Start by marking “How to Lose a Bride in One Night (Forgotten Princesses, #3)” as Want to Read:
How to Lose a Bride in One Night (Forgotten Princesses, #3)

How to Lose a Bride in One Night (Forgotten Princesses #3)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,565 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
He saved her life...

When Annalise Hadley is tossed over the side of her honeymoon barge, the newly-minted duchess knows she's been left for dead -- for her husband's only interest is in her vast dowry, not her muddied lineage. However, she didn't count on a savior. Especially not an honorable, sinfully intriguing earl who will tempt her to risk everything—again.

Now he will
Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Avon (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about How to Lose a Bride in One Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Lose a Bride in One Night

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

How to Lose a Bride in One Night is the third book in Sophie Jordan's Forgotten Princesses series. It's an entertaining, unique story, but at times felt flat and predictable. I'm normally a fan of Ms. Jordan's writing, and while it didn't WOW me, I did enjoy this installment.

A copy of this book was provided by Avon Books.

Muse-ic ♬
If you're in the mood for some mildly steamy brain candy, then this is a decent book to pick up. I flew through it in a couple hours, from 11:30 P.M. to 2:00 A.M. (because I'm dumb).
The title is misleading. It only refers to the initial scene.

Annalise is the illegitimate daughter of a Duke, who provided her with a dowry large enough to get her married to another Duke............ who then proceeded to attempt her murder on their wedding night. That's what happened in the first couple chapters th
Zoe
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was not bad.

It just was not particularly good.

I always tend to rate Sophie Jordan better because her stories always read very well. This one is no exception. It is no hardship to sink into her story. It just happens. Her words draw you in. So even if I end up feeling that this book is just one big nothing, I am more likely to rate it better than other books of similar caliber, which I had to, however, try to finish.

So this book went by quickly for me. Sophie Jordan does this magic w
Laura the Highland Hussy
read my review at Got Fiction? books

3.5

This is the third novel in the Forgotten princesses series and what starts out as a dream wedding quickly becomes a nightmare. Annalise’s new husband tries to kill her. He very nearly succeeds. Her perfect duke turns out to be a money-grubbing man who only pretended to like her for her dowry. While she is fighting wedding night jitters, he is preparing to kill her.

Owen finds Annalise facedown and battered on the riverbank after she’s been tossed overboard o
Becca
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the last book in the Forgotten Princesses series. While it was good, I think the first book in this series was best. In this story, there was a lot of potential, but not all of it came to fruition. There are secrets galore and I got frustrated on numerous occasions because it was clear a simple conversation would have cleared a number of things up. Of the three books (and novella), this tale had the most drama and some of it was a bit overblown.

Overall though, it was still a quick read.
Tandie
I was in the mood for some fluffy brain candy. I've been hitting the paranormal stuff pretty hard & historical romances are usually good 'in betweeners'. This was quick & entertaining. I was bugged by the same thing Kate mentioned. MC has a limp & her new husband looks at her with disgust. He calls her a cow as he hefts her body into the river. Fast forward. MC rebroke her leg & this time it was set properly. She also dropped some weight during the recovery process. She runs into ...more
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sophie Jordan's The Forgotten Princesses series features the illegitimate daughters of wealthy Jack Hadley, and Annalise is the "princess" this time. I find this novel to be weaker amongst the others in the series, but that could be due to the lack of much concrete action in the story (as opposed to tremendous tension and suspense). Nonetheless, Owen and Annalise are captivating characters and their romance is passionate, thrilling, and enchanting.

Annalise has lived a hard life working as a sea
Lisa
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love books that start with a unique beginning and the newest from Sophie Jordan certainly does that! Annalise Hadley thinks she has struck gold, not only has she been reunited with her wealthy father and found she has sisters, but she is marrying a duke. A duke who seems to care for her in spite of her limp and normal features. However on her honeymoon barge the horrible truth comes out about her duke as he tries to kill her and she is thrown overboard. Unconscious, she washes up on shore and ...more
kris
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Anna(lise) marries this Duke thinking she's going to get her Happy Ever After. Until he, you know, attempts to smother her with a pillow and then tosses her overboard. Enter Owen, a veteran Earl, who rescues her and houses her while she recuperates. I guess they fall in love? And then she finally (even though there's no reason to wait so long??) confesses about being MARRIED and stuff happens.

1. I really, really hated the fact that Annalise's limp is ~miraculously healed. Like, the idea that he
Lover of Romance
I recently discovered Sophie Jordan over the past few months, and have really loved her books that I have read so far. This newer series of hers, has been so far, inspirational. There is such emotion that is played out throughout this one. I read the first one not too long ago, so I was thrilled to have a chance to read this one though Avon and Edelweiss. This story brings out a unique tale of a woman that has had the shock of her life, and has to learn to rely on a stranger for help. When her h ...more
Jessie
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-ebook
More like 2.5 stars. Maybe. It was entertaining, but the plot was entirely too contrived. Like ridiculously:

(view spoiler)
Lauren
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one much
Shelves: romance, historical
Shana Galen
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This just might be my favorite of all of Sophie Jordan's historicals. She's crafted a really fresh, unique story with all the emotion and complexity of character her readers expect. Annalise was truly a wonderful heroine. She wasn't the typical spitfire. I liked that she had REAL self-esteem issues to work through. What a sweet and wonderful book. Definitely recommend.
Nicole
I do not read historical romances typically but was eager to read this after I saw it featured on the author's newsletter.

The title was quite catching and the story goes like this: Annalise Hadley is the bastard child of Jack Hadley, a wealthy man in London. After years of living in poverty, her father finds her and boosts her into a life she could only imagine. She is soon married to Duke Bloodsworth, who is in line for the throne. On their wedding night, he smothers her and throws her off thei
Katie Michaels
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Annalise has never been the kind of woman who turned heads. She grew up the daughter of single woman in difficult financial circumstances. She is a bit pudgy; she has a limp from a childhood injury; and she could use a little work on her self esteem. But her life seemed to turn around when her long lost father came back into her life. Yes, she was still illegitimate and her aforementioned problems were still there, but a big dowry can go a long way to changing a girl’s prospects. As the story be ...more
amanda
Gorgeous Nina
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-shiny-stars
I feel so sad that this is the end of the series.
I can't express my feelings towards the people in these books. . YES people I wrote it right because for me they are, I was so caught up in the plot it felt as if I was living the book not just reading it.
I honestly feel like crying that it's over. I haven't enjoyed my reading as much for a long time.
This is my first series for thus amazing author and no need to say that I became a huge fan.
Thank you miss Jordan for reminding me why I started rea
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2013/08/review-...

Favorite Quote: “Life had not shown her a string of honorable men.”

When Annalise Hadley marries the man of her dreams, she never imagines he would attempt to kill her on their honeymoon. Tossed overboard and left for dead, Annalise manages to make it to shore before collapsing. Rescue comes in the form of a recluse hero whose secrets bind him tightly to the shadows.

Owen Crawford, The Earl of McDowell, home from the war, doesn’t want an
Les Romantiques
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Rinou
Review Copy from the Publisher

When I read the blurb, I jumped on this book. After all, it’s really the first time I meet a heroine whose husband tries to kill on their wedding night. I wasn’t disappointed, even though some days after finishing it my enthusiasm waned a little.

HtLaB is the last book in the Forgotten Princesses series, and if it can be read alone, I thought the heroine’s history was passed a bit quickly, probably because
Book Binge
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sophie Jordan is one of those historical romance writers that just seems to hit a home run most of the time. Her literary batting average is right up there and she has done it again . . . written a story that is creative and different yet is filled with the color and pageantry that marks good historical romance fiction.

The hero is a quiet, reclusive man with secrets to hide, the kind that are rooted in hurt and regret. The heroine is a quiet and caring woman who has lived a life on the edge of p
Judith
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
As is the case with all the Sophie Jordan stories I have read and reviewed, this one has a shocker or two in it. It is also about hurting and damaged people, often by external circumstances, and certainly in this case, about a woman who has lost most everything that was important to her--her mom is gone, she has no father that she knows until her dad claims her--and now her erstwhile bridegroom has proven to be far less than what he seemed. It is also the story of a man who was willing to put hi ...more
Elis Madison
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Annelise Hadley has fulfilled her natural father's wishes—she's married a duke. No one was more surprised than she was when he chose her, despite her gimpy leg and not-so-inspiring appearance. Even with her dowry she never thought she had a chance of becoming the Duchess of Bloodworth.

She goes to her wedding night a little nervous, but confident that her husband cares for her. That is, until he does his best to murder her.

Beaten, broken, and almost drowned, she washes up on a river shore, wher
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
This was quite angsty but I enjoyed it. I liked Annalise and Owen, and I liked their romance and watching them get to know each other, I can understand her motivations for keeping the big secret but there were times where a bit more communication between the two of them would have helped. The plot started unusually but then went along fairly predictable lines but it was a light fun read.

Bloodsworth did just seem a bit too much of an evil cliché and was working off the Evil Overlord list in place
QiJia 치쟈
I'm clearly in a fluffy light historical romance mood:D

Sophie Jordan's books are perfect when you're looking for some fun light entertaining read. Hence sadly can never achieve a 5 star until I finally found a memorable story line.

I like Annalise, seeing how she became from a weak vulnerable girl to a stronger character and all thanks to Owen:)

If you are looking for light fun HR reads, check out Sophie Jordan's HR and her Foreplay (NA genre).
Kate Bond
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This was really good. Unfortunately, the main characters use the racial slur "Gypsy" in front of Romani people a bit too often (although the Romani themselves do not use the slur, so that's something). Also, (view spoiler)
Alessandra Torre
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great read - beautifully written. I have always avoided historical, but this was great - and made me rethink my reading choices.

Wendy Marcus
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall I enjoyed the book and pretty much read it in one sitting. But I did not like the ending. Thus four stars instead of five.
Jess the Romanceaholic
Contained just one too many of my pet peeves for it to truly excel for me, but still a very entertaining read, and a great ending to the series.

4/5, full review to follow.
LibraryDanielle
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
was decent, but then the ending was incredibly rushed
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 21, 2015 01:26PM
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • I Married the Duke (The Prince Catchers, #1)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (House of Brady, #3)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • How to Entice an Enchantress (The Duchess Diaries, #3)
  • The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair, #1)
  • Brody (Circle Eight, #2)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • Christmas Brides
  • The Bride Says No (The Brides of Wishmore, #1)
  • My Notorious Gentleman (The Inferno Club, #6)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • 'Twas the Night after Christmas (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #6; The Duke's Men, #0.5)
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • Texas Mail Order Bride (Bachelors of Battle Creek, #1)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years
More about Sophie Jordan...

Forgotten Princesses (3 books)
  • Wicked in Your Arms (Forgotten Princesses, #1)
  • Lessons from a Scandalous Bride (Forgotten Princesses #2)