Start by marking “Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1

Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, Vol. 1

(The Books of Magic)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Tim Hunter, the celebrated boy magician created by Neil Gaiman, returns in a new series plotted by Neil Gaiman himself! Taking place ten minutes into the future, in alternate universes where battles on Earth and Faerie overlap, this new take on the Hunter is loaded with dystopian undercurrents and psychological horror, set against a background of contemporary global politi ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Books of Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Books of Magick

Trin
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
A Books of Magic AU in which everything is very different from the world Neil Gaiman first laid out. Namely, everyone is an unsympathetic asshole. Strictly as a horror comic, this is pretty awesome—Spencer has a lot of ideas that are original and very scary. But he made me hate everybody, including characters I usually love. A universe where you’ve got no reason to root for John Constantine is a sad, sad place, and I don’t want to hang out there.
Dan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
DC universe magic users is not enough to make this interesting.
Petabyte
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
You'll probably want to read up on Hellblazer and Books of Magick before you dive into this volume, but even without the backlist you'll be mesmerised by all the weird, cool, and yes ... magickal things this one will show you.
Mare S
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
The illustrations are great. The concept is interesting. But it didn't quite pull it off to a level I hoped for. Worth it for the great illustrations.
Ron
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main body of the story (issues 1-12) start off beautifully, such a fun set-up - then it peters out and falters through about 40% to the end - - but the follow-up short (issues 12-15) has the job of playing clean up to the rushed finish, and those three issues are really good again.
Published at an awkward point in comics, and flogging a few dead horses w/ characters learning that gay people walk among us - which probably felt like progress at the time, and now feels awkward and heavy-handed.
I
Acturi
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is one of those deals where I wonder if it would have been more interesting if I had read it when it first came out.

It's not a terrible comic, but mostly it now falls under the category of "like Fables, but not as good." It reads like a rip-off of Fables, but a poorly done one. Which of course it isn't, given that it came out first.

But really, this comic just makes me want to read more Fables.
LemontreeLime
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Woefully disappointing in some ways, interesting in others. As someone who read all the original stories of the character Tim Hunter when they were coming out, meeting this adult version is just a let down. A vastly altered Zatanna and Constantine continue the disturbance. Treating a fairy war as a variation of the wars we deal with today, with terrorists and such, that was a good touch. But man, they just had to turn Tim into a druggie wanker, i expected more than that.
Jeff Raymond
I've had this on my list to read for at least 5 years now, probably closer to 7 or 8, and I can totally see why I would have been drawn to this really weird, really different tale. Learning that it's based on a Gaiman story might be why it, at least in part, wasn't totally my cup of tea, but more often than not it's that it was a little more weird and disjointed for my tastes. Too much of it just wasn't doing the trick for me.

Not a bad read, just not great and not for me.
Enrique Cisneros
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
La mejor frase de la historia: (en medio un un campo de batalla): "Solo falta que llegue el hada de los dientes a salvarnos, excepto que no va a llegar porque esta empalada alla abajo..." Este es el tipo de historia y humor en el libro. Altamente recomendable.
angelette
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Considering that I loved the whole BoM universe... this two stars rating is really pathetic.
Susan Haines
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Overly confusing and definitely written for a male audience.
Jose
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ineresting read...I like the illustrations..awesome imagination.
David
Sep 06, 2007 marked it as to-read
Note to self: Read Hellblazer first.
Linda Weaver
  • The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 8: Spontaneous Generation
  • House of Mystery, Volume 8: Desolation
  • Hellblazer Presents: Chas - The Knowledge
British Writer and editor for both comics and television. Best known in the US for his work at DC/Vertigo.

The Books of Magic (10 books)
  • The Books of Magic
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 2: Summonings
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 4: Transformations
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 5: Girl in the Box
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 6: The Burning Girl
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 7: Death After Death
  • Books of Magic Book One (Arcana: The Books of Magic)
  • Books of Magic Book Two