Start by marking “A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)

A Bear Called Paddington

(Paddington Bear #1)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  70,980 ratings  ·  1,185 reviews
An alternate cover edition of this ISBN can be found here.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown first met Paddington, a most endearing bear from Darkest Peru on a railway platform in London. A sign hanging around his neck said, "Please look after this bear. Thank you" So that is just what they did.

From the very first night when he attempted his first bath and ended up nearly
Published May 31st 2018 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published January 1st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Bear Called Paddington, please sign up.
Desiree Harster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru

Perú is a country in South America. To the west it has the Pacific Ocean and to the East has the Amazonian Forest, which would be the "Darkest Perú" of the Paddington tales. Nevertheless, Perú forests have no bears at all. Its fauna has deers, pumas, birds as guacamayos among others. South America has only one kind of bear which lives in the highlands.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremarc... (less)

·  70,980 ratings  ·  1,185 reviews

Start your review of A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
Manny
ABearCalledPaddington

Okay Goodreads Recommendation Engine, I know you're just trying to get us into trouble again... but it'll be fun! I'm in. And bring a jar of marmalade.
Bradley
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy, ya
So. Yeah. I read this to my kiddo on the assumption it would be nice and wholesome and, above all, CUTE.

I suppose it fits the bill. In a way. In an old generation way. In one of those generations that are sleeping the nice comfy warm dreams of the ever-cozy and drowsy lives that can accept only a tiny little smidge of fantasy in their staid, solid, middle-class English suburbia.

I had to stop the book about ten times with my daughter because either she or I fell asleep on
Alex
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
The entire plot of every Paddington story is he loses a sandwich.
Jessica
When the first trailer for that awful-looking Paddington movie appeared, my kids asked about Paddington and I described him in glorious detail and then I . . . realized something. I knew that Paddington was a book, I had always known this. But I had never read it! My experience with Paddington as a child was limited to the wonderful cartoon, which used to play on the early Disney Channel. If you're not familiar with the Paddington cartoon, you really must find it! the people are hand drawn, with ...more
Trish
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic children's book about a silly little bear from Peru that is picked up at Paddington Station by a British family.

Paddington isn't his actual name but nobody can pronounce his Peruvian one correctly, or so he says. Therefore, his new family is naming him, resulting in the quirky name so many generations of children have come to know and love.
After his aunt is in a home for elderly bears, he is sent on his journey to England because his aunt expects him to have a better life there. And boy, does he ever. The litt
Sandy
This summer, I am attempting to balance my reading with some lighter fare. This is the perfect antidote to the intensity of the winter's books. Fun, frolicking, fantasy! What a wonderful bear!
Sita
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, childrens, reviewed
Wow. And I mean WOW.

description

This is a children’s book, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now, but it is a good book I can’t say I would recommend it to anyone now, but for children it is a fun, exciting read. I was in love with Paddington; I wished my parents would find a bear like that at the train station.

Mr Brown coughed loudly. “It doesn’t seem a very exciting story,” he said, impatiently.
He reached across and poked Paddington with his pipe. “Well I never,” he said, “I do believe he’s fallen asleep!”

That is one of the m
GoldGato
Dear Mr. Paddington,

I am writing this to you. And I hope that you will read it so you know. I guess I'm just another fan of yours, but I thought I'd write and tell you so.

You made me love you. I didn't want to do it. No. I didn't want to do it. You made me love you, and all the time you knew it. I'm fairly sure you knew it. You made me happy, sometimes you made me glad. But there were times, sir, you made me feel so mad.

I think you're grand, that's true. Yes I do. Indeed I do. You know you made me love you.

Aw gee, Paddingtoyou.
Aw
Chrissie
This is a story for a child, not for the adult reading to a child. It comes nowhere near A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh stories. Isn’t it best when both the child and adult get a kick out of the shared reading experience?

The writing is ordinary, as is the content of the stories. What is drawn is a child’s world. A day at the beach, a birthday party, doing magic tricks. For a child, there may very well be delight in the ordinary. An inordinate number of calamities arise, all due to unintention
Steven Walle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very good children's book. I remember it from my childhood. It is a very cute little story.

Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Steven
Luisa Knight
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh. my. cuteness!

This book has entered into my top favorites for young kids and books to recommend for family read-alouds. The narrative was top notch and as smooth and as delectable as sweet cream. And Paddington and the Brown family: simply the nicest, most endearing host of characters you'd ever want to know.

Read it. You and your kids will LOVE it!

Ages: 5+

Cleanliness: for goodness' sake, goodness gracious, Mercy, Gosh, and Crikey are used. Mentions a man s
Christina
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We meet Paddington for the first time at Paddington station where he sits, small and lonely, on his suitcase, wondering what to do after having travelled all the way from Darkest Peru in a lifeboat, surviving on a jar of marmelade.
Luckily, he meets the Browns who take him in, feed him, care for him - and help him whenever he gets into trouble.
I think the highest recommendation I can give for this book and for sweet little Paddington is, that I made my boyfriend laugh so hard he cried
Loren Johnson
I had my first taste of Paddington Bear when I was 7 years old and read the first story. I loved it then and I still love it now. It's always nice to revisit childhood classics - and this is definitely one I'm glad I picked up again. It's like when you rewatch a kids movie that you haven't seen since you were young - you pick up on so many things that you didn't notice back then. I don't care that I am 21, I love this story. Michael Bond was a truly gifted man, and deserved his Paddington Statue ...more
Catherine Ford
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
So I read this book for my bookclub RECS... and no it wasn't someone else who chose it, it was me!!! :D

I really wish that Paddington had been introduced to me as a child, because even as an adult the cuteness got to me. There are 8 stories in this collection. My favourites were when Paddington screwed up the Underground, when he went shopping and the story with the painting. It was all very amusing, and just took me back to innocent times in my life. If you're a parent, then please i
Chinook
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, europe
I really thought this was going to be a picture book when I borrowed it from the library, but it ended up being considerably longer than expected and quite delightful. It’s funny that I’ve bought a Paddington Bear from the station once but had never read the books.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, classics, childrens
Paddington Bear is a much-loved children's character from the 50s, but not one I precisely grew up with. I always knew about Paddington, but mostly because of my older sisters. I don't remember seeing the show (I'm pretty sure there was a cartoon) or reading the books. What I do remember is this story:

When I was about thirteen, we mated our kelpie sheepdog, Tess, with another farmer's kelpie. We got two male pups. One of my older sisters named them: one was called Paddington, the other, Bear.
Cute and fun but I still prefer Winnie-the-Pooh over Paddington bear. Why am I comparing the two? Probably because they are both sweet, clean, classical, type reads about bears. I've always loved Winnie-the-Pooh though, the charm to the stories, and all of the lovable characters. This felt a little boring in comparison; at least that's what I kept kept thinking while I was listening to the audio. This would be a fun audio or read aloud for kids though. My girls had fun listening to it while I di ...more
Sheila Beaumont
A Bear Called Paddington is a delightful, hilarious read for all ages. Yes, for all ages, not just children.

Oxford don Katherine Rundell has written a new book titled Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and So Wise. One series she especially recommends is Paddington, which she says has a built-in structure of hope. No matter how disastrous Paddington's misadventures seem to be, they are just minor cogs in the miraculous thing that is life, and everything turns out all r
Veronika
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I am ages late, but I completely fell in love with this little bear.

I watched both movies few weeks ago and then talked about them so much that my sister got me the Paddington book for my birthday (she is a treasure, I know <3 ).

And it was sooo cute :) Paddington completely stole my heart. It is primarily book for younger children, but I loved it in my 29 and I am sure I will love it later. I can't wait to read this book to my future children.

All the love for Paddington Brown.
Casey (caseydillabooks)
Where has Paddington been all my life? Hillarious antics, a heart of gold, and a lot of marmalade. Love it.
Jon
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Check out Scott Reads It for reviews, giveaways & more!

When I was a child, I was never introduced to Paddington Bear and there was one bear in my life and that was Winnie The Pooh. It wasn't until I saw promotions for the upcoming Paddington movie that I decided I needed to see what I had missed out on as a child. This is the type of book that I would've loved when I was younger -- the type of book that would get reread and reread until all of the pages became frayed and bent out of sha
Rachel
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to revisit this book after enjoying the recent films. I found it a charming read, with adventure, surprises and comic moments. A useful read for people of today, as it tells the story of how Paddington comes to live in a foreign country not understanding how things work, but is taken in and shown great kindness by the Brown family. He has excellent manners, speaks good English and always means well ( although numerous disasters occur). Therefore, everyone invariably grows to love him an ...more
Shawn Mooney (Shawn The Book Maniac)
In memory of the author who died yesterday, I gave my first Paddington book a try. It didn't go so well. I hate children's literature— but I am in my sixth decade so give me a break. LOL. I think I'll pull the Ted movie DVD off the shelf and enjoy it instead.
Rasheed
Found it funny when I was a kid.
Sonia Jarmula
Perfectly charming. Paddington really is an institution. So good to revisit.
evelina
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
So cute!
Kerry Leonard
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was on my list of betterment.

Paddington is just so loveable! He is so cheeky and gets away with a lot, I even found myself laughing to myself about some of the situations he gets himself into.

I like how each chapter in the book was a new little story. It made it very easy to read and the stories do build upon what we already know about Paddington and the Brown's.

In some places the book was quite dated and I feel some children would not pick up on this but the ones which do wou
Fiona MacDonald
Paddington has always been a childhood favourite of mine. He's so adorable and stupid that you can't help but love him.
This first book chronicles Paddington's 'rescue' from Paddington Station (where he has been stranded after coming all the way from 'darkest Peru') by the Brown family, who take him into their home and make him part of the family. Paddington does have a tendency to get himself stuck in places he shouldn't be, or into situations that he can't get out of, and this is the basi
Mary Durrant
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have fond memories of reading this as a child.
Loved re-reading.
Wonderful stories!
Greta
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
After reading "All the Bright Places" *still crying*, the story about Paddington was rally good choice. This book was funny and sweet, and it made me laugh-that's what I really needed :))
The Better Bear: Winnie-the-Pooh vs. Paddington 1 7 Sep 09, 2018 02:55AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Request 3 15 Sep 25, 2017 10:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Accurate or alternate cover to add 7 19 Apr 03, 2016 02:38PM

• The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of Babar
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • The Complete Adventures of Curious George
  • Eloise
  • James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
  • Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • A Pocket for Corduroy
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge
  • A Kiss for Little Bear
  • Stone Soup
  • My Naughty Little Sister (Naughty Little Sister, #1)
Michael Bond, CBE was an English children's author. He was the creator of Paddington Bear and wrote about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also wrote culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.

Paddington Bear (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • Paddington Abroad (Paddington Bear, #4)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington, #8)
  • Paddington Takes the Air (Paddington, #9)
  • Paddington On Top (Paddington, #10)
  • Paddington Takes the Test (Paddington, #11)
“It's nice having a bear about the house.” 32 likes