Start by marking “Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation” as Want to Read:
Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation

Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation

In her book Self-Inflicted Wounds, comedian, actress, and cohost of CBS’s daytime hit show The Talk, Aisha Tyler recounts a series of epic mistakes and hilarious stories of crushing personal humiliation, and the personal insights and authentic wisdom she gathered along the way.

The essays in Self-Inflicted Wounds are refreshingly and sometimes brutally honest, surprising,
Published July 9th 2013 by It Books

To ask other readers questions about Self-Inflicted Wounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Inflicted Wounds

SJ
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is unfair, but my main reaction while reading this book was "man, Tina Fey's Bossypants is so much better." Also, "wow, Aisha Tyler's writing style is kinda pedantic," but that observation is totally fair and true. Footnotes and five-syllable words galore! Maybe she felt more comfortable with the stiff, formal style that made me feel more like I was reading an academic journal assignment for class than a comedienne's memoirs because of her Ivy League background, but the effect was more alie ...more
Book Riot Community
Some people listen to their inner voice. Some people tell it to shut the hell up, hold my beer, and watch this! Aisha Tyler is one of the latter. A true comedienne, her book is one tale after another of bad decisions that make great stories. Tyler tells us what she learned through each experience, even if the thing she learned is that even though she may repeatedly make the same mistakes, she’ll have a heck of a story to tell at the end of it. This book caused me to laugh, cringe, and then snort ...more
Kelly
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Aisha Tyler is many things that I am not: tall, childless, funny, confident, fearless. But she and I also share some qualities, if you can call them that. We’re both neurotic, both nerds, both prone to going off on tangents while telling a story. But let’s be honest: it doesn’t matter if an author and I have absolutely nothing in common, really, as long as she makes her writing work. And Aisha Tyler does just that.

Self-Inflicted Wounds is a memoir of sorts in which Tyler recounts all the times i
Melanie
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely choose the Audiobook for this!
Bill
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Overwritten beyond belief. Maybe her style works well in the standup format but a huge run-on sentence with five cheesy asides doesn't work written down. Couldn't get past the first chapter.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Hmm. About halfway through this book I was ready to launch my kindle across the room. It was a lot of "look how kooky I am" and a lot of hyperbolic "I am the craziest to ever crazy" that I have read in other memoirs recently (The Bloggess, I am looking at you.). Funny that these two books are by people who have huge followings that I know of superficially, but not intimately. This may have something to do with it.

Once the stories got far along enough in Tyler's life to revolve around her career,
Jacky
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got stern looks from my boyfriend numerous times while reading this book in bed, mostly because I was doing that kind of laughing where you're trying really hard to hold it in and be quiet so your whole body ends up shaking and then your laugh finally just comes out in a loud snort.

I also discovered that I REALLY REALLY want to be friends with Aisha Tyler.
J.I.
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
I love Aisha Tyler, so I was very, very disappointed in this book. Her standup is solid, insightful and raucous and she is an obviously very intelligent, confident and interesting woman, so it was honestly a surprise that this felt so flat and turgid. The frame of the stories is that Tyler wounds herself in some way (physically, emotionally, psychologically, etc.), and then tells us how she is to blame for this. There are a few times that this works, but most of the stories are simply events (as ...more
Latarsha
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was just ok. Aisha seemed to be trying really hard to show readers how funny she is, how much of a misfit she was growing up, how commited to her craft she is and how large her vocabulary is. There were some nuggets in there about the importance of sticking with something and doing the scut work when things aren't going well or you hit a challenge that you never faced before which I appreciated because I'm going through that right now. But other than those few chapters, this ...more
Leigh Kramer
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this so much more than I did. I've long respected Tyler's work on The Talk and I'll never forget her turn on Friends. But. I laughed more in the footnotes than the book itself and that's saying something. It often felt like she was trying to be funny, instead of actually being funny. And normally, I think she's funny! Perhaps the "self-inflicted wounds" theme was a stretch for some stories but the book just didn't do it for me.
Stephanie
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
The stories got more vague as they went along. And footnotes are annoying. There were hundreds in this book. I wanted to like it.

In an early chapter she described the Vulcans but mislabeled them as Klingon. This has nothing to do with the star rating, however. It just needed to be noted.
Casey
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

Okay I actually started to tear up a little in the middle of reading this. I love Aisha Tyler (not Taylor, as apparently some people think it is.) She's a great host on Whose Line Is It Anyway? and just doesn't give a fuck. Her personality shines through this book and while I marked it as a memoir, that's only part of it. Really Aisha gives out life advice, and reiterates how important hard work is. You have to fuck up to know you're doing life right, otherwise you'll never learn.

I do wish she
Erica
My exposure to Ms. Tyler has been somewhat limited and fairly biased. See, it was like this: I first saw her in that ping pong movie with Christopher Walken as the evil Chinese ping pong bad guy emperor and she would hang out behind Mr. Walken in her hot little outfit and a blow dart gun and was all badass. I told Gabe, "That chick is both hot and bad! I love her." Fast forward a few years and we're watching "Archer" and Gabe tells me that Lana Kane is the hot, badass chick who spews poisoned da ...more
Daisa
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say....even though I did enjoy this book, I expected it to be a bit funnier. What do they say about having expectations though right?

'Self Inflicted Wounds' by Aisha Tyler is a book (memoir) about the best of Aisha's 'self inflicted wounds' throughout her life and career.

Aisha defines a self inflicted wound as being some kind of injury, physical or psychological, that you bring upon yourself, you can blame no one else, the fault is yours and yours only.

Put self humiliation with an int
Taryn Pierson
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-author
Aisha Tyler is SMART. I don’t know why this surprised me—or wait, maybe I do. Before listening to her book, the only thing I knew her from was “The Fifth Wheel,” a trashy reality dating show she hosted in the early 2000s, when I was in high school and had nothing better to do than watch fake-tanned idiots socially and sometimes physically abuse each other on television. Shockingly, her turn as host of such an illustrious program amounts to only a tiny footnote in her career, as I had to search h ...more
Racheal
Oct 25, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: audio
Tyler talks about how comedians plumb the depths of their shame and terrible life experiences to use as fodder for their acts, and this leads me to why I ultimately stopped listening. She reads the book to great comedic effect, but there is this almost gleeful reveling in her misfortunes that is paired with a complete lack of any real emotional depth or introspection. It reminds me of how her episode of Mental Illness Happy Hour is one of the few I've never listened to because I've heard that sh ...more
Gina Boyd
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I follow Tyler on Twitter because she's the voice of Lana Kane on my beloved "Archer," and reading her book makes me think that she kinda IS Lana Kane! Aisha Tyler is cooler and more bad-ass than I will ever be, and I wish she were my friend, because I truly think she'd make me a better person. She'd inspire me to work harder and spend more time out in the world. (I mean, sure, I could let her BOOK inspire me...but it's easier to daydream about being friends with her than it is to actually take ...more
Liz Neering
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've followed Aisha Tyler's standup for years now, and I'm part of the Girl on Guy Army (we are legion). This book is as strong as I've come to expect from her. It's genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, and in many places strikingly poignant and touching. There are a lot of life lessons in here, many of which spoke very strongly to me; 'Be Brave' is how she signed my book, and after reading this, I feel more ready to embrace that than ever.
Devi
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays, non-fiction
The best thing I think I can say for this book in this moment is that I read it cover to cover in one sitting, something I haven't done with any book in months unless graphic novels count.

Three and a half stars for humour plus one star for utter relatability. (Relatable in the gawky, weird, too-tall nerdy chick who got boobs too early and went through an ill-conceived goth phase sorta way. Me too, Aisha. Me too!)
Taylor
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
It feels unfair giving this only 3 stars, but that's what it was. Worth the read and glimpsing another person's (humiliating and epic) life experiences, but not anything that really blew me away. I freaking LOVE her podcast which is why this book was one of the first on my to-read list, and this was good, but I still like her podcast better. It really picked up at the end once she started talking about Dartmouth and getting her feet under her as a comedian, but until that point, I, much like her ...more
Kris
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really like Aisha Tyler. She is smart, funny, and talented. So I guess I expected more from this book. It was good, but not great. Funny, but not hilarious. And nowhere near as relatable as I found her in other things. I still like her, this just wasn't my favorite.
Lara
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Very, very funny, and I laughed so hard I cried at her description of an unrequited adolescent crush. I have been exactly there.
Kristen
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5/5. A few very funny stories, but it was difficult to keep my attention at times.
Lara
Man, a lot of people did not like this book. I, however, want to be Aisha Tyler's best friend. That is all.
Alicia Z
Aug 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish that I could either give books half stars or rate them out of 10, instead of just whole numbers of 1-5. That being said, I'd give this a 3.5 stars out of 5, or a 7 stars out of 10 if I could.

Aisha Tyler is a classy woman who tells good tales of her life. Every tale has a lesson at the end, and is told through great humor. She shares tales of embarrassing moments, of putting her will to the test, of what she learned from her parents. I really did enjoy the book.

My biggest complaint is tha
Daniel
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Self-Inflicted Wounds" is Aisha Tyler second book and covers about 1/1000th of her embarrassing moments as she navigates life. I've been watching Aisha's career since she was on Talk Soup over a decade ago and found myself enjoying her again with her podcast "Girl on Guy." This book reads almost exactly how she talks and delivers performances, it is very conversational. "Self Inflicted Wounds" is a collection of short stories where she describes some humiliating situation and what she learned f ...more
Whitney
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one that makes a great audiobook, which is probably true about any book written by a good comedian. Tyler has a mix of self-deprecation and attitude that made me laugh out-loud in public several times while listening. The earlier chapters are by far the better ones. In her childhood Tyler was "not just the one black kid, but also the one tall kid, the one vegetarian, the one kid railroaded into Transcendental Meditation, the one kid most likely to show up at school with a bag of date ...more
Erin Rouleau
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This is cute, and clever and articulate and well organized and basically it's good, but I don't care. I think I must just not be into the woman comedian memoir genre. I really like the woman rocker memoir genre, or grown-woman bad-childhood memoir, but this genre is just not my thing.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Her chapter about homelessness in San Francisco might be a game changer. That was really good. Also, I just really like her. She seems awesome, I ju
Megalion

My first and only experience of Aisha via her recurring role on Friends. I had forgotten that she was a co-host on the Talk as I don't watch that genre of shows though I like the ensemble of women who host that particular show.

She's very self-effacing (sometimes too much) and willing to share her humiliations as the cover promises but some of the stories ramble and don't really have a point.

A plus is that the chapters are standalone and easily consumed in pieces. I read this book on my
  • Liz Tells Frank What Happened In...
  • Night Terrors: Sex, Dating, Puberty, and Other Alarming Things
  • The Dangerous Animals Club
  • The Smartest Book in the World: A Lexicon of Literacy, A Rancorous Reportage, A Concise Curriculum of Cool
  • Shut Up, You're Welcome
  • No Land's Man
  • Miss Ex-Yugoslavia: A Memoir
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • The Last Single Woman in America
  • In My Skin: My Life On and Off the Basketball Court
  • Don't Lick the Minivan: And Other Things I Never Thought I'd Say to My Kids
  • Melissa Explains It All: Tales from My Abnormally Normal Life
  • Don't Call Me Inspirational: A Disabled Feminist Talks Back
Aisha Tyler is an American actress, comedian, and author, known for her regular role as Andrea Marino in the first season of Ghost Whisperer and voicing Lana Kane in Archer, as well as her recurring roles in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Talk Soup, and on Friends as Charlie Wheeler. She is a co-host of The Talk and the new host of Whose Line is it Anyway?.
“Get up, go out into the world, and do awesome shit.” 31 likes
“I visualize myself winning the Olympic Pentathlon, inventing a phone that can be controlled by brain waves, or doing the laundry. I do not actually DO these things, but I see myself doing them, and that is almost MORE satisfying, because I am also lying down.” 19 likes