Start by marking “Beware the Fish! (MacDonald Hall, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beware the Fish! (MacDonald Hall, #3)

Beware the Fish!

(Macdonald Hall #3)

Macdonald High is having some serious cash flow problems. Everything is being cut back - evening snack is gone, the lab equipment is decrepit and the dorms are freezing at night. Worst of all, Bruno Walton and Boots O'Neal are being moved in with Elmer Drimsdale - the science geek. There's even talk of Macdonald Hall being put up for sale! Could this be the end of Canada's ...more
Published February 1st 1991 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Beware the Fish!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beware the Fish!

Manybooks
Of the three Gordon Korman MadDonald Hall boarding school stories that I read as a teenager, Beware the Fish! (the third novel) is the one I think have always enjoyed the most (and I actually still own my 1980 paperback copy that I bought from Scholastic at school, with this here very book cover, showing the explosion of the MadDonald Hall high jump pit in the background, after Miss Scrimmage's shotgun blast sets off Elmer's buried science experiments, his research equipment, chemicals and such) ...more
Gina
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, 4-star
This is what the last week at work has reduced me to. Hopefully my brain power will return soon, but until then, I really do love Boots and Bruno. Spending my lunch hour in the car reading YA is such a stress reliever. In college I used to sneak to the children's floor while studying in the library during finals week to read Junie B. Jones.

This isn't the best MacDonald Hall book, but really, who cares?
Jane
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was telling a friend about the MacDonald Hall series and specifically, how uproariously hilarious I found Beware the Fish!. She commented that it seems that the series is the perfect summer read and that's it, the MacDonald Hall is the perfect summer read, light-hearted, hassle-free fun.

I felt like the plot was better executed and the characters more developed. They didn't felt flat like sometimes they did in This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall and so I was more invested in the character
Enikő
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dec. 2014 - A very good book to read (especially just before going to bed, after having read another book, about the beheading of Lady Jane Grey). This story had me smiling and laughing. Even as an adult, I can appreciate the humour of Gordon Korman.

-------------------------------------
2008 - Giggles galore! I'm glad I reread this. Every bit as funny as when I first read it in grade school; I had forgotten some of the parts, so there were still plenty of surprises.
Wealhtheow
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
MacDonald Hall is in financial difficulties and might be sold. Bruno and Boots attempt various mad ways to get their school famous (inventing a cure for the common cold just gets their gym teacher drunk; spending all night collecting cans to create a pyramid for a world record) and to discourage potential buyers (including but not limited to creating the worst and noisiest school band ever). The real star of this book is Elmer, their weirdo scientific genius of a roommate.
Punk
Dec 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
YA. Financial woes may force Macdonald Hall to shut down for good! Bruno and Boots to the rescue, of course. This is my favorite B&B book so far. I love The Fish broadcasts and Elmer being a science hero/rock star. And the stuff with the RCMP had me looking around for Turnbull from Due South, even though this book was written a solid decade before DS's time.
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
I don't know whether I want to reread this series or not, if only because I'm worried that rereading them as an adult will tarnish my memory of them.

I read these when I was still in elementary school and loved them. Highly recommend, they are stories of friendship and fun and are completely hilarious.
Eavan
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the first MacDonald Hall book I ever read. I was... I dunno, 7? And it gave me so much joy. And even more joy when I learned it was only one of an entire series. It still makes me laugh, 20 years later.
Susan
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great Bruno & Boots book! Not my very favourite, but the boys and I always love these books! Looking forward to continuing the series.
Katie Fitzgerald
Canadian children's author Gordon Korman has had a long career as the prolific writer of humorous, exciting, and easy-to-read novels geared toward grades 4 to 9. He started writing at age 12, when he wrote This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! for a seventh grade English class. Over the course of nearly 20 years after the publication of this first MacDonald Hall book, Korman published a total of 7 titles about the boarding school exploits of best friends Bruno and Boots.This month, I read t ...more
Nick Fagerlund
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: old-faves
Another of those Korman books I was on about. This one is from 1980, and it is riotously funny. A boarding school is running out of money, and its most infamous pair of students start scheming to save it. They also start accidentally terrorizing the countryside with televised warnings about “Operation Popcan” and “Operation Flying Fish.” Hijinks ensue, as do the Mounties. Props to a book that both 9-year-old Nick and 26-year-old Nick can laugh at.

Oh, but someone really should have fumigated this
Julia
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any human
This review covers all the books in this hilarious Bruno and Boots series.

I would rate this 10 stars if I could! These were my favorite books when I was growing up. I don't remember many details about them, but I remember absolutely loving reading them. My favorite kind of book to read when I was out of super kiddy books was biographies, but this was my almost-tween favorite book series. I really remember this series as the one that solidified my love of reading.

I think that would be so cool if
Lana Brown
Okay, listen carefully. Gordon Korman started writing when he was a wee tyke -- 12 or 13, but don't hate him because he's talented. What you need to know is, the books he's writing now are NOT what to read. Back when, he wrote a whole series of boarding school books referred to as the "Bruno and Boots" books, of which Beware the Fish is one. He also wrote several stand-alone novels such as Son of Interflux and Don't Care High, which are slyly humorous and inventive and charming to read. These ol ...more
J. Boo
Oct 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: misspent-youf
Read in either elementary school or junior high. I'd been trying to figure out the name of this for years before someone's passing reference clued me in.
Andrew Georgy-Embree
NAME: Keagan
TITLE OF MY BOOK: MACDONALD HALL beware the Fish
AUTHOR: Gordon Korman
PUPLISHER: Scholastic Canada Ltd.
DATE: 2003
Total Number of pages: 176

SETTING
Beware the Fish takes place in Canada at a private school for boys

CHARACTERS
The main characters are Bruno and Boots. The characters are believable. I liked Bruno the most because he is like me. I relate to this book because I get in trouble too.

PLOT
The problem in Macdonald Hall is that the school cannot afford to keep Macdonald Hall up as
Isis
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, ya
A lot of fun, but I think the gimmick of these books has worn off for me.
Sarah Thornton
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh Mr Sturgeon.
Jacob Heiner
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very funny. This is another one that I will read to my children.
LobsterQuadrille
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody, whether they've read the other books or not!
maybe 4.5 stars...

This isn't my personal favorite of the B&B series, but I still loved revisiting it! The characters feel like old friends(and in a way I suppose they are), and reading about them and their outlandish misadventures never fails to make me smile. Beware the Fish! is a fun comedy of errors(and huge misunderstandings) that centers around the attempts by the students of Macdonald Hall(with some help from the girls of Miss Scrimmage's Finishing School) to save their beloved schoo
Kaylee
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I found it hilarious how seriously the authorities were taking the mystery, when TV programs got interrupted by ominous-sounding messages about "The Fish". And how the federal agent convinces himself and his agency that it's some big criminal mastermind, and gets himself into all kinds of trouble without any help from an antagonist. Meanwhile, the boys don't even realize they're broadcasting. Still very funny, even after all these years! :)
Jacob
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
All (good) Korman is escapist and highly unrealistic. That's a part of his charm. Of his early material, Beware the Fish might be his most impossible story--enough so that it is hard to fully immerse in. However, the character interactions are still strong, particularly those between Headmaster Sturgeon and Miss Scrimmage.

Entertaining and amusing and only a couple of notches below his better works.
Karen
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book, one I should look up again. Loved the great scams this pair ran on their hapless school principal. It was so funny that just thinking about it now is enough to send me off into the giggles. Great for boys especially but I loved it, too. I listened in as it was being read to my brother.
Sharkie
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read any of the MacDonald Hall books... A looong time.
That time did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of it.
Even being 18, I love it. A trip down memory lane; nostalgia, those probably played a role in me loving it, but it's a great book, an even great series, and I'm going to go force every little kid I know to read it.
preoccu
Oct 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who love to laugh
Bruno and Boots dig themselves into a hole so deep that it takes a whole series of deus ex machinae to redeem them at the end. In the meantime, a host of amusing characters run amok, my favorite being the school nerd with his Wes Anderson-like room full of science contraptions (fish tank, ant farm).
Lea
This is one of my absolute favorite Bruno & Boots books. It's especially funny because it has outside forces at work and a serious case of mistaken identity! If you want a book to make you laugh out loud, this is it. And the great thing about the Bruno & Boots books is that you don't have to read them in any order, so this is as good a book as any to start the series with.
Emily
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read from Gordon Korman and I must say it inspired me to continue reading his other books. Gordon Korman is an amazing author and I have loved every one of his children's books. They are truly for all ages and will have you laughing through the entire read, no matter your age.
Kris
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but I had the Bruno and Boots series and this was one of my favorites. I always thought if I went to boarding school, I wanted to go to MacDonald Hall. This story just makes me laugh thinking of it.

The boys have to go to some down right drastic measures in order to fix things and they all end with some outright hilarious results.
Kari
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1980-to-1990-ad
A relative sent this from Canada when I was about 12 and it was perfect! I see it's out of print, so more reason not to let the younger siblings do anything to it. My brother managed to find one about a teen movie star at the library a few years later. Maybe I should find the rest.
Candice
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fluff, kidlit
Ok, so this is a totally silly book to review, but I love this book! I actually just picked it up randomly not too long ago and found it just as outrageously funny as I had when I was 12. It is hilarious and quite well-written for goofy teen lit.
Annalee
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadultlit
It's a shame that the Bruno and Boots series went out of print. I LOVED these books as a kid. They follow the misadventures of a pair of Canadian boys attending a private boarding school. I must have read this one at least 10 times as a kid!
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • Green
  • Soup & Me
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • The Great Brain Does it Again (The Great Brain, #7)
  • Airball: My Life in Briefs
  • Henry Reed's Journey
  • Jelly Belly
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • 101 Ways to Bug Your Parents
  • The Darkness Dwellers (Kiki Strike, #3)
  • The Hidden World
  • Owls in the Family
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • The Golden Road (The Story Girl #2)
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i

Macdonald Hall (7 books)
  • This Can't Be Happening at Macdonald Hall! (Macdonald Hall, #1)
  • Go Jump in the Pool! (Macdonald Hall, #2)
  • The War with Mr. Wizzle (Macdonald Hall, #4)
  • The Zucchini Warriors (Macdonald Hall, #5)
  • Macdonald Hall Goes Hollywood (Macdonald Hall, #6)
  • Something Fishy at Macdonald Hall (Macdonald Hall, #7)