Start by marking “The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die

The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  9,118 ratings  ·  1,362 reviews
“Take her out back and finish her off.”

She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is, or why. All she knows when she comes to in a ransacked cabin is that there are two men arguing over whether or not to kill her.

And that she must run.

In her riveting style, April Henry crafts a nail-biting thriller involving murder, identity theft, and biological warfare. Foll
Published June 11th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die, please sign up.
April Henry Sorry, don't know why I didn't see this earlier. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a stand alone book. I have written other teen thrillers: Shock Po…moreSorry, don't know why I didn't see this earlier. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a stand alone book. I have written other teen thrillers: Shock Point, Torched, Girl Stolen, The Night She Disappeared, and The Body in the Woods. (less)
Kate Pierce Yes, it is a book I definitely recommend. If you like a good excitement and thrilling story. This is the one you want. But even if you don’t,.... stil…moreYes, it is a book I definitely recommend. If you like a good excitement and thrilling story. This is the one you want. But even if you don’t,.... still choose it anyway and I think you will end up loving it.(less)

·  9,118 ratings  ·  1,362 reviews

Start your review of The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die
Bonnie Shores
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This was a super quick read that I started while waiting to find out what my next challenge would be. I wasn't expecting much and was, therefore, pleasantly surprised.

description

Unlike all the problems I had with The Progeny, where the premise was faulty at best, Cady's story was totally believable. While she, too, had lost her memory, it was due to trauma, and this in no way prevented her from making reasonable, logic-based decisions.

The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die checks all the [read my] boxes:
+Intelli
Bonnie
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A copy of The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die was provided to me by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)/Netgalley for review purposes.

'[...]my mind shut down. Went blank. Went someplace where I wouldn't have to remember.'

What would you do if you woke up to find you had been kidnapped? What would you do if you somehow manage to escape but realize you have no idea where you were? What would you do if you didn't have any idea who you were? The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die is a riveting thriller of a girl who has
McCaid Paul
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
*3.5*

The first hundred pages are an adrenaline-fueled ride. After that there are some bumps and near-misses, and the plot speeds past the warning lights.
April Henry spins a fun—but messy— ride that leads ultimately nowhere, but was worth the thrill.
I would’ve liked if the book had been a little longer and not as rushed, especially toward the end, to give us time to fully grasp the weight of the mystery and let the suspense simmer.
Not her best, but definitely not the worst.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
After waking up in a cabin with no memory of how she got there, Cady starts to panic. Soon after regaining consciousness, she hears her captors talking hears one of them tell the other to take her out back and “finish her off”. After managing to escape, she has no idea where to go…she has no money, doesn’t remember her name, and doesn’t know what happened to her.

In her run from these men, she meets Ty, who ends up accompanying her on her journey to get to safety. What Cady does know is that she’
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
This review is going to be uncharacteristically short for me, but the book itself is pretty short, so I suppose that's fitting. Since this is going to be one of those reviews that sort of reads like I didn't like the book, let me say this up front: I did like The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die. However, I'm giving it two stars here on GR, because overall I feel like it was an okay book, not an especially good one. I'm not generally a big fan of thrillers, but I previously quite enjoyed Henry's Gir ...more
Joey T
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019-favorites
WHAT?! This book was amazing- let’s talk about this-
I loved all the characters (I mean, the ones I was supposed to love, and then I hated the characters I was supposed to hate).
The writing was great and I could hardly quit reading because of the intensity.
CONTENT:
There are a few suggestions that one character is gay, but nothing confirmed. H*** is used as a swear word a handful of times. Violence wise- a girl wakes up to find her nails have been pried off of her fingers (at least two of them).
Rachel Aranda
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, audiobooks
A solid 3.5 star rating for me. To be completely transparent this wasn't as thrilling as I was hoping it would be but it was still a good read. Also the mystery of who was bad or good was a bit too easy to figure out. That would normally be the one thing that would keep this book from being a 4 star rating for me. In this books case, I find myself remembering the plot and wanting to listen to it again. That is why I am glad I own this book and will give it a 4 star rating. I might check out more ...more
Jenni Arndt
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-own
Wow what a short, intense read this was. I wasn’t too sure going into it how I would fare with it because it was such a short novel and the first I have read from Henry, but I’m happy I gave this one a try. This one does not let up from page one and I was on the edge of my seat as Katie ran her butt off and tried her best to find out who she was and who was after her.

We catch up with Cady right in the thick of things. She wakes up beaten and bruised on the floor of a cabin and has absolutely no
Jamilah
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In April Henry’s stand alone novel, ‘The girl who was supposed to die’, the readers are introduced to the narrator Cadence Scott (Cady). At the beginning of the novel Cady is woken up by loud voices and finds herself in an abandoned, ransacked cabin. The voices she hears are of two men arguing about whether or not they should kill her. However, Cady does not recall how she found herself in this predicament. She does not have any memories of her past including her own name. Having woken up with ...more
Jane Eckstrom
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought that the book was really good. It had a bunch of twists and turns. And it made me really think," who's side am I on". But over all I thought the book," The Girl Who Was Supposed To Die" was good.
Abida's Book Adventures
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

This book got your attention from the moment you started it. It was very fast and full of action. There really wasn't a dull moment in this book.

Katie is an average girl who doesn't know who she is or where she is. All she knows, is that two guys are discussing on killing her and getting rid of her body and that she has to find a way to get out. She always had a plan or idea in her head through out the whole book. Ty is a normal guy working in his shift and finds a girl being chased and helps he

Lex
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The suspense almost killed me. Lol. It's very good!
Michelle Wrona
*3.5 star rating*

"Maybe it's because I'm average." I sniff back my tears. "Maybe it's because I'm like everyone else." Ty rolls his eyes. "I may not know you very well, but I'll tell you one thing: You aren't like anyone else."

Girl, Stolen was an amazing book. I couldn't wait for more from this daring, new author that's sure to leave thousands of other readers stunned with her plot-twisting mysteries. The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die wasn't as good as April Henry's other book, but it was some
Wren
This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

She wakes up to two men arguing over whether or not to end her life. She doesn't know her name, she doesn't know where she is, and she doesn't know why one of her fingernails has been pried off of her hand.

She manages to escape, but her ordeal is far from over. As she investigates herself, who she is, and what is going on, she gets help from an acquaintance who is determined to solve this mystery with her. Only one thing
Martha Guarisco
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another thriller from April Henry! A complete page turner. I wouldn't recommend this to all of my readers; it was pretty intense and scary at times, but if you like non-stop action from the first paragraph, this is the book for you.

I loved Ty and so much want to believe that people like him exist in the world. My hope is that he's based on someone real, someone who's out there having a successful, happy life.
K.
Trigger warnings: amnesia, torture, death, violence, death of a parent (in the past), (view spoiler), fire.

When I finished this last night, I gave it 3.5 stars but on reflection I'm bumping it down to 3 purely because the plot went to some bonkers places that I didn't see coming and it was a pretty weird choice for a YA book tbh.

So this girl wakes up with no memories, right? And there are two guys talking about how they're going to kill
Berit☀️✨
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, 2017
This is a book that started out with a bang and ended with a puff....

In the beginning I was super curious to find out what was going on, who was this girl, and what had happened... but then the reveal left me disappointed I guess.... also it was kind of abrupt, what happens now? What happens between Cady and Ty? This book was short but not as satisfying as it could have been....
Karen
I could not put this book down for about 2/3 of the way through; I read half of it in one sitting. It is a short book though so maybe that was not a huge win I was so excited to find a book that might be a top read for me this year. I have really liked April Henry's adult books but this fizzled out quite a bit at 2/3rd the way done and was so anti-climatic it ruined the ambiance of the story. So I gave it a 3 for this reason when I expected to give it a five. It still was a much better book than ...more
Indi
Act now. Be.

My mind shut down. Went blank. Went somewhere I wouldn’t have to remember. Even when they pulled out my fingernails, it wouldn’t come back.

She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is. And she doesn’t know what has happened to her. All she knows is that two guys want to kill her. So she must run.

I really enjoyed this book, it was interesting and really reached out and grabbed me. I liked the beginning, a girl who has lost her memory and people are out to kill her.
Jenn
The Girl who was Supposed to Die starts off as this creepy thriller where you trust no one and question everything. Imagine waking up somewhere you don’t know with two people who you also don’t know discussing whether or not they should kill you. You’d be pretty freaked out, right? Oh, and what about seeing your fingernails not attached to your fingers? *shudders* I was instantly pulled in.

Who was this girl? Who were these people who held her? What information did she have? Why did they want tha
Irene McHugh
I discovered April Henry on the shelves of the middle school library where I work. Her website tagline is “I kill people, but only on paper.” Muh-wah-ha-ha! Immediately, I was doling her books out to students to see if they liked her style. After a few positive reviews came back, I decided to buy a couple of her books on Audible.

The narrator for this particular novel was fairly awful. Instead of sounding like a teenage girl, her intonation came closer to mimicking Siri. She didn’t sound like a m
Lexi Holmes
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book I ready was "The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die," by April Henry. This book is action packed and I would most definitely recommend this book to others. This book is best suited for an audience around the ages of 13 and above. The book begins with the main character, so called Katie inn the beginning, in a cabin in the middle of the woods. She has been kidnapped and she is in pain. Katie doesn't remember who she is or what happened to her. All she knows is that she is on a hard floor, som ...more
Madison.
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books that I have ever read! The story line and the plot is so interesting! I love the way the author explains all the scenes with so much detail. The one thing I would maybe change about this book would be the beginning of the story it was just confusing to understand when we are going to get more information or details about were the girl is! But other then that it was a great book!
Andrea
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
Really enjoyed this one - very quick, very suspenseful read. I could have read it in one sitting, but life got in the way...I liked the shorter chapters (which allows for easier reading, in my opinion!)
Julie Suzanne
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Crime thriller--very popular in my middle school library. I started reading this with an ESL student who asked me to read a book with her to improve her reading and English. We read for 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week, sharing the read-aloud 50/50. We would get so passionate with our opinions, predictions and speculation. I think we both really looked forward to reading time! Unfortunately, it took forever due to state testing and end-of-year field trips interfering with the schedule, and at the ...more
Brittany (brittreads)
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm trying to be more tough with my high ratings. Only giving 5 stars to books that just blow me away.

I was not expecting this book to be what it was. I honestly expected it to be just another typical YA book but oh fricken boy was I wrong.

Not many books keep me up past my bedtime, my sleep is important. I think this was the second? Maybe third book to ever do that.

I gave myself some time to think of what I would change in this book, and I can't think of a single thing. I'm happily giving this
Sophie
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly a great book I would recommend it for sure. This book can get intense so don't read it if you aren't comfortable with that. It leaves you in suspense about the full truth right up until the end, when it all comes together piece by piece. It is about a girl who has lost her memory due to a tragic thing in her life. She doesn't remember anything from before she woke up on a hard floor. As she struggles to regain her memory everything unravels.
Evelyn Mendoza
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry is now one of my favorite books. I love everything from the begging to the end. The story is about a girl who wakes up unconscious and doesn't remember ANYTHING. She doesn't know who she is, who her family is, or anything. My favorite part of the whole book would have to be when she has to look like boy so the people who are following her won't recognize her. The part I sort of struggled to understand is when she steps into her house with her so c ...more
Ciana Arnone
It was a very suspenseful book. It made you think one thing was going to happen but something else worse happened.
Tasneem
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm stunned! words cant describe this book 6/5 that's how good it was. I had to read this book for school and to be honest I was not expecting it to be so great and boy was I wrong. Its unpredictable so you just "keep reading just keep reading" (Dory... no.. no one gets it). You can read it in one sitting. I promise you guys you wont be disappointed. :)
Book Review and Summary The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die 1 3 Oct 11, 2018 02:44PM
YA Book Cafe : The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry 1 3 Jan 18, 2018 01:27PM

• To Catch a Killer (Erin Blake #1)
  • Dead Girls Don't Lie
  • Forget Me
  • Lie to Me
  • Famous Last Words
  • What Waits in the Woods
  • Breaking Beautiful
  • Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story)
  • Girl in a Bad Place
  • The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall
  • The Killing Woods
  • Six Months Later
  • The Memory Keeper
  • The Cellar (The Cellar, #1)
I write mysteries and thrillers. I live in Portland, Oregon with my family.

If you've read one of my books, I would love to hear from you. Hearing from readers makes me eager to keep writing.

When I was 12, I sent a short story about a six-foot tall frog who loved peanut butter to Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. He liked it so much he arranged to have it published in an