Start by marking “The Adventuress” as Want to Read:
The Adventuress

The Adventuress

A delightfully wicked novel, The Adventuress follows the rise and rise of Cathy Fox, a modern-day Becky Sharp

No one forgets Cath Fox. From her scorpion tattoo to her other worldly charms, she's a shrewd woman-on-the-make who will not be swayed in her quest for the top.

From her humble beginnings as a matron's assistant at a top girls' boarding school, Cath embarks on a jour
Published May 28th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventuress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventuress

Start your review of The Adventuress
Vicki Chicago-Marsh
I did not love this book. The telling of a poor girl from lowly beginnings who left her baby with her mother to raise & ran off, getting a bad deal with every unsuitable man she had random sex with, breaking up marriages, getting dumped, etc., got to be a bit too much of the same thing. I didn’t care much for the ending either. The book was written in British style, with British dialogue. It wasn’t poorly written, I just was never captivated by the story or the characters.
Ann  Andrea
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ann-s-owned-book
To be honest, I don't fancy this book much. It is such a slow read and it didn't even focus on one character. It making me more confuse. ...more
Lizzi
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd really put this at a 3.5. I enjoyed the way the characters intertwined and I thought the female characters were surprisingly well written, considering it was written by a man. This is a great book to read on a commute or at the beach/by the pool. It's too serious (in a good way!) to be classified as generic chick lit, too glossy to be just fiction. In terms of a general piece of fiction, my criticism of the book is that lacked depth. I would have really liked to have more of Cath's feelings ...more
Jenny
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I went through 9 chapters before giving up, which I think is plenty enough to get the image that Cath Fox is a gold-digger. There was absolutely nothing enjoyable about this book, not to mention the few times the author seemed to forget he was writing a british novel and used american language (such as giving the temperature in farenheit...)

At best, the writing was alright, although some editing mistakes were downright scary; "And Annabel reproached him for lack of vigour in bed." Wait, you're t
Amy
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to author N. D. Coleridge and Goodreads First Reads Giveaway for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

Cath Fox's shameless and single minded determination to reach the very top of the world inspires readers to do the same. Despite what some might consider a lack of morality, I found myself rooting for the anti-heroine as well as the supporting characters through the many decades of the story. This novel was brilliantly written and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Sharon
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-uk
The heroine of this novel is a comletely amoral gold-digger from start to finish. I loved that she ram-rodded her way through life without a second thought for consequences (which were few and far between). Just as I was thinking her story was getting a bit one sided, the author introduced other characters she encountered during her social rise.
Tara
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was entertaining at best. It was too contrived, the characters were not very complex, there were a few typos which caused confusion (ex using the wrong name). I enjoyed it but it is not a book I would recommend to someone looking for anything more than a fun beach read.
Ig-88
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reiciendis est vitae est ea omnis debitis. Est similique incidunt quod enim voluptatibus ullam reprehenderit. Ullam ad odit dolorem et et ut. Saepe architecto sed iure reiciendis rerum recusandae fugiat.
Jeremy Hornik
Aug 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah. First few chapters are spicy good fun, but it all gets a bit moralistic and dull. Prose is very magaziney, with lots of description. Ended up just skimming the last half, just to see what happened.
Donna
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. Cath Fox was a well defined character who took advantage of every opportunity along the way. I found myself having mixed feelings about her at different times during the book. I also found myself wondering about all the missed opportunities in my life.
Fiona James
I really hope men don't really think women are like this. Each female. In this book is seeking validation by a man and as such are thoroughly unlikeable. ...more
Amy
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
update of Vanity Fair that didn't quite work. ...more
Lynda Brunelle
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun read and I liked how the lead female was so brazen and selfish- always looking to trade up. I couldn't put the book down that's why I gave it 5 stars. ...more
Dorothy Fleming
A fun read. Cath Fox is quite the social climber and she made it to the top.
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Witty, smart and addictive. The characters were well written and enjoyed how they were all intertwined in the end. I'd recommend as a fun read. ...more
Katie
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book, I like how all the different characters were interconnected, but the story never really seemed to go anywhere.
Courtney
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though this was WAY too long, it was enjoyable and I liked it.
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Entertaining... A fun, summer read.
Wilde Sky
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young woman begins a relentless pursuit of riches / status / security.

An enjoyable story, it sagged about quarter of the way through, and was trashy but overall an entertaining read.
Vicki Steevensz
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written book. The protagonist is tough and savvy, not always likable, but I was continually interested in her life and relationships.
Natalie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept reading it thinking something might surprise me, but it did not. it was well written, and kept my attention, but nothing thrilling here.
Julianne Niespodziany
This was a perfect read for the extended 4th of July weekend!! I couldn't put it down! ...more
Sarah Marble
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Surprisingly suspenseful and inspiring.
Irma Myers-Donihoo
Jen
Feb 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Much Married Man
  • Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
  • With Friends Like These
  • Godchildren
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Hope in a Jar
  • The Wedding Girl
  • The Gatecrasher
  • How Could She
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Look Again
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • The Pat Conroy Cookbook: Recipes of My Life