Start by marking “Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship” as Want to Read:
Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship

Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship

When Vinnie, a crazy-happy dog, gets lost while visiting a nature preserve with his family, he finds comfort in the company of Bogart, a big, lazy rhinoceros. Vinnie loves his new friend, but Bogart would rather just take a nap. A friendship soon blossoms-even if Vinnie's definition of "friendship" is very different from Bogart's-and when word of their unique situation spr ...more
Published June 18th 2013 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Bogart and Vinnie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bogart and Vinnie

Alice
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 stars Vinnie a dog, and Bogart a Rhino are unlikely friends...but somehow it works.

Vinnie's though bubbles are so dog. "Hi I'm Vinnie, I love you" "Hi boy, it's my boy" just things a dog would think.

A little silly but still made me smile. Worth reading!
Diane
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vinnie, a hyper dog who has gotten lost, and Bogart, a square-lipped rhinoceros, who lives at Wildlands Preserve and likes his solitude become unlikely nose friends. And suddenly they become national news. They have, after all, an interspecies friendship.

Fame is fleeting, but the friendship remains strong.
Beth
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Vinnie, a hyperactive, overly-enthusiastic dog finds himself lost one day, he stumbles into a wild animal preserve and befriends a curmudgeonly rhino named Bogart. Well, at least Vinnie thinks they're friends. To say Bogart is dubious (and maybe a tad bit bored) of Vinnie might be an understatement. But soon the media gets wind of this interspecies friendship and reporters flock to the animal preserve, making Bogart and Vinnie famous. Will their friendship last the test of fame? And what ab ...more
Becky B
Vinnie, a hyper-active dog who loves everyone gets lost and wanders into a wildlife park. There, he befriends Bogart, the grumpy rhino. What will happen to their friendship when Vinnie's family finds him?

This had me laughing quite a bit. Vinnie reminded me a bit of a family dog (and also the dog from Up). Cole worked comedic magic with his illustrations in this. And Vernick's twist in the way the story ended was unexpected and more humorous. Lots of fun. A must for animal lovers. Do a fiction/no
Angela
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Very cute story. Fun to read. Love the illustrations
Jen
I really liked this story. I loved the dog, Vinnie. His crazy-happy personality is so funny and great, not to mention realistic for anyone who has ever had a dog of their own!

I also loved the fact that the story centered around an interspecies friendship. I would have given the story five stars but for one thing: the ending. I did not like that the family took - and the park allowed them to take - the rhino, zebras, and parrots home. Not wanting to separate Vinnie from his new friends was all w
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=2262

I love Vinnie! He is one of the happiest, joyful characters in a picture book every. Just seeing him makes me smile. I mean, how could Bogart not want to be his friend. But the funniest part of the friendship is the opposite attracts aspect. Bogart is not happy and joyful. He is content with standing on his hill eating grass, but then here comes Vinnie to change his life. Vernick cleverly plays off of the unlikely friendship hype (which is
Jeremy
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Surprisingly, this 3-5 storybook is a satire on those amazing animal friendship stories you always hear about on the news.

Vinnie the dog wanders into the zoo, and tries to befriend Bogart the Rhino. Despite the fact that Bogart clearly dislikes Vinny's company, the media falls all over themselves, artificially constructing this touching narrative about interspecies bonding.

It was actually pretty funny, but not funny in a way that a 4 year old would get, so this only gets 3 stars.
Beth
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this off the library shelves because of the cover illustration, which I thought was way cute. I enjoyed the rest of the story, too (although the ending is very improbable). I absolutely love the dog, Vinnie, because he acts in the way I think all dogs act. He actually made me smile quite a bit.
Jen
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this picture book so much! Vinnie the lost dog is absolutely the "crazy-happy" dog that so many of us know and love. Bogart the rhino is such an awesome Eeyore type. The author really nails the exuberance and loving nature of dogs, and there's a fun happy ending. The illustrations are super fun too. Hooray!
Pamela
The dog is reminiscent of those in the movie Up, loving everything he sees, and finally latching onto an uninterested rhino. It just seems a little strange in a story about friendship to see it so lopsided, where one side is just barely tolerating the other. And even though it's a farce, the ending is too fanciful for me to accept it as a satisfactory resolution to their situation.
Librariansteph
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book is a laugh-out-loud send-up of those earnest, (beloved by kids and adults), books about real-life animal friendships.
I thought it was hysterical, but I am guessing the satire will be lost on the little kids who are attracted to the cartoony artwork.
Erin
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book cracked me up.Vinnie, the "crazy-happy dog," has a voice that is spot on for what you'd imagine a crazy dog to sound like if he could talk! Done in a graphic novel style that will get all the kids laughing.
Holly Thompson
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh boy. I am kind of excited and kind of scared to read this one outloud. I need to practice having tons of energy. The author did such a great job of mimicking a super happy (annoying?) dog in his words. It's a silly story that I know my students will love.
Becky
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those hilarious children's books I believe was written for adults. From the comedy of one-liner jokes, to the facial expressions of the rhino this is a book adults should get their hands on!
Shelli
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This strange fictitious tale of love and indifference between an overly enthusiastic dog and a blasé rhino will make for a fun read-aloud that kids will enjoy. The illustrations are very animated and perfectly show each character’s unique personality.
Carol
I was really annoyed with the little dog, Vinnie's, personality at first. But then I realized it was just typical spazzy dog behavior. And once he got together with Bogart it was cute. The two drastically different creatures forming a friendship was quite charming.
Katie
A great story about two animals becoming a family "where one member loves the other and one wants nothing more than to be left alone." This is a sweet funny story that younger readers will enjoy hearing and older readers will enjoy reading!
Sheri
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rosie T, Janet S, Quinn C, Jenny and Jennifer B
Recommended to Sheri by: Walker Books website
This story is very colorful and tells the story of a dog who befriends an unlikely animal at the animal preserve. The descriptions are fun.
I would recommend it as a read aloud picture book to young children.
Jess
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dogs, friendship, 2014
I didn't really get it.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unlikely friendship between "crazy-happy" hyper dog and reticent rhino.
Serina
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
dog is lost but happy. Finds rhino an becomes friends w it even if rhino no want lol. They say made up but this has happened in real life an opens up conv for who shd b friends
Amy Hearth
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Completely charming! My little nephew is going to love this one.
Paula
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The unlikely friendship between a dog and a rhinoceros. It looks like one of those true tales but is totally made up. Wonderful expressive illustrations.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the dog's personality...funny!
Maddypictures
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A happy-go-lucky dog befriends a sober rhino. Dog is silly and loveably dumb. Wonderful artwork by Henry Cole.
Tracie
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So cute and funny! Vinnie is adorable and I'm a cat person!
Cassandra Hamilton
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-cas
Very cute book about friendship--Cassie read
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poor Bogart. He just wants to be left alone. Silly fun that captures a happy dog's internal exuberance. The illustrations elevate the text to a whole new level.
Elizabeth
I am completely in love with Vinnie the dog.

• Hickory Dickory Dog
  • Because I'm Your Dad
  • No Fits, Nilson!
  • BOOM!: Big, Big Thunder & One Small Dog
  • Dream Friends
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Chick 'n' Pug Meet the Dude
  • Ben Rides On
  • The Monstore
  • Brimsby's Hats
  • Snow Dog, Sand Dog
  • Henry's Map
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Nugget and Fang: Friends Forever--or Snack Time?
Audrey Vernick is the author of books for young readers.

Forthcoming titles:

Max Patkin picture book biography illustrated by Jenn Bower

DEAR SUBSTITUTE TEACHER, written with Liz Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Chris Raschka

TAKE YOUR OCTOPUS TO SCHOOL DAY, illustrated by Diana Schoenbrun