Start by marking “Fine Boys” as Want to Read:
Fine Boys

Fine Boys

In his second novel, Eghosa Imasuen presents the everyday life of a Nigerian university student against the backdrop of the pro-democracy riots of the 1980s and ‘90s, the lost hopes of June 12th, and the terror of the Abacha years.
Published July 26th 2012 by Farafina and Worldreader (first published May 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fine Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fine Boys

Karanja
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Never having lived in Nigeria or knowing (other than what we studied in broad history books) the strife of the period within which the book is set, I didn't expect it to be such an easy read. While some of the scenarios painted are entirely foreign to me, the humanity of the camaraderie between the characters made it quite relatable. This is a delightful book that has left me wanting to know more about the space, time and places that inspired it. Well done Eghosa!
Nneka Ngene
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book took me back to boarding school days except with a lot more freedom. I love the pace, the camaraderie between Ewaen and his boys and most of all, the banter. This book made me laugh so hard. It's a very heartfelt read and I highly recommend it.
Dami Ajayi
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Fine Boys follows a character steadfastly through its entire course. The novel is a coming-of-age tale of a teenager who narrates his initiation into real life at the university after being divested of the protective cocoon of family. His experiences are colorfully charted from his first sexual intercourse to his first cigarette and bottle of beer. His story is framed after that of every Nigerian who attended tertiary institutions in the 90s. The growing spate of cult groups and its attendant pr ...more
Kalejaiye Anuoluwapo
My two star rating is a bit misleading. It is not that I don't like the book but I don't feel like it is a three star book for me. It took me a while to get into it and the book only started for me at about page 200. The best part of this book was the last 3-5 chapters. The book read more like a story being told. I don't know how to rate this book. It reminded me so much about university but then at times it got boring. People were described 10 000 times over and over again and I understand why ...more
Chinenye Ikwueme
So after reading Joy Isibiwi's 'What Pain May Bring', I can say I have read another witty colloquial Nigerian novel which I utterly enjoyed. This is d shortest period I have read a book in a while. Worth my money n time
Димитър Тодоров
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Помните ли еуфоричните юлски нощи, когато Пеневата чета биеше наред на световното 1994, а ние се събирахме на Аптека на масова какафония от клаксони с развети знамена в бяло, зелено и червено, а? (а после пиехме кафе на караваната зад Александър Невски)

В тази книга откриваме и обратната страна: „В първия мач Нигерия направи България на пух и прах с 3:0. Чудесен ден беше! Никой, даже от онези, които кокетно се преструваха, че не се вълнуват от футбол, не можеше да удържи на еуфорията. Знамена в
Literary Everything
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fine Boys reads like an autobiographical account of a coming of age period in the life of a young person. Narrated from the point of view of the protagonist, Ewaen, the book is very detailed about the day-to-day life of its subjects and nothing is off limit. It is written in a relaxed, humorous though heartfelt manner and will connect with most Nigerians who can easily understand the lingo and mannerisms described in the book. Read the full review here https://literaryeverything.com/2018/0...
Ijeoma Wogu
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The voice, the story, the storytelling, the emotion. All of it. Five years later I still think this is the best book I have ever read.
Oniye
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Glorious coming of age story that chronicles university life in Nigeria.
Kachifo
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eghosa Imasuen has written a fantastic book which you must hurry to read. Fine Boys, as a coming of age story and so much more. It the story of Nigerian youth, the story of a period in the life of a nation. The story of the years of the meltdown, when Nigeria spiraled out of control politically and economically.

Fine Boys take the reader through the experiences of a group of young men as they begin university. Friendships are formed. Experiences are shared. They quarrel and make up. They fall in
Lade Tawak
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book.
The storyline is interesting and it is very well written.

The best thing for me is that it's a book about Nigeria that isn't based in Lagos or Abuja or on the Civil War.
It's a story about something that isn't really spoken off and set somewhere that nobody really talks about.

It's a great read and I'd recommend it to anyone really.
Florida Uzoaru
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I marvellous improvement on his last book. I loved d story cos it felt so real to me, even though I truthfully ddnt experience - to any appreciable extent at any rate - cultists at school. It was all the horror story one heard in school brought to life, more or less. Good one
Mofe
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it
While the Author's effort to craft a coming of age novel amidst the Military chaos of the Nineties is commendable. The style, language, allusions and imagery of the writer still leave a lot to be desired for. Like the young boys in his novel the author's writing still has a lot of maturing to do.
Seun Omo
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
As an FGC Warri alum, Fine Boys deeply resonated with me. Fine boys was fun to read and quite engaging. Although, I never had the privilege of attending the University, Efosa's description filled in the gap for me.

Definitely..... Worth reading!!!!
Sokoto
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story.
Kemi looves 2 read
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Goodreads should really include a half star as part of their rating scale. This book is more 2.5* than 2*. The paperback copy I read was 379 pages too long.
Diana M
Timendu
Aug 01, 2013
Dylan Groves
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
brilliant book by a very cool dude.
Bob
Nov 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Great African Reads: Imasuen: Fine Boys | (CL) first read: July 2015 6 23 Aug 19, 2015 03:38AM

• Forest of a Thousand Daemons: A Hunter's Saga
  • The Birds Fall Down
  • The Education of a British-Protected Child: Essays
  • The Poetic Species: A Conversation with Edward O. Wilson and Robert Hass
  • Search Sweet Country
Nigerian novelist, medical doctor, Warri boy, father and husband. Latest novel is Fine Boys.