Start by marking “Making Ends Meet” as Want to Read:
Making Ends Meet

Making Ends Meet

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Zach is just seventeen years old, but despite his youth, he has more than his fair share of responsibility. An experimental fling in high school has led him down the path of single fatherhood. Now, he holds down a job, takes his college classes online, and pays his own bills as best he can—all while juggling daycare and chores and play-dates for his four-month-old, Mae. It ...more
Published October 26th 2012 by Storm Moon Press (first published October 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Making Ends Meet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Ends Meet

Arthur
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the main reasons for divorce in the US is economic issue. I noticed that this rarely becomes an issue in m/m romance, as most stories either put cheating or bigotry as the main issues. As more and more gay people be and live together, economic issue will also become important in their relationships.

That's why I was happy to read the blurb. When I read the book, it didn't disappoint.

This book's plot is very simple. Boy (with a 5-month daughter) meets another boy. One is a lower middle cla
Tracy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I won this story in a giveaway, just for the record, and I'm very glad I chose it! Downloaded it to my phone & couldn't resist starting it, even though it was already past my bedtime. It was easy to start and get into, but I want to re-read on my actual eReader, because there are illustrations (which look charming, I think, but it's hard to tell on my phone which tends to chop pictures/covers up in some odd ways.)

So, one of the reasons I chose this book is that I have a HUGE soft spot for Gu
Leaundra
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars... This book took me back. I had my son at 17 and was on my own trying to make it work out and then I met my husband when he was 6 months. I was proud of Zach on how he was trying to do it all for Mae on his own but I was also like take the help if you can get it. It's great what he was doing but sometimes it's not bad to except the help. I thought his mom and dad were great. He was lucky to have met Wil, he was just a great great guy. I would love to see a few years down the road how ...more
Gabbi
When it comes to writing amazing stories, SL Armstrong and K. Piet are definitely the dynamic duo of romance! I’ve loved every book and novella I’ve read written by them and I admit that they are one of those authors that are a must read for me. There aren’t afraid to tackle the sometimes difficult issues we all have as we go through life, and they write realistic heroes that I can identify with and I still would be honored to call a friend in my life too.

At seventeen, Zach has had to deal with
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

It took me a while to read this. Just under a month actually -- I kept putting it down and picking it up later. So, I don't think that it is without faults, but just after the halfway point, I picked it up again and finally started getting into it. And after finishing, well -- I respect this book a lot. It is a divergence from most of the writing these two have done in the past, and from typical romance in several ways. First -- Zach is seventeen whe
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for MM Good Book Reviews and can also be found there.

Making Ends Meet is a wonderful family oriented book with really fitting illustrations and sweet characters to complete the experience.

Zach is a single parent at seventeen raising his daughter Mae whom he adores. He’s working and taking online college classes while desperately battling with time and refusing to accept help.

Things don’t necessarily change when he meets Wil at the register at Wall Mart after a
Anke
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a nice, easy, fluffy story, no lows, but also no real highs, no drama. As there are books where the drama and angst is too much, here I would have loved some of that.
Btw. the situation with the parents wasn't solved; does that mean there is a sequel in the planning?
Adriana
The cover is so pretty and the blurb is great.

Please be good!
Alex
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Overall
If you're expecting a plot twist, huge drama, or dark secrets, you're going to be disappointed with Making Ends Meet.

The story is as described in the blurb. It's a charming tale of a very young man who decides to keep the baby he and his friend produced after a misguided night of exploration. Zach is overly independent and Wil is too good to be true, but they still have a sweet story to share. For lovers of everyday romance (and who love babies in stories), this will probably hit all thos
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Michelle *mke*
I really enjoyed this story, though I admit to being a sucker for little girls! Zach was such an amazing dad, watching him struggle was hard but when you look at his reward, Mae, you knew it was worth it. When Wil came along, the missing puzzle piece fell into place. I loved watching them grow together and I loved how patient Wil was with Zach. So glad they got their happy ever after, even if Mommy Dearest tried to put an end to it! :)
Shannon
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shannon by: Michelle *mke*
God Zach was so stubborn but I just loved him! These two made the cutest couple evah! It did seem a little easy though. Like this 23 yr old guy just walks into your life and wants that insta-family so young. I don't know. I did get a little weepy but not terribly so and I really wanted to hurt Wil's mom. What a bitch!! Really enjoyed this one.
Page Crusherz
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5

I really enjoyed the story, but I didn't buy the MC as a 17 yr old. I spend all day with 17 yr olds, some very mature, but I couldn't get my mind around that part of the story. I decided to pretend he was 19 and the story was much better!

II really enjoyed reading it, nonetheless!
Vicki
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the simplicity of this book. Nothing major happened, but it was filled with likable characters and the baby was adorable. Just a happy little read for me.
Linda-Grace
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I finally finished it but the characters did not really make me care apart from Mae who was adorable
*Nan*
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5
Sammy Goode
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Zach is seventeen, a high school drop out with his GED, living on the edge of financial ruin and as a single Dad. His life revolves around his four-month-old daughter Mae, the two college courses he manages to afford, and working endless hours at Walmart. He finds it difficult to accept or even ask for help from two very loving parents and often finds himself running on empty—exhausted and alone. To top it all off, Mae was the result of one frantic attempt to figure out if he was indeed really g ...more
Amanda
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I really appreciated an honest portrayal of a person struggling with low-income living. So often book characters are put in difficult situations like Zach's, but magically everything works out from a finance perspective. There's no mention of how they paid for this or that. Making ends meet is tough and it's often heartbreaking when it's just you, but when a child is added to the mix, that frustration and heartbreak is just amplified. I thought this book did a good job of showing how emotionally ...more
Morgan  Skye
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a very direct storyline about the struggles a 17 year old single father faces while raising a newborn and trying to go to school while having a relationship.

The only “hurdle” in the story is Zach’s constant worry. He worries about being a good father. He worries he’s too much of a burden to Wil. He worries about making ends meet. He worries about being in a safe neighborhood. He worries about distancing Wil’s family. Etc.

Zach is very insecure and this is really the only angst in this sto
Leonel
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Who can resist this adorable cover? Yes, I can be shallow and it influenced me in picking this book to read next, and boy, was that a good call. S.L. Amstrong's and K Piet's novel was irresistible from the start, and was a joy to the last page. Sure, I had to get myself used to the simple writing, and had to remind myself this is a Young Adult novel. I mean, it even had illustrations every couple of chapters or so, and I have to admit it helped in my appreciation of it. This is a story of a seve ...more
mah1
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Stephanie
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, sweet, slow-burn, own-read
This was a sweet read, not a lot of angst...it kind of reminded me of One Small Thing although Zach was a bit younger.

Zach was a good guy, you could really feel the love he had for Mae and that he truly wanted to do what was best for his daughter.

Wil was a nice guy, he did take to the whole family thing really quick...didn't even blink an eye that Zach had a kid and included her right from the get go.

Mae was 4 months old at the start of the book and the epilogue has them at her 1 year birthday,
Anya
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A realistic, real life relationship story, with a baby. Simple writing style, story kinda makes you go aww, cus it is just so cute and heartwarming.
It wasn't a page turner but it wasn't bad either. However, I almost gave up on it. I put it down and then picked it up for the sake of finishing it.
It just did not appeal to me, either due to the simple plot (but then again, this is not a soap opera or a thriller), or the writing style(Wil, is just too good to be true; the simple dialogue.)
Also, in t
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This is a sweet story, slow burn romance (my favorite kind) about Zach, a 17-year-old raising his baby on his own since her mother didn't want to keep her. Though his parents help him emotionally and financially, he wants to be her primary parent so is struggling to make ends meet by working part time at Walmart and going to school part time.

It's at Walmart that he meets Wil when he comes through Zach's checkout line. He feels that Wil's attention, his desire to date Zach and include May is too
Blue Bayou .
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it ok. It was super sweet and honestly a bit chessey. The internal struggle was repetitive however I found if I skipped some of the internal angst I liked the story. Although I had one niggle (view spoiler) ...more
Melanie
I really should start reading the blurb on books. I saw this with 2 guys and a baby and thought "Yeah, I need to read this."
I didn't know these guys were gonna be so damn young. I couldn't read the intimate scenes, (that has got to be a first ever for me!) Since I have 7 younger siblings that are all older than these two, and my baby sister is the same age as Zach, the intimate scenes in this felt kinda icky to me.
It was a beautiful story, and beautifully written, but I just couldn't get past th
CB
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story! I typically shy away from stories about very young men but this one intrigued me and I am glad I purchased it. The story is from the POV of one of the MC's and the reader really gets to know him - a truly lovely love story based on the importance of family. The other MC is just as fascinating and I wish the author had done more to show his POV too because he was awesome!

Lots of great character development, an intriguing story and some realistic (and hot) sex scenes between an
Suze
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Won on Jessewave BAHAG 2012
If you like marshmallows, you'll love this - sweet, comforting.
A story of young love, with Zach juggling school, work, living and a baby, and struggling to keep his head above water. He learns how to swallow his pride and ask for help. Wil is almost too good to be true, helping and supporting Zach and not pushing too hard. He had his moment too.
Did feel zach's frustration at all the mess that got thrown his way. I'd have liked to see Wil's parents more after their ultimatum.
Even the angsty bits
Saioa
This book was frustrating. I wanted to kill Zach pretty much all the time. He was a whiny brat that was in trouble because he wanted to be. Too prideful to accept any kind of help? Ok then, but don't complain later about how bad your life is.

description

He didn't deserve Wil, didn't appreciate him enough, didn't treat him right either. He deserved to end up alone.
Biscuits
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it

I liked it, honest true, but most of the time reading it I felt like I was reading for reading.. Not really into the story 100%. I like stories where there is a child and the guy is devoted to his child/younger brother, etc... and I liked how Zack treated Mae, but I don't know.. I honestly don't know what exactly I didn't like.. it was more something general concept rather than details.
Eitherway, if you like light stories with children involved, you might like this one.
Omega696
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, contemporary, kids
Zach was an interesting character. Perfect blend of teen acting his age and an adult. Wil is an ideal. No one is this perfect. His only fault, at least according to Zach, was spending money on his boyfriend and little baby girl. So yeah, not much of a flaw here.

It was interesting how this book treated the difficulties of starting an independent life and becoming a responsible adult. It was different and in a good way.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • We Danced
  • Aliens, Smith and Jones
  • The Good Life (Arbor Heights #3)
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • The Coil
  • Fraternal Devotion
  • Bianca's Plan
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)
  • One Small Thing (One Thing, #1)
  • Countdown to Daddies
  • Adore (Sam & Cody #3)
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated #1)
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • Rentboy
  • Changing Worlds (Worlds, #2)
  • Unexpected Dad
  • Analyzing Emory
  • The Boys and the Bees
Support S.L. Armstrong & K. Piet on Patreon!

S.L. Armstrong has been writing for as long as she can remember. Art and reading have played a large part in her life since young childhood, but around fourteen, writing became her passion. Voraciously consuming every book in front of her opened up hundreds of worlds in her head, and she soon wanted to create worlds for other people as well. She has
More about S.L. Armstrong...