Start by marking “Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)

Love and Other Scandals

(Scandalous #1)

Joan Bennet is tired of being a wallflower. Thanks to some deliciously scandalous—and infamous—stories, she has a pretty good idea of what she's missing as a spinster. Is even a short flirtation too much to ask for?

Tristan, Lord Burke, recognizes Joan at once for what she is: trouble. Not only is she his best friend's sister, she always seems to catch him at a disadvantage
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Love and Other Scandals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Other Scandals

Start your review of Love and Other Scandals (Scandalous, #1)
Jilly
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
That was bodice-rippingly good!

Our two lovers are Tristan and Joan. I have to admit that when I picture a girl named Joan, I think of a chain-smoker who works in accounting and wants to know why you think you can put your massage & lunch bill on your expense account. Listen, Joan, this job makes me stressed, okay? Besides, you have expressly forbade me from eating out of the tupperware in the breakroom fridge anymore. A girl's gotta eat.

Wait, was the crushed up oxy supposed to be a deterrent? Th
Caz

Oh, what a lovely book! There was no melodrama; there were no huge angst-fests, no mysteries to solve, no evil ex-lovers or relatives out to steal the heroine’s fortune; no big misunderstandings or unexpected pregnancies… this was a story about two people finding each other and falling in love, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Tristan, Viscount Burke and Joan Bennet have been vaguely acquainted with each other since childhood. Tristan is a close friend of Joan’s brother, Douglas, and
Hollis
This might seem like just another wallflower & rake match-up but it was so much more.. and so much fun! Linden's writing is clever, smart, sweet, and makes you feel all sorts of things. It's also funny. I loved seeing Joan, the unfashionably tall, too plump, horribly dressed, almost-a-spinster be appreciated but I also loved that Tristan was more than just a wild rake for no reason but a desire to be that way. His backstory is rather tragic and yet he isn't woe is me about it. The way these two ...more
Sam (AMNReader)
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sam (AMNReader) by: Joanna Loves Reading
What a fun ride. The banter was fantastic, as were the characters. I would've enjoyed more meat at the end, this book really felt like the wooing and skimped over a part which I enjoy, learning to love each other.

Still, in tone and content-a fun, engaging read.

3.5, read with the HRBC group.
Caz
I've given this an A- for the story and a B+ for narration at AudioGals, so let's call it 4.5 stars.

Love and Other Scandals was one of my favourite books of last year. It’s a splendidly written story, full of humour, snappy dialogue and delicious sexual tension, and I’m pleased to say that I found the audio version just as enjoyable.

One of my favourite things about the story is that, other than two people falling in love, not very much happens. There are no spies, pirates, evil relatives, swappe
Mei
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
It was fun, but I was expecting so much more.

I liked Joan and her father, but I hated her mother! How can a mother call a whore her own daugther???!!! Inconceivable!!! I wanted to slap her so many times that I lost count!

She was so santimonious and straitlaced! Odious woman!

I don't know why Joan, but mostly her father, put up with her! He should have spoken to her about demeaning Joan every time, about stopping dressing her like a clown. But no, he didn't do anything!

Tristan was almost odious at
Sammy Loves Books
I absolutely enjoyed this book!

Viscount Burke is determined to teach his best friend's sister a thing or two on how to respect him. But she keeps getting the better hand and leaving him wanting more of her managing ways.

The dialogue between these two was witty, well written and totally enjoyable.

Totally loved that her aunt turned out to be a sort of fairy godmother. Joan's dad was perfect for the situation Burke and Joan find themselves in. Her mom was a total disappointment and I was not a fan
Jan
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
3.5 stars. A light and enjoyable historical romance. Likeable MCs with good banter.

There was a slightly tedious addition of a pamphlet called '50 ways To Sin' which for me was just a shameless grab at the (then) popularity of FSOG. I also found that the final love/sex scene (view spoiler)
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a lot of fun, though with a few drawbacks. The best was Joan's strong sense of self, though with some complications that added depth. I liked Tristan, too, but in kind of a "meh" way and largely in his relation with Joan.

The story really hinges on Joan. She's tall and well-endowed and that makes her appear plump and plain given the fashion at the time. Further, her mother gives her all the wrong feedback because she's so eager for Joan to be "fashionable" and encourages the worst styles
Lover of Romance
I recently discovers Caroline Linden has a well talented author. I have only read one of her books so far, but loved every moment of it. I was very excited when I saw that Love and Other Scandals was available for review through Avon and Edelweiss. The cover alone made me dizzy with excitement. One of the small aspects of the book that I enjoyed, was that in the book the heroine really does where a beautiful gold gown, just like on the cover. It doesn't happen too often, where the cover is what ...more
Shannon
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance readers; anyone who loves central love stories
May I just say how thoroughly enchanted I am with Caroline Linden. This is the first book I've read from her and my heart is bursting to read the next. So pleasantly surprised by the style of her writing.

I'm not sure if all her stories are fashioned primarily with a love story or if some are peppered with intrigue and mystery, but I will take a well written, deeply affectionate, love story over a heavy plot of regency intrigue any day.

This story also ends a bit differently than most romances I'
Somia
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Delighted Stars

Scandalous Rake Tristan, Viscount Burke and Joan Bennet have been vaguely acquainted with each other since childhood, he is a close chum of her brother. Their interactions have been few, but when Joan goes to see her brother in an attempt to appease her mother, her banter/interaction with Tristen will be the first of many over the coming days/weeks, interactions/banter that lead to them getting closer and closer (I didn't pay much heed to the timeline as I was too engaged in
Juliana Philippa
Enjoyable, light-hearded read with some laugh-out-loud exchanges between the main characters

Technically I started this book in August 2013, but the fact that I just finished it today (July 11, 2015) should not reflect on the book - I put it down, life got in the way, and now that I'm finally reading again, I unearthed it and started over. And it was a super enjoyable read, so I'm glad that I did!

OVERALL:
Really enjoyed this book; the main characters are immensely likable and relatable, there are
Gio Listmaker

Safe No Cheating
(view spoiler)
Lisa
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ever since Tristan, Lord Burke, burst into Joan's bedroom as a child she has been half in love with him. When fetching a promise from her brother one morning she is greeted by Tristan all grown up and the sparks, and snipping, fly between them both. When Joan's parents leave town suddenly, she is left in the care of her aunt who sees that Joan's fashion choices, which are guided by her mother and the height of fashion, are all wrong and helps Joan feel comfortable in some different dresses. Coup ...more
Mariana
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is just what I was in the mood for. Thanks to Joanna for the recommendation. Fun. Not too much angst or depth.

Even though the reviews are not as good, I plan to immediately read book 2 and maybe finish the entire series.
sraxe
Right from the prologue, I was hooked. I was almost afraid to continue because of how much I liked the beginning. The last time I was this hooked to the opening chapter of a book, it disappointed me terribly. But....I decided to continue.

I honestly adored almost every character that was introduced. Tristan, Lord Burke, and Joan, Miss Bennet, have such a refreshing maturity. It's sad how rare it is to find characters that are so level-headed.

Joan had me hooked from the prologue because I loved th
Emma
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-5-stars
I liked the female MC, enjoyed her snappy comebacks and humour, the hero I didn't like, he was rude and a player which i was reminded of constantly, I didn't enjoy it, also the heroine wasn't sure about his feelings until the end, not fun. And for God's sake it's a historical! why can't I have a normal honorable man. The last historical i read the hero was a prostitute and now this!? Come on. I'm trying historical romance bc i've had enough of this nonsense reading CR.
EmpK
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite lovely although it felt a bit anticlimactic toward the end— I thought something more scandalous might come up! Either way, great chemistry, good dialogue and a heroine I truly enjoyed.
Ki
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Original post at Doing Some Reading)

I love Caroline Linden!!! This book was fantastic and I believe it’s a great start in a new series~ It has been a while since I read a book from Caroline -besides her anthology with the famous Four Ladies in their latest At the Duke’s Wedding- but this was a great story!!!

Joan Bennet is a over due wallflower turning into a spinster in her almost-last year of the season in London. She’s too plump to look gentle, too tall for a lady, has no sense of style -due
Katie
9/12/14

Five stars for pure enjoyment! I'd read one book by Linden before (What a Gentleman Wants) and while I don't remember the content of the book, I remember it left me in that in between place of not being compelled to check out more books by the author, but also not deciding I would NEVER EVER read her again.

So when I came across this and the description and reviews were great, I was happy to give it a try. AND I'M SO GLAD I DID.

This was just the kind of romance I like. Lots of "You annoy m
Lindsay
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, light HR. Likeable characters, very little drama or tension, and a pretty much clear path to a HEA. It's almost too easy to be honest, but sometimes it's nice to read something where everything plays out how you want it to. The story isn't deep- a reformable rake and a witty, edging-on-spinster who's been styled badly and lacking confidence meet again after briefly knowing each other as children- and things progress from there. Joan is incredibly likable, although I did prefer h ...more
Lu
3,5 stars rounded to 4

Having read the rest of the series prior to this first installment, I have expected more of this book.
It is sweet and very well written, but I just thought it lacked something.
They meet, she is plain, plump and bad dressed and he is handsome, rich, titled, and a rakish friend of her brother (nothing original here, but still a good trope). He manages to see her inner beauty and, with some fashion advice, the inner beauty leaks out and she finds herself desirable and lovely.
Alexandria Jane
This book gave me just all of the warm and fuzzy feelings. I read this book after a binge on angsty romances with intense subplots; this book was just the breath of fresh air that I needed. Sometimes you just need some good ole fluff in your life.

The story follows Joan Bennet, a wallflower approaching spinsterhood who honestly is the sassiest main character I’ve ever encounter. Her family is incredibly close (I love seeing this in a romance novel honestly…good parenting is just so hard to find)
Vicky (Victoria) Cavill
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-read
4 Stars...!

Charming, quite, simple, Elegant...!
I like the simplicity of the book. I liked Tristian and Joan(loved the name Joan;))

The book was Charming through and through. Although it didn't have all that masala I never got the feeling it was missing something... It won over my heart.. :)
Melanie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

Love and Other Scandals was a delightful romance that takes a more direct route than most romance novels these days which was a nice change of pace that I really enjoyed.

Joan Bennet is a confirmed wallflower and practically a spinster at age twenty four. Unfortunately she doesn’t look like most girls of the ton, so none of that is likely to change and after reading Fifty Ways to Sin, a shocking and scandalous publication, Joan has an idea of what she’s missing out on. When she encounte
Cheesecake
What a sweet little tale of love. My first time reading this author and I look forward to reading more of her stuff.
Tristan is Joan's brother's closest friend. But he doesn't have a good reputation. And his early thoughts about Joan come across harshly but he is just looking at her frankly.
Joan's mother is very controlling even though Joan is now 24. She still treats Joan like she's 16 and dresses her that way as well. Joan is a tall statuesque woman with curves for miles. I'm thinking Jane R
Jaime Arkin
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this one!
Alyssa
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Tristan, Lo
Becky
I thought this book was wonderful. It was very close to a perfect book for me with everything I love.

Our hero, Tristan, and our heroine, Joan, are such great characters. Their interactions from the beginning show their pull to each other even though they don’t understand it. They begin almost as an enemies to lovers trope, Tristan being Joan’s older brothers friend. They challenge each other and drive each other mad while at the same time you can see their feelings growing the more time they spe
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Mar 05, 2015 12:14PM

• When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Lord Holt Takes a Bride (The Mating Habits of Scoundrels, #1)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Wicked Wallflower (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #1)
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • The Debutante Is Mine (Season's Original, #1)
  • The Rogue to Ruin (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #3)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Wallflower Gone Wild (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #2)
  • Chasing the Other Tisdale (The Regency Blooms Book 3)
  • Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)
Caroline Linden was born a reader, not a writer. She earned a degree in mathematics from Harvard University and worked as a programmer in the financial services industry before realizing writing fiction is much more exciting than writing code. Her books have won the NEC-RWA Readers' Choice Award, the JNRW Golden Leaf, the Daphne du Maurier Award, and RWA's RITA Award, and have been translated into ...more

Scandalous (4 books)
  • It Takes a Scandal (Scandalous, #2)
  • Love in the Time of Scandal (Scandalous, #3)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)