Start by marking “Undercurrent” as Want to Read:
Undercurrent

Undercurrent

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
A SHADOWY FIGURE. AN INTENSE ROAR. THE SENSATION OF FALLING - FAST.

That's all Callum Harris remembers from his tumble over the waterfall. But when he wakes up in a hospital bed and finds his best friend trying to kill him, Callum knows something is seriously wrong. Unfortunately for him, the mysteries are just getting started.

Why are his parents acting like he's some big s
Published July 23rd 2013 by HarperTeen

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
518 books — 2,464 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,068 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Undercurrent is a good book which I feel could have been a great book with some further development. It seemed to me that pretty much everything about this book was unfinished and the story was left hanging in a number of places. Perhaps the author will be kind enough to treat us to a sequel which will explore a number of things briefly touched upon in this novel and tie up all the loose ends, but judging by the ending, I am doubting that will be the case*.

I did like a lot about Undercurrent and
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I suddenly feel something press down over my face. And just then I remember how all that water felt, pouring over the falls onto me. It was like a mountain, pounding down, driving me under.
The pillow is nowhere near as heavy. But it doesn't matter. I’m no more able to breathe than when I was at the bottom of the river, slammed against the rocks.
And I'm no more able to stop my best friend, Bryce, who is now grunting with the effort of smothering me.

Undercurrent sucked me in (no pun intended, I sw
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
2.5 stars.

How is it that every good idea gets ruined all to hell these days? The idea behind Undercurrent wasn’t perhaps the most original but it was brilliant and it had so much potential. And yet the final result, the first-page-to-last-page experience, is as underwhelming and confusing as they come.

It all started promisingly, with Callum waking up in a hospital after an accident at the waterfall, confused, disoriented and desperate for answers. Instead of giving him some, his best friend tr
Mitch
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm just gonna come right out and say it: you have to be a certain kind of reader to 'get' Undercurrent. If you approach this book the same way you approach any other young adult book, looking for the same linear storytelling and plot itself being the point of the book, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Me? I'm an avid of fan of classic sci-fi shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, so for me at least it was fairly easy to guess what Paul Blackwell was aiming for with this one. ...more
Giselle
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
When I heard someone say this was reminiscent of The Butterfly Effect, which is one of my favorite movies ever, I jumped on the chance to read this book. It does have that neat butterfly effect factor, but I did find the book itself had no real… point. It's for entertainment only! When I finished the book I was stunned at where it left off, especially when no sign of a sequel can be found. It wasn't a cliffhanger per se, but it was a very odd ending that didn't feel like much of a conclusion.

Ala
Soumi
Nov 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
It's the same dude from The Syndicate by Shelena Shorts cover
Trisha
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-to-go
"So who is the monster now?"

I love this cover - dark and mysterious. I love the half cut face and the look of the wording on the cover. So the book intrigued me from the get go. The synopsis was interesting but I definitely read this one for the cover.

But I didn't love it like I thought I would. I just didn't feel all that pulled into the story. I found Callum to be incredibly frustrating - not because he wasn't a nice MC (I don't really need a nice MC to like a book) but he was frustrating in
Gia
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

This book was a fun read. Something new, different and appealed me enough to keep on reading.

This was based on some theories of Physics. I really find Physics' theories, facts and discoveries intriguing so this book was something I enjoyed. Plus, my Physics teacher told me about some of these theories, I was glad that reading it in a book made me really get into it. And truly the ending left me pondering about mysteries of this vast universe.

Undercurrent was well-written. Great suspen
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
Actual Rating: 3.5

I really regret not reading this sooner. I received this arc one to two months ago but I got it at a weird time and it got hidden under the numerous other arcs I had been accepted for at the same time. The first time I did finally get to it, I didn't make much progress because the writing style is very funky, to say the least. So once again, I put it down to read other arcs.

I got back to it a few days ago and I'm overall, very happy that I didn't let it get forgotten.

The writ
Rissa
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense, suspenseful, and weird but a good weird. Highly recommend this over the falls craziness.

What if the life you thought you knew never really happened. What if the life you now live is the complete opposite of what you used to know. What if the person who was your best friend is now trying to kill you.
Jenni Arndt
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-ebook
After seeing the very middling reviews of Undercurrent I had lowered my expectations going into it a bit. I don’t know if it was the lowering of my expectations or just the book itself but I came out of this one having had such a good time reading it. Callum was a really great MC and I loved watching him figure out exactly what was going on in the twisted world that he woke up in.

Callum wakes up after having fallen into Crystal Falls, the waterfall in his small town that no one has gone into and
Rashika (is tired)
“It’s black where I am. All night sky and no stars”

I may have been a little lenient with the rating of this book but after reading two disappointing YA books this was definitely a relief so I decided to round up instead of rounding down.

This book starts with Callum waking up in a hospital but things aren’t the way he remembers them. For starters, his best friend tries to kill him when he is still in the hospital!

Callum is a complicated character. I am not sure whether I liked him or not becaus
Amber at Fall Into Books
Feb 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Harper Teen is one of my favorite publishers. I almost always enjoy every thing they publish, and I end up buying 90% of the books that I review by them. However, sometimes they publish a dud, and Undercurrent is their dud for the season, at least in my opinion. Callum is a detestable character. The secondary characters as well as the plot are under-developed, and the writing is subpar. This is a book that I'd recommend checking out from the library before buying. Some people loved it, and some ...more
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
I hate not liking a book, so it makes me sad to say that I really did not like Undercurrent. Which is really surprising because I normally like the books I get from Harper Teen.

Undercurrent is an alternate universe type of books and I have not ever read any of these types of books. I really wasn't sure what to expect but the back cover blurb sounded really interest. Callum wakes up in the hospital after going over a waterfall. He is the only person they ever have known to go over and make it ou
Debbie Narh
good

3.5 Stars

Confusing, exciting, and fun, Undercurrent is a novel that readers will enjoy! The story isn't perfect, it has some problems with the secondary characters that makes it a bit tough to like them. But it's a fun story about alternate realities and how one choice can make or break you. Literally.

While we're learning more and more about Cal, the writing for the story is more telling instead of showing during the first half. In the second half, the writing gets better, with more things bei
Taya
Jul 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I could honestly not finish this book. It was horribly written, and the plot was all over the place. It was really disappointing and I had expected a lot more from this book. The character was so naive and you never knew what was going on because the character didn't, which made it feel like the author didn't.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Cal Harris was only trying to set an example and make a point, instead he ends up in a three day coma and finally waking up is just the beginning of his nightmare.

Opening Sentence: A hundred and twenty gallons of water roar over Crystal Falls every second, it says on the plaques and in every pamphlet in town.

Review:

I enjoy reading thrillers like this one. The ending might be just a tad predictable and the plot may be just a smidge over done
Zachary Flye (Zach's YA Reviews)
Review:

Protagonist: I don't know if there has been any protagonist I've despised more. Callum Harris takes a majority of the novel to fully realize he's not in his same world after his tumble over the waterfall. Now, I understand being confused, as paranormal moments don't happen in real life, but when he was shown unparalleled evidence that the world he's in now, isn't his own, he still refused to believe it. He would think that either someone was playing a joke on him, or that his friends pret
Isamlq
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-galley
UNDERCURRENT touches on a number of intriguing concepts alternate realities plus dark sides then getting what you never asked ask for… except only one of them is completely tackled. What aspect? He’s taken a fall, woken up to a town that sees him in a totally different light and treats him thus. My biggest frustration though is how it takes him forever to see things for what they were … instead it’s him constantly not accepting that maybe just there’s something more than just him having fallen a ...more
Kat
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine waking up one day and everything you thought was your life was suddenly different. Your friends are no longer your friends, and it seems that you are not even the person you thought you were. This is exactly what happens to Callum in Undercurrent, and when I read the synopsis I was immediately intrigued.

Callum is a pretty average teenage boy - he hates sports, has a close group of friends that aren't the most popular kids in school but aren't particularly picked on, and does OK in school
Christy LoveOfBooks
2.5

Read that blurb. How can you not get excited about this book after reading it? I certainly was. Undercurrent sounded like a book that would be exciting and mess with my head – I love that. Alternate realities are one of my favorite things, and the more complicated they are the better. For me, though, this book didn’t quite live up to the hype of the blurb. I’m not saying it’s bad, but I was definitely expecting more from it.

Undercurrent starts with Cal waking up from a three day coma after go
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Dimensional stories are a new genre that I'm really loving. It a mix of moving action along with a mysterious force, pulling the reader into different worlds. I, for one, loved this story.

Plot: What would you do if you plunged into water and woke up in a different world? First, I freak out and then I think what do to. The plot moved well gathering the reader for great world building and characters. On the surface, the reader see and feels the gaps in the world. It's a daring experience trying to
Paula  from Reading Lark
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-13
I enjoy reading a male POV once in a while, so I decided to give Undercurrent a try. I am glad I did- it was an entertaining read, and a nice change of pace from my usual girl-centered YA.

This book is all about the suspense and intrigue. This main character, Callum, wakes up in the hospital, having survived a trip over the falls. Early on he begins noticing that things don't seem right. The bulk of the book is about his journey to figure out what has happened to the life he remembers. I liked ho
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Over the past year or so I've been reading more thrillers than I ever had in my whole 24 years on this planet. There's just something special about unraveling the mystery while you're on the edge of your seat.

Callum wakes up disoriented in a hospital surrounded with family and friends. He doesn't know how he got there when his best friend tries to smother him with a pillow. Soon he finds himself in a world where he's no longer the geeky, silent guy but the most popular one in school. Callum doe
Tricia
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
At first glance this book is interesting and clever... Then, not so much.
I was enjoying this book for about the first 2/3 of it, pretty good right? Then it all fell apart. My boy, Callum, could not understand that he wasn't home. Dorothy knew pretty quickly that she wasn't in Kansas, but Callum only thought it was some weird prank. That got tiring.
The ending was a huge letdown for me. Too many unanswered questions. Even if this was written with a sequel in mind, there were still too many unans
Lenore Appelhans
Very creepy thriller about Callum, a teen who goes over a waterfall in his town and ends up in an alternate version of his world where one decision changed everything.

Of course it takes Callum most of the book to figure out that this is case, but the reader knows much, much earlier. Callum would rather believe he's the one that's gone crazy, because the existence of a multiverse is crazy right?
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: No Boy Will Ever Read This
Drinking Buddy: Which Way Did He Go, George?
Testosterone Level: Overload
Talky Talk: "Like That One Episode of the Twilight Zone."
Bonus Factors: Alternate Reality, Crazy Science Teacher
Bromance Status: I Love You Man...Um, It Is You, Right?

Read the full book report here.
Katrina Belle
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a good book but I didn't really understand the ending. Throughout the book, I felt asking a lot of "why" since it can be confusing while reading this book. I feel like there should be a second book
Giselle
Epic Reads ladies mentioned this to be like the Butterfly Effect which was one of my fave books I had to read for school.
Dulce Gonzalez
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered how you would feel, or how you would react if your whole life were to turn around randomly? What would happen? What would you do? Who would you tell? Who could you trust? … I know, it's pretty confusing and you're probably thinking 'pff like if that would ever happen’ well it can, just ask Cal…. Cal or Callum as they use to call him.. “It's black where I am. All night sky and no stars. And silent. Or at least it was-- things are becoming less black, more of a dark red, li ...more
Free Book Giveaway: Undercurrent by Paul Blackwell 2 eBook copies 3 5 Aug 22, 2013 02:52PM
  • This is W.A.R.
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Play Me Backwards
  • Breaking Glass
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Relativity
  • The Last Academy, The
  • Fake ID
  • Brother, Brother
  • Remember Me (Find Me, #2)
  • In Too Deep
  • Parallel
  • Plague in the Mirror
  • Criminal
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • 3:59
Paul Blackwell has never gone over a waterfall himself, but he did jump off a sixty-foot cliff once—something he does not recommend to others. He lives in Montreal, the city of his birth. There, in a small apartment near the Lachine Canal, he listens to rumbling trains and writes thrillers late into the night. Undercurrent is his first book for teens.
“Well, if everything stays the same forever, you stop enjoying what you've got. And stop appreciating people.” 5 likes
“Something has either gone very wrong with this place, or something has gone very wrong with me.
I honestly don't know which one it is.”
1 likes