Start by marking “Imperfect Spiral” as Want to Read:
Imperfect Spiral

Imperfect Spiral

Danielle Snyder's summer job as a babysitter takes a tragic turn when Humphrey, the five-year-old boy she's watching, runs in front of oncoming traffic to chase down his football. Immediately Danielle is caught up in the machinery of tragedy: police investigations, neighborhood squabbling, and, when the driver of the car that struck Humphrey turns out to be an undocumented ...more
Published September 26th 2013 by Walker Childrens (first published July 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Imperfect Spiral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperfect Spiral

Kacey Vanderkarr
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-copy of Imperfect Spiral from Net Galley. All opinions are my own. I did not receive compensation, monetary or otherwise, for my review.

Imperfect Spiral is the kind of book I love to read. To say it was artfully arranged would be an understatement.

The story revolves around Humphrey Danker and his babysitter, Danielle. What started out as a fun evening in the park ends in tragedy when Humphrey is struck and killed by a vehicle while walking home. What happens next is
Hannah Farmer
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I received this advanced copy from the publisher at the TLA Annual Conference. For teens who enjoy realistic fiction "problem novels," this book is now at the top of my list. The characterization is spot on, the unlikely friendship between Danielle and Humphrey is well-developed, and the plot has enough twists to engage most readers. I cried A LOT while reading it, mostly because Levy captured incredibly well the spirit of a smart, sensitive, five year old boy. Danielle's memories of Humphrey ar ...more
Jacqueline
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I'm having a hard time deciding between giving this book four, or five stars. It was a really great story, despite how sad the description might sound. Especially for a book about a girl who had to go through the loss of the five-year-old she used to babysit, the whole tone was surprisingly positive, which I really appreciated. Obviously there were sad parts, but it was so realistic in the way that, even when you're mourning, there are moments everywhere that let you laugh, and be happy, and for

Sierra
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolute loved this. It was a short and easy read and it made me cry way more times than I should have. You can really feel how much the main character Danielle loved the little boy Humphrey she had babysat even after his death. To me this book was adorably sweet and also extremely sad at the same time.
Almost every time I read a flashback about Danielle and Humphrey it almost brought tears to my eyes.
Haylee Malenfant
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the book, Imperfect Spiral by Debbie Levy, the main themes were friendship and difficulties. The book is mainly about the story of a little boy named Humphrey T. Danker and his teenage babysitter, Danielle Snyder. I truly enjoyed reading every last word and did not want the story to end. I thought this book was very well written and had many interesting plot twists.
In this book, Humphrey and his babysitter are walking home from the park when he runs into the street and gets struck by a car.
Sally Kruger
WARNING! Stock up on tissues for this one.

IMPERFECT SPIRAL by Debbie Levy combines the tragic death of a wonderful five year old boy, the guilt of a teenage babysitter, and illegal immigration into a hypnotizing page-turner.

Little Humphrey Danker is hit and kill by a blue van on his way home from the park. His babysitter Danielle is crushed. She is assured by everyone, including Humphrey's parents, that the accident was not her fault, but as the weeks and months pass, she
Katrina Rohlfes
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Danielle Snyder's babysitting job takes a turn when the boy she babysits, Humphrey, gets hit by oncoming traffic when she is watching him. She is directly hit with the pain of having someone in her life that was very close to her, die. Becoming caught up with the police and neighborhood witnesses, Danielle only wants to mourn for the sweet boy she took care of. The situation becomes was overwhelming for Danielle and she tries to avoid the world around her. She meets a boy named Justin at a park ...more
Book Believer
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book, and sadly I just didn't feel the emotion. The only thing in this book I enjoyed were the flash backs with Humphrey, and that's pretty much it. I tried really hard to enjoy this book, but I couldn't.
Joelle
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-day
Oh my gosh. This book is so good! It is really clean and I cried! Its so sad. It's about a five-year-old boy and his babysitter and her struggle to get over his freak-accident that ended up with his death.
Kim
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and each and every character in it. I have so many 6th grade girls ask for sad books and this one fits that request without being overly sentimental.
Rachel Sharpe
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: real-life, ya, drama, romance
Just tried to tackle way too many issues in one book.
Shannon
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
This book was so sweet & incredible! I loved it sooo much! Thanks Joelle for the recommendation!
Maggie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
This was a great story, did I adore it? Not really, although it didn't mean it wasn't a good book.

Imperfect Spiral brings a serious tragedy into place. Danielle is a 15 years old girl morning the lost of her "babysittee" as he would call her, Humphrey. Hit by a car, the little 5 years old boy bring much more than just a funeral...

This book actually brings us many many problems to our attention. Illegal Immigration and Safety before anything else. It does show us life, friends
Kris the_book_adventurer
This book made me cry! Even though I cry pretty easily when a book gets even a tad bit emotional, and I love to cry over fictional characters, towards the end I was brought to tears. It wasn't a perfect story, it did have its ups and downs, but it genuinely moved me to tears. The conflict, tragedy, characters... It was all so real and raw, and Levy brought the story to life with her easy style of writing and her plot. I always like to think that, even though a book may not reach over 3 stars or ...more
Izabella Martin
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a heartbreaking novel based on friendship, with a little bit of romance.
In, Imperfect Spiral by Debbie Levy, Danielle Snyder takes a summer job babysitting a five year old named Humphrey. After running into traffic, getting hit by a car and dying, Danielle blames herself for this young boy's death. Living between the past and the present, she doesn't want to move on, she doesn't want to face the fact that Humphrey is dead. She was incredibly close to him, it was like they had known each other for years, just simply seeing them together, you would know that they had ...more
Tahni
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a good book overall. There is a lot going on in this story: trauma, grief, blame/guilt, immigration issues, family dynamics, cancer, friend dynamics. Strangely none of the things never step in each other's toes but rather weave together very nicely. Guilt and grieving are handled very, very well, such that I was very engaged through most of the book.

The end dips off a bit, however, not totally capturing my engagement between the climax of the novel and the last chapter (which
Jamariya Taylor
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good I enjoyed it.I really enjoyed this book because I love books like this book because I always read them.My favorite Character is Humphrey because he is a very smart kid like how he know a lot of big p words.My favorite part is when she met the boy at the park and he was trying to talk to Danielle and be her friend .I recommend this book to anyone who likes young adults books , suspense, or mystery books.
Shamaya Matheson
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was really good, the first part was sad. The Humphrey gets hit by a car, when Danielle is watching him in the summer. It throws her down. Along with Humphrey's death, her neighborhood goes into trouble too. I really liked this book because, when something happens, and I blame me, its good to know that someone is there. Like when Adrian, no spoilers, helped Danny. It was such a cute book.
Audrey
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, this was more than a little devastating. A look at the aftermath of a tragic accident and the grief and guilt that becomes part of a young girl's life. There is also a searing look into the "blame game" played after accidents and looking for someone "other" to pin things on. This was recommended to me by a teen reader and it was worth my evening.
Becca
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on a person even just a young girl copes with the loss of a love one. How she tries to find a reason for his death and try to make peace with him and his family. I love how the entire book is connected from the beginning.
Destiny Martinez
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this book "Imperfect Spiral" by Debbie Levy. I really enjoyed this book because it teaches a lesson but it makes me so sad. This book is sad, but also really fun to read, this is why I picked this book.
Ella Flynn
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because, You get different emotions. When I first started reading this book I wanted to stop reading it because it got really sad. I recommend this book for 4th graders and %th graders.
Alexis Myers
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well so far I really I’m joy this book it makes me happy
Nevaeh Marie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved how the book kept me emotionally involved and attached to the characters the whole time.
Beth
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Not as sad as I had heard. Perfect to pair with Refugee by Alan Gratz because of the immigration sub-plot.
Zoey Gearhart
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its A REALLY sad book.
Abigail
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This quickly became an engaging book for me and I found it hard to put down. The structure is well navigated and I love how there is still an underlying simple tone despite all that happens.
Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
View the full review here:

Danielle loved Humphrey like a little brother. He's fun, he's sweet and he never really gives her any trouble at all. But Danielle could never have guessed the tragedy that would unfold, cutting Humphrey's life short and, effectively, ending her innocence. Trapped in a web of grief and pain, Danielle doesn't see a way out until she meets a boy that
Aeicha
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every once in awhile a book comes along that captures me so completely and moves me in such surprising ways. A book that still hasn't left my thoughts even days or weeks after it's been read. Imperfect Spiral by Debbie Levy is one of those books. This isn't a perfect book (do those even exist?!), but I love it for everything it is and everything it isn't.

Fourteen year old Danielle Snyder spends the summer before high school as a babysitter for five year old Humphrey. Danielle and Hum
WJ
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Imperfect Spiral is about the aftermath of a tragic accident, which Danielle's charge Humphrey is killed in. As their neighbourhood reels from the accident and starts to search for someone to blame, be it the fact that the street is too dark or that it were immigrants who don't exactly have a legal status, Danielle feels disconnected with everything that's happening. All she wants is for someone to ask her what Humphrey meant to her and who he was. At the same time, she feels too raw to even speak abo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Love Disguised
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • The Key That Swallowed Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #5)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 8: Her Permanent Record (Amelia Rules! #8)
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • Sons of the 613
  • Double Vision (Dr. Jenna Ramey #2)
  • Brother, Brother
  • Rotten
  • High
  • Second Impact
  • In Too Deep
  • Money Run (Ashley Arthur, #1)
  • Deadwater Lane