Start by marking “A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)

A Dawn Most Wicked

(Something Strange and Deadly 0.5)

Daniel Sheridan is an engineer’s apprentice on a haunted Mississippi steamer known as the Sadie Queen. His best friend–the apprentice pilot, Cassidy Cochran–also happens to be the girl he’s pining for … and the captain’s daughter. But when it looks like the Sadie Queen might get taken off the river, Daniel and Cassidy have to do whatever they can to stop the ghosts that pl ...more
Published June 4th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about A Dawn Most Wicked, please sign up.
Gayatri Read Something Strange and Deadly then read A dawn most wicked and then read the other two in the order that goodreads has stated

Rane

This was the perfect treat for fans of this series and a go-between each novel. Best of all- it's all about Daniel Sheridan!
This takes place right after Something Strange and Deadly and a trip into the past of Daniel's first love Cass as he works as a engineer’s apprentice. This novelle is action packed with a race to save an old steamer Sadie Queen filled ghosts who have driven off all passengers and how Daniel met the rest of the spirit hunters.
If Daniel didn't steal my heart in book one,
Nancy The book junkie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review coming soon!
Lucy (Talk Less, Smile More)
My Rating: 3.95 stars

I really hate that I have to start this review with a complaint but I just want to get it out of the way. Once again I've come across a novella that has been wrongly labeled. A Dawn Most Wicked should be read AFTER Something Strange and Deadly. I don't know why this is labeled a 0.5 book when the excerpt for the next book is the second book in the series -_- I feel like I've been slightly spoiled. So to the people who prefer to read the books in order, be weary of novellas,
Marlene
As expected, A Dawn Most Wicked is fun, exciting, and romantic! Susan Dennard has written a novella from Daniel’s point of view, and not only does she add dimension to his character, but she also gives us a closer look at Joseph and Jie prior to the origin of the Spirit-Hunters team.

This novella is set on a steamer, three years before the events of Something Strange and Deadly proceed. During this time, Daniel's working on the Sadie Queen as an apprentice. He's struggling with his status, trying
Justmybookishlife
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This novella was good but I noticed that I was jealous for most of it and I missed Eleanor so much. She makes the series and that’s how it should be. Jie and Joseph are amazing as always and I love Daniel. I did like seeing how they became a team and the end! In Daniels point of view 😍
Maddie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Um... 100 pages all about Daniel?! How could you not want to read it?
Melanie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think if I would have read the full length first novel in this series I would have liked this more. I felt confused for a good portion of the book and I think that was partially due to not knowing who anyone was or the basic plot/setting. I did find some things interesting, though, like the ghosts.

I didn't like some of the language, so that was a negative for me personally.

All in all, an okay read.
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
This review can also be seen on Cristina's Book Reviews.

Excuse me, what are these things coming out of my eyes?

Let me clear something up though. This is not technically a prequel. The first chapter takes place after the end of Something Strange and Deadly . So if you don’t want spoilers for that book, read this after!

Anyways, I absolutely loved reading this from Daniel’s perspective. Throughout the series I’ve always wanted to know what goes on through Daniel’s brain, so finally getting my wis
Adriana
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what to do or what to say—except maybe this: I am entirely overwhelmed by feels.

H o l y p a n c a k e s.

I wasn’t even going to write a rec for this e-novella. I wasn’t! As a (loose) rule, I only recommend first books in a series, and while the novella can stand alone, it is definitely part of the SS&D universe. But I just had to.

Susan is such a genius. Or a genie, I don’t know. Maybe both.

A DAWN MOST WICKED was like the best type of candy, the sweet kind that makes you excited t
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
rating: 3.75/5

review to come.
Clare Carter
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I really enjoyed this novella! I don't want to say I enjoyed it more than the book, because it's so much shorter, but I think I like Daniel just as much as Eleanor, so it was awesome to get to read from his point of view. I loved the setting on the boat, as well as getting to see how Daniel, Jie, and Joseph came to know each other. (Joseph's powers are also pretty sweet, honestly.) The three of them are just really good characters--and some other good characters were introduced in this novell ...more
Jen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a decent short story that gave some insight to the character of Daniel Sheridan. I enjoyed seeing how Joseph, Jie and he became the Spirit-Hunters, as well as seeing how Daniel became who he is as Eleanor knows him in 1876. A short, quick read that just helped to understand a certain character better than we already do.
3 stars
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“In that moment I had her attention, and she had my heart.”

If you don’t think novellas are for you, A Dawn Most Wicked is the book sure to change your mind. This is not a re-hashing of things we already know. This is a fresh and engrossing story that I completely and categorically loved. The ending of Something Strange and Deadly, book one of the series, left me with a lot of questions and a bit of anxiety. This intriguing novella takes place right at that last scene in Something Strange and Dea
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, novellas
Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

Ashley Ferguson
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Daniel in Something Strange and Deadly, and was so stoked to find out that there was going to be a novella about his past. I mean, it's about the girl before Eleanor, but still, it's all about Daniel! I especially liked that it's written as a flashback - we start and end in Eleanor's hospital room at the end of the events of Something Strange and Deadly. I thought it was really neat how the two stories and the two girls are tied together.

I also really enjoyed seeing how the Spirit Hunte
Step Into Fiction
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jessica
Mr. Daniel Sheridan, I love you. Seriously - what happened to humans where men don't court women like they used to? When everyone had manors, dignity and honor? That is basically non-existent today and it makes me sad. That being said - this may be a novella but I have come to truly love these short stories. Not only do they satisfy your need for more of the characters we've grown to love but it also, usually, gives you a look in to a different characters mind and their history. This novella is ...more
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is a story about Daniel and his past, how he met Jie, and how he left the girl he loved behind.

First I have to say that having this listed as the pre-quel novella (0.5) on Goodreads is a joke! The beginning of this book has a recap of the last chapter of ‘Something Strange and Deadly’, and should definitely not be read before the first book!!

That being said, this was an okay story, but I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as the first book in
Alexa
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though it’s not very long to go now till A Darkness Strange and Lovely is released, perhaps you want to satisfy your craving by reading the recently released novella, A Dawn Most Wicked. If you’re like me and have a huge soft spot for Daniel, you’re going to love this story! The reader is given a glimpse into Daniel’s past, in particular during the time that he’s on the Sadie Queen. Readers get a glimpse of his intellect, kindness and his passion – and it will certainly make you want more! I fin ...more
Sharon L
I'm DNF this book after more than 50% and some attempts I just skimmed through the rest. The idea of ghosts and zombies here was original. The writing is fairly okay, but I failed to feel the period of time and more importantly I kept waiting for it to get interesting and it didn't.

The novella failed to catch my interest. Daniel's voice is dull, boring, he is a lovely boy but that's about it.

I'll probably try to read the first book in the series, and hope it would be better than this since it'
Gayatri
This book was a short novella on Daniel Sheridan from the first book. Let me make something clear first of all. This is NOT a prequel. This contains spoilers from the first book as well as an excerpt from the second book so read the first book before you read this book. Luckily, thats what i did. So we saw Daniel's past love life and it was extremely bittersweet because he left Cassidy but, future with Eleanor is right around the corner. I loved Daniel in the first book, this just gives you a fe ...more
Jodi Meadows
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A DAWN MOST WICKED stars Daniel, the (swoony) love interest in SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY. Well-written and quickly paced, this story is well worth reading for both newcomers to the series, and established fans. (The frame might be a tad bit spoilery for SSAD, but not offensively so.) I loved having the chance to see through Daniel's eyes and learn more about the part of himself he hides from others.
Amie Kaufman
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Ladies (and gentlemen), brace yourselves. Packed with action and lots of close ups of the swoonworthy Daniel, this novella is a thrilling read all on its own, and doubly fantastic for offering a glimpse at just what went into making him the way he is. You'll see more than one familiar face, and what you learn about what came before will colour your view of what comes later on in the story of Eleanor and the Spirit Hunters.
Jessica Shelley
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Really enjoyed getting to know Daniels back story and how he came to meet the spirit hunters. Was just as action packed as the books and intense! So sad to see this world go! Desperately hope that Dennard might do more with the world in the future but for now fingers crossed I fall in love with Truthwitch just as much as I did with the Something Strange and Deadly trilogy!
Meredith
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this. Just loved it. Such a fun glimpse into the life of Daniel and the Spirit Hunters before they became THE SPIRIT HUNTERS. I really felt like I got to know Daniel, Joseph and Jie more intimately. (And the scene where they all first meet is priceless). This story is compelling and creepy in the same breath, and paints a vivid image of nineteenth century New Orleans. A GREAT read.
Alexandra Ray
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
THAT. WAS. SO FREAKING GOOD I CAN'T EVEN SAY ANYTHING ELSE.

If you loved Something and Strange Deadly then you will LOVE A Dawn Most Wicked. Just get it and read it and love it. End of discussion.
Erin Arkin
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cover-love, zombies, series, ya
GAH - Daniel! I love him and it was great to get in his head. Also, the peek into A Darkness Strange and Lovely...the only thing better would be if I had a copy in my hand.

Carmen
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved being in Daniel's head! This story had a perfect balance of love, friendship, desire, humor, and creepy bloody action!
Stacee
I absolutely love Daniel. And now I love him even more since I've been in his head. I cannot wait for ADSaL. I refused to even read the teaser at the end.
Kelly
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read it. Liked it a lot. Excited for book 2 even more now!
Peggy
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2013
Loved this! Daniel is such a fascinating character-- it was great to see things from his point of view, and it was so well written.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #0.5)
  • Languish (Haunting Violet #1.5)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Bad Yeti (Kate Grable, #1.5)
  • Other Worlds
  • Shattered (Shade, #3.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Captive (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1.1)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Spore: The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.5)
Susan Dennard has come a long way from small-town Georgia. With a masters degree in marine biology, she got to travel the world—six out of seven continents, to be exact (she’ll get to Asia one of these days!)—before she settled down as a full-time novelist and writing instructor.

She is the author of the New York Times bestselling Witchlands as well as the Something Strange & Deadly series. Whe

Something Strange and Deadly (3 books)
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Strange and Ever After (Something Strange and Deadly, #3)
“You all right? Mr. Boyer fought that ghost off you.” “No,” I groaned. “I’m not all right.” “Well, get up anyway.” 0 likes