Start by marking “The Bone Knife (Dauntless Path, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Bone Knife (Dauntless Path, #1.5)

The Bone Knife

(Dauntless Path #1.5)

Rae knows how to look out for family. Born with a deformed foot, she feigns indifference to the pity and insults that come her way. Wary of all things beautiful, Rae instantly distrusts their latest visitor: an appallingly attractive faerie. Further, his presence imperils the secret her sister guards. But when the local townspeople show up demanding his blood, Rae must fin ...more
Published October 22nd 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Knife, please sign up.
Intisar Khanani I'm so sorry I didn't see this question when you first posted it! The Bone Knife is a short story, and it was taken off the market back when I sold Th…moreI'm so sorry I didn't see this question when you first posted it! The Bone Knife is a short story, and it was taken off the market back when I sold Thorn to HarperTeen in 2017 - they bought it as well as Rae's first novel-length book, The Theft of Sunlight.

HarperTeen (and Hot Key!) included The Bone Knife at the back of both print and e-book versions of Thorn, so if you manage to pick that up, you can finally read this little short at the end. :)(less)

Start your review of The Bone Knife (Dauntless Path, #1.5)
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#0.5 The Bone Knife - ★★★★
#1 The Theft of Sunlight - Anticipating in 2021

The Bone Knife by Intisar Khanani is a prequel to a new series, The Theft of Sunlight that is hopefully coming out in 2021. This prequel was included in my copy of Thorn, which I loved, and I thought I would also share what I think of The Bone Knife.

Synopsis

Rae knows how to look out for her family. Born with a deformed foot, she feigns indifference to the pity
Elisabeth Wheatley
In case you didn't know, I bloody ADORE Ms. Khanani's other book, THORN (the Grimm tale of THE GOOSE GIRL with a middle-eastern influence and a swoon-worthy prince). THE BONE KNIFE introduces Rae, the heroine of the companion trilogy to THORN.

Since it is a short story, I can say a whole lot without being spoiler-ific, but I will say that Rae was a very compelling and sympathetic character and I particularly liked the way the relationship between her and her sisters was portrayed.

I will be watc
TL
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“We’ve a visitor,” Niya says as I enter from the kitchen yard. She kneels before the low work table at the center of the room, punching down the morning’s dough, her arms daubed with flour and her hair wisping out of her braid. “I heard Baba answer the door a moment ago.”   “I know. He’s trouble.” I cross the kitchen, debating how to handle the sort of trouble he is. With our mother gone to town, and our father already busy with him, it falls to me as the eldest of my sisters to figure out what ...more
Lynxie
Well, Intisar delivers another great short story.

The Bone Knife hints at a much larger story, one that I am extremely keen to find out more about. The loving, supportive family unit Rae (our protagonist) is brought up in, is a delightful change to the broken homes a lot of new fictional characters are emerging from.

The two sisters are sweet and yet amusingly realistic in their taunting and teasing, but also their actions speak louder than words.

When an 'appallingly attractive faerie' arrives
Katrina Waldman
I ADORE Intisar Khanani's work, in case it isn't clear by the fact that I've read pretty much everything that she's read so far. I was recently looking through my Kindle and came upon this short story which I was shocked to discover I hadn't read yet! What?! I of course had to read it immediately, and I was not disappointed. Khanani has this magical ability to write a short story and make you feel that you've read a full length fantasy novel with a strong beginning, middle, and end. I really don ...more
Lisa
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful read

I give this 5 stars for being an intriguing story with a very strong main character. The story shows that kindness is a rare quality posessed by the main character. She is also strong and smart. Maybe she wishes she were different but she is amazing just the way she is. I hope to read many more stories about this particular character. And I can't wait to share these stories with my granddaughter when she's old enough.
La La
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Loved it! If you want to get a feel for this author's writing style this little story about the character who will be the MC in her upcoming series, is a FREE ebook. I also loved her standalone novel, Thorn, which is out right now.
Saruuh Kelsey
This is so damn good. I'm dying to get my hands on the trilogy with the same character. In a short number of pages this book has atmosphere, grandeur, resonating characters, enticing fae, and awesome sibling relationships.
Patricia
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for book 1
Ashley Steele
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No harm can come from reading a short story, right? Until you finish it, wanting more, realize there's a whole series waiting, and that it's not available yet?! The (delightful) torture!
John
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful short story from the world of ‘Thorn’.
Athena
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA, Adult, Fantasy-readers, women's lit
Before taking a novel-length commitment to a new-to-me author I tried this terrific little short story by Intisar Khanani, a young writer with a solid talent for world-building and believable characters. I'm so glad I did!

From the perspective of the oldest of 3 sisters a visitor comes to buy their father's horses, and mercifully unlike far too many works of fantasy *both* parents are alive and active presences here. Points to Khanani for that alone - the solo parent trope has becoming exceeding
Althea Ann
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice short story, which puts an interesting twist on some familiar fantasy themes, and leaves the reader with some food for thought.

In a family with three sisters, there's the magical one, the pretty one... and Rae is the one who's plain, and club-footed, to boot.

When a faerie lord comes to do business with her father, a mob of intolerant villagers threatens them all (fear and prejudice against magic is rife, in this land).

Rae is the one who steps up to risk herself for everyone else's safety. T
Megan
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I continue to love this short novella throughout my reading of many young adult novels and always find myself coming back to it! I can't wait for Intisar's plans for hopefully turning this into a full book and allowing myself to love it even more!

As for my hopes, I reeeaallly want Rae to maybe have a teeny romance with the "appallingly attractive faerie" in this short story. And by teeny, I mean I NEED it to happen!

One thing's for sure: I'll be first in line to pick up the full novel if it's t
Lara
OBVIOUSLY I loved this. I can't seem to get enough of this world of mages and fae and characters that defy conventions. I love the relationships among the three sisters, love the little bits of magic we get to see Niya do, love Bean's spunk, and love the symbolism of the bone knife, and the thoughts it leads Rae towards as she remembers the words their visitor has left her with. Khanani is so good at just fully immersing me in her world and her characters. More, more, more!!!
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I figured I'd start Intisar's books with this short story and the fact that it was free was even better. What a treat! I can't wait to get into the longer books after this.

Intisar is an amazing storyteller, Rae comes to life in this short story and I really cannot wait to see what's next for her as the end of the book reveals there will be a series based on her. I can't wait.
Polly Clarke
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love discovering new authors that 'click' with me. You may suppose that a free story might be of an average standard but Intisar has something quite special to offer us. A tempting taster and I'm very much looking forward to reading more of her work. One to watch!
Shellee
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! I cannot wait until the trilogy to this introduction book comes out! I adore Rae and can't wait to read her story! Short stories usually do not grab me so quickly but I am a fan for life! This is a forever free book so make sure you grab it!
Melanti
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it
The prequel story to Thorn's sequel.

It's not quite meaty enough to work as a stand alone, IMO, but I liked Rae's personality and it's a good teaser for the upcoming trilogy.
Kimberly
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Compelling characters that I cannot wait to hear more from. I will read anything that Ms. Khanani writes!
Alison
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Argh!!! This just stopped. I know it's a short story but so frustrating when you're just getting into it and it ends. There's too much unanswered so I'm feeling decidedly unsatisfied. That being said if this turns into a full length book I will totally read it. For now I think I need to go read Memories of Ash
Never Never Land
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this 37 page read to be sweet fantasy read about a loving family and their attempts at hiding one among them who has magic. Rae is perhaps one of the most authentic characters I have read in awhile. Through Intisar writing it is clear that she loves her sisters as well as her parents and relies on her own personal strengths to get them out of trouble when a daerie arrives at their home and stirs up trouble with his simple presence.

I felt that this short read did exactly what the author w
Arya
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
this was really good. I hadn't heard of this author or her works before but I'm really excited to read more in this world and follow rae's journey
Susan
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short story is a great way to get a taste of Khanani's beautiful style and strong character development. In just a few chapters, Khanani draws the reader into a new world where three sisters
encounter a faerie. I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.
Hayden
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've been meaning to read one of Intisar Khanani's books before now, so when I saw this novella was free, I snatched it up quickly.

Overall, I loved the writing style (even if it was present tense, haha) and for a kindle freebie, it was definitely an A+ find.
Ally
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 Stars
Kirstie Ellen
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Knife
Having loved Khanani's Thorn of course I had to pick this novella up. This is the start to a different series by her and the second book is coming out later this year. The Bone Knife is free to download as an e-book and it's only about 40 pages so I recommend picking it up! I really enjoyed this quick start to a new adventure and I'm already in love with the characters. I cannot wait to continue reading the series with A Darkness at the Door (whose release I am eagerly awaiting), b
Pauline Ross
I’m a huge fan of the author, having given five stars to both ‘Thorn’ and ‘Sunbolt’, so this was a must-have for me. It’s a charming little short story, a prequel to a future novel, with all the author’s trademarks: great characters, a well-defined setting and an intriguing plot, beautifully written, creating an altogether beguiling experience.

Rae is the eldest of three sisters, who live with their parents. No, the main character isn’t an orphan, isn’t mistreated and actually has a great relatio
Sabreena - Books and Prosecco
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is the short story at the end of Thorn, and it seems to be setting up a new book/series by the author. As it is a short story, it’s tough to review without giving spoilers, but in just 30 pages, I was entranced.

Rae is an intriguing character, with a physical disability, who shows bravery in a time when fear could take over.

”You should on occasion be kinder to yourself.”

The lesson of the story: trust yourself and be kind to yourself. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Intisar's work and The Bone Knife has done nothing to change my mind. It was the perfect short read while I was dealing with eye strain and Aurealis judging.

Rae was a great character, particularly because she was a bit unusual. It's not often the staid oldest sister gets to be the focus of a story. More often it's the magical middle sister or the impulsive youngest. Rae is pragmatic--even a little dour at times--and I loved that about her.

I also enjoyed her relationship with her family. T
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Authors...: New Release: YA Fantasy Short Story "The Bone Knife" 1 4 Oct 25, 2012 11:18AM

• Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • A Dangerous Deceit (The Thief-Takers, #3)
  • What I Like About You
  • A Talent for Trickery (The Thief Takers, #1)
  • A Gift for Guile (The Thief Takers, #2)
  • The Law of Superheroes
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • If I Never Met You
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • When Strangers Marry (Vallerands, #1)
  • Verona Comics
  • Gilded Cage (Dark Gifts, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
  • Warprize  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1)
Intisar Khanani grew up a nomad and world traveler. Born in Wisconsin, she has lived in five different states as well as in Jeddah on the coast of the Red Sea. She currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, with her husband and two young daughters. Prior to publishing her novels, Intisar worked as a public health consultant on projects relating to infant mortality and minority health, which was as clo ...more

Dauntless Path (4 books)
  • Brambles (Dauntless Path, #.5)
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • The Theft of Sunlight (Dauntless Path, #2)