Start by marking “The Secret Life of Lady Julia” as Want to Read:
The Secret Life of Lady Julia

The Secret Life of Lady Julia

(Temberlay #2)

Just a year or so ago, Julia was a lovely earl's daughter, celebrating her betrothal to David, the Duke of Temberlay and set for a life of elegance and luxury.

But at her betrothal ball, she meets a stranger, a man who makes her feel like the most beautiful woman in the world—and when your fiancé thinks of you more as a little sister than a bride, that kind of attention can
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Life of Lady Julia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Life of Lady Julia

Carmen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Um
This is a very strange romance book.

Lady Julia is betrothed at age 8 to a man twice her age. When she's finally old enough to marry him, he's never stopped treating her like an uninteresting and annoying little sister. She's resigned herself to a boring and passionless marriage.

But walking in the park one day she meets a handsome and kind gentleman named Tom. He says some sweet sweet things to her and makes her feel like a woman for the first time.

That only expands when she sees him again at her
Katie(babs)
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Lecia Corwall's The Secret Life of Lady Julia has a strange premise not normally used in historical romances of this nature. The reason is that the hero and heroine are separated for most of the novel and another man is introduced and more favored for the heroine’s love. The novel starts with the heroine, Julia, who has been engaged to marry David, the Duke of Temberlay since she was eight. Julia isn’t happy about this marriage since David treats her more like an annoying sister. She feels nothi ...more
Marina
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it

This review was originally posted at: http://www.larissaslife.com/2013/05/m...

*NO Spoilers!*

Love it (not just for romance fans)

When I began reading this book I was thinking that I would like it just as much as I like all historic romance books but boy was I wrong!!!

Lisa
I have really enjoyed all of Lecia Cornwall's previous works but this one just did not click with me as much. It features a plot with political intrigue and that is just not a plot I enjoy personally. I also felt like the romance between Julia and Thomas needed a bit more attention. After a passionate meeting in the beginning, they do not speak to each other again until half way into the story. There were a lot of people and names and it got a bit confusing and overwhelming for me and I would ha ...more
Lady Wesley
I like my romances steamy. Nevertheless, I was so turned off by the sexual encounter in the first chapter that I put this book aside for a while. Having been given a eARC by edelweiss, however, I felt duty bound to read and review it, so after a couple of weeks I finally read the entire book.

Aside from the first chapter, I enjoyed this adventure/romance between a ruined earl's daughter and a aristocratic young man who had been stripped of his title. The primary setting at the Congress of Vienna
Lover of Romance
I was given a copy of this book by Edelweiss and Avon books in exchange for a honest review. This is the first time that I have read from this author, and I was a bit apprehensive because I didn't know what to expect or if I would have a hard time reading this. Surprisingly I found it to be a easy to get into read, and was quite unique for a historical romance set in the regency era.

Julia has been betrothed to her fiancee since she was seven years old, she has known him forever. He is nice, and
Farrah
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5/5

Think of the vibrant city of Vienna, in a time of luxury, political conflict, and tenuous peace, full of the most important political figures at the time. That is where we find ourselves in this wonderfully unique historical romance. Put all that together, add a touch of scandal and romance, and we have ourselves a fantastic read.

I loved the setting for this book. It's one thing to say a book is set somewhere, but another thing entirely to make the reader feel as if they are ther
Larissa
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review by Marina

Love it (not just for romance fans)

In this book we meet a young debutante of English aristocracy Julia Leighton and we watch her making her way through an arranged marriage and a life that was chosen for her without her consent. As a young and naïve woman Julia wanted more of something that she couldn’t name; was it admiration, was it acceptan
Felicity Donlan
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have previously loved Lecia Cornwall's books but I found this one really tedious to read. I know her other books have had elements of intrigue and espionage but with this one it just felt flat. I could barely get through the book.

I hated the first chapter and this sort of set the tone for the rest of the book. I think I didn't like it because after the first chapter the characters didn't see each other until halfway through. So the book was really slow moving. I like reading about the main cha
Melanie
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Full review available here:

What’s the difference between a love story and a romance novel? Is it based on the amount of romance there is? Does it have to do with the main focus of the story? Whatever that difference is, I would definitely categorize Lady Julia as a love story.
Tin
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Julia Leighton was the only daughter of the Earl and Countess of Carrindale and betrothed, from a very early age, to the Duke of Temberlay. Her future had been planned out for her and all she had to do was sit and wait for everything to happen. It is the life many girls aspire for, but a restlessness grows within Julia and grows more insistent as her betrothal ball draws nearer and the flames are fanned even further when Julia meets Thomas Merritt -- a man who excites her with a simple word and ...more
Janet Robel
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this, but it seems the romance was somewhat missing from the book. Most of the time, it was Julia and Stephen through the book. Thomas seemed to be doing his own thing. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Stephen Ives get his happy ending in another book.
Tracey
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was beyond tempted to throw this book in my 'take to the used bookstore' bin before I was two chapters into the story. I was forcing myself to read each page. It took me far longer to read this book because I was so uninspired by it.

I am usually rather tolerant to an author's occasional flop for my preferences. This book, however, was back to back books that left me so frustrated. I hate books where characters are forced to comply with the writer's will rather than allowing the story to devel
Judith
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
3.75 out of 5. It's a story well told and beautifully written. The heroine is a victim of a very brief encounter that has essentially turned her life upside down, largely because of the prejudice and lack of genuine love of parents who are more concerned about society than their daughter who have have banished. Now with a baby and a new position as a paid companion, the daughter of an earl and an almost duchess is lured into the dark side of politics as the European nations try to make sense out ...more
Anna Wallace
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
It was definitely different. The low ratings are a warning: if you are expecting a formula romance this is not it. I enjoyed it, but there were definitely moments of frustration through the first half of the book. If Cornwall would have waited even one more page to have then working together, I would have thrown the book at the wall. And I'm not sure if I feel completely satisfied with the resolution.

Stray observations:

- Lady Julia was a pretty damn clever chicka. Single mom, with a full time j
Mudpie
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Stars given for yhe colourful cast of supporting characters, some of whom are notorious historical who's who. Dorothea is real lovely, who never once treated Julia as the fallen lady, ex-peer now her servant unlike Stephen, who only seems to like Julia when things are going well. I didn't like the three main characters actually which is a really thing about this book. The part where the servants embellished the park robbery episode made me LOL so one star for that.
Alex
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I just found it weird that the main characters doesn't meet again until the middle of the book. There needed more interaction to make their relationship more believable. But the author does a great job in forming a love triangle...I really didn't know who she would chose. A lot of adventure...not much for romance.

Follow me on Twitter- ThisLadyReadsALot (@ThisLadyDoes)

MT931
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Once in a while I like reading historical romance, especially after a slew of angst love, paranormal, contemporary and a few disappointing novels. This book wasn't that bad. It was well written and Lady Julia is quite an interesting character. I found towards the end rushing to conclude Thomas's acceptance of his 9 month old son but other than that it was ok.
Nancy Sutphin
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me guessing almost to the very end, which I love!! I also spent quite a bit of time fussing at the main characters. To me, the best books pull you into their world and make you care, this book definitely does that. Now I'm hoping that the almost-hero gets a book of his own. The possibility is absolutely there! Another wonderful Lecia Cornwall book!
Karen
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, layered, and very human characters in a twisty, twisty plot and a gripping, multi-tissue ending (and an epilogue that got me right in the throat). The setting was amazing, too-- the peace conference at Vienna-- and I loved how historical figures were given life and woven in with the fictional characters.
Dottiebears
I usually love Lecia Cornwall, but this one just didn't work well for me. I liked the premise and I liked a lot of the writing, and I loved the heroine (at the beginning of the book anyway), but I just didn't like the way the whole thing unfolded. It felt very contrived.
Barbara
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Julia has it all, but one change encounter changes her life forever. Thomas Merritt is a thief but has never forgotten that night. When they meet in Vienna, a new chapter in their lives starts to take shape. A very good book.
Elena
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I wanted this book to be more exciting than it was. I wanted a lot more out of the hero than I got. I had such high hopes, with such an exciting premise and awesomely laid out characters, but in the end the story and the romance just fell flat for me.
Sehar  Moughal
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story line did not appeal to my imaginative mind. Two stars rating for the protagonist being a woman - portrayed as strong and iron willed.
Lynda
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
lady Julia becomes a spy. there was a hint that her fiancee may have been gay but it wasn't fully flushed out. There were some good elements
Micheala
The second book in Lecia’s trilogy was a good read. Once Julia and Merritt’s reunion occured, it was an adorable whirlwind of Julia “choosing” between two men. I use quotes because it was never really a choice for her. I am enjoying this series because for a historical romance, it is super historical. They focus so much on the war that was ongoing, and in this novel especially, the political side of it. My issue with this book is that even though the book is told in two POVS, Julia and Merritt d ...more
Megan
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The actual romantic piece was good, but the timing and pacing of the novel were absolute rubbish. The lovers spent most of the novel apart. And other than the love story, the plot wasn't terribly compelling.
Donna Foster
This was pretty good

I'm not as good as the first one it was alright explained a lot from the first book I think you kind of have to read the first book to get to understand the second one, now I'm onward to the Third!
Karen Darling
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too much spying and less romance.
Caitlyn Morelock
Awesome book! This is the first I've read of Lecia Cornwall's but immediately after finishing this book, which I fould was #2 in the series, I ordered #1 and #3... #alittleobsessed
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 28, 2015 09:51AM

• Surrender to the Earl (Brides of Redemption, #2)
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)
  • What a Wicked Earl Wants (The Sinful Scoundrels, #1)
  • A Passion for Pleasure (Daring Hearts, #2)
  • What a Lady Needs (The Redgraves, #2)
  • Love on a Midsummer Night (Shakespeare in Love, #2)
  • Midnight Temptations with a Forbidden Lord (Dangerous Rogues, #2)
  • Once Upon a Dream (The Montegu Family, #2)
  • The Dark Lady (Mad Passions, #1)
  • The Devil's Pearl (House of Trent, #0.5)
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • Song of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • Kisses, She Wrote (The Prince Catchers, #1.5)
  • Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella Sisterhood, #2)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Checkmate, My Lord (Nexus, #2)
Lecia Cornwall lives and writes in Calgary, Canada, amid the beautiful foothills of the Canadian Rockies, with four cats, two teenagers, a crazy chocolate Lab, and one very patient husband. She is hard at work on her next book.

Temberlay (3 books)
  • How to Deceive a Duke
  • What a Lady Most Desires (Temberlay, #3)