, the mean girl at her camp, was so priceless I guffawed. Yes, guffawed. And seriously, I'm writing down some of her comebacks to use one day. But I truly fell in love with these girls because of the troubles they're dealing with inside. They felt like fully rounded, individual characters, and I enjoyed being in their heads and watching them come into their own.

Of course, the lies pile on top of each other, it becomes more stressful to keep their switcheroo secret, and eventually it all goes to pot, but in a very entertaining manner. It was really lovely reading about the two Sloanes coming together as friends and fixing things with their families, even if the book didn't go into tremendous amount of depth in any other direction (their secondary friendships, for example, were a bit shortchanged, and the romances could have been developed a little bit more. But they were still super cute). I absolutely loved the details of the camps, though. I felt like I exercised by proxy, reading about the Sloanes skating and running and lifting things from the comfort of my couch.

The ending is convenient, tidy, and wrapped up in a neat little bow--just the way I wanted it. It's exactly what I wanted from this type of read. Bonus: there are some truly perfect pop culture references, which is always a win for me (though, Sloane Devon--objecting to skating to Hedwig's Theme? Really? Judging you).

If you like cute contemporary, you can't miss Being Sloane Jacobs. I will cut someone with a skating blade to get my hands on Lauren Morrill's next book. DON'T YOU STAND IN MY WAY. I'll hipcheck you and freeze your sports bra.
Profile Image for Erin.
27 reviews5 followers
October 26, 2017
This was a calm, joyful, and heart-wrenching book. The story talks about how these 2 girls switch places during summer camp. Both named Sloane Jacobs. Both know how to skate. One figure skates. The other plays hockey. Both have family problems. Both want to run away from their own problems. Both meet just the day before their summer camp starts. This story reminds me of the movie "The Parent Trap" this is because both the 2 girls in both of the movies swap places to get something they have missed or they want.
Profile Image for starryeyedjen.
1,640 reviews1,231 followers
December 13, 2013
If you'll remember, I just about squee'd my pants with excitement over Lauren Morrill's debut, Meant to Be . That story was completely adorable and had me giggling like a school girl over the zany antics of Jason and Julia.  The antics perpetrated by The Sloanes were no less zany and no less adorable, and I ended up loving Lauren's sophomore novel almost as much as her debut, which I've featured here on the blog prominently, as it's one of my favorite new contemporaries.

Both Sloanes are experiencing issues on and off the ice, and both are willing to do just about anything to escape those problems.  So, when a chance encounter leaves them with the opportunity to do just that, there's nothing and no one standing in their way, and they switch lives for a summer of new experiences, new obstacles, and new love.  Little do they know that running away never solves anything, and their problems have only just begun.

True, this novel requires the suspension of disbelief from the reader, as there are quite a few plot holes to be overlooked and the general plausibility of such a situation is called into question many times.  But if you can bring yourself to overlook that and focus on the novel in a purely entertaining fashion, I think you'll be pleased with the end result.  It is not a perfect book, but it is definitely a fun book.  Think The Parent Trap meets The Cutting Edge and you'd have a fairly apt comparison.

This story is told from both Sloane's perspectives, and unlike a lot of books that attempt the dual POV,  Being Sloane Jacobs actually does it effectively.  The author manages to make each girls' voice unique, which is apparently difficult to do for characters of the opposite sex for some authors, so I'm doubly impressed that Morrill was able to accomplish this task so brilliantly.  Each Sloane had similar reasons for agreeing to switch lives for several weeks, but even so, they were very different girls with very different lives, and that was portrayed well in this narrative.

Being Sloane Jacobs fares on the lighter side of YA, but I think it's too-cute role reversal plot can be enjoyed by all ages. Especially since the story focuses on the girls, their bond, and their ability to overcome life's little obstacles, rather than on the summer romances they each start up.  Those were cute, but they weren't the focal point of The Sloanes' summers, much to my delight.

I knew what to expect from this story going into it, and it delivered.  Which is to say, the book oversimplifies things a bit and comes in an entirely neat and tidy package, but it still manages to be highly entertaining in the process.  It was a jaunty little read that left me content and smiling, and sometimes, as with this book, that's all I'm looking for.  Yes, it was a fluffy read, but it was a well-written one from a great new voice in YA contemporary literature.  It's a little bit cheesy and a lotta bit fun, and if you're looking for a cute read to help pass the time until Isla is finally, finally in your hands, I think this just might be the book for you.

GIF it to me straight:

Adorable AND full of girl power.
(I'm seriously going to teach my daughter to do this in her Jeep. :P)

Thanks to Random House & Netgalley for the opportunity to review this title!

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.
Profile Image for Sarah.
820 reviews150 followers
October 29, 2013
I made myself let go of my issues with the premise (with Facebook etc it's hard to believe these girls could pull this off; and while I know high level athletes have an easier time with transitioning to other sports than normal people, I had a hard time believing The Sloanes would do as well as they did) and once I did, I quite enjoyed it. This reminded me quite a bit of Jennifer Echols' earlier book (Major Crush, Ex Games), which I mean as a compliment, since I really liked those books.

FWIW, this is one instance where the alternating POV makes loads of sense--and it's executed very well. I'm really hit or miss with that narrative style, but it works here.

Anyway, this is a pretty fun read and I'll write more in a couple months when it's out,
Profile Image for Nadja.
1,509 reviews58 followers
July 10, 2017
I didn't have high expectations because I'd read some reviews beforehand which was good because I really loved Lauren Morrill's first book Meant to Be and would have been disappointed a lot.
I'm a fan of Parent Trap films and stories and I like (watching) ice skating so the whole theme was very promising for my taste. Yet I couldn't connect with our two Sloanes because I didn't really liked them (especially in the beginning). And how unrealistically easy this transition from hockey to figure skating and vice versa went. Overall I liked that the story was short, things happening fast and it was entertaining and fun.
Profile Image for Nasty Lady MJ.
1,057 reviews16 followers
January 19, 2014
Really 2.5 stars. There was potential here, but the execution feel flat. The book really did have a packaged book feel and it was obviously written to feed off of Stephanie Perkins and books alike success. Links to full review to come.

To see full review click on one of the following links:

My Blog

Booklikes/a>
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,312 reviews49 followers
September 9, 2015
This review can also be found on Key to Book City, check it out for more!

I feel pretty bad for my books. I treat them as real people, if you can believe it—not to sound weird or anything. I'm friendly, no stalker. But if I leave a book itching for me to read it for ages, I feel bad that I'm not picking it up instead of all of the other new books that are being released and those that I'm requesting and borrowing from the library. Being Sloane Jacobs by the awesome Lauren Morrill was one of those books that I've been waiting to read forever. It was pretty fabulous, if you ask me.

Have you ever watched the classic film The Parent Trap? This book is so similar to it. Minus the actual secret twin/sisterhood thing as well as parents getting back together, Morrill basically adds all of the quirkiness and entertainment that you ever have wanted in a contemporary-romance novel, with two different perspectives that'll leave you giggling for ages, even after the whole story is over.

"Either you love it or you don't. Either you can do it or you can't. And, kid? I been watching you for years, and I know you can do it. The question you gotta figure out is, do you love it?" (4)

This features two distinct girls with the same name: Sloane Jacobs. One is a figure skater while the other plays hockey. When summer vacation comes, they decide that they'd like to go to camps where they're able to do the talents and hobbies that they enjoy the most. When they meet in a hotel in Montreal and discover that they look pretty similar and both are able to skate, they decide to switch places. They fall in love with different people, learn new things and decide how they'll actually be themselves when the time comes.

I adored the concept which Morrill handed to us. There's no doubt about that. I can't get the story and its events out of my head, including the cute picture-perfect romance and all of the things that made each character and perspective themselves. The writing is brilliant, though quick, fast-paced and interesting, leaving me unable to stop reading. As I've read the author's other books in the past, I kind of already knew what to expect, but it all turned out to be more satisfying than what I already predicted beforehand.

"I, Sloane Emily Jacobs, am sitting in my pajamas on the handlebars of a boy's bike, being whisked around a foreign city at midnight. I can't even imagine what my mom would say. The thought makes me grin." (139)

When I think about it, I don't really have a favourite "Sloane Jacobs." The girls were two different, distinct personalities who loved different things, behaved differently and had a different view on life and what you should do to be happy. Love isn't all you need kind of felt like the motto by the end as well. Fame and fortune? Those don't matter either, actually. All that mattered to me was the writing, plot, characters and pacing, as well as the meaning discovered in the end. At least, those things satisfied me. *giggles*

All in all, Being Sloane Jacobs turned out to be one of those books that you'll finish and enjoy in one sitting. It's fast-paced, and unique, compared to the large selection of contemporaries that are found in YA lit today. Did you enjoy The Parent Trap films? Do you enjoy books about the theme of friendship and first love? What about starting over again once something bad occurred to you in life? This has that all.
346 reviews72 followers
January 6, 2014
Reviewed @ Enticed by Books

Being Sloane Jacobs, filled with too many coincidences and questionable incidents surprisingly turned out to be a rather cute and fun book. It's the type of summery read where you're not suppose think too much and just go with the flow and enjoy. I don't think it was better that Morrill's debut novel, this one had a bit underdeveloped main characters and stereotypical side characters who were present just because the story required it, also one of the romance was completely pointless and added nothing except an increase in the length of the story, but like I previously mentioned, it is a book meant to be read just for the pleasure of reading and not taken too seriously or logistically. And that is not an insult, sometimes we need books that are stress free, drama free and fun, and Being Sloane Jacobs offered exactly that!

Sloane Emily Jacobs, daughter of a Senator and a figure skate superstar, the polite, not-so-social girl gets to have an adventure of her lifetime when she bumps into Sloane Devon Jacobs, ice hockey player in need of anger management, on her way to some summer camp. Both these girl met at an hotel, thanks to the cliched luggage switching incident, and after their initial arguments decided that none of them are happy with their current path for the summer and wanted a little thrill and excitement. Hence, the parent trap! Okay, so here's where the unbelievable part comes in-- both the Sloanes looked very similar in appearance and thus can possibly pass as the other if questioned. I didn't believe that, even though no one in the camp knew them personally, I'm sure the authorities must have had some sort of picture identification to keep track of students. How did they pass that? Anyway, when it came to this book, I somehow overlooked all the little misfits and focused more Sloanes fun adventure. The ice skating parts were the favorite! I didn't knew anything about either of those sports, but seeing Emily and Devon work their way through each others sport and failing at it was hilarious! Though shockingly they did managed to pick it up fairly quickly. The romance I enjoyed immensely was Emily's, it felt believable and most importantly, it gave me chills and some butterflies. I was swooning along with Emily and her & Matt's second first meeting was the best! The one critique I have is the use of the names Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon constantly. If I were one of them, wouldn't it be easier for me and the other person and the people around us to just say Emily or Devon instead of using the whole name? Because of this, half of the time I was lost during their conversation figuring out who was who.

All in all, Being Sloane Jacobs was everything it promised-- a cute, fun, humor-filled book with a little romance, some playful pranks, some family drama (minor-ish) and an unforgettable adventure. It's perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Sophie Kinsella and Jennifer E. Smith. If you haven't read Meant to Be, I would highly recommend starting with that book because who doesn't love a foreign romance!

An early arc was provided by the Publisher for an honest feedback. (Thank You!!!)
Profile Image for Yue.
2,102 reviews30 followers
December 1, 2016
No, no, NO. This was supposed to be a Triple Win for me.

There are two Sloane Jacobs. One of them is an ice-skater...

The other one plays hockey...

They are unhappy with their lives and when they meet, decide to do a Parent Trap/The Pauper and The Prince thing.

Starts OK, but when they meet, they have like, zero bonding. They do not even like each other, but still, they decided to carry on with the plan. I don't claim to be an expert about ice-skating and hockey, but how realistic is for a hockey player to do a pair skating performance after 4 weeks? I can forgive an ice-skater to play hockey, but a hockey player to do well in ice-skating?? Not because she can skate it means she do figure skating! The hockey-Sloane was big and graceless. And she won 2nd place at the end? Say what?

The story was sooo juvenile, I wasn't expecting it from looking at the cover (covers can be deceitful, I know). Both of them find a Mean Girl in their camp; one of them (Ivy, the ice-skater) was soo 2-dimensional. She even says that "pink is her color". What. So both Sloane, to prove they are strong, take revenge of the Mean Girls. In such an immature way. Pranks I expect from, I don't know, maybe 12-years-old boys.

Their respective love interest were sooo boring. Both of them "soooo good looking". I had an instant dislike with one of them, when the author described him as looking like a Bieber. Yuck. And towards the end, when each of the boys find out that his girl was lying to him, it was all "what? you are lying to me? so that kiss was all a lie?", and each girl was "nooo, please listen to me, let me explain" with tears down the cheeks. Oh my, what a cliche soap opera.

I didn't like this book. Predictable with unlikable characters. I started skimming when they girls were exposed. I barely read their "excellent" performances, which was soooo unrealistic. The hockey-player winning a 2nd place in pair figure skating... ha!
Profile Image for Dahlia.
Author 18 books2,294 followers
August 31, 2016
This was a cute, light, predictable read that was pretty much exactly "The Cutting Edge" meets "It Takes Two." (Yes, OK, "The Parent Trap" is probably more applicable, but I've never seen it, whereas I've seen most Olsen Twin movies multiple times. SO SUE ME.)

BEING SLOANE JACOBS follows dual POVs - Sloane Emily, the politician's daughter who's supposed to go to ice skating camp, and Sloane Devon, the rougher girl from Philly who's supposed to go to hockey camp. You can guess pretty much every single thing that happens from there. And I mean every. Single. Thing.

I did love all the skating description and how much love for the ice was felt throughout the book, even if far more of it came from secondary characters than the two leads. As far as the dual POVs, I generally preferred Sloane Emily's for the setting - just a personal preference for hockey over figure skating - and Sloane Devon's for relationships that felt more genuine. The romance on Sloane Emily's side is textbook instalove, with zero insight into what the characters actually like about each other, while the one on Sloane Devon's side has so much potential but barely kicks off the ground. While I like the cover out of context, after reading, I think it's a shame it hints so strongly at a romance focus rather than two girls in contrasting lives.

I'd recommend this to readers who prefer their YA on the younger end of the spectrum.

**ARC received from NetGalley for an honest review**
Profile Image for Natalie (Natflix&Books).
446 reviews112 followers
January 7, 2014

For people of a certain age (*cough* in their thirties *cough*) this synopsis is probably going to remind them of a blend of two spectacular movies: The Parent Trap (I'm talking about the original, Hayley Mills version--which, yes, was decades old already when I was a youngster) and the 90s gem The Cutting Edge. The Cutting Edge, for those who don't know, is a movie about a male hockey player who, after losing partial sight in his eye, teams up with the ice queen figure skater no respectable male figure skater would ever skate with. Of course the two fall madly in love and go on to win a major sporting event with their hard work and dedication. The Parent Trap, of course, is a movie about long-lost twins who, after meeting for the first time, decide to trade lives for awhile. Being Sloane Jacobs is the perfect blend of these two stories and I jumped at the opportunity to read what was quickly becoming one of my most anticipated books of the year.

Find the rest of this review on my blog: Natflix&Books
Profile Image for PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps .
2,263 reviews215 followers
August 21, 2020
Two teenage skaters named Sloan Jacobs, Sloan Emily, figure skater daughter of a philandering senator and Sloan Devon, a hot-headed hockey player switch places for summer camp.

BEING SLOAN JACOBS is a take off on the classic THE PARENT TRAP, only these teens have have the same name rather than being sisters. I most enjoyed the parts of the story that focused on the switch rather than the light romances each Sloan found. The subplots never held my interest.

BEING SLOAN JACOBS is an okay book with a better premise than story.
Profile Image for Anna.
371 reviews475 followers
January 21, 2014
If this book wouldn’t make for a PERFECT Disney Channel movie, I don’t know what would! It's a little unrealistic, but it's also fun and sporty -- I had a great time reading this one.

Visit me at AnnaReads.com for the full review: http://www.annareads.com/2014/01/bein... Sloane Jacobs
Profile Image for Amanda.
Author 6 books196 followers
February 12, 2016
This was so cute and fluffy and fun, but can we seriously kill the whole, "I'm not like other girls, Love Interest!" "That's right, Protagonist! You're so much better!" thing? Why do you have to put down other girls to emphasize how great you are?
Profile Image for Tina.
269 reviews172 followers
Read
April 28, 2016
Blog | Pinterest | Twitter | Booktube | Booklikes | Instagram | Google+ | Tumblr

Ten Likes/Dislikes:

1. (+) Protagonist, Sloane Emily - Sloane Emily is a former figure skating Olympic front-runner who isn't sure she wants to return to the sport, especially given what she discovered about her rich, broken, politically-oriented family. She doesn't know where to turn, what to do... until she meets Sloane Devon and comes up with a plan that will thoroughly change her and her summer. Sloane's determination and bravery really take center light when she swaps places with Sloane Devon. Except for one prank that Sloane Emily played, I actually really liked how the hockey program brought out a lot of qualities - her ferocity, her team-playing habits - that might have remained hidden had Sloane not lost her posh clothes and figure skating diet.

2. (+) Protagonist, Sloane Devon - Sloane Devon is a hothead hockey player looking to get recruited by scouts but unwilling to admit that she needs help because of her recent setbacks in games. If she's not recruited, her family can't afford to pay for college because they are dealing with other issues beyond financial problems. Sloane Devon is snarky, fierce, angry yet laid-back. I found it easier to relate to Sloane because of her anger. Though she clearly needs to manage her anger, it also reveals and maker her easier to understand: she cares so desperately for her family, for her sport that she's psyching herself out. That and well, the pressure of the game. How quickly that can make you question your love for the sport (see #4). I particularly liked how Morrill took a chance by giving one of her protagonists a serious anger issue and how she'd resolved it through figure skating (and other things, of course). Another thing I really appreciated in both Sloanes was how they accentuated each other, especially with regard to stereotypes and gender assumptions.

3. (+) World-building / Sports - It is clear that Lauren Morrill did her research on both sports and Montreal. The most I know about figure skating is from an occasional Olympic match that I'll watch. Hockey is one of those sports that I have no interest in and have actively avoided... And yet Morrill makes both sports interesting and easy to understand for those who aren't entirely familiar with the mechanics. Plus Montreal! I had the feeling that either Morrill had been there before or she's just a pro researcher and knows how to seamlessly incorporate her results into her work. My only complaint would be wanting more of both -- which definitely isn't a bad thing.

4. (+) Nostalgia - Even though I've never played either of these sports, this book brought back memories of when I did play basketball. If you've ever played a sport competitively, I think you'll identify with how these girls feel about their sports and the character arcs they have to address their feelings. Personally I miss the feeling of the game, but I don't miss the stress. Morrill captures both the good and bad in playing a competitive sport, and I applaud her for that, especially since you don't read a lot of YA (contemporary) where the protagonists are actually good at sports.

5. (+/-) Plot/Pranks - Before you read this, make sure that you are someone who can let go of a premise that might not be entirely believable. Both girls work hard to learning the other's sport, but getting to scouting/recognition level in one month is questionable. Truthfully I didn't mind that, and I actually admire how much Lauren Morrill managed to squeeze into this novel: programs for hockey and figure skating and their dynamics, two protagonist character arcs, two romantic subplots, subplots for each girl's background, etc. However, one of the pranks played nearly made me stop reading the novel. I discuss this spoiler under the highlighted region if you're interested.

6. (+/-) Romance - Both boys are swoon-worthy in their own way, completely adorable romantic interests, but I honestly never felt much for either romance because I didn't get the feeling that I knew either guy or that they were realized characters. They were given a set of problems, and that certainly helped distinguish them and the character growth they needed to go through, but we didn't get to see them go through their character growth. They're cute, they're fun, they have back stories, they help advance both Sloane Jacobs's character arcs, but they fell short for me.

7. (+/-) So What? - I had this vaguely unsatisfied feeling when I finished the book. Of course I liked the book, but my experience with this wasn't the same as mine with Meant to Be. Julia got to address her problems head-on; her character growth was directly related to the issues raised. These girls grow and gain strength and faith in themselves over the course of the novel, but neither really has the chance to address the issues that bothered them from the beginning (e.g. a hockey match without feeling the tingles/anger problems; Sloane's dad) - they're sort of patched up, a HEA without seeing some of the things they'd learned from that summer being applied. This is one of those times when I actually wanted a bit more from a book. It all fits well with the cute, light read, and I knew what I was getting when I started, but I still wanted a bit more.

8. (+) Writing - Lauren Morrill did a great job at distinguishing both girls's PoVs and keeping the conflict high throughout the novel. The writing is smooth, easy to read, and completely appropriate for the novel.

9. (+) Pacing - I hesitated to write that I wanted more from the novel (#7) because it was a perfect length. It was wonderfully paced, pushing us forward with little snippets of how the girls had advanced in their programs and steadily building towards the climax. The only time it seemed slightly rushed was after the programs, when the sort-of HEA was introduced.

10. (+) The Cover - This cover does a great job of giving you the tone of the novel... and doesn't have to deal with how to portray both Sloane Jacobs and romantic interests without confusing a reader.

Lauren Morrill delivers another fun, cute contemporary romance. Recommended for a light read and especially for former sports players.
Profile Image for Samantha (WLABB).
3,330 reviews231 followers
December 10, 2020
Both were in Montreal against their will to participate in elite programs, one for figure skating, the other for hockey. Upon colliding into each other, they discovered they shared the same name, and thus a plan was born. Both Sloanes felt they needed to escape their own lives. What better way than to be someone else? But, would they be ready to return to their respective realities when the summer ends?

I thought this was a really fun take on the life-swap trope. Many readers referenced The Parent Trap when talking about this book, but for me it felt a bit more like The Prince and the Pauper with lots of skating. What are the odds you travel abroad and meet someone with dark hair like you, a scar like yours, with the same name, who can also skate. Yes, that's a lot of coincidences, but I rolled with it, and I was glad I did.

There's a saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes, and both Sloanes learned the difficulties of the other's sport. I enjoyed watching them navigate their way through these new and challenging situations. There was some great comedy gold in there, but there was also plenty of room for them to grow as they unpacked their baggage.

Sloane Devon had been struggling at home. With her mother in rehab, she was expressing herself in negative ways. Sloane Emily was dealing with some family drama as well, while still trying to be the picture perfect daughter. They also felt tremendous pressure to excel at their respective sports, and they had reached their tipping point. The distance from their own lives ended up being very valuable, and I think even they were surprised with their individual accomplishments.

I was looking for some fun, and the two Sloanes delivered. These young women may have taken part in the switch in order to escape their actual lives, but they managed to find out a whole lot about themselves in the process.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Profile Image for Leah.
1,804 reviews
August 27, 2017
I still like this story. It's cute and funny, especially the ending. I like all of the hockey and figure skating, which was most of the story. Their romances and friendships and family were minor plot points. I liked that they were a part of the story but not the focus.
Profile Image for Larissa.
231 reviews42 followers
January 13, 2014
Honestly more like a 2.5 (:

These books are tough to review. They're the ones that you didn't completely hate, nor did you love. Overall you just get a 'meh' feeling from them. 'Being Sloane Jacobs' was definitely that type of book for me.

What I can assuredly say about this book is that I preferred it over Morril's first book, which I originally gave a generous three star rating to. I have now that to a better representation of my feelings, and gave the book two stars. Anyway it was great to say that Morril's writing improved since her first novel.

'Being Sloane Jacobs' didn't entirely focus on the love interest and the main character's feelings for him, which is another reason I believe I prefered this book over the first one. In this book you get a look at skewed family dynamics and the passion these girls have (or once did)for their sports.

The sports side of this book is very refreshing to see, you don't normally read a lot of YA featuring girls in the sports. I also connected to one of these sports on a personal level: figure skating. I have figure skated until I turned fifteen, and that's usually the age where it becomes less fun and more about the competition side of things. It was quite nice to read about some familiar terms, Lauren clearly had an understanding about the world of figure skating. I think that competition nature of figure skating was handled in a way that may seem very over the top but is actually quite realistic. The other sport featured in this novel was hockey and though I've never played hockey (I know, I'm a bad Canadian), the story also seems to be accurate about that sport. For me Lauren painted the perfect world of team camaraderie and competitiveness and honestly has me questioning why I haven't been more involved with that sport.

In the above paragraph I mentioned how the world of figure skating was surprisingly realistically handled. That's where the realism ends though. I do understand that this book is fluffy fluff fluff to the extreme and didn't expect it to be national geographic in terms of real world scenarios. However two girls with the same name that's pretty uncommon? Alright I can handle that. However there's the issue that they look alike and are not even related? That really seemed odd to me and I was waiting for some revelation that they were indeed related. So they switch places, the one going to the figure skating camp goes to the hockey one and vice versa. I was also looking forward to seeing them have difficulty at their sports, because hockey and figure skating really are different sports. But instead you have them grumbling about workouts but still doing alright with the actual sports. To me this didn't feel right and I would have liked the story to be more realistic in the way that the girls didn't adjust so easily and quickly into the camps.

Even though I was previously a figure skater, I found myself liking Sloane Devon's personality and character much more. I think she had some great development throughout the book. I really did enjoy her chapters much more. On the other hand I found Sloane Emily to grate on my nerves at times and she really didn't have much development has the story went on.

There was of course love interests in this book. There wasn't any proclamations of love within .33242 seconds of the the love interests meeting which was nice. Still, I would have liked to see some more development, with Sloane Emily's love interest in particular. It also didn't make much sense to me when the big secret was revealed and the love interest initially reacted. However in the next chapters it seemed like they were completely fine with everything and things just continued where they left off. Overall there were some romantic scenes in the book but I honestly just felt indifferent to them. Which is another example of my previous 'meh' feelings at the top of the chapter.

Overall this book is a simple read for beach day that is beyond fluff. You get a look at some pretty cool sports that you may have not known about previously. Don't question things and you'll be fine (:
Profile Image for Sarah Marie.
1,776 reviews224 followers
June 10, 2017
Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

4 stars

Sloane Emily Jacobs used to be the best figure skater her age and then she choked and suffered an injury that’s crippled her career. Her mom is gunning for a comeback and shipping her from the ever watching eye of paparazzi in Washington, D.C. to a camp in Canada. Sloane Devon Jacobs is an ice hockey player who has had one too many penalties. After a coach threatens to bench her next season, her dad decides that she has one last chance at redeeming herself and he’s already talked to the coach. She finds herself shipped off to Canada and with bags that have her name on them but are way too fancy to be born. When the two Sloanes meet Sloane Emily proposes they switch places and it just might be what they need.

Whimsical Writing Scale: 3.5

The main female characters, Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon, are both strong characters that have a presence. Both of their POVs are entrancing and the worlds of ice hockey and figure skating are done wonderfully. As a child I went through a brief obsession with figure skating and loved to watch the competitions during the Olympics or whenever they were on TV. Sloane Emily’s transformation from broken, figure skater who does things to please her parents to someone who finally does what she wants and needs were well done. Sloane Devon’s transformation from rebel with extreme anger problems to someone who can take a breath and let things go. Both Sloanes have a lot of family problems and they were touched on perfectly. I really enjoyed seeing the growth of both girls and they went from being people who were handicapped by personal problems to people who were able to cope with their problems and embrace them knowing that they would get better.

Kick-Butt Heroine Scale: Sloane Emily-4 Sloane Devon-4

The main male characters are Matt and Nando. Matt and Sloane Emily got off to a bit of a rocky start and I loved it! Their small budding romance was my favorite of the two. It was so sweet and I could feel the chemistry between Sloane and Matt. Sloane Devon and Nando’s romance wasn’t as captivating, but it was still sweet. I honestly don’t think Sloane Devon’s story needed to have a romance part in it. I do like Nando and Sloane and Nando knew each other as children, so it wasn’t completely random, but I feel like it just wasn’t necessary.

Swoon Worthy Scale: Matt-4 Nando- 3.75

The Villain- There wasn’t really a villain. Just more of a girl who enjoyed ruining Sloane Devon’s life when thinking she was Sloane Emily. It was actually interesting. The drama was melodramatic, but interesting nonetheless.

Villain Scale: 3

I really liked Sloane Devon’s skating partner and their friendship was funny and light. (I forgot his name since I read this book in November. Oops!) I also like the characters that Sloane Emily had to face like her roommate who didn’t like her and the college scout dropping by. Everything was interesting and it flowed well.

Character Scale: 4

Being Sloane Jacobs was a fun story with a fun swap and great character growth. It was never a dull moment when reading and I’m definitely going to check out Morrill’s other works.

Plotastic Scale: 4

Cover Thoughts: I adore the cover! It’s cute and fun and the colors are just so perfect. It’s what made me want to read it!

Thank you Netgalley and Random House for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Christianna Marks.
351 reviews64 followers
March 20, 2014
You can read this and many other reviews on my YA book blog The White Unicorn!

An Open Letter To Being Sloane Jacobs,

Okay, so first off thanks for being so dang cute. Seriously, you were one of the cutest books that I've read in a long time. You gave me these two Sloane's who were totally different and yet both filled to the max with their own versions of snark. You gave me dreamy boys and interesting skating details. But most importantly, you gave me a great and warm and fuzzy story about two girls finding themselves and what's not to love about that? Nothing, the answer is that nothing is not to love about that!

-The White Unicorn

I'll say it right now, I'm a huge fan of Lauren Morrill as an author. Have I read her other book yet? Nope, but I feel like I need to get on that in a hurry. Contemporary books aren't my personal favorite, but every once in awhile one comes along that just makes me laugh and smile and feel all the happy feels! Being Sloane Jacobs did all of these things while also delivering a really cool message at the same time. The book is really about finding yourself and Morrill isn't afraid to make the journey amazingly fun along the way. Plus, she puts so many awesome pop culture references in the pages that you find yourself wanting to high five her when she writes about Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

The novel is one part Parent Trap, one part The Cutting Edge and one huge helping of originality. Morrill gives us two girls that seem really different at first glance, even if they do have the same name. It's a genius idea to have both of the girl's names be Sloane Jacobs. It's creates the perfect, yet predictable mix up that gives the girls a chance to switch places. They are both running from things and both have a lot resting on their selected summer camps. And then in a split second they are swapping hockey jerseys for skin tight Lycra and vice versa.

Sloane Devon was a feisty one. She had so much snark in her bones that she always had me laughing. Sure she's got a huge chip on her shoulder and a a reason to want to get away from her life, but she's still really likeable. It was a blast to see her trying to fit into Sloane Emily's high class, figure skating life. I honestly couldn't stop myself from laughing at most of the things she said. Morrill created her with some great comedic timing.

Sloane Emily appeared to be the weaker character to me in the beginning, but pretty soon I found myself liking her as much as Sloane Devon. You'd get to the point where you were just about to write her off and then she'd do or say something that was brilliant and funny and awesome. She had a sneakier approach to her snark that totally worked for her. Because her life isn't as peachy as it seems either. She comes into her own as she teams up with the other hockey players and she builds a thicker skin. It's awesome to watch. In the end I ended up totally digging both of them.

There is a bit of romance in the pages, but it doesn't overwhelm the plot line. Which I thought worked for the book. I felt like since the romance wasn't the main focus, both seemed a little bit rushed, but overall it worked for me. Plus, Morrill knows how to pack a swoon punch, so even with the little bits of rom/com she threw in, you still got that "how sweet" feeling in your stomach.

All in all I say give this one a shot. It's one of the cutest books I've ever read and I'd highly recommend it!
Profile Image for Brandi Kosiner .
995 reviews295 followers
December 23, 2013
I picked to read Being Sloane Jacobs because it was an advanced copy available in exchange for my honest review on Netgalley and not only is the cover adorable, but the synopsis really intrigued me. I love watching hockey and pretty much automatically pick up anything to do with hockey or with figure skating in ya fiction. I have also read Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill and enjoyed it, so she is an author that I watch anything that comes out by her.
I was not disappointed, because the characters swept me away. At first it was a little confusing with two main characters with the same first and last name, but they had distinct voices and they were pretty radically different. Though, the more I read, the more that I found they had in common. They come from different home types-rich versus poor, they play different sports- figure skating versus hockey, they dress differently, look at the world in different ways, have different temperments and have different upbringings. But they both face pressure of expectations, family dysfunction, and confidence and really understanding if they love what they do or if they are just good at it. Or they were. Sloane Emily had a big fall in her last competition and is just now re-entering the scene and Sloane Devon has been choking when it comes to scoring goals.
I loved the dual perspective and wasn't really confused going back and forth most of the time. When the roomies first entered the picture it was confusing adjusting to them switching places and new people being on the scene, but I quickly settled into their settings.
While I questioned the plausibility of them pulling off actually switching places, I completely love the concept and the execution. I think that it was believable that some of their skills easily transferred and they did have issues, I think that them excelling and holding up the other's reputation, that is where the ground gets shaky. But Lauren convinced me with her writing, and with the friends that came along and helped them.
Both discovered a lot about themselves, gained a new perspectives on other sports and what they go through. They also had friends that helped them discover who they were and where they fit into things, and the overall character development was good. Sloane Emily gained more confidence in herself and ability to stand up for herself, and Sloane Jacob filed down some rough edges and learned to appreciate beauty more.
Each Sloane had a romance that I think was well placed, and I especially like how supportive they were and that they brought out another side, or helped them to see both their and the opposite sport in new ways. I like how Sloane Emily's love interest had to prove himself and it was fun watching him woo her and both of them open up to each other. Sloane Devon's guy was actually someone she knew before, but they both saw each other in new lights.
I appreciated how the family issues weren't magically dissolved at the end, but that there was hard work and effort being put into healing the families.
The epilogue was sweet, and although things were wrapped up really well, it gave me hope that there might be more time back in these characters' lives but I can't be sure.

Bottom Line: Overall fun contemporary that has depth.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 601 reviews