Start by marking “Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)

Love and Other Scandals

(Scandalous #1)

Joan Bennet is tired of being a wallflower. Thanks to some deliciously scandalous—and infamous—stories, she has a pretty good idea of what she's missing as a spinster. Is even a short flirtation too much to ask for?

Tristan, Lord Burke, recognizes Joan at once for what she is: trouble. Not only is she his best friend's sister, she always seems to catch him at a disadvantage
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Scandals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Other Scandals

Jilly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was bodice-rippingly good!

Our two lovers are Tristan and Joan. I have to admit that when I picture a girl named Joan, I think of a chain-smoker who works in accounting and wants to know why you think you can put your massage & lunch bill on your expense account. Listen, Joan, this job makes me stressed, okay? Besides, you have expressly forbade me from eating out of the tupperware in the breakroom fridge anymore. A girl's gotta eat.

Wait, was the crushed up oxy supposed to be a deterrent
Caz

Oh, what a lovely book! There was no melodrama; there were no huge angst-fests, no mysteries to solve, no evil ex-lovers or relatives out to steal the heroine’s fortune; no big misunderstandings or unexpected pregnancies… this was a story about two people finding each other and falling in love, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Tristan, Viscount Burke and Joan Bennet have been vaguely acquainted with each other since childhood. Tristan is a close friend of Joan’s brother, Douglas, and
Hollis
This might seem like just another wallflower & rake match-up but it was so much more.. and so much fun! Linden's writing is clever, smart, sweet, and makes you feel all sorts of things. It's also funny. I loved seeing Joan, the unfashionably tall, too plump, horribly dressed, almost-a-spinster be appreciated but I also loved that Tristan was more than just a wild rake for no reason but a desire to be that way. His backstory is rather tragic and yet he isn't woe is me about it. The way these ...more
Caz
I've given this an A- for the story and a B+ for narration at AudioGals, so let's call it 4.5 stars.

Love and Other Scandals was one of my favourite books of last year. It’s a splendidly written story, full of humour, snappy dialogue and delicious sexual tension, and I’m pleased to say that I found the audio version just as enjoyable.

One of my favourite things about the story is that, other than two people falling in love, not very much happens. There are no spies, pirates, evil relatives, swappe
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun, though with a few drawbacks. The best was Joan's strong sense of self, though with some complications that added depth. I liked Tristan, too, but in kind of a "meh" way and largely in his relation with Joan.

The story really hinges on Joan. She's tall and well-endowed and that makes her appear plump and plain given the fashion at the time. Further, her mother gives her all the wrong feedback because she's so eager for Joan to be "fashionable" and encourages the worst styles
Elizabeth
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Formulaic but hella fun. No ridiculous angst, plenty of frocks, good attitude toward sex. Language felt a little more 1922 than 1822 at moments but historical accuracy really wasn't the goal now was it?
Lover of Romance
I recently discovers Caroline Linden has a well talented author. I have only read one of her books so far, but loved every moment of it. I was very excited when I saw that Love and Other Scandals was available for review through Avon and Edelweiss. The cover alone made me dizzy with excitement. One of the small aspects of the book that I enjoyed, was that in the book the heroine really does where a beautiful gold gown, just like on the cover. It doesn't happen too often, where the cover is what ...more
Shannon Gallagher
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance readers; anyone who loves central love stories
May I just say how thoroughly enchanted I am with Caroline Linden. This is the first book I've read from her and my heart is bursting to read the next. So pleasantly surprised by the style of her writing.

I'm not sure if all her stories are fashioned primarily with a love story or if some are peppered with intrigue and mystery, but I will take a well written, deeply affectionate, love story over a heavy plot of regency intrigue any day.

This story also ends a bit differently than most romances I'
Juliana Philippa
Enjoyable, light-hearded read with some laugh-out-loud exchanges between the main characters

Technically I started this book in August 2013, but the fact that I just finished it today (July 11, 2015) should not reflect on the book - I put it down, life got in the way, and now that I'm finally reading again, I unearthed it and started over. And it was a super enjoyable read, so I'm glad that I did!

OVERALL:
Really enjoyed this book; the main characters are immensely likable and relatable, there are
Lisa
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ever since Tristan, Lord Burke, burst into Joan's bedroom as a child she has been half in love with him. When fetching a promise from her brother one morning she is greeted by Tristan all grown up and the sparks, and snipping, fly between them both. When Joan's parents leave town suddenly, she is left in the care of her aunt who sees that Joan's fashion choices, which are guided by her mother and the height of fashion, are all wrong and helps Joan feel comfortable in some different dresses. Coup ...more
Mei
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
It was fun, but I was expecting so much more.

I liked Joan and her father, but I hated her mother! How can a mother call a whore her own daugther???!!! Inconceivable!!! I wanted to slap her so many times that I lost count!

She was so santimonious and straitlaced! Odious woman!

I don't know why Joan, but mostly her father, put up with her! He should have spoken to her about demeaning Joan every time, about stopping dressing her like a clown. But no, he didn't do anything!

Tristan was almost odious at
Mariana
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is just what I was in the mood for. Thanks to Joanna for the recommendation. Fun. Not too much angst or depth.

Even though the reviews are not as good, I plan to immediately read book 2 and maybe finish the entire series.
Emma
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-5-stars
I liked the female MC, enjoyed her snappy comebacks and humour, the hero I didn't like, he was rude and a player which i was reminded of constantly, I didn't enjoy it, also the heroine wasn't sure about his feelings until the end, not fun. And for God's sake it's a historical! why can't I have a normal honorable man. The last historical i read the hero was a prostitute and now this!? Come on. I'm trying historical romance bc i've had enough of this nonsense reading CR.
Ki
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Original post at Doing Some Reading)

I love Caroline Linden!!! This book was fantastic and I believe it’s a great start in a new series~ It has been a while since I read a book from Caroline -besides her anthology with the famous Four Ladies in their latest At the Duke’s Wedding- but this was a great story!!!

Joan Bennet is a over due wallflower turning into a spinster in her almost-last year of the season in London. She’s too plump to look gentle, too tall for a lady, has no sense of style -due
Katie
9/12/14

Five stars for pure enjoyment! I'd read one book by Linden before (What a Gentleman Wants) and while I don't remember the content of the book, I remember it left me in that in between place of not being compelled to check out more books by the author, but also not deciding I would NEVER EVER read her again.

So when I came across this and the description and reviews were great, I was happy to give it a try. AND I'M SO GLAD I DID.

This was just the kind of romance I like. Lots of "You annoy m
Lindsay
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, light HR. Likeable characters, very little drama or tension, and a pretty much clear path to a HEA. It's almost too easy to be honest, but sometimes it's nice to read something where everything plays out how you want it to. The story isn't deep- a reformable rake and a witty, edging-on-spinster who's been styled badly and lacking confidence meet again after briefly knowing each other as children- and things progress from there. Joan is incredibly likable, although I did prefer h ...more
sraxe
Right from the prologue, I was hooked. I was almost afraid to continue because of how much I liked the beginning. The last time I was this hooked to the opening chapter of a book, it disappointed me terribly. But....I decided to continue.

I honestly adored almost every character that was introduced. Tristan, Lord Burke, and Joan, Miss Bennet, have such a refreshing maturity. It's sad how rare it is to find characters that are so level-headed.

Joan had me hooked from the prologue because I loved th
Lu
3,5 stars rounded to 4

Having read the rest of the series prior to this first installment, I have expected more of this book.
It is sweet and very well written, but I just thought it lacked something.
They meet, she is plain, plump and bad dressed and he is handsome, rich, titled, and a rakish friend of her brother (nothing original here, but still a good trope). He manages to see her inner beauty and, with some fashion advice, the inner beauty leaks out and she finds herself desirable and lovely.
Victoria Cavill
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-read
4 Stars...!

Charming, quite, simple, Elegant...!
I like the simplicity of the book. I liked Tristian and Joan(loved the name Joan;))

The book was Charming through and through. Although it didn't have all that masala I never got the feeling it was missing something... It won over my heart.. :)
Melanie
3.5 Stars!

Love and Other Scandals was a delightful romance that takes a more direct route than most romance novels these days which was a nice change of pace that I really enjoyed.

Joan Bennet is a confirmed wallflower and practically a spinster at age twenty four. Unfortunately she doesn’t look like most girls of the ton, so none of that is likely to change and after reading Fifty Ways to Sin, a shocking and scandalous publication, Joan has an idea of what she’s missing out on. When she encounte
Alexandria Jane
This book gave me just all of the warm and fuzzy feelings. I read this book after a binge on angsty romances with intense subplots; this book was just the breath of fresh air that I needed. Sometimes you just need some good ole fluff in your life.

The story follows Joan Bennet, a wallflower approaching spinsterhood who honestly is the sassiest main character I’ve ever encounter. Her family is incredibly close (I love seeing this in a romance novel honestly…good parenting is just so hard to find)
Alyssa
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Tristan, Lo
Heliga
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars.

I can't really decide if I should round up to two stars or down to one star, but I know I didn't enjoy reading this book. The first couple of chapters seemed promising, but I had barely read a hundred pages before I realized I was hopelessly bored. The plot in this book is almost non-existent, and the characters don't have enough depth make up for it. There were so many pages where my eyes just sort of glazed over as I was reading, and I had to reread the page again.

The worst thing ab
Romancebooksandmore
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Okay so this book is a guilty pleasure of mine I love the falling in love with your siblings best friend or your best friends sibling troupe, and this has it in Spades.

Joan Bennet is a wallflower of the first water. She never dances and all the current fashions look hideous on her. Tristan Burke is a Rake of the first water and her brother’s best friend.
She hates him and he thinks she’s a Fury. They spare at each other and he starts to think of her even though he doesn’t want to. Then
June
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caroline Linden's Love and Other Scandals is fun, entertaining, easy quick read, emphasis on the easy, for this book is pretty much predictable and there are very little action. The cast of characters are likeable, if not a tiny bit silly. But the true highlight of this book is the bickering between Joan and Tristan, they're completely liven up this book.
If you're looking for something to make you laugh without too much thinking, then Caroline Linden is one of authors to go for :)
BJ
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-ok
A common plot with a scandalous rake and an unfashionable heroine left on the shelf. But he finds himself increasingly charmed by her, so he takes her on some adventures. It was inconsistent, great steamy scenes mixed with pages of tedious telling which was boring. Good but a long way from great. Not sure it this is the author for me.
Mrs Giggles
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Caroline Linden usually serves up stories with angst and sad faces, but Love And Other Scandals is a change of pace. The angst is minimal, and the focus is on the hero and the heroine trying their best to thumb up their nose at one another.

Joan Bennet's brother, Douglas, is a good friend of Tristan Burke, a viscount who happens to get his title because his late uncle had no male offspring. Douglas and Tristan knew each other from way back, and Joan remembers that one particular holiday season wh
3.5 Stars

I do love a good best friend's sister romance and Love and Other Scandals was a decent example of this theme. The basic plot is that Joan Bennet is on her way to being a spinster and really just wants a little excitement in her life. But, what she gets is her brother's best friend, Tristan, who knows just how to get her in a rage especially when he kisses her without warning. Things get more complicated when Joan's parents and brother leave town and Tristan is asked (by her brother) to
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: July 30, 2013
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Rushed Ending
Favorite Tropes: Realistically Sized Heroine, Reformed Rake, Enemies to Lovers

This delightful historical romp had so many of the things that I love in romance — a realistica
Daniella
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
(3.75 rounded down to 3.)

Just a quick review because I'm feeling super sick today.

Love and Other Scandals was such a ridiculously entertaining read, especially during the first 50%. I absolutely adored Joan. In fact, she's probably one of the best heroines I've encountered in both HR and CR books ever. Such a high praise, I know, but man, she was amazing with her witty comebacks and sarcastic remarks. I loved how she put Tristan in his place.

Tristan, in comparison, felt like a flat character--e
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Mar 05, 2015 12:14PM

• The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • A Rake's Midnight Kiss (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Summer Is for Lovers (Second Sons, #2)
  • Lady in Red (Mad Passions, #2)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • Sins of a Wicked Princess (Sinners Trio, #3)
  • The Spinster's Secret (Midnight Quill, #1)
  • The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (Horsemen of the Apocalypse #2)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
  • I Married the Duke (The Prince Catchers, #1)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
Caroline Linden was born a reader, not a writer. She earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard University and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Her books have won the NEC-RWA Readers' Choice Award, the JNRW Golden Leaf, the Daphne du Maurier Award, and RWA's RITA Award, and have been translated into ...more

Scandalous (4 books)
  • It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)
“You said yourself she’s trouble. I’m doing you a favor, really—should you ever encounter her, you have my permission to run the other way.” Tristan just grunted and snapped his fingers at the boy to fetch his clothes. Trouble, yes; but even more dangerous than Bennet suspected. Because Tristan didn’t want to run the other way when he saw Miss Bennet, as vexing as she was. He wanted to best her, to leave her speechless; he wanted to hear her confess that she was wrong and he was right, about anything at all. And most worrisome of all, he wanted to kiss her senseless when she did so. Maybe even before. He must be cracked in the head.” 1 likes
“He didn’t want to run the other way when he saw Miss Bennet, as vexing as she was. He wanted to best her, to leave her speechless; he wanted to hear her confess that she was wrong and he was right, about anything at all. And most worrisome of all, he wanted to kiss her senseless when she did so. Maybe even before. He must be cracked in the head.” 1 likes