Start by marking “La spada della verità Vol. 8” as Want to Read:
La spada della verità Vol. 8

La spada della verità Vol. 8 (Sword of Truth #8)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  44,205 Ratings  ·  606 Reviews
Richard Rahl è stato avvelenato. Il prezzo da pagare per ottenere l’antidoto è salvare dalla distruzione il misterioso regno di Bandakar. Sigillata tra impervie montagne da un antico incantesimo, questa terra è abitata da persone completamente prive del dono, la cui sola esistenza rischia di stravolgere l’assetto del mondo.
Ma la Madre Depositaria ha involontariamente causa
Published June 1st 2008 by Fanucci

Stephen
Anatomy of a Break-up:

Going through a break-up or a divorce is never easy. The best of them are tinged with sadness and regret while the worst feel like a grenade going off in your chest. Worse still is the ending of a relationship that has lasted for many years and survived through adversity.

Well after almost 15 years, my relationship with the Sword of Truth series is over.

Given that these situations are already emotionally charged, I know the “right” thing to do is just to walk away and say
Igor Ljubuncic
Mandatory music for this review: Zamfir, Lonely Shepherd.

I'm going through my book shelf, and I see a few more SoT books need my attention.

Naked Empire should be re-titled A Man and a Goat.

This book continues the breathtaking suspense from the seventh volume ... nah, just kidding.

What we have here is as follows:

Richard acquaints himself with a goat and not in a good way.
He's brought democracy to the Old World, so he feels he should vacation some.
He takes his troupe on a walkabout, and stumbles u
Robyn
Mar 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
While I had hoped the decline begun in the previous book would be checked in this one, it continues on it's disastrous course. The ongoing villain is barely addressed, the introduced villain is a mere toady, who is not really threatening at all at any point, and the new characters are simply cardboard cut outs, devoid of anything entertaining or interesting.

Faith of the Fallen was a good book, and it's philosophy is an interesting one, good to discuss, even though I don't personally buy it. I wa
Lara Amber
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was practically one long Richard is right, everyone else is wrong storyline. Goodkind seriously needs to stop writing that kind of nonsense. His sister went from a very interesting main character to a sidekick.

While portions of the storyline was still interesting, Goodkind needs to start providing secondary titles to his books so you know which agenda he's going to pound this time. This one could have been titled: Naked Empire, or Why Pacifists are Evil.

I get tired when his agenda kee
Jessica
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who read 1-7
Recommended to Jessica by: Anthony
What Pillars of Creation made me question, Naked Empire confirms. Terry's writing is getting annoying. If you have plowed through the series thus far as I am and up to this one, get ready to recap everything over and over... We learn once or twice again how Richard came to be where and what he is now.. how he came to his beliefs... and on.. and on...

The best is when Terry's feeling especially recaperrific... imagine if you will:

Kahlan's about to use her confessor power AND SUDDENLY! It reminds
Gabriel C.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
It never made sense to me that any of these books were written before 9/11. I didn't check the one before this but even if it was published in early 2002, it was probably written in the first half of 2001. So I'll just make the assumption that this was the first post-9/11 book in this series. It really goes a long way toward explaining all of the rigid, dogmatic, so-stupid-its-stultifying attempts at the crudest parody of moral philosophy. It goes toward the idea explaining murdering (misguided) ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Goodkind is finding his stride in lecturing us on the failings of our own ideals here (if that is they don't agree with his) funny I thought I was reading an epic fantasy.... give it 1.5 instead of 2 stars.

Look hard you might find a story between the diatribes.
Eric Allen
Sep 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to do what I did with Pillars of Creation for this review. This book makes me too angry to sit down and calmly write out my thoughts on why it is so absolutely terrible, and insulting to the intelligence of anyone who reads it. I just cannot even with this book. I posted my notes below, if you want to read my thoughts as I read through the book, in lieu of writing out an actual review. I tend to use more profanity in my notes, and less professional language, grammar, and punctuation th ...more
Penelope
Dec 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fanstay fiction, Ayn Rand fans
Wow! Terry Goodkind, if he truly is the author, seems to have gone off the deep end here. I had a strong love/hate, emphasis on the hate side with this book. I was driven on by the plot but really, really hated the philosophy that Goodkind espoused in this book.
What a long way Richard has come from the lowly but noble woodsguide who seemed to cry at least every other chapter of "Wizard's First Rule." Goodkind has twisted his own characters almost out of recognition.
In this book Richard almost lo
Susan
May 29, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read the rest of Terry Goodkind's books a few years ago, and wasn't sure that I could just jump back into the series, but I had no trouble picking up where he left off. I remember when I was reading the rest of the books one after the other, that it bothered me a bit that he would keep reminding the reader what had happened in previous books, thinking to myself, "well, I just read it, get on with the story!" But now I appreciated those little tidbits about previous story lines! I always love a ...more
Ross
Dec 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Norman
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a series that makes you fall in love with the characters and sitting at the edge of your seat with anticipation of what is coming next, you want the Sword of Truth series. Naked Empire is the eighth book of the series. For a book full of action the tiny bit of romance doesn't ruin the story and make it cheesy. The love between the two main characters gets them into more trouble and drags the story farther along. When the main character Richard gets sick they must do what t ...more
David Robins
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book the best for the process Goodkind describes in leading an extremely ignorant and evil (and thus vulnerable) group from "We need you [Richard] to save us" to thinking for themselves, recognizing value and individual liberty, and defending themselves. That's a difficult process, and one worth examining in detail to similarly educate people in our world. And also it gives the "no meat" taboo the heave-ho (after belief in it causes its share of trouble), which I always thought a bit ...more
Sora
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-year-2014
I've started reading the series and now I can't stop reading. I liked this book better than the last one. By the end of it, I couldn't put it down! I would say way better than the Pillars of Creation, but not as good as Faith of the Fallen. But, still one of my favs. I hope the next book isn't too tragic.
Jul 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you want an author to tell you in no uncertain terms what is right and what is wrong, then this book is for you.
Savannah
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I literally just finished this book 10 minutes ago.

Where shall I start?
Maybe by saying... I LOVED this book!
But let's get a bit critical first...

It being the first novel where we get to see Richard's major character changes in action igsince his inner struggles in Faith Of The Fallen... I must start off by saying that I was annoyed with Richard for the first half of the book.
It seemed to me that his first 'speeches' to Jennsen and Owen in the beginning were condescending and belittling. I unders
Darkphoenix
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update (1st March):
At long last, it is finally over. Naked Empire was fine but the fact that I had to stop reading it in the middle for about a week, certainly did not do it any favours. Once I restarted it, it took me ages to get back into the story and even then I spent more time reading about the book than actually read the book itself. I had thought about taking a break from the series but with just 3 more books to go, I think I'll stick around to finish it.

There were parts in the Naked Emp
Corfy
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
This book is great, because the warrior is very smart and cunning, I would like be like him.
Maria Elmvang
I read the first 6 books of the Sword in Truth series years ago and LOVED them. Especially the first three are some of my all-time favourite books. Then I read Pillars of Creation... Terry Goodkind really dropped the ball there. I missed Kahlan and Richard as the main protagonists and it just didn't work for me, so I never got around to reading the rest of the series.

Now that they're all out, I figured it was time to finish up - I owed it to the first books ;)

And with Naked Empire Goodkind got b
Amber
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Goodkind is a superb author, and in my opinion, his "Sword of Truth" series is the best I have ever read. So good, in fact, that I have read the entire series three times in a row, back to back, non-stop. This series is *not* for children. The series covers many aspects of the dark side of humanity, in great detail, as the heroes try to overcome the evils in the world. Goodkind is not afraid to show his readers just what evil *really* is, that is, most often, people who perform acts of evi ...more
Jen
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't help but feel frustrated as I read further and further into this book. The plot was interesting, but the overall theme of "Richard is right and you are an idiot" became quite tiresome. I felt like I was reading the same thing again and again, and though I'm aware that's one of Goodkind's known characteristics, it became almost unbearable in this story. I found myself skipping over or only briefly skimming large paragraphs in the last 300 pages.

Also, if I never have to read again about
Andrea Fife
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's something so wonderful about a plot so complex it truly needs 700 pages to work itself out. I appreciate that when reading Goodkind's novels I not only learn the history, culture, and customs of the main characters but also of each character whose path crosses that of Richard and Kahlan. Perhaps I won't wait 2 years to read the next book!
Brad Bishop
The end became very preachy on anti-pacifism, which got old really fast.
Antonio Rosato
"Ci sono momenti in cui l'unica scelta è agire immediatamente, ma anche allora bisogna usare la ragione, ricorrendo all'esperienza e a tutto ciò che si sa".
Questo ottavo volume, che inizia nel punto esatto in cui finisce il settimo, è molto più crudo e violento dei precedenti... e forse è anche per questo se mi è sembrato un tantino migliore!
Tutto il libro ruota attorno alle vicende del popolo del Bandakar che, millenni prima, venne esiliato dal D'Hara perché immune alla magia. Da allora, i band
Lindsey Roberts
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naked Empire is the next in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I feel like I am running out of ways to praise this series. I can’t remember if there has ever been one where I have been so impatient for the next book every single time I have finished one and am just grateful that I have joined the library here so I can have access to them.

Naked Empire sees Richard and Kahlan journeying further into the Old World, not through a matter of choice but through one of necessity. Not only is R
Shelly
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only gave this one three stars, mostly because of how many pages there were devoted to Richard explaining over and over why the Bandakar way of thinking was erroneous and the Bandakar arguing with him on why it was not before suddenly, almost simplistically deciding to agree with him.

I have to say I was also a teensy bit let down that the solution to Richard's magic out of balance problem was simply a matter of believing in himself, in being the Seeker, and in fighting against Jagang and the Imp
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Really a 3.5)

After the long, hard slog that was The Pillars of Creation, I started enjoying the series again with this one. I am torn because what Goodkind does well, he does very, very well--romance, action, and (usually) plot. But then he falls into the proselytizing hole, and we endure pages upon pages of Richard explaining the right to life and freedom (over...and over...and over again), just as he did in Faith of the Fallen, but to a different false ideology this time. First it was collect
Sara Stoltz
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a series review: I've seen a lot of negative posts, because the author pours his beliefs into his writings. I can understand how that can be annoying. It's probably similar to how I feel when I watch the news or most talk shows. Everything is liberal, and, if it's not, it's closed-minded.
Terry Goodkind has pointed out some very real truths that we can relate to, if our eyes are open. Those truths are effortlessly encased in novels that are hard to put down. I have been reading t
Colleen Earle
Patrick Bauer
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naked Empire is very much part 2 of The Pillars of Creation. While all the Sword of Truth series has little to no time between books and the series is essentially a single story, Naked Empire gives the biggest sense of time laps between any other book. Since Pillars of Creation focused on Jensen's story we do have a laps of events for Richard and Kahlan. Now that their paths have crossed with Jensen the story converges to a more traditional Goodkind book.

For this book Richard is trapped between
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Naked Empire [Aug 26, 2018] 2 5 Jan 29, 2018 07:18PM
Bandakar see no evil? 3 34 May 28, 2014 05:55PM
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
  • Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)
  • Paths of Darkness Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Paths of Darkness, #1-4)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • Ordermaster (The Saga of Recluce, #13)
  • Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, #3)
  • The Vacant Throne (Band of Four, #2)
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more th ...more
More about Terry Goodkind

Sword of Truth (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2)
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives,
then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls.
You think their ways are wrong.
They think you are dinner.”
96 likes
“People use democracy as a free-floating abstraction disconnected from reality. Democracy in and of itself is not necessarily good. Gang rape, after all, is democracy in action.

All men have the right to live their own life. Democracy must be rooted in a rational philosophy that first and foremost recognizes the right of an individual. A few million Imperial Order men screaming for the lives of a much smaller number of people in the New World may win a democratic vote, but it does not give them the right to those lives, or make their calls for such killing right.

Democracy is not a synonym for justice or for freedom. Democracy is not a sacred right sanctifying mob rule. Democracy is a principle that is subordinate to the inalienable rights of the individual.”
68 likes