Start by marking “The Bone Knife” as Want to Read:
The Bone Knife

The Bone Knife (The Theft of Sunlight 0.5)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,043 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
Rae knows how to look out for family. Born with a deformed foot, she feigns indifference to the pity and insults that come her way. Wary of all things beautiful, Rae instantly distrusts their latest visitor: an appallingly attractive faerie. Further, his presence imperils the secret her sister guards. But when the local townspeople show up demanding his blood, Rae must fin ...more
Published October 22nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Knife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone Knife

Elisabeth Wheatley
In case you didn't know, I bloody ADORE Ms. Khanani's other book, THORN (the Grimm tale of THE GOOSE GIRL with a middle-eastern influence and a swoon-worthy prince). THE BONE KNIFE introduces Rae, the heroine of the companion trilogy to THORN.

Since it is a short story, I can say a whole lot without being spoiler-ific, but I will say that Rae was a very compelling and sympathetic character and I particularly liked the way the relationship between her and her sisters was portrayed.

I will be watc
TL
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“We’ve a visitor,” Niya says as I enter from the kitchen yard. She kneels before the low work table at the center of the room, punching down the morning’s dough, her arms daubed with flour and her hair wisping out of her braid. “I heard Baba answer the door a moment ago.”   “I know. He’s trouble.” I cross the kitchen, debating how to handle the sort of trouble he is. With our mother gone to town, and our father already busy with him, it falls to me as the eldest of my sisters to figure out what ...more
Lynxie
Well, Intisar delivers another great short story.

The Bone Knife hints at a much larger story, one that I am extremely keen to find out more about. The loving, supportive family unit Rae (our protagonist) is brought up in, is a delightful change to the broken homes a lot of new fictional characters are emerging from.

The two sisters are sweet and yet amusingly realistic in their taunting and teasing, but also their actions speak louder than words.

When an 'appallingly attractive faerie' arrives
Ella Zegarra
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Original de: El Extraño Gato del Cuento

Terminé de leer Thorn y estaba segura que tendría una secuela. Para descubrir inmediatamente que estaba un 80% equivocada.

Thorn era un libro autoconclusivo, pero ¿Qué pasaba con todos los cabos sueltos que dejó la escritora? ¿A dónde iban las personas que desaparecían? La escritora dice en un Q&A que Alyrra no podría ir personalmente a investigar lo que pasaba en la ciudad, por como terminar Thorn, es casi imposible que ella misma lo haga ¿Por qué? Tien
Athena
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA, Adult, Fantasy-readers, women's lit
Before taking a novel-length commitment to a new-to-me author I tried this terrific little short story by Intisar Khanani, a young writer with a solid talent for world-building and believable characters. I'm so glad I did!

From the perspective of the oldest of 3 sisters a visitor comes to buy their father's horses, and mercifully unlike far too many works of fantasy *both* parents are alive and active presences here. Points to Khanani for that alone - the solo parent trope has becoming exceeding
Lucia
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Después de leer Thorn descubrí que existía esta historia corta que transcurre en el mismo mundo, y entiendo que la protagonista va a aparecer en una futura novela, A Darkness at the Door.
Me gustó cómo The Bone Knife expande el universo que ya conocimos en Thorn y explora otros aspectos de la magia de ese mundo, que hasta ahora apenas conocimos al pasar. Me dió la sensación de que algunas cosas que en Thorn quedaron sin explicar probablemente las conozcamos en profundidad en la futura saga.
Es el
Althea Ann
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice short story, which puts an interesting twist on some familiar fantasy themes, and leaves the reader with some food for thought.

In a family with three sisters, there's the magical one, the pretty one... and Rae is the one who's plain, and club-footed, to boot.

When a faerie lord comes to do business with her father, a mob of intolerant villagers threatens them all (fear and prejudice against magic is rife, in this land).

Rae is the one who steps up to risk herself for everyone else's safety. T
Megan
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I continue to love this short novella throughout my reading of many young adult novels and always find myself coming back to it! I can't wait for Intisar's plans for hopefully turning this into a full book and allowing myself to love it even more!

As for my hopes, I reeeaallly want Rae to maybe have a teeny romance with the "appallingly attractive faerie" in this short story. And by teeny, I mean I NEED it to happen!

One thing's for sure: I'll be first in line to pick up the full novel if it's t
Lisa
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful read

I give this 5 stars for being an intriguing story with a very strong main character. The story shows that kindness is a rare quality posessed by the main character. She is also strong and smart. Maybe she wishes she were different but she is amazing just the way she is. I hope to read many more stories about this particular character. And I can't wait to share these stories with my granddaughter when she's old enough.
Polly Clarke
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love discovering new authors that 'click' with me. You may suppose that a free story might be of an average standard but Intisar has something quite special to offer us. A tempting taster and I'm very much looking forward to reading more of her work. One to watch!
Saruuh Kelsey
This is so damn good. I'm dying to get my hands on the trilogy with the same character. In a short number of pages this book has atmosphere, grandeur, resonating characters, enticing fae, and awesome sibling relationships.
Patricia
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for book 1
Alison
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Argh!!! This just stopped. I know it's a short story but so frustrating when you're just getting into it and it ends. There's too much unanswered so I'm feeling decidedly unsatisfied. That being said if this turns into a full length book I will totally read it. For now I think I need to go read Memories of Ash
Kimberly
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Compelling characters that I cannot wait to hear more from. I will read anything that Ms. Khanani writes!
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Aaargh, too short!

This was a great start to a story. It reads like a first chapter and had me completely drawn in. I was so surprised when it ended, there feels like a wave of story about to crash forwadd. Looking forward to the trilogy to come.
Never Never Land
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this 37 page read to be sweet fantasy read about a loving family and their attempts at hiding one among them who has magic. Rae is perhaps one of the most authentic characters I have read in awhile. Through Intisar writing it is clear that she loves her sisters as well as her parents and relies on her own personal strengths to get them out of trouble when a daerie arrives at their home and stirs up trouble with his simple presence.

I felt that this short read did exactly what the author w
AryaTheFangirl
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
this was really good. I hadn't heard of this author or her works before but I'm really excited to read more in this world and follow rae's journey
Hayden
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been meaning to read one of Intisar Khanani's books before now, so when I saw this novella was free, I snatched it up quickly.

Overall, I loved the writing style (even if it was present tense, haha) and for a kindle freebie, it was definitely an A+ find.
Ally
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 Stars
Kirstie Ellen
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Knife
Having loved Khanani's Thorn of course I had to pick this novella up. This is the start to a different series by her and the second book is coming out later this year. The Bone Knife is free to download as an e-book and it's only about 40 pages so I recommend picking it up! I really enjoyed this quick start to a new adventure and I'm already in love with the characters. I cannot wait to continue reading the series with A Darkness at the Door (whose release I am eagerly awaiting), b
Pauline Ross
I’m a huge fan of the author, having given five stars to both ‘Thorn’ and ‘Sunbolt’, so this was a must-have for me. It’s a charming little short story, a prequel to a future novel, with all the author’s trademarks: great characters, a well-defined setting and an intriguing plot, beautifully written, creating an altogether beguiling experience.

Rae is the eldest of three sisters, who live with their parents. No, the main character isn’t an orphan, isn’t mistreated and actually has a great relatio
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Intisar's work and The Bone Knife has done nothing to change my mind. It was the perfect short read while I was dealing with eye strain and Aurealis judging.

Rae was a great character, particularly because she was a bit unusual. It's not often the staid oldest sister gets to be the focus of a story. More often it's the magical middle sister or the impulsive youngest. Rae is pragmatic--even a little dour at times--and I loved that about her.

I also enjoyed her relationship with her family. T
Fence
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, short-stories
The Bone Knife is a short story, and to me it felt much more like a character study, or character background rather than a fully developed story. It is the tale of Rae, born with a club foot she has always been aware of her disability. The eldest of the family she is all about the practicalities and looking out for her younger two sisters. The middle one, Niya has a secret that the family need to keep. She can weave memories or atmospheres into whatever she makes, her bread may evoke a summer’s ...more
Tahlia Newland
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I like a short story occasionally. They're excellent for when you feel like reading something, but don't have a lot of time, or for between novels, when the last one is still lingering and you're not quite ready to submerge yourself into another world yet. The other time when a short story is good is when you want to taste an authors' style before purchasing a longer book. Intisar Khanani's The Bone Knife filled all these purposes for me and I was delighted to find a well-written, tight and sens ...more
Emily
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review is part of The Bone Knife tour, by Enchanted Book Tours.

RATING: 4.00

I don't typically read Short Stories. I mean, Short Stories are so.... short. I really enjoyed this one.

The Bone Knife is intriguing. That says a lot. The plot is suspenseful, and I love the characters in it. Intisar is a wonderful author. She brings out her characters in a way that they are relatable, and her world is one that you want to immerse yourself in.

Rae was a wonderfully illustrated character. She isn't y
Anna
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This reads like a fairy tale; Rae a club footed girl is forced to face the way she sees her disability when a fae Lord comes to visit her father's house. Intriguing enough to persuade me by to try Khanani's novel Thorn.

An enchanting short story by an author I'd not come across before. Khanani has a clear narrative voice and paints her key character, a club footed young woman, with simplicity and compassion. This reads like a fairy tale (a homely family with a secret and a fae lord who comes visi
Padgy
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Knife is a magical and intriguing short story by Intasar Khanani. She is so adept in her character development. It was remarkable considering the length of the story.

I found the protagonist, Rae, so endearing. I was rooting for her and her family as they were visited by a faerie, which was shrouded in mystery. Rae, being true to form is such a strong, independent young girl, who tries to save her family from the uncertainty that this charismatic character brings.

I am excited to have fo
Lara
OBVIOUSLY I loved this. I can't seem to get enough of this world of mages and fae and characters that defy conventions. I love the relationships among the three sisters, love the little bits of magic we get to see Niya do, love Bean's spunk, and love the symbolism of the bone knife, and the thoughts it leads Rae towards as she remembers the words their visitor has left her with. Khanani is so good at just fully immersing me in her world and her characters. More, more, more!!!
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I figured I'd start Intisar's books with this short story and the fact that it was free was even better. What a treat! I can't wait to get into the longer books after this.

Intisar is an amazing storyteller, Rae comes to life in this short story and I really cannot wait to see what's next for her as the end of the book reveals there will be a series based on her. I can't wait.
Bailey
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I picked this gem of a novella up for free. This is the first of Ms. Khanani's work that I have read, but it will not be the last. I'm not sure I have ever been so enamored with a short story. This was fantastic! I look forward to reading more of Ms. Khanani's work.
Goodreads Authors...: New Release: YA Fantasy Short Story "The Bone Knife" 1 4 Oct 25, 2012 11:18AM
  • Beyond the Iron Gate: Zara's Journey (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada #0.5)
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Degrees of Delusion
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • Fallen Embers (Alterra Histories #2)
  • Empyreal Fate
  • The Golden Cage (A Dance of Dragons, #0.5)
  • Defiance (The Priestess Trilogy, #1)
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
  • Windswept (The Hightower Trilogy, #2)
  • Mine to Tarnish (Mine, #0.5)
  • The Underground Witch (Incenaga, #2)
  • Toil & Trouble: A Know Not Why Halloween (Mis)adventure
  • Broken (ShadowLight Saga, #2)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Fragile Destiny (The Aether Chronicles, #3)
  • The Seventh Magpie
  • The Picture of Cool
Intisar Khanani grew up a nomad and world traveler. Born in Wisconsin, she has lived in five different states as well as in Jeddah on the coast of the Red Sea. She currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, with her husband and two young daughters. Prior to publishing her novels, Intisar worked as a public health consultant on projects relating to infant mortality and minority health, which was as clo ...more
More about Intisar Khanani

The Theft of Sunlight (2 books)
  • The Theft of Sunlight (The Theft of Sunlight, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99