Start by marking “Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe

Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe

Perhaps no living author of imaginative fiction has earned the awards, accolades, respect, and literary reputation of Gene Wolfe. His prose has been called subtle and brilliant, inspiring not just lovers of fantasy and science fiction, but readers of every stripe, transcending genre and defying preconceptions.

In this volume, a select group of Wolfe’s fellow authors pay tri
Published August 27th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the New Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the New Sun

Dan Schwent
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, sf, 2013
Shadows of the New Sun is a collection of stories inspired by Gene Wolfe's work and the author's fond memories of meeting Gene (or not).

Official Business: I got this from Netgalley. Thank you, Netgalley!

The authors included are Neil Gaiman, David Brin, David Drake, Nancy Kress, Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, Aaron Allston, Michael Swanwick, Mike Resnick, and others. Neil Gaiman's story, the Lunar Labyrinth, is my favorite. Timothy Zahn's story and Frostfree, the tale of a refrigerator that tra
Kyle Muntz
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was totally pumped when I found out this anthology was going to exist. For a lot of reasons, really. Wolfe is pretty close to being my favorite author (I've read all of his books, and most of the better ones twice), and seeing a whole anthology in tribute to him is just... fitting. And awesome.

Of course, it also sets a really high bar. The whole anthology is inevitably going to be in Wolfe's shadow, but with a roster made up of successful, sometimes bestselling authors (a lot of them make mor
Stephen Case
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
If you love Gene Wolfe, read this book. If you don't know who Gene Wolfe is, or if you haven't yet gotten around to reading his stuff, don't read this book. Read his stuff. Because, consider: for what other contemporary science fiction and fantasy author could you publish an anthology with original contributions by such well-known and respected names all somehow influenced by and tributing him? Even if you don't believe all your nerdy and literary friends about how great Gene Wolfe is, you shoul ...more
Galen Charlton
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Reading Reality.

One name that often comes up in such discussions is Gene Wolfe, author of such classics as The Book of the New Sun sequence and The Wizard Knight. His use of language rewards the reader who is willing to pay careful attention (and keep a dictionary at hand!)

He’s generally acknowledged by other SF and fantasy authors as a writer’s writer, so it is appropriate that so many of them have joined together in this festschrift edited by J.E. Mooney and Bill Fawcett
Christian
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heartrending.

The two Wolfe stories in here were, of course, excellent. (I'm one of four people in the U.S. who is not crazy about Neil Gaiman.) Many of the other contributing writers seized upon the concept of "tribute" as an opportunity to heavily rely upon puns centered on the names of Wolfe and his wife. Others, in a crass display of hubris, felt they were up to the task of "borrowing" characters from Wolfe's oeuvre and revisiting them in fresh and original short stories. Needless to say...

Th
Greg Bates
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A mixed bag. Turns out writing short stories in Gene Wolfe mode is difficult to do! The authors who already write Wolfean work are good (Michael Swanwick's story alone is worth the price of admission), those who don't either don't bother trying or confuse "make Gene Wolfe reference" with "write Gene Wolfe-esque story."
Simonfletcher
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, if you love Wolfe.
What I found the most interesting was the last 20% of the book which consisted of articles on writing, SF/F, and other things, by Mr Wolfe. The other 80% are interesting interviews, interesting except for the expected overlap in some of the various interviewer's questions to Wolfe over the years.
Michael
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published at "The Nameless Zine". Check it out for more reviews.

Gene Wolfe is a writer’s writer. That’s not to say readers can’t enjoy his dense, cryptic tales like the epic “The Book of the New Sun”, but his real champions are his fellow authors - which helps explain his shelf of awards combined with his relative obscurity.
In Shadows of the New Sun, editors Bill Fawcett and J.E. Mooney gather 16 of the best living sci-fi and fantasy authors — including Neil Gaiman, David Brin, Joe H
Ben Nash
I'm tempted to give this book a five-star rating because of how excited I get over it, but looking back over the stories proves to me that the majority of the stories only got four stars.

Frostfree, the opening story by Gene was better than average, but sub-par for him. Still, it was a memorable and fun story about a possible future AI/appliance.

Gene's second story, the last one in the collection, was one of the best. Given his penchant for unreliable narrators, you know a story titled "Sea of Me
Psychophant
It has taken me a while to finish Shadows of the New Sun, a collection of stories written as a homage to Gene Wolfe. It has taken me a while because in the process I have reread most of his short story compilations and I even was sorely tempted to reread the Book of the New Sun. I still may do it. I seldom buy mixed author compilations because it is a shotgun approach to quality (all over the place), but considering my own completeness fixation with Wolfe and that it is unlikely these stories wi ...more
Donald J. Bingle
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Literary Science Fiction Anthology Honors Master of the Genre

This anthology (masterfully put together by editor J.E. Mooney) honors Gene Wolfe, one of the greatest living American authors. Even the brief intros at the beginning of each story demonstrate the profound impact that Gene has had on the writings and the lives of a broad panoply of scifi and fantasy authors and the respect, awe, and reverence such authors have for Mr. Wolfe and his work. This sense of reverence and respect carries on i
Maghon Thomas
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
This is an anthology that is a tribute to Gene Wolfe. And though each author has it's own way of writing, and writing style, I think it's awesome that each of these stories was a tribute to him. And besides these stories were great! Of course some I liked more than most, but I still enjoyed this anthology and just for that alone, I think it's worth the read!

Michael Swanwick, The She-Wolfe's Hidden Grin: This one is easily 5 PAWS, and has an exceptional new take on Cerberus. :)

Aaron Allston, Ep
Angie Lisle
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not very familiar with Gene Wolfe's body of work. I expected more out of this book - this compilation reminded me of another anthology, done in honor of Jack Vance, who I also hadn't read. I fell in love with that anthology and it sent me on the hunt for more of Vance's work. I was hoping Shadows of the New Sun would do the same; that's why I requested a free copy for review from NetGalley. Two of the stories in this anthology were written by Gene Wolfe and it's those two stories that compel ...more
Tim
Writing a short story in honour of Gene Wolfe is a tough gig, because Gene Wolfe is one of the best short story writers going around - certainly within the speculative fiction fields - and he doesn't have the kind of immediate linguistic markers in his fiction that make it easy to pastiche his style (other, perhaps, than his most famous work, the four-volume Book of the New Sun). The stories in this volume, including two by Wolfe himself, are a mixed bag - as one would expect. A few too many nev ...more
Chris
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mix of stories in honor of Gene Wolfe, including 2 new stories by Mr. Wolfe himself. A few entries include sly or overt tributes to the late Rosemary Wolfe, Gene's wife (although she was still living when the book was published). I've been a devoted fan of Mr. Wolfe since about 1982 and met him and his delightful wife at a convention several years ago. I, like many others, discovered Gene Wolfe through his Book of the New Sun series. A couple of the stories here, in this collection, ...more
Tom
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of stories, a few by Gene Wolfe, and the rest by other authors inspired by his work. As such, it is a bit variable, as only Gene Wolfe writes his stories, but it's often fun to see them flavored by Neil Gaiman or David Drake or...

The first story remains my favorite so far. "Frost Free" tells the story of a refrigerator sent back in time to break a curse. It seems much more plausible when Wolfe writes it, honest.

Like all anthologies, it's variable. In this case some of the au
Garry Geer
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is interesting to think that there are some authors who rock our world so much that people want to write stories in their honor. While I found the stories themselves somewhat a mixed bag, I was moved by the desire to do homage to Gene Wolfe, not only as an author but as a person. These people had stories about a humble gracious man who did not set himself on a pedestal, but sought to share the joy of writing with as many people as possible.

If you haven't picked up Wolfe, I'd urge you you to
Rich Mulvey
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice collection of stories written in honor of Gene Wolfe, and the author himself.

As other reviews have noted, Wolfe sets a very high bar. With one exception, the stories that borrow from his works suffer in comparison. Of the rest, "Ashes" by Steven Savile was by far my favorite.

I expect this book would appeal mostly to existing Wolfe fans, though it would certainly be enjoyed even by those unfamiliar with him.
Ken
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great collection honoring Gene.

The introductions to each story were nice to read. Some stories were better than others. I won't go into as much detail as some of the others here, but I will say that I particularly felt Jody Lynn Nye's story captured the essence of Urth, and that William Dietz's jarringly did not. His was the one story that felt so wrongly placed with the others. The two felt so juxtaposed. I enjoyed Joe Haldeman's story, and Nancy Kress.
Lydia Presley
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love a good collection of short stories and when those stories introduce me to authors I haven't read, or re-introduce me to authors I have read and loved, I'm a happy, happy girl. Especially when said stories are science fiction and fantasy. That's what Shadows of the New Sun is full of so you can imagine I was over the moon when I received a copy of this book.

Read the rest of this review at The Lost Entwife on September 28, 2013.
Tor.com Publishing
I'm a Wolfe fan. That's no secret. This? This is a worthy collection in his honor! Not least because it includes him...but there are a few greats of the genre whom I've never read-- ain't there always? Always playing catch up!-- with stories in here, too. I was blown away: "so that's what the hype is about!" A heck of an anthology. -MK
Ed
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urthlings
A worthy collection to honor Gene Wolfe. My favorite stories in the collection are Timothy Zahn's "A Touch of Rosemary", "Ashes" by Steven Savile, Jack Dann's "The Island of Time", Aaron Allston's "Epistoleros", and Wolfe's own "The Sea of Memory". Neil Gaiman's story, "A Lunar Labyrinth," was good, but somewhat disappointing.
Maggie Hesseling
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An interesting collection. I haven't read all that much by Gene Wolfe, but the list of author's in this compilation was too alluring. They cover the whole spectrum, and show a great amout of absurdity. I've gathered different understanding of these authors as well. I love reading how they're inspired and how that is converted into their own creativity.
S
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I have not had great luck with anthologies lately, but this one went a ways toward redeeming my faith. The majority of these stories were good, and a few were very good. It made me want to read more Gene Wolfe, as well as more from some of the contributors (David Brin!Aaron Allston!) - and to meet the guy, since he sounds so swell.(!)
Akiva
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology of stories in honor of Gene Wolfe. Some are pretty good, some are okay. One or two of them really sound like Gene Wolfe. But probably the best story was the first one, by Mr. Wolfe himself, about a magic refrigerator. I don't know how he lives with himself.
Noemi Goodson
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into reading this book on short science fiction stories I tried to read something different than what I am used to reading. I had a hard time trying to figure out what the story is talking about. Noemi
Duncanator
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Most of the stories are pretty much total crap, but there are two by Gene Wolfe, one of which is pretty great (frostfree) and the other of which is ok. 1 star for the rest of the book, 4 stars for those 2 stories, 3 stars total. Yep.
Josh Yeager
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Most of these stories were based on books by Gene Wolfe. I've never read anything by him, so they didn't make much sense. But Ashes by Steven Savile and A Touch of Rosemary by Timothy Zahn were both excellent.
Kylie Sparks
I enjoyed many of these stories, although only a few actually reminded me of Gene Wolfe's books and a couple were incomprehensible to me. This collection has made me want to read more Gene Wolfe, and I will check out a few of these author's other works.
Mary Hauer
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
As with any short story collection, I liked some more than others. And I discovered a couple new authors to try.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 1