Start by marking “Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)

Shooting Chant (Ella Clah #5)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  329 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Once and FBI agent, Ella Clah is now a Special Investigator with the Navajo Police. She walks a tightrope between the Navajo and white worlds, fully accepted by neither but needed by both. Ella's brother, Clifford, a hataali or medicine man, says that her investigative skills are a gift from the spirits who guard and guide the Dineh, but Ella insists it's her FBI training ...more
Published March 15th 2001 by Forge Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Shooting Chant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shooting Chant

Evie
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Ella Clah novels are interesting detective novels which give an insight into Navajo culture. Ella Clah and her perspectives deepen with each novel.She becomes a more developed character, as does her mother Rose. A really enjoyable read. I'm making my way through the lot!
Mary
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in this long-running series featuring Ella Clah and it gets better with every book. The recurring cast of characters give the stories depth and the New Mexico setting adds realism to the Navajo story lines. I would recommend this book and the series and will continue to read about Ella et. al.
Nancy Wilson
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series has gotten easier to read and for the most part I enjoy the books but Ella is becoming slightly unbelievable super cop--and in this book she is even pregnant. I have had six children and trust me when I say that few women in their first trimester would be able to keep their lunch down with all this activity--let alone, swimming, running and very little rest. And the mystery of the legacy of the family is a bit much to process. But it is fiction--so this time a PG Ella stopped a terror ...more
Karen
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at a library sale, I have read some of this author before but had forgotten the series. I will see which other books in this series I haven't read yet and read them. I love books about Native American mysteries - Tony Hillerman was my favorite, and I enjoyed the book his daughter wrote recently.

Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ella Clah, altho' it wouldn't be bad for her to get a love interest that lasted at some point--she is a great Native American and the mysteries are very good
Jeff Dickison
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in the Ella Clah series. In this one she has family problems while dealing with kidnappers, murderers and terrorists. Well done with interesting plot twists. Recommended.
Jewett
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The old ways meet modern terrorism in an interesting way. Well worth reading as Ella continues to battle on in her own way.
Betty
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Ella Clah mystery. Again 3 crimes going on at the same time that she is trying to solve. One is a break in at a medical clinic where only pregnancy tests were stolen from client folders--why?
Another crime is two kidnappings of important Navajo leaders--why? The third is the murder made to look like suicide of a software technologist at a Angelo Lab that produces sterilized equipment and employs both Navajo and Anglo workers.

Also several different murder attempts on Ella's life occur--wh
Anne
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery set in the Navajo reservation near Shiprock, NM was interesting, but not compelling for me. Some of the dialog seemed contrived, especially early in the book. I almost gave up the read early on because I couldn't get comfortable with the characters, especially Ella, but I continued and the mystery drew me in as I progressed. I haven't read any of the earlier books in the series and there were enough references to past events to recommend reading from the beginning, but the story sto ...more
Helena
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Ella Clah series, by David and the late Aimee Thurlo, is another fast paced, entertaining and informative read. The primary character, Ella Clah, is a contemporary Navajo woman working in the law enforcement field. Where she lives depends on which book in the series you're reading, it could be on the Rez, east, or west coast.

This series is a fast read, absorbing and well researched with good character development. Often there are unexpected twists and turns. More recent books will sometimes
Stefanie
Another good Ella Clah mystery. Not as good as the last one. It does have some annoyances....at least they were annoying to me. The first being that the authors seem to have a pattern where a ton of important events happen between the publishing date of the previous book and the next one. In the previous book they brought up a possible love interest for Ella; and by the start of this book we learn that she did date him but that they broke it off after a pretty long time being in a relationship. ...more
Diane
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A software designer / quality manager is found dead in his employer's parking lot of suicide - or is it? Something is not quite right and stirs Ella Clah's instincts. Then two Tribal Leaders are kidnapped in separate incidents. When Ella remembers seeing photographs of them in the company offices while investigating the suicide and notes the proprietary attitude of the company's security officer, the savvy mystery readers easily jump down the solution path. The clues in this story are almost too ...more
Mom
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any of David and Aimie Thurlos's books on the Ella Clah series are fun adventure, based on the Navajo Nation around Shiprock, New Mexico. This is crime fiction featuring Native American heroes. The Thurlos put a lot of Indian lore into their books and focus on characters who struggle to live in two cultures but are never fully embraced by either. Ella Clah is a thoroughly modern career woman, but her loyalty to her heritage runs strong and deep, making for a richly explicated interior life that ...more
Patti
Nov 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009, mystery
I really like the main character, Ella Clah, and her family in this series. I also like the occasional mystical aspect of the books. It's just a bit too much in that every time Ella goes to investigate a scene, it ends up that someone gets hurt somehow, or there's a shootout--it definitely calls for suspension of belief! I will keep reading them, but read lots of different things in between :).
Terre Poppe
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the whole Ella Clah series of mysteries. I like that they are set in Colorado and Wyoming, in Arapahoo Nation land and show a "partnership" between an Irish priest in an Indian mission and an Arapahoo attorney who wants to help her people. Start with the earliest copyrighted book in the series and read forward as they build on each other.
Roberta
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy , gripping ,fast, paced book !

I really enjoyed this book and would like others that like a good
murder mystery as much as I do to read and learn about some of the culture. I give it a five star rating!

Bj Hoover
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ella-clah-series
The fifth book in this Ella Clah series is just as gripping as all the others, and in this one we meet her daughter Dawn and will enjoy her journey along with her mother's, grandmother's, uncle's and all their relatives and acquaintances. What a delightful adventure.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pregnant Navajo police woman investigates mysterious deaths of pregnant animals and humans while trying to keep peace between traditionalists and modern Navajo. At the same time she must contend with a legend concerning her family. This story remined me of Tony Hillerman and his Indian police.
Greta
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you like Tony Hillerman you will enjoy the Ella Clah series
Thea
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent way for Ella to have her baby!
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
better than earlier in series
Gail
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ella-clah-series
This one was better than the previous one. It got quite exciting in the end. I just wish they had a better editor for this series- I keep finding typos.
Mariana
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, less formula.
Catherine Yee
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read and I learn more about the Navaho culture with each book in this series.
Elizabeth
Lisa Carter
Jan 01, 2013
Chuck
Aug 11, 2011
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • The Old Gray Wolf (Charlie Moon #17)
  • The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)
  • Cry Dance
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Triumph of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #18)
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo...

Ella Clah (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)
  • Changing Woman (Ella Clah, #7)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • Wind Spirit (Ella Clah, #9)
  • White Thunder (Ella Clah, #10)
  • Mourning Dove (Ella Clah, #11)