Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #14)

From Cyberspace to outer space, from the Dark Continent to the speed of light, the dozens of stories in this terrific collection represent the year's finest offerings in imaginative fiction.Among the twenty-eight tales assembled here are:
The Land of Nod, Mike Resnick's powerful tale of the orbital space colony Kirinyaga and how the old ways conflict with the new.
Foreign De
Published May 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Taylor
Mar 30, 2008 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any science fiction fan
Shelves: sci-fi
I love these collections and have been trying to fill in the volumes that I am missing. I picked this up at a used book store during a trip last year.

Editor Gardner Dozois does a great job of picking the best stories from the year and collecting them into one volume of approx. 250,000 words of fantastic science fiction. Almost as valuable as the stories themselves are his "state of the genre" forwards where he discusses trends in publishing, novel, movies, anthologies, and notable happenings in
Kevin Groosalugg
Immersion (Gregory Benford) was a solid story. I also enjoyed The Flowers of Aulit Prison (Nancy Kress), Death do us part (Robert Silverberg), The Cost to be Wise (Maureen McHugh), Bicycle Repairman (Bruce Sterling), and Chrysalis (Robert Reed). But by FAR the best two in this book were the two Tony Daniel stories, A Dry, Quiet War and The Robot's Twilight Companion. Both of these stories will haunt me for a while and I have to read more of him. I'm tempted to give it 4 stars just for introducin ...more
Lord Humungus

This collection had some great material in it, including Nancy Kress' brilliant "Flowers of Aulit Prison", Robert Reed's weird "Chrysalis", Bruce Sterling's silly "Bicycle Repairman" and two works by Tony Daniel. This book made me buy Tony Daniel's later novels and collections. Also was my first introduction to Jonathan Lethem, though I didn't know it at the time.

John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 John Devlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
James
Jan 08, 2013 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories made me wonder what their criteria was for the award.... but others were good!
Michallevy
English edition
Cindy
Mar 19, 2010 Cindy marked it as fat-volumes-in-progress  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, own, anthology
99-cent buy from Goodwill.
Timon Karnezos
Sep 17, 2009 Timon Karnezos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standouts were "A Dry, Quiet War" and "Bicycle Repairman".
o
Meh, gave up on this one. I gave each of the stories ten pages, and only ended up reading the entirety of two or three. Not my favorite collection; better luck next time.
Darth
Feb 20, 2015 Darth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much in here grabbed my attention, and nothing sparked my imagination. I usually love collections of shorts, but this was not my fave.
Aneil
Mostly unreadable, boring pieces. I'm glad I only paid $7.99 for the Kindle version, and will be donating/giving it away as soon as I can.
Patrick
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Alison C
Alison C rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Paul Brown
Paul Brown rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Ann Cohrs
Ann Cohrs rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Glenn
Glenn rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Marti Dolata
Marti Dolata rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2016
Reuven
Reuven rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Devo
Devo rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Mikko Herranen
Mikko Herranen rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2017
Timothy Cummings
Timothy Cummings rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Jmaloney
Jmaloney rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2010
Tim OBrien
Tim OBrien rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2008
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2011
R Davidson
R Davidson rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2013
Krosp
Krosp rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Best New Horror 11 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #11)
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection