Start by marking “Magic Beach” as Want to Read:
Magic Beach

Magic Beach

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Magic Beach, the first new book in forty years from the creator of Harold and the Purple Crayon, is the story of a boy and girl who discover the power of words on an enchanted beach. Published in celebration of the centennial of Crockett Johnsons' birth, Magic Beach includes an appreciation by Maurice Sendak, to whom Crockett Johnson was a mentor and friend, and an afterwo ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Front Street, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Magic Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Beach

Miriam
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Two children go to the beach to look for a shell, but find something far more mysterious.

Rejected several times before being finally published under a different name and with very different illustrations by Betty Fraser.

My edition has an introduction by Maurice Sendak, in which I learned that he was mentored by Johnson and his wife Ruth Krauss in his youth and off-and-on lived with them.
Mandy E
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-babes
A Fisher King! It was thrilling, as a secret lover of medieval literature and reader of the romances of de Troyes, to move through Crockett Johnson's book and gradually recognize it as a retelling of the old Arthurian tale as a profoundly imaginative children's story. Not only was it sweet enough to engage and entertain the babes, but it was also a very complex and intriguing meditation on narrative and language itself.
Miranda
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book-art
Crockett Johnson's original sketches are included in this new edition of his story formerly published under the title Castles in the Sand (and illustrated by someone else). The story was designed to be an "I Can Read" book and this is evidenced by the consistent placement of the dialogue on the white spaces of the page. The sketches, though unfinished, allow the reader a glimpse into the author's own vision of the text. The pictures support the text and help young readers to learn to read. The l ...more
Jenny
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pencil/simple drawings were fun, as were the story, but I keep getting hung up on abrupt endings...I must expect more and just need to enjoy the story and let my imagination not feel stuck...or something! Cute, imaginative story for children. I liked the harder paper in the edition we read.
Jody
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the foreword and afterword. It explained the book and what the author went through to try to get this published. The story has to be read a least twice to see the many things going on, subconsciously and on paper. Interesting.
Amy Wise
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a cute book, but it didn't seem finished to me. It has a cute message of magic and making things happen. It is from the same author that wrote Harold and the Purple Crayon which I loved. This one seemed confusing to me.
Patricia
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Well, it is a bit of a darkly imaginative story. I liked it for its imagination, and I have loved Crockett Johnson's other work, and his sweet drawings. I'd like to have a beach like this one, but it sure doesn't last long, does it!
Dave Wilson
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 544-advchldlit
A fun idea, very imaginative especially for young kids as they rend to have no boundary of thoughts and questions. The art is interesting and random at times. I think a beach like this would be great but it could also cause some trouble as kids innocence drifts into adolescence. lol
Robin
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the minimalist sketchiness of the original dummy. The story may be hard for children to grasp but I enjoyed it tremendously.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 added it
Magic Beach by Crockett Johnson (2005)
Elizabeth Merchant
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-library
Haunting.
Annie
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is such a profound, heart-string-tugging, makes-you-want-to-cry, ache-for-childhood book. LOVE it. More so with every read though...
Kris McCracken