Start by marking “Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)

Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,277 Ratings  ·  296 Reviews
Joan Bennet is tired of being a wallflower. Thanks to some deliciously scandalous—and infamous—stories, she has a pretty good idea of what she's missing as a spinster. Is even a short flirtation too much to ask for?

Tristan, Lord Burke, recognizes Joan at once for what she is: trouble. Not only is she his best friend's sister, she always seems to catch him at a disadvantage
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Scandals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Other Scandals

Caz

Oh, what a lovely book! There was no melodrama; there were no huge angst-fests, no mysteries to solve, no evil ex-lovers or relatives out to steal the heroine’s fortune; no big misunderstandings or unexpected pregnancies… this was a story about two people finding each other and falling in love, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Tristan, Viscount Burke and Joan Bennet have been vaguely acquainted with each other since childhood. Tristan is a close friend of Joan’s brother, Douglas, and
Daniella
Apr 16, 2016 Daniella rated it liked it
(3.75 rounded down to 3.)

Just a quick review because I'm feeling super sick today.

Love and Other Scandals was such a ridiculously entertaining read, especially during the first 50%. I absolutely adored Joan. In fact, she's probably one of the best heroines I've encountered in both HR and CR books ever. Such a high praise, I know, but man, she was amazing with her witty comebacks and sarcastic remarks. I loved how she put Tristan in his place.

Tristan, in comparison, felt like a flat character--e
Elizabeth
May 24, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Formulaic but hella fun. No ridiculous angst, plenty of frocks, good attitude toward sex. Language felt a little more 1922 than 1822 at moments but historical accuracy really wasn't the goal now was it?
Caz
I've given this an A- for the story and a B+ for narration at AudioGals, so let's call it 4.5 stars.

Love and Other Scandals was one of my favourite books of last year. It’s a splendidly written story, full of humour, snappy dialogue and delicious sexual tension, and I’m pleased to say that I found the audio version just as enjoyable.

One of my favourite things about the story is that, other than two people falling in love, not very much happens. There are no spies, pirates, evil relatives, swappe
Lisa
Jul 11, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Ever since Tristan, Lord Burke, burst into Joan's bedroom as a child she has been half in love with him. When fetching a promise from her brother one morning she is greeted by Tristan all grown up and the sparks, and snipping, fly between them both. When Joan's parents leave town suddenly, she is left in the care of her aunt who sees that Joan's fashion choices, which are guided by her mother and the height of fashion, are all wrong and helps Joan feel comfortable in some different dresses. Coup ...more
Lover of Romance
I recently discovers Caroline Linden has a well talented author. I have only read one of her books so far, but loved every moment of it. I was very excited when I saw that Love and Other Scandals was available for review through Avon and Edelweiss. The cover alone made me dizzy with excitement. One of the small aspects of the book that I enjoyed, was that in the book the heroine really does where a beautiful gold gown, just like on the cover. It doesn't happen too often, where the cover is what ...more
Katie
9/12/14

Five stars for pure enjoyment! I'd read one book by Linden before (What a Gentleman Wants) and while I don't remember the content of the book, I remember it left me in that in between place of not being compelled to check out more books by the author, but also not deciding I would NEVER EVER read her again.

So when I came across this and the description and reviews were great, I was happy to give it a try. AND I'M SO GLAD I DID.

This was just the kind of romance I like. Lots of "You annoy m
Juliana Philippa
Enjoyable, light-hearded read with some laugh-out-loud exchanges between the main characters

Technically I started this book in August 2013, but the fact that I just finished it today (July 11, 2015) should not reflect on the book - I put it down, life got in the way, and now that I'm finally reading again, I unearthed it and started over. And it was a super enjoyable read, so I'm glad that I did!

OVERALL:
Really enjoyed this book; the main characters are immensely likable and relatable, there are
Remy Kripton
Feb 14, 2016 Remy Kripton rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-read
4 Stars...!

Charming, quite, simple, Elegant...!
I like the simplicity of the book. I liked Tristian and Joan(loved the name Joan;))

The book was Charming through and through. Although it didn't have all that masala I never got the feeling it was missing something... It won over my heart.. :)
Ki
Jul 25, 2014 Ki rated it really liked it
(Original post at Doing Some Reading)

I love Caroline Linden!!! This book was fantastic and I believe it’s a great start in a new series~ It has been a while since I read a book from Caroline -besides her anthology with the famous Four Ladies in their latest At the Duke’s Wedding- but this was a great story!!!

Joan Bennet is a over due wallflower turning into a spinster in her almost-last year of the season in London. She’s too plump to look gentle, too tall for a lady, has no sense of style -due
Gio

Safe No Cheating
(view spoiler)
June
Aug 12, 2013 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caroline Linden's Love and Other Scandals is fun, entertaining, easy quick read, emphasis on the easy, for this book is pretty much predictable and there are very little action. The cast of characters are likeable, if not a tiny bit silly. But the true highlight of this book is the bickering between Joan and Tristan, they're completely liven up this book.
If you're looking for something to make you laugh without too much thinking, then Caroline Linden is one of authors to go for :)
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
3.5 Stars

I do love a good best friend's sister romance and Love and Other Scandals was a decent example of this theme. The basic plot is that Joan Bennet is on her way to being a spinster and really just wants a little excitement in her life. But, what she gets is her brother's best friend, Tristan, who knows just how to get her in a rage especially when he kisses her without warning. Things get more complicated when Joan's parents and brother leave town and Tristan is asked (by her brother) to
sraxe
Right from the prologue, I was hooked. I was almost afraid to continue because of how much I liked the beginning. The last time I was this hooked to the opening chapter of a book, it disappointed me terribly. But....I decided to continue.

I honestly adored almost every character that was introduced. Tristan, Lord Burke, and Joan, Miss Bennet, have such a refreshing maturity. It's sad how rare it is to find characters that are so level-headed.

Joan had me hooked from the prologue because I loved th
Erica Anderson
Sep 09, 2013 Erica Anderson rated it it was amazing
This book really worked for me, though I can't put my finger on exactly why. The trope here is wicked rake (Tristan) falls for Amazon spinster (Joan). And, unlike many books with this trope, I actually believed that Tristan was attracted to Joan. Admittedly, it's her bosom he falls for first, but he quickly sees there's much more to Joan than her forwardness and height (which is what everyone else sees). Linden does a great job of conveying the way love makes virtues of flaws and beauty of plain ...more
Mrs Giggles
Sep 25, 2013 Mrs Giggles rated it really liked it
Caroline Linden usually serves up stories with angst and sad faces, but Love And Other Scandals is a change of pace. The angst is minimal, and the focus is on the hero and the heroine trying their best to thumb up their nose at one another.

Joan Bennet's brother, Douglas, is a good friend of Tristan Burke, a viscount who happens to get his title because his late uncle had no male offspring. Douglas and Tristan knew each other from way back, and Joan remembers that one particular holiday season wh
Heliga
Sep 27, 2013 Heliga rated it it was ok
1.5 stars.

I can't really decide if I should round up to two stars or down to one star, but I know I didn't enjoy reading this book. The first couple of chapters seemed promising, but I had barely read a hundred pages before I realized I was hopelessly bored. The plot in this book is almost non-existent, and the characters don't have enough depth make up for it. There were so many pages where my eyes just sort of glazed over as I was reading, and I had to reread the page again.

The worst thing ab
Dawn
Jun 14, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it
I liked it. Not a lot of action. Mostly Joan and Tristan getting to know each other and fall in love. I liked the fact that Joan was portrayed as rather plain and plump. Tristan didn't see her that way though. They were forced together by her brother who asked Tristan, his best friend and notorious rake, to watch over her while he went out of town. Naturally, we knew where that would lead. The obstacles they had to overcome were from her family as well as his attitude against settling down. But ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Apr 17, 2014 Laura (Kyahgirl) rated it liked it
3/5; 3 stars; B

This was my first book by this author. It was an enjoyable, if somewhat bland, story.
A few things really baffled me about the characters. (view spoiler)
Suzanne
Oct 23, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Not one of the greek chorus of admirers on this one. Although the romantic couple were sweet, I was not drawn to them or their dilemmas! It could have been the slow pace of the story or I simply could not relate to the characters. I took a long time reading this one, but it never worked for me.
Liv
Jan 07, 2014 Liv rated it liked it
I really liked the hero, green-eyed rake, Tristan, Lord Burke, just as much as the heroine, sweet spinster, Joan Bennett. It's a nice story, especially with the cute inserts of childhood scenes with Joan, her brother and his wild, hyper, friend, Tristan.

As adults, I kept wondering why Joan was a spinster, but it was apparent she was misguided by her controlling mother who didn't know how to fit Joan in clothes that were flattering to her body type. In that era, they didn't have a guide for "how
Manda Collins
Aug 10, 2013 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing
I loved this story of a sharp tongued spinster who captivates a her brother's best friend, a dashing rake who's not nearly as wild as he's painted.
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 30, 2013
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Rushed Ending
Favorite Tropes: Realistically Sized Heroine, Reformed Rake, Enemies to Lovers

This delightful historical romp had so many of the things that I love in romance — a realistica
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Apr 12, 2015 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Joan isn’t very good at being fashionable. She’s too tall, too curvy, yet she tries to wear the clothes, the hats, and the hairstyles popular for her more dainty peers. As a result, she isn’t very popular with gentlemen. Her frankness and independent spirit don’t help either. She yearns for some freedom and a chance at romance, but neither looks especially forthcoming.

Tristan is her brother’s best friend. He is also a notorious rake and hellraiser who has no intention of being shackled
Michelle
Jul 10, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
I’m a big fan of historical romances and am always eager to try new authors so when I got a chance at reading the new Caroline Linden, I couldn’t pass it up! Joan Bennet has been on the market for years. She’s reached the age when she’s pretty sure she’ll be a spinster for life but she’s not quite ready to give up. When her mother takes sick and her parents leave for the country to recuperate, she’s given a chance for adventure by staying in the city with her widowed aunt. Joan explores her life ...more
Alyssa
Jul 31, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Tristan, Lo
Angela
Apr 29, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it
This book changes as you read it. The first 30% had me laughing out loud (I loved Joan's sass, especially when she's messing with her brother). In the middle Tristan is courting her with flowers and one pretty awesome date. Then the last 20% peters out with a bunch of he loves me/he loves me not communication nonsense. If it weren't for this last part, I'd say it was a 5 star read.
Lesleya
Feb 26, 2016 Lesleya rated it liked it
Enjoyed this, started right off but slowed a bit in the middle. The ending was satisfying though tied up quite simply and easily. The conflict was not well developed IMO but the relationship building and the hero and heroine were enjoyable to follow. I would recommend it as an easy fun, no stress read.
LuvGirl
Jul 07, 2015 LuvGirl marked it as sampled-dont-want-to-read
Read up to 33%. Liked the rakish hero and outspoken heroine at first and the banter but things started to get a little predictable and boring , the hero didn't think the heroine attractive at all with her ugly clothes and her little girl hair styles and I didn't feel the need to pick it back up.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 05, 2015 12:14PM
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3)
  • I Married the Duke (The Prince Catchers, #1)
  • A Rake's Midnight Kiss (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • Sins of a Wicked Princess (Sinners Trio, #3)
  • A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • The Spinster's Secret
Caroline Linden earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Now the author of fourteen books, she lives in New England.

Sign up for her newsletter at http://www.carolinelinden.com/ to stay informed about her books.
More about Caroline Linden...

Scandalous (5 books)
  • It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • A Study in Scandal (Scandalous, #2.5)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)

“You said yourself she’s trouble. I’m doing you a favor, really—should you ever encounter her, you have my permission to run the other way.” Tristan just grunted and snapped his fingers at the boy to fetch his clothes. Trouble, yes; but even more dangerous than Bennet suspected. Because Tristan didn’t want to run the other way when he saw Miss Bennet, as vexing as she was. He wanted to best her, to leave her speechless; he wanted to hear her confess that she was wrong and he was right, about anything at all. And most worrisome of all, he wanted to kiss her senseless when she did so. Maybe even before. He must be cracked in the head.” 1 likes
“He didn’t want to run the other way when he saw Miss Bennet, as vexing as she was. He wanted to best her, to leave her speechless; he wanted to hear her confess that she was wrong and he was right, about anything at all. And most worrisome of all, he wanted to kiss her senseless when she did so. Maybe even before. He must be cracked in the head.” 1 likes