Start by marking “A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting” as Want to Read:

A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting

(Le guide du mauvais père #1)

Meditations on fatherhood from the author of Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City

With A User’s Guide to Neglectful Parenting, the trademark dry humor that pervades Guy Delisle’s landmark and praised graphic travelogues takes center stage. Quick, light vignettes play on the worries and cares any young parent might have, and offer wry solutions to the petty frustrations
Published June 11th 2013 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting

Start your review of A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
Sam Quixote
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Guy Delisle takes a break from his usual travelogue comics to produce a highly amusing look at being a dad, specifically his parenting style towards his young son and daughter. The stories range from Delisle’s shortcomings as a dad to his mischievous nature trumping his paternal instincts – all stories which are almost all hilarious.

One of the stories shows Delisle forgetting to put a coin under his son’s pillow when his tooth falls out – for 3 nights in a row! – and having to make up a story ab
Bogdan
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Feels a little short and sketchy. It has it`s moments of fun, but nothing really deep here. ...more
David Schaafsma
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
My favorite Delisle book so far! He is a great and simple artist, very clean lines, very attractive and accomplished sense of style, always. Meticulous, inviting, and the tone of his voice in his narratives always annoys me, irritates me, even offends me... but here he is hilarious in his self-deprecating tales of failed or neglectful parenting that most parents (and kids, and former kids) can relate to. I really, really liked it. Reminded me of Jeffrey Brown's parenting books such as the Darth ...more
Sooraya Evans
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disappointment
Something different from his usual travel tales, this book focuses on Guy Delisle's experiences in parenting. Most of the stories were mediocre. Some not even funny at all. But rather disturbing. Such as scaring his little girl about a tree sprouting from her stomach. And a bedtime story about a monkey breaking into the house, killing the baby.
What a douche!
Rod Brown
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guy Delisle represents for that bit of bad dad in all of us fathers. Hilariously awful parenting is going on here.

Sort of reminds me of Calvin's dad:
Cristina | Books, less beer & a baby Gaspar
I didn't LOL during reading it, but they are little sketches of daily life situations that are funny! The art is well known and it is an entertaining 10 min "read"!
Lisa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've read two graphic novels by Guy Delisle: Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea and Burma Chronicles. They were both pretty impressive. This one was a big disappointment. The book is very short, with just two simple drawings per page. Although I do like Delisle's signature artwork, the humor falls flat with me. I'd go as far as saying some of it is boarder-line offensive (telling your daughter a bedtime story about a baby that falls to its death outside its bedroom window? just not funny). Unli ...more
Kay
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not as funny or poignant as it thinks it is.
Kate
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this while looking in my library's online catalog for a different book by the author (Hostage). This was so different from the book I was looking for that I requested it. It took me about 15-20 minutes to read. It's a short collection of comics about a dad's interactions with his son and daughter (the mother is never seen...). They were amusing, nothing completely unbelievable, which leads me to believe these scenarios might have actually happened. I loved the ones about the Easter bunny ...more
Raina
Breezy and light-weight collection of short anecdotes about parenting. Amusing enough that I read a few of them out loud to friends. Not particularly recommended if you take your parenting very seriously. ;)
Mikko Saari
Not bad; occasionally really funny and to the point, but this is read in just five minutes and then you can forget about it. That's not very longlasting entertainment or value for money.
Chris
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cartoonist father recounts funny little stories with his kids. There is no wife featured in the comics, though the boy mentions a mom once. The book as a whole is made up of half a dozen or more stories, ranging from practical jokes from the father (the chainsaw one was one of my favorite), the hypocrisy of parenting, or just fooling your kids in various ways. I think I have encountered nearly all of them in some way or another in my own parenting of my kids, so the stories are even better whe ...more
Colleen
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A quick humorous blurb on parenting. Forgetting the money from the tooth fairy, bad dad pranks (chainsaw anyone?), fruit trees growing in the belly. Everyone will recognize at least a couple incidents that I’m sure they lived through (the sad swearing under the kitchen sink particularly resonated with me).

Simon Wigzell
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fun little book about a father who doesn't really get it that his kids are not his age-similar friends; there are things which you maybe should avoid discussing with them. Such as baby-snatching monkey news, when the kid is just about to go to sleep...
Drawings are as charming as Delisle's usual fare
Only drawback: it took maybe 10 minutes to read, so don't expect a book to snuggle up with for a couple of evenings.
Tatiana Nicholls
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe because I am not into comics, I really didn't know what to expect form these books. But as soon as I read the first page I didn't want to stop reading. Being a parent and reading this book make you laugh from beginning to end, since you can see yourself reflected in so many ways. Nice drawings and the daily life events pop up in a very special way. Highly recommended.
Nicole
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a parent, but as I work with children and have friends with children, I sometimes feel like I am one. This is hilarious! A must-read for anyone interested in a funny, lighthearted, (and at times very real) depiction of what it's like to raise children.
Mohsin Khan
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
nice accounts on people who pick up parenting but have a tough time living up to it.
May-Ling
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 stars, much less substantial than a typical delisle read, but hilarious. :)
Meg
trying to work on my French. This was hilarious, and less taxing compared to full text.
Renee
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Silly and funny little book about all the dumb things parents do when we are too tired or distracted by life to be perfect. Cute.
Alba González
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Really funny, good stories and you read this book in a couple of minutes!
Kandise
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, french, 2016
Not sure if this is "Guide du mauvais père 1" or a compilation of the three, but I'm using it to represent vol 1. All three are good - funny, fast reads, relatable. 1+2 are better than 3.
Alex
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: european-comics
Small stories about a father and how the modern way of living makes him treat his children like adults and neglects them as a process of growing up.

It had it's moments. Some fun bits and bites here and there, nothing special. It's supposed to be a humorous BD with underlying messages of what to avoid as a modern parent, still it didn't convince me that these situations didn't actually happen. The story about his daughter drawing comics was really fun tho.

The drawings are scetchy on purpose (1-
Vio
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hehe, maybe 3,5 *.
I find this guy funny and I like the way he draws. ;)

I also find it amusing how some people here are complaining about the stories in the book. It is called The guide of the bad father, not of the good father! (or to neglectful parenting, if you go by the ”official” English title, so what exactly do the readers really expect, I wonder, when picking up a book with such a title, è?!). :)

My first Guy Delisle on paper (I know him from his internet site). Yay!
Ash
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I saw this book while browsing in my local library and picked it up. This is a quick and easy read which hardly takes 10-15 mins to read. It’s a humorous take on parenting as the author interacts with his two young kids in this graphical novel. Loved it. Good for parents who are in need of a good laugh.
Nick Nguyen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it

Amsuing stuff, though it reads much better in its original blog format.
Mycala
Aug 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was funny. I'm glad my dad wasn't like Delisle, but this was funny. I didn't love this as much as his travel journals. I was thinking they might be in the same visual format. The drawings are simpler with fewer frames per page so it was a quick read that I enjoyed very much. I finished it in twenty minutes and smiled the whole way through.

On second thought... I just remembered there was a cartoon in here where his daughter handed him one of her drawings. (view spoiler)
Jim Angstadt
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting
Guy Delisle, Helge Dascher (Translation)

Like other graphic novels by the author, this book focuses on small, odd, or dysfunctional situations. Then he lets the details of the small situations add up for a broader understanding. At least that was so in Jerusalem and Pyongyang.

That approach does not work so well with Neglectful Parenting; the author seems more interested in poking fun at himself with improbable situations. This does not generalize, at least fo
Julian
You could read this in 30 minutes but it is not worth the effort. The book is boring, uninspired, unfunny and forgettable. There is no wit and lacks of originality. The author plays a severed hand prank to his kid or tells him he is the tooth mouse...plain stuff like that.
Sam
Mar 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this immensely funny and even as one without kids (nor the desire for any) could imagine me using some of these responses in light of some of the questions and circumstances that arise when dealing with young children (and the joy in telling them all those little white lies you got told and seeing them believe it!). The illustrations are beautifully simplistic allowing the humour of each situation to be the main focus of the reader. This almost has me hoping for the day when I have nephe ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• My New York Marathon
  • C'est pas facile d'être une fille tome 2
  • Tetris: The Games People Play
  • L'Arabe du futur 3 : Une jeunesse au Moyen-Orient, 1985-1987
  • Serge (Magasin général, #2)
  • De la Syrie à la Turquie (L'Odyssée d'Hakim, #1)
  • Moja osoba. Eseje i przygody
  • Les Hommes (Magasin général, #3)
  • Confessions (Magasin général,  #4 )
  • Marie (Magasin général, #1)
  • Paul Has a Summer Job
  • Montréal (Magasin général,  #5 )
Born in Quebec, Canada, Guy Delisle studied animation at Sheridan College. Delisle has worked for numerous animation studios around the world, including CinéGroupe in Montreal.

Drawing from his experience at animation studios in China and North Korea, Delisle's graphic novels Shenzen and Pyongyang depict these two countries from a Westerner's perspective. A third graphic novel, Chroniques Birmanes,

Le guide du mauvais père (4 books)
  • Le guide du mauvais père 2