Start by marking “The Cellar (The Cellar, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cellar (The Cellar, #1)

The Cellar

(The Cellar #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  27,795 ratings  ·  3,435 reviews
When sixteen-year-old Summer Robinson goes missing one night, her family, friends and boyfriend are devastated. Nothing ever happens in Long Thorpe, so the disappearance of a school girl shocks the whole community. The police waste no time in launching a search and investigation, but with nothing to go on and no trace of Summer, hopes of finding her quickly fade.

Colin Brow
Published by Wattpad (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Cellar, please sign up.
Abbie Laxson Yes,there is a sequel.
It is a short 16 chapter story called "You'll Always Be Mine"
If you want to read it it's here:
…more
Yes,there is a sequel.
It is a short 16 chapter story called "You'll Always Be Mine"
If you want to read it it's here:
Jessica Absolutely not. My 7th grader got ahold of it and while we ended up having some rather frank discussions about rape, sex and more, as a parent I would…moreAbsolutely not. My 7th grader got ahold of it and while we ended up having some rather frank discussions about rape, sex and more, as a parent I would be livid to discover that this was assigned reading! I dislike the idea of banning books but I would hope this wouldn't even make its way into a middle school library!(less)
The Bad Boy's Girl by Blair HoldenThe Bad Boy, Cupid & Me by Slim_ShadyMy Life with the Walter Boys by Ali NovakI Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know by DarknessAndLightThe Cell Phone Swap by Lindsey Summers
Wattpad
664 books — 909 voters
Stolen by Lucy ChristopherGirl, Stolen by April HenryThe Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. CooneyLiving Dead Girl by Elizabeth ScottCaged by Onaiza Khan
YA Kidnapping
114 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

·  27,795 ratings  ·  3,435 reviews

Eve
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-books
Good Evening, Flowers.

And welcome to my review. It will grab you... drag you.... throw you into a very non-cliche white van... rename you.... and turn you into my flower mwahaha! But don't you dare pollenate, because pollenating is for sluts.

He's a maaaaaniac, maaaaniac!

*dramatic pause*

Let me begin by saying that I am quite possibly the biggest crime show freak to ever exist in this world. When I'm not watching Ina Garten, you will find me cuddled under the blankets watching a Criminal Minds ma
Wendy Darling
So, so, so, so bad.

ETA: apparently Booklist recommended this to fans of LIVING DEAD GIRL? Oh hell no. That book was fantastic, and this one makes a mockery of the subject matter.

This is a ridiculous sham of a thriller (pervert bad! He has mommy issues! He must kill! He must keep all the pretty flowers/girls in his basement!) and has neither the intellectual nor the emotional capacity to explore the psychology of captor or captive, let alone make you feel anything for either. And the writing is
P A I G E
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Okay I really need to get this out, so I just will.

WARNING-I WILL BE COMPLETELY DESTROYING AND TEARING APART THIS BOOK. PLEASE DON'T THINK I AM INSULTING YOU IF I SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE.

Alrighty, shall we begin?

We are introduced to Summer (AKA a 16 year old girl who cries nonstop, is completely incapable of thinking logically and is very very very annoying).
To say the least I found Summer to be a very weak character. These are things she did throughout the novel.

1.cry
2.cry again
3.cry even th
Evie
Almost as disturbing and heartbreaking as Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, The Cellar tells a story of kidnapping, abuse, murder and mental illness. A gut-wrenching and emotionally affecting story of desperation and fear, but also hope and survival. It's a well-written, completely absorbing nail-biter of a book, and I'm really glad I decided to pick it up!

Told in three alternating voices, The Cellar kicks-off with the kidnapping of 16-year-old Summer Robinson. Taken by a stranger, forced to
Sassy Spratt
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been so engrossed in a book, so terrified by the words you were reading that you couldn't put it down, no matter how many feelings you were being hit with? The Cellar has me feeling just like this throughout the entire freaking book! I almost feel guilty saying I enjoyed this book, as it left me feeling so emotionally wrong. After the last page commenced I just sat there, staring off into space lost in my thoughts. The story the Preston composed has me feeling the entire rainbow of ...more
Emily Bell
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
What I Liked
The best part about The Cellar is its potential. The premise is fascinating and the reason I picked up the book to read in the first place. Four pretty girls held captive in a basement, named after flowers. The thrill of a kidnapping and hopeful escape.

What I Didn't Like
The writing in this book simply isn't up to par. There is almost no descriptive language. At the end of The Cellar, I sat and stared at the last page, thinking, "What did Poppy even look like? For that matter, what d
Eni
Mar 06, 2014 added it
I read this book in wattpad a few times ago....Yeah,and it sucked.
It still does.I thought to give it a chance again ,but :

I got disappointed.....again !!

P.s:The cover is cool !!
Erin
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery
Alrighty, I let this book suck me right in and I just kept turning the pages. It wasn't necessarily the writing, but more I just needed to know what was going to happen to these four girls locked up in the basement. Although I did find it a bit rushed in the end, I would definitely like to read something else by this author.
Cila
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Roses are red, Violets are blue, I regret reading this book and so will you!*

It’s like the author selected all of the clichés known to man, and blended them all together in one gawd-awful stereotypical smoothie. If you want to read something that has the same storyline but is properly executed read: “The Butterfly Garden” by Dot Hutchison.
norcalgal
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
I was really looking forward to reading the tense psychological thriller that I thought was "The Cellar". Instead, this was a subpar books filled with too many things to be believed.

First, there was no valid reason offered by the author (via her characters) as to why the girls - two, or three, or all four could not team up to overpower Colin (Clover) and rescue themselves. A few times, a character would just tell Summer (aka Lily) people have tried to escape but fail, with tragic consequences. O
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“They were as pure as flowers.”

The Cellaris basically mindless, somewhat entertaining trash. I mean I didn't hate it but it was problematic and I probably won't remember it in a week.

TRIGGER WARNING: Sexual assault, and physical Assault. The book is fairly violent - there are no intensely graphic rape scenes - mostly implied. There is a lot of physical violence against women though.

This review will contain a few spoilers so I would not recommend going any further if you have not read the
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I have essentially nothing to say. The Cellar is basically a boring romance disguised as a thriller. Lewis was a boring romantic interest. The writing lacks emotional depth, making it seem boring and annoying. The plot is driven by character stupidity and not much else. The emotions feel incredibly forced.

One more note: I hate the way rape is used as a plot device for a terrible romance. Summer's kidnapper rapes her, and it's not... analyzed in any way. It's just used to make circumstances more
Brittany facello
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mystery
I really liked this book and I wanted to give it at least four stars but there were a few things I couldn't get over...

Am I the only one that found it confusing and weird that physical descriptions weren't given? It barely touched on who was who and briefly went over what their hair color was, even the main character had limited description. It was harder to imagine and connect with these characters and sometimes I got them all confused because I had no face to stick with a name.

Why would he st

This was an okay story, but the main character came across as stupid at times.

Summer was not a very bright girl in this story. She was told repeatedly to accept a lift, to not walk alone at night, and to be careful, and she totally ignored everyone. It was like she was asking to be abducted. When she was then kidnapped, she asked totally stupid questions about things, when it was obvious what the answer was! It seemed to take way too long for her to get a clue! (view spoiler)
paula
Her name is Summer. She’s fifteen and in love with her boyfriend Lewis and annoyed by her brother and doesn’t like scary movies. But the man who abducts her from the park near her house calls her Lily, and when he locks her in the basement apartment below his house, the three other young women who are already there - Poppy, Rose, and Violet - call her Lily too.

Life in the cellar is a grotesque parody of domestic life. Their captor, who calls himself Clover, is pleasant and attentive, compliment
Laurita  Mizz

To be honest, the book had a very good potential at the beginning, in fact, that was the reason why I chose it ... But at one point it became too repetitive, even boring ... and the ending, too predictable.

It would have been great if, instead of repeating the scenes over and over again, the author would have worked harder with Clover.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I saw this at a store. The title caught my eye and of course the story as well. I was hooked right from the first couple of pages. I like that the story gets going right away. I mean I do like a story slowly building up but also like that the story picks up right away.

Anyway, second book, next to You, that I read that had a stalker and books it seems. And I heard nothing about this one.

This was a tense, page turning read. The writing was good, though at times, I was wondering who was who. We do
Ashley Drumm
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natasha-preston
Loved, loved, loved this book. Every woman and girls nightmare. Had be gripping the pages from beginning to end.
Katelyn Paddock
Jun 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ari Reavis
2.5 Stars

(Shrugging shoulders)... I couldn't really get into this story. The feels just weren't there for me. Mostly, I kept reading to find out if or when the 4 girls escaped the psycho. I didn't feel the rage I would usually feel about the kidnapper, I just felt he was crazy and weird. Summer, or Lily, didn't invoke much in me. I felt bad for her, but not much beyond that. My favorite character was Summer's boyfriend, Lewis, because he would not stop hoping she was still alive and he went out
Trisha
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-kindle
“They were as pure as flowers.”

This was a true horror story - the story of Summer's late night abduction and her storage in a house with 3 other women. They try to survive and hide around the man who's held them. He names them flowers, demanding they shake off who they were and become who they wants them to be.

Rose, Poppy, Violet and......now Lily.

But Lily is younger than the others and her nationwide manhunt is pushing their captor to the brink. But if he can't hold it together, will they die
Rian Henry
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars for me. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because there were a lot of grammatical errors. Other than that, it was a great read.
Maggie Chen
Oct 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
Oh boi, if this isn't the worst book I've read this year...

You see, I don't regard myself as a 'mean reviewer'. I hardly gave any one star rating. Cause I hold on to my principle that every published book deserves at least a star for just being published. Hey, getting a book published is no easy task, you know? So, that's why even the worst book that I read often still ended up with 2 stars rating from me.

But this one? Holy hell if this book isn't a special case.
I can't.
I just can't find a sing
Tori
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out YA Book QUeens for more reviews!

NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I remember this book when it was on Wattpad. I have to admit that I never read it, but my friend did, and she said that it was scary as hell and that I shouldn't read it in the dark at night time. Because of this, I expected something way more scary than what I got. Yes, The Cellar is creepy on many levels, but it wasn't downright scary. It didn't
Amanda
Sep 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Cheesy, ("good evening, flowers"), drawn out and boring. Yes, that's right, I said boring. How an author could take such a terrifying plot idea and make it lame is beyond me. In fact it's actually kind of impressive in its own way...

There was way too much back story, most of which i skipped right over, all of which I didn't care about or feel it necessary. It was semi-interesting to learn more about Clover/Colins past but even then I felt it was skimmed over and not elaborated on enough.

(view sp
Kristina
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book follows the narration of 16 year old Summer, Summer's boyfriend Lewis and Colin aka Clover. Firstly, the writing style is very unfavorable. It is repetitive, too descriptive and over-uses analogies leaving the reader unable to use their own imagination. In sum, it is VERY poorly done.

The writing style never changes from each perspective, meaning Clover (the kidnapper) sounds just like the 16 year old Summer he kidnapped. The best part of reading a book from another point of view is be
Heaven
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Gabby
I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. There are things I liked about it and things that I didn't. I've been wanting to read this book for months now, and I finally picked it up today and started reading it and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. So yes, this book is good enough to keep you entertained for a few hours, and gripping enough that I couldn't put it down, so there's a positive.

Summer is a 16-year-old girl who is abducted by this man named Clover/Colin. He takes her
S D
Jul 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to S by: I found it lying around
1. The author was okay kind of and her style of writing was tolerable at most, but definitely nothing special. She uses tons of stupid cliches and needs to greatly expand her vocabulary.

2. I hate the name "Dawn"

3. I hate Lewis to death. Everything about him, literally. First, how he is a felon, he was an adult having sex with a minor technically. Secondly, how emotional he is for a high school relationship. Third, his blatant disrespect for authority or seniority. And lastly, how he refers to no
The Cellar 2 4 May 18, 2019 03:35PM
Keanu Molina-The cellar 11 15 Feb 01, 2019 12:13PM
Angie Gorkow 3 9 May 21, 2018 06:58PM
Recomendation 1 10 Oct 24, 2017 08:12AM
Book Review 1 5 Aug 21, 2017 07:17PM

• Our Song
  • Vanquished
  • A Proscriptive Relationship
  • The Unseen 2 (The Unseen, #3-4)
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 05
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • See Jane Run
  • Island Rush
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • His To Keep
  • My Dark Knight
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 17 (The Wallflower, #17)
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
  • Love Water Memory
  • The Shy Girl Has a Gun
  • Greek Street, Volume 1: Blood Calls for Blood
#1 New York Times Bestselling Author of The Cellar and The Cabin. Romance and YA Thriller writer, Tom Hardy enthusiast, and always buried in a book.

Amazon - https://goo.gl/VsxKPk
Facebook - https://goo.gl/vAAGsB
Twitter - https://goo.gl/JGrC4b

The Cellar (2 books)
  • His (The Cellar #2)
“I had heard that true love is realized after a couple has experienced and overcome something huge.” 14 likes
“My mum was right: the longer you were with a man, the grosser they became.” 9 likes