Start by marking “Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)

Lair of Dreams

(The Diviners #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  21,907 ratings  ·  3,929 reviews
The longing of dreams draws the dead, and this city holds many dreams.

After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O’Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. With her uncanny ability to read people’s secrets, she’s become a media darling, earning the title “America’s Sweetheart Seer.” Everyone’s in love with the city’s newest It Girl…everyone except the other Divi
Published August 25th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lair of Dreams, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sarah DeBouter This was the most amazing thing ever! I want to know who Rao is! And clearly this must be insinuating that Gemma must actually be a diviner! Could the…moreThis was the most amazing thing ever! I want to know who Rao is! And clearly this must be insinuating that Gemma must actually be a diviner! Could the garden all be a part of the dream world? AH!(less)
Dalton Gamroth There are supposed to be 4 in total, Libba Bray has said. But from the looks of it, we'll probably all be dead by the time book four is released haha!…moreThere are supposed to be 4 in total, Libba Bray has said. But from the looks of it, we'll probably all be dead by the time book four is released haha! (less)

·  21,907 ratings  ·  3,929 reviews

Start your review of Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2)
Emma Giordano
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5 STARS. AMAZING. FANTASTIC. WONDROUS. WOW.

Here's a quick list of reasons you are sleeping on The Diviners series:
-Black mc
-Irish-Chinese, disabled, asexual mc interested in women (last two pieces of info are revealed in book 3)
-Gay mc
-Jewish mc
-1920's New York City setting
-Ghosts, supernatural abilities, murder mysteries
-Extremely lovable, well developed characters

I'm continually more and more blown away by The Diviners series. It's very rare that I enjoy a sequel more than the first installmen
Emily May
Opening sentences: Every city is a ghost. New buildings rise upon the bones of the old so that each shiny steel beam, each tower of brick carries within it the memories of what has gone before, an architectural haunting.

Back in 2012, I fell in love with The Diviners. I know and understand why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but, for me, it offered a whirlwind blend of genres - historical, supernatural, horror, humour, romance - and balanced them all perfectly. It became an instant favourite.

Is L
chai ♡
I Bought The Sequel Immediately After Finishing The First Book But Never Got Around To Reading It: A 5-part documentary starring me.
Melanie

1.) The Diviners ★★★★

People who could have my damn whole life: Ling & Henry

#DivinersReadalong Liveshow:
Sep 13th: 9PM EST / 6PM PST
@Madalyn's channel

➽ Trigger warnings: death, death of a loved one, racism, homophobia.
(Thank you so much again to K's amazing review!)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Buddy read with Madalyn, Jane, & Chelsea! ❤

Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I'm leaning somewhere between 3.75-4 stars for this one.
It was a long audiobook, but once again the narrator was perfection! I loved the new characters we meet, and the old ones we get to learn more about as well.
I did feel like the first half was a bit slow at times, things didn't pick up until later on in the story, but when it did- WOW!
Wendy Darling
What on earth happened to the covers for this series? Now it looks like any other stereotypical cookie-cutter thriller, which DIVINERS decidedly was NOT.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 9/7/19: This was my first re-read post Before the Devil Breaks you and I would once again like to note that Libba Bray is a fucking MASTER foreshadower and I am shook to my core over it. If you haven't read this series- READ THIS SERIES RIGHT NOW. I still just die over Evie and Sam and Henry and Memphis and Ling and it's just so damn good. I feel like every time I read one of her books I have a new appreciation for different characters or different parts of the story and this re-read was ...more
Elle (TheBookishActress)
“Every city is a ghost.”
Wow, okay, so this was EVEN BETTER than book one. See, a lot of reviews have said that this book is slower than book one. But I think this book is simply an expansion on book one - a slower one, but one where I connected to the characters a crapton. It took this long for the themes to really come to the surface, but guys, this book is way thematically stronger. Lair of Dreams is a book about identity masking itself as paranormal historical fiction. And it's brilliant.
Nat
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“We are made by what we are asked to bear, Ling Chan,” he’d said.

This review contains *spoilers*.

I was really hesitant about wanting to pick up Lair of Dreams because of the new cast of characters. But, wow, I definitely needn’t have worried.
A lot of the characters were right up my alley, particularly one named Ling Chan. She was snarky, witty, and everything I needed to keep flipping page after page.
In my review for The Diviners, I wrote that I wanted to visit the girl with the green eyes in th
Brigid ✩
Short Review:

Might be more of a 4.5 stars ... I don't know if I loved it quite as much as the first book. There were a few little things that irked me and I felt it was a little slow in parts. But otherwise, I really enjoyed it and it was worth the wait! Very scary, intense and creative, and I love the characters. Can't wait for the next book in the series--although I assume I will have to wait a long time. :P

Full Review:

Coming eventually!

-----------

Pre-release Ranting:

Expected publication: Mar
Elaine
Update - 10/04/14

2015. YEAR TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN?!?!

WAIT. Did this just get pushed back to AUGUST?!?!
WHY.

Update - 07/09/13

THAT COVER. WHY THIS UGLYASS COVER.
I'm sorry Libba Bray, I love you and your amazing books but this cover... My heart can't take it.

Update - 11/08/13

So I was finally over my feels for this book (temporarily of course) being all chill and like, the second book will come out when it does, when SUDDENLY, I see that we have a title AND a synopsis! The title is kinda cool and prob
Trina (Between Chapters)
Reread in 2020: It was painful to see how much this mirrors current world events. The roaring 20s are really back, huh?

Original 2016 review:
*insert unintelligible noises of anguish here*

I don't even know what to say other than I loved this so much! I wish it wasn't over!

Would have loved more Jericho in this book, but it's okay since we got to know Henry so much better. I really loved Henry and Ling's storyline.

I did predict a couple of twists from the start, but me guessing the ending is never s
Faye, la Patata

This was literally my face when I finally finished this gigantic, monster of a book. It was like the clouds finally parted and the divine rays of the heavens showered upon me for I have seen the light. The light being Libba Bray's amazing prowess, that is. There is no other reason why this happened except for one thing: that Bray's writing is legit god-level, and is therefore, heaven-sent.

I'm at that point where I would love to be this author's apprentice. I'd do her laundry, brew her coffee, do
Whitney Atkinson
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I continue to adore this series! These are such highly recommended audiobooks, and I cannot agree more. Although they each last around 20 hours, it flies by and feels like you're watching a movie. All the characters have their own voices and turmoils and backstories, and it's such a masterfully done character study while also dealing with paranormal issues and plot.

There's some characters who I care about more than others, such as the fact that I love Memphis but I think Isaiah and Bil
Cristina Monica
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
This series is for those who have a lot lot
LOT
of patience.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I loved The Diviners, it was one of my favourite books of 2014 but this just did not do it for me and I have to say I'm very disappointed. Nothing happened until the last 100 pages which for a 600 page book is just not okay. I'll do a video review and go more into my thoughts later but for now, I'm just kind of let down.
✨    jamieson   ✨
With her smudged eyes and her dainty red Cupid’s bow lips, she reminded Sam of a sparkling party favor on the cusp of New Year’s. “Evie,” he said, taking gentle hold of her hand. “The party can’t go on forever.”

Evie looked up at Sam, defiant but slightly pleading, too. Her voice was nearly a whisper. “Why not?”

i am absolutely, positutely in love with this series I have The Diviners a glowing five star review, so if you want to know more about the series overall you should read that as THIS
monica kim
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
The writing was so rich and vibrant; I just adore Libba Bray's voice. What I love about this series is that it's so layered - there are so many characters and plots and subplots, but it's all intertwined somehow. Unwinding this story is seriously a magical experience. I can't even imagine where the story goes from here, but I can't wait to find out.

Still not over the awful cover change.
Wren (fablesandwren)
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

I recommend people to read this book after you've read a few other things between Diviners. It has a different feel than its predecessor, but it is still just as wonderful and deliciously creepy as The Diviners was. I'm not going to give much away, but you are dealing with another type of spirit in a way in this book. I'm going to go by character again since there is so many!

PS: Listen to this! January LaVoy is literally my favorite narrator in the world's entirety. Please, oh
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
After years of waiting, the second Diviners book is finally here. Seriously, I got an ARC of The Diviners at my FIRST BEA, and I got Lair of Dreams at my fourth. Normally, I’d be really frustrated about how long it took for the books to come out, but I’ve pretty much resigned myself to this series finishing in about 2022. I mean, I can’t blame Bray at all because these books are BEASTS. Lair of Dreams is every bit as intricate and lovely as The Diviners.

Like The Diviners, Lair of Dreams is slow.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
4.5 STARS
Listening to this on audiobook, 4 years later made me appreciate this installment in the series so much more than I did when I first initially read it. This book takes its time exploring every characters’ Diviners powers, their past, and how their uniqueness or marginality sets them apart from the crystalline world of the 1920s where everyone seemingly seems happiest. It highlights the darker sides of American history to shed light on times where people’s fears towards cultures and pe
Melinda
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Everybody, READ this series right now, before the final book comes out!🤗
This story is just getting more and more awesome!!!
It’s historical and creepy, funny and so clever!
Gives me a bit of Twin Peaks vibes sometimes...
With so much background research, that it makes me Google the sh*t out of it while I’m reading the book.
ALL the characters are so well written, and there are just so many things happening, and I just wanna read more and more about them, ahhhh... this is really the elephant’s eyebr
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Review posted at www.fantasyliterature.com:

"To believe in one's dreams is to spend all of one's life asleep." -- Chinese proverb

"Every city is a ghost." -- Opening line of this book

Dreams become traps and deadly nightmares in Lair of Dreams, the second installation in Libba Bray’s DIVINERS fantasy horror series. In 1927, a crew of men is opening up an old walled-off tunnel underneath the streets of New York City in order to build a new subway tunnel.

description
Look at this Wikipedia photo of an old NYC s
Aly (In Wonderland)
OUT NOW.

They fall into their beds, the dirt of the city still caked under their ragged nails. They’re too tired for bathing, but they’re not too tired for dreams. For dreams, too, are ghosts, desires chased in sleep, gone by morning. The longing of dreams draws the dead, and this city holds many dreams.
The men dream of the music box and its song, a relic from a time long ago.
“Beautiful dreamer, wake unto me / Starlight and dewdrops are waiting for thee…”

Lair of Dreams starts with a
✨    jamieson   ✨
REREAD JAN 2020: Original review

some points
- in my original review, I say I liked this less than The Diviners, but on reread I liked it more
- EVIE O'NEILL
- Evie being drunk for like the entire showdown at the end #iconic #queen I love her so fucking much
- Sam Lloyd UWU
- Sam and Evie's fake romance easily the best part of this book
- NEEDED MORE MEMPHIS
- sorry to Henry but I find him ... not that funny? He's still my boy tho
- Mabel is so annoying lmao
- despise Jericho Jones
- the subplot about the
Clem (the villain's quest)
"For, what we do not study and reflect upon, we are in danger of dismissing and forgetting. What we forget, we are often doomed to repeat. Our ghosts, it seems, are always with us, whispering that attention must be paid.”

Instagram | youtube

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ shook stars

description

Lair of Dreams is the direct sequel to The Diviners, a paranormal series that follows a diverse set of characters in the post-first world-war era, in New York City. The first book follows these characters as they meet and joins forces in
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
“For dreams, too, are ghosts, desires chased in sleep, gone by morning. The longing of dreams draws the dead, and this city holds many dreams.”

WARNING: This review contains a few spoilers to The Diviners.

Once you get hooked by this series, it is very difficult to move on. It’s like my brain and my heart got stuck in the 1920s with the fictional people in this book. It has all the ingredients to catch your attention. The characters are fun and lovable, the mystery is very curious, the
Ginger
Mar 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-book, 2020
DNF at 180 pages.

I’m obviously in the minority with my review but I’m really struggling to pick this book up.

I just can't get into Lair of Dreams. It could be that the span between when I read this book and The Diviners has been too long.
By the way, I liked The Diviners so I really wanted to give this book and series a shot!

But I read the first book over 6 years ago.

This could be one of those warnings to fellow readers that you shouldn't wait too long to read books in a series!

I couldn't remembe
Ferdy
Spoilers

So boring. I enjoyed the first book but this one really didn't work for me. The story, characters, and relationships all fell flat.

-The plot dragged and dragged, I was waiting for something exciting to happen but nothing did. The main baddie/problem was some kind of sleeping sickness caused by ghosts that were greedy for dreams - it just wasn't interesting. At least the serial killer ghost in the first book was somewhat creepy and gave things a mysterious and dark edge, unlike the ghost
Andrea
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone

Okay so I was really worried about this book. I make no secret of my love for the first. How can I? It was part historical, part romance, part paranormal, and it was just so fucking creepy. Naughty John? Yeah, he was terrifying.

So yeah, I was really scared to read this book. Would it be a letdown, considering how amazing the first one was? Well, I am extremely pleased to say that this book was the berries. (I actually really love the 1920s slang.)

In Lair of Dreams Evie has oute

• The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Radio Silence
  • Clap When You Land
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Felix Ever After
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children, #4)
  • Sadie
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
What is it about writing an author bio that gives me that deer-in-headlights feeling? It's not exactly like I'm going to say "I was born in Alabama…" and somebody's going to jump up and snarl, "Oh yeah? Prove it!" At least I hope not.

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.

The Diviners (4 books)
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Before the Devil Breaks You (The Diviners, #3)
  • The King of Crows (The Diviners, #4)