Start by marking “You Look Different in Real Life” as Want to Read:
You Look Different in Real Life

You Look Different in Real Life

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,835 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
For the rest of the world, the movies are entertainment. For Justine, they're real life.

The premise was simple: five kids, just living their lives. There'd be a new movie about them every five years, starting in kindergarten. But no one could have predicted what the cameras would capture. And no one could have predicted that Justine would be the star.

Now sixteen, Justine d
Published June 4th 2013 by HarperTeen

Jasprit
4. 5 stars

You Look Different in Real Life was just such a fresh read. With all these reality shows around following celebrities around 24/7, you would expect You Look Different in Real Life to follow a similar sort of route, well I certainly did. But no You Look Different in Real Life ended up being such a brilliant nostalgic read.

I remember when I was studying Sociology at college and watching a similar sort of documentary where it followed the lives of a class from a young age and checked back
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you HarperTeen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

'This is not a soap opera, folks. This is my life. And if is absolutely, positively as unamazing as you can get.'

Sometimes I wonder how on world can I conjure up enough words into a review. The answer is simple, really: A lot was happening on the novel. Unlike others, You Look Different In Real Life for me was a rather bland ride, only exploring a few idea
Faye, la Patata
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. No money or any form of transaction was exchanged.

You Look Different in Real Life is the prime example why I do not want to partake in the activities of Facebook anymore, where people post everything about their lives, including the mundane and who-cares stuff, for the entire world to see and scrutinize and for people comme moi to ridicule (just kidding). I do not condone activities where the private and vulnerable moments of people are made
 ⇝LEAH⇜
2 Out 5 "A little too much Y and not enough A" Stars

While You Look Different in Real Life wasn't really for me, I think for a younger audience it may work. The only reason I listened to this in the first place is for a reading challenge (I needed a narrator whose name started with a Q).

Overall, for me, the characters were not memorable and it was really difficult for me to see where this story was going. Ultimately, there is a message there and that's why the ending is the only part that got a
Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow, src2013
On a vacation two years ago, I read Jennifer Castle's debut THE BEGINNING OF AFTER. I thought it only appropriate to bring her sophomore book YOU LOOK DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE along with me on vacation this year, and I'm glad I did because I was able to pass it along to two different girls after I was finished, all while gushing about how much I truly loved it.

Full Review: http://chickloveslit.com/2013/04/revi...
Charlotte  Black
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read The Beginning of After and loved the way that Castle has you thinking about the characters all the way through. So when I had the chance of reading this one I jumped at it.

Castle has a unique gift of providing us with characters that somehow fit into a category. But their personalities are not at all what you would expect and when it comes to teenagers of sixteen and seventeen with all the baggage that comes with teens these days I think she got this one spot on.

So Justine, Keira, Rory, F
Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves)
Source: Edelweiss

I read You Look Different in Real life in less than 24 hours. You Look Different in Real life tells us the story of Justine and how when she was 6 and 11 she took part of a documentary along with four other children. Five years have passed once again and there are plans of making a documentary of their lives at 16. Justine at first is against this idea as her life has not how she pictured it to be. She also does not speak to the other participants in the documentary other than
Allison
I'm sure why I liked this so much. It certainly wasn't the protagonist, Justine. She was such a jerk. I know she's a teenager and teenagers are angsty and annoying, but something just wouldn't let me use that as an excuse. She was very woe is me despite everyone telling her how great she is and how she's the lynch pin for most of the book. Her pity party was pretty unbearable.

But despite Justine's terrible attitude, I found myself fully engrossed in the story and not able to look away. I wanted
Disability in Kidlit
Review written by Corinne Duyvis for Disability in Kidlit. Follow us for more MG/YA reviews from a disabled perspective!

For someone who always crows about wanting to read/see more autistic characters, I’ve actually read embarrassingly few books fitting that criterion. I’m continually hampered by the size of my TBR pile, deadlines, and an assortment of other issues, and usually only come across autistic characters by accident.

So when author Jennifer Castle offered to send me a copy of her latest
Isamlq
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dear Jennifer Castle,

How’d you do it? The stuff in here has me flashing back to my teenage self. You’ve got me thinking you must have been in my head back then. Because despite the subject of reality TV stars being far from my reality (anyone’s reality, actually,) you’ve managed to make them all feel real.

Justine especially, echoes so many of the thoughts that at one point or other were mine. Thoughts on longing, on guilt, on dissatisfaction, on being burdened, and even on being resentful for t
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I liked Justine and connected with her right away, I felt confused for the first part of the book. I knew the premise but it just felt like everyone was going around knowing something that I didn't. Why Justine had changed, why she felt like such a disappointment, and what had changed at school.
But I think that was the whole point. Because as you get into the story, Justine remembers the moments as the film crew is there again, and things all begin to fit together.
One of the themes is that
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
You Look Different In Real Life is one of those books that takes you by surprise. I have to say the idea of a documentary following kids around and seeing how they grow and what happens to them at the age of 6 then 11 and then when they are teenagers at 16 is an interesting concept. When I read the blurb of this book I was hooked. I can't imagine being in the spotlight at the most crucial times in a child's life. The Documentary is called Five at six/eleven/sixteen.

I have to say that I really lo
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Even though my schedule is totally packed with books to read, I couldn't resist taking this one on because I loved the concept so much. And while it didn't completely blow me away, You Look Different in Real Life is a solidly written, emotional novel that delves beautifully into teens whose lives were dramatically changed by being caught on camera - both in good and bad ways.

The story is that Justine, Rory, Felix, Keira, and Nate were all kids who were placed together at the same kindergarten ta
PinkAmy loves  💕 books📖, cats😻 and naps🛏
GRADE: B-

Justine and four of her classmates are part of a documentary Five At that followed the kids at age 6, 11 and are now shooting the 16-year-olds. The teens have grown apart and filmmakers want to reestablish their bond. The group includes: Rory, Justine's former best friend, who has Aspergers, the aloof Keira, golden boy Nate and his former best friend Felix who's hiding a secret.

I had a difficult time warming up to Justine as she continually chose silence over kindness and went against h
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Jennifer Castle has to be one of the most underrated YA authors. I never see people read her books but once you check out the reviews for her work, you'll see how much readers connect with her characters and storylines.
Celeste_pewter
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Magan (Rather Be Reading)
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
My goodness gracious. I am completely taken by surprise. I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't think it would be laughter, tears, and such a full heart. Loved!

- - - - -

Review originally published on Rather Be Reading:

Have you ever misjudged a book? Maybe just thought it would tell a different story than what you read? When I began reading You Look Different in Real Life, I expected something a bit more light-hearted that I would breeze through. I stopped reading book summaries a few m
Emma (Miss Print)
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bea-read
Justine is used to people recognizing her, acting like they know here even if they're strangers. That's what happens when your childhood is filmed as part of an award-winning documentary.

It started when Justine was six. She was filmed with four other students in her kindergarten class. Then again when she turned eleven.

Justine is sixteen now and it's time for Lance and Leslie to come back for another film. But Justine doesn't want anything to do with it.

She can see why Lance and Leslie picked th
Danielle
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

Reality TV is depending on what side of the fence you stand on is either great entertainment or the very worst of media's many faces. Either way it can't be denied that there is something fascinating about getting an insider look into people's lives. The mundane becomes the must-see.

YOU LOOK DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE tells the story of five kids, first filmed at six, then eleven and now the producers are back to catch up with the cast at 16. In the five ye
Dayla
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

You Look Different in Real Life by Jennifer Castle is a young adult contemporary novel that plays with the popular themes of life viewed through a camera lens--Reality Television--and shows us just how stressful and unglamorous the lifestyle might truly be, especially when you're a teenager trying to figure out not only who you are, but who you think the world wants you to be.

Sprin
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
~4/5

When I saw this at the book store, a while before the release date, I wasn’t sure if I wanted it, mainly because of what I’d thought of Castle’s first book, The Beginning of After. But it sounded good, as I’m usually attracted to books with media-related themes. So I decided to give her another chance, see if I liked this one more. And I am really glad that I decided to get it, because I was pleasantly surprised with this book.

Justine, one of five kids who were chosen to be in this documenta
Rabiah
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
**4/4.5 stars**

Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

It’s sad to say that I’ve had this book on my shelf for WAY too long. I borrowed this from one of my best friends and fellow book blogger, Richa (City of Books) – I’m so sorry for keeping this too long! – and unfortunately because there was never a good time, I kept putting off reading it. I HAVE SO MANY REGRETS. This book was amazing. Nay, it was awesome. You Look Different in Real Life had the right amount of humour,
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I couldn't help but be drawn to the concept of You Look Different in Real Life by Jennifer Castle. In our era of "reality" TV, to take a look at the story of some one who is put in the position of having their life filmed is brilliant. My only fear was that Castle would not do her idea the justice it deserves. No worries. This is an excellent novel.

First person present tense narration is not my favorite. I don't despise it, but I find it
Clementine
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction, ya
When the documentary series started, Justine was young enough to not recognize how it would impact her life. Five kids living their lives, with a film crew checking in on them every five years. It was fine when they were in kindergarten, but now that they’re sixteen? Things are different, and the close-knit group is no longer all that close–or even speaking to each other. So when the camera crew shows up and expects a story, Justine and the other teens struggle to give them what they want. But t ...more
Andy
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
*4.5*

I was extremely surprised at how much this story got to me. Not only do we get a set of well rounded characters that you can instantly connect with, you also get this captivating story of five individuals that were once all friends but have drifted apart.

Justine, Rory, Nate, Felix and Keira were all hand picked at five years old to star in an up and coming documentary called Five to Six. Little did they know that, that little film would shoot them into stardom. The directors Leslie and Lan
Sandy
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya
3.5 starts
They started off in kindergarten sitting in tiny chairs, getting to know each other, capturing their lives behind the telephoto lens. Five children at ages six and eleven, they made documentaries capturing their lives, splashing it up on the big screen making celebrities out of such small humans. Now at age 16, they are back on the scene, hoping to capture the five teens but these teen’s lives are far from what the directors are craving. The collaboration they once had, the unity they
Erica
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have Young Adult literature fans in your family, or you're a YA reader yourself, I recommend you pick up a copy of Jennifer Castle's new book, You Look Different in Real Life as part of your summer reading list. The novel explores the dynamics among five youth who are featured in a documentary series together: they were first filmed back in kindergarten at age 6, then filmed at age 11, and now, age 16. The narrator, Justine, feels and notices everything, and the way she reacts to whatever ...more
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
“Everyone has a story. It's simply a question of finding it."

You Look DIfferent In Real Life was a complete let down. And it's not even a let down that I want to rant about, it just makes me feel dead inside - no emotions. I don't know if I ever was a fan of TV Shows stories but I do like watching TV Shows and thought this was going to pretty interesting. But all the characters, the setting, the conversations were boring and useless.

Story is mostly about five classmates that have been parti
Kay
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had heard many great things about Jennifer Castle’s first novel The Beginning of After, but with so much to read already, I never got around to reading it. When You Look Different in Real Life came out though, I was immediately intrigued by the premise. With its theme of “docu-reality”, I expected a drama-filled teenage story, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover a quiet, more character-centered story.

Though we follow the story through Justine’s narration, we get a great look on the four
Carrie Ardoin
2.5 STARS

I was initially excited to read this book, because it had a really unique premise that is different from anything else I've read recently. But unfortunately, events fell flat for me, and the book just left me with an overwhelming sense of meh.

The novel revolves around the five teenagers whose lives have been filmed for documentary audiences every five years. Our narrator, Justine, Keira, Nate, Rory, and Felix have all grown apart since the last doc was filmed. When the directors don't g
  • The Corner of Bitter and Sweet
  • Taste Test
  • Manicpixiedreamgirl
  • Thin Space
  • Life After Theft
  • The Boyfriend App (App, #1)
  • A Trick of the Light
  • Parallel
  • How (Not) to Find a Boyfriend
  • Just Like Fate
  • Louder Than Words
  • Escape Theory (Keaton School, #1)
  • Five Summers
  • Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions, #2)
Jennifer Castle received her B.A. in Creative Writing at Brown University and worked as a celebrity publicist’s assistant, an advertising copywriter, and a struggling screenwriter (yes, that’s an actual job) before falling into a niche producing websites for kids and teens. Her debut, THE BEGINNING OF AFTER, was a 2012 YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults selection as well as a Chicago Public Libra ...more
“Everyone has a story. It's simply a question of finding it.” 12 likes
“It's fascinating, how they managed to wound each other so easily and accidentally.” 9 likes