Jump to ratings and reviews

Ethan Cadfael: The Battle Prince

When a young warrior-queen stumbles into the ho-hum capital city of Canada, all hell breaks loose.

Ethan Evans, a Carleton University student with everything going for him, stumbles upon the mysterious body of a gravely injured young woman on campus one Hallowe'en. Given to the care of the Ottawa Police and the staff at the Montford hospital, he thinks no more of it.

Until monsters attack him just days later.

Saved by the very same girl he found, he embarks upon a seemingly impossible quest to return the young queen to her people before the divide between worlds closes for another year. Chased by monsters and the Ottawa Police alike, the pair recruit a motley crew of unlikely friends to help them on their way.

Meanwhile, in the land of the Pobl Gwir, the idyllic island city, Y Ynys Bendigaid, and the mighty fortress, Caer Avallach, is under siege, the island lake surrounded on all sides by the frog-like men known to them as the Dynion Gors.

Desperately in need of their queen, and the Knights of Caer Avallach who followed her onto the battlefield, the people of Y Ynys Bendigaid await their champion...

... And it's not who they expected.

370 pages, Paperback

First published October 31, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

S.M. Carrière

19 books56 followers
When S.M. Carrière isn't brutally killing your favourite characters, she spends her time teaching martial arts, live streaming video games, and cuddling her cats. In other words, she spends her time teaching others to kill, streaming her digital kills, and cuddling furry murderers.

Author bio helpfully provided by Éric Desmarais.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (18%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Eric Desmarais.
Author 8 books11 followers
December 13, 2013
Ethan Cadfael: The Battle Prince is the perfect otherworld novel, with enough twist and turns to keep an aficionado of the genre happy. I’d happily recommend this as a “gateway drug” to fantasy novels.

The author weaves convincing character arcs with mythology and wonderful storytelling.

I highly recommend getting this book and devouring it. It’ll leave a smile on your face.
Profile Image for Lynne Page.
Author 14 books7 followers
August 10, 2015
I'm having a hard time coming to terms with writing a review for this novel.

Perhaps we can start off with the good.

If you're looking for a good adventure novel, without the excess characters and plotlines that leave you with a headache and needing a character guide, then this book is definitely something for you. It is full of action, adventure, and fun.

Half of this book takes place in the real world, right smack in the middle of Ottawa, Ontario. So for someone who lives in Ottawa or simply loves Ottawa, this will definitely make you smile as you recognize places these characters go. The author makes lots of references to real life places, like the different campuses, the Montfort hospital, and various other places throughout town.

Her descriptions of the "Otherworld" are also very good. It sounds like a lovely world with only limited magic, so the story does not focus too much on the unbelievable. There is definitely magic in this books - how else did the mysterious girl cross over to our world? But she leaves the magic as something larger than the people and very subtle.

Her female lead is a strong character, and while she does need help from the male lead, she is often saving him as well, creating an equal dynamic between the two.

Overall, when it comes to the plot and story of this novel, I really liked it. It kept me intrigued all the way to the end.

However, this novel also comes with a few problems. For one, I found that there were enough spelling errors to warrant a second editor read-through. I also found that the author's own cultural influences had words like "torch" and "the tray of the truck" in the places where "flashlight" and "the bed of the truck" should be. I knew from the beginning that the author isn't originally from Canada though, so I did expect there might be some language differences.

I think the thing that bothered me the most was that every single male university student/male school age character from Ottawa continuously used the words "Dude" "Yo" and "Man". I'm not a university student today, and haven't been for some time, but I'm pretty sure these words are dated. I recall using them in high school, but they soon lost their appeal. But I don't think anyone uses those words in excess like these characters did.

Another issue I had was how the police handled the entire situation. I'm pretty sure that if the police came across a woman who couldn't speak English or French, their first approach would be to figure out what language she was actually speaking, rather than immediately assume she was speaking in a made-up language. Throughout the entire novel, the Ottawa Police Department seemed unprepared to actually do their jobs while university students were more prepared and intelligent enough to figure things out.

Aside from those issues, I really did enjoy this novel. It is more about the adventure than anything else. Even the idea of romance and love interests is but a small side note, and I really appreciated that. All too often fantasy novels let romance rule the entire story, and it was refreshing to be able to focus on the tasks at hand rather than the romantic feelings of the main characters.

It is obvious the author is knowledgeable in celtic studies and has a grasp on the languages she uses throughout the novel. It is also evident that she wrote something that really spoke to her. It will keep you moving along the entire time you read it.

I recommend this book to all those who love adventures.
2 reviews
August 26, 2016
Ethan Cadfael: The Battle Prince

What a joyous, fun read. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and couldn't have asked for a better light hearted romp through Ottawa. Before I go further I will divide my review into two parts. The critical review where I will look at the book from a critical perspective and the expected review where I will look at the book from what I was expecting to read.

Critical Review: From a critical standpoint this book is average. It has a bunch of plot holes and largely one dimensional characters. None of the characters really grow or change. There are no overarching moral quandary for the main characters to overcome and frankly I was cheering for the Fir Bolg because they seemed intelligent and cunning. The human characters are silly, bumbling and ultimately seem to win purely on luck.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

Expected Review: I went in with the expectation of a light, fun book that would be perfect for reading by the fire on a cool winter night. Sure the characters weren't as developed as some others but I wasn't looking that. I was looking for a really enjoyable story filled with action and magic and this book delivers in spades. From the opening pages of the book the pace is set and never slows down. You will be involved in a race through both a modern city and a distant land that will keep you turning pages. If you are like me you will be cheering for the Fir Bolg the entire time as they cunningly spin trap after trap winning fight after fight. I loved the book and as long as you are looking for a wild, fun romp you will love it too.

Score 4 out of 5

I can't wait to read the "Summer Bird."
Profile Image for Rob Olsen.
1 review1 follower
August 29, 2013
I reviewed this book for Geek Inked Magazine, here is the summary:

"This book was pretty much a best case scenerio, which is one of the qualities that made it a light, fun read. The only drawback to this is that it left me hungering for the story to go into more depth… but that is the classic drawback of every book that succeeds in the “light, fun read” category. It seems like you can’t have it both ways. All in all, it was a pleasant reading experience and I would definitely like to read the author’s next book."

You can read the entire review at: http://geekinked.com/?p=443

Profile Image for Rae Roy.
Author 2 books5 followers
April 21, 2016
Ethan Cadfael the Battle Prince gripped me early on. It is a wonderful tale blending modern day Ottawa with a fantastical other world filled with castles, knights, and warrior women. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey I went on while reading this book.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.