Start by marking “The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery

The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery

(Doctor Who E-Books)

The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Story is an ebook based on a story partially told in British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

The book, fictionally written by River Song under the detective pen-name Melody Malone. It was featured in the episode "The Angels Take Manhattan", with The Doctor reading it.

The story of "The Angels Take Manhattan" is formed in The
Published October 4th 2012 by BBC Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Angel's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel's Kiss

Start your review of The Angel's Kiss: A Melody Malone Mystery
Megan Lavey-Heaton
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, ebook
"The Angel's Kiss" is everything I ever wanted in a solo River Song story. The sass. Her brains. The sass. Guns. The references to the Doctor and her life, which I thought were fantastic. The sass. You can tell this was deliberately hyped up in a pulp fiction manner, but the core of it is all River Song. If you're a fan of River, you're going to love this story. You can hear Alex Kingston's voice in your head as the narration goes along, and it ties in extremely well into "The Angels Take ...more
Amy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Before I read this I was completely aware that it wasn’t the same book that’s in the episode, The Angels Take Manhattan. I’m wasn’tsure what it was intended to be…a prequel or something completely different. Nevertheless, I was disappointed.

Reading the first chapter, I had to stop part way through just to laugh. I thought the writing was terrible. It felt rushed to me and it didn’t capture the essence of River Song. As a huge fan of River Song, I would expect a better story from her. I
Danica
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely perfect, brilliant, sassy and so so RIVER. MY LORD, I could hear her voice when I was reading the dialogue. It was a fantastic read and I couldn't get over all of the flirting and the sass and the pure wit sprinkled throughout. Did I mention the SASS? This was exactly what I wanted in a solo River book and I am so pleased that I wasn't disappointed.

I have three wishes concerning this book:

1.) I wish I could have a hard copy
2.) I wish it was longer
3.) I wish we could get an
Jim C
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story that is part of the Doctor Who universe. This one does not have the Doctor as River Song is the main character and is a prequel to the episode "Angels Take Manhattan". In this one, a prominent movie star asks Melody for her help as he believes that someone is trying to kill him. Since this universe rarely believes in an old fashioned mystery there is more to it than that.

I know my rating is harsh and I struggled with giving it. It was surprising too because right away I was
Nadia
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be, I still enjoyed reading it as a very short book (I doubt I would have wanted to read much more of it if it was a fully length novel). The character portrayed isn't the River I know and love, she didn't seem as smart and made far too many egotistical remarks.

The story was okay, although not without it's imperfections, but the reason I rate it so poorly is because of the writing. The writer may have captured the 'sass' of River but that
Rebecca Cartwright-Teakle
Shelves: 2012
Review
This is pretty much a perfect book. I was not expecting much from it but it had me hooked from the very first page and was absolutely hilarious.
The character of River was captured perfectly and I could see and hear Alex Kingston in every line. The prose was so tightly constructed that there was almost a joke or a double meaning in every sentence. It isn’t just that it was a good story, the control the author had over each word was amazing.
I don’t imagine that many non-Whovians will read
LillyBooks
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
River Song is my favorite Doctor Who character, and she just may be the perfect woman. She is smart, sexy, and sassy, and she's not afraid if the entire universe to knows it. She's also a hopeless romantic, but her love is reserved for only man. This book is the only stand-alone River Song story in the Doctor Who universe and it's just about perfect. The tone, the syntax, the vocabulary, it's all spot-on. The only reasons I'm not giving it five stars are 1) it's too short, and 2) the "mystery" ...more
Megan
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read, or listen as I listened to the audio version. I loved hearing Alex reading the story, it brought a lot more to it. She did a great job not only with Melody but with the other characters as well, I loved all the different voices she was able to do.

The story though, while good and pretty enjoyable, wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Still glad I listened to it and I liked learning a bit more of what Melody was doing in New York before The Angels Take Manhattan.

I would
Duckpondwithoutducks
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This unique Doctor Who novella is a direct tie-in to The Angels Take Manhattan, episode 5 of Season 7 of Doctor Who. A book featuring Melody Malone is an integral part of that story. But just to clarify, this novella is the events leading up to the beginning of that DW episode that happened to Melody Malone. The novella does not retell the events of the television episode. The novella ends right around the line that the Doctor first reads in the episode:
"My stocking seams were straight, my
Philippa
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
To be honest I hadn't really read the synopsis when I bought this book, so initially I had expected it to be the book the Doctor was reading in The Angels Take Manhattan. When I started reading it and realised that this wasn't the case, I was pleasantly surprised. It is actually a prequel, if you will, of the episode. If you're a fan of River Song, which I am, then this is the book for you. It's 100% sass and sexy, and very much in-character. I could definitely hear Alex Kingston's voice in my ...more
Blair
Cute, fun, funny, and very short ebook to tie in with the Doctor Who episode The Angels Take Manhattan. Very in keeping with the character of River Song - I loved the witty way it was written and the narrative did a very good job of combining the atmosphere of a noirish, pulpy mystery with near-constant wisecracks and puns. There probably won't be any more of these but if they were written, I would certainly read them!
Noelle Walsh
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is everything a solo River Song story should be: full of sass, River's trademark gun and personality! I can't tell you how much I loved reading this book! I know I'll be reading this book again and again, especially now post-Name of The Doctor! And it's River! Who doesn't love River?
Tria
Alex Kingston, naturally, narrates the audiobook for this story voiced by her character, River Song, who poses as Melody Malone to tell the tale of The Angel's Kiss, and as always, her talent shines through to make it a better story than it might have been, were it told in a different voice. To have a TV-tie-in audiobook completely voiced by the first-person narrator is an unusual thing, but it works very well for this.

The story itself isn't particularly strong, as I've said in my review of the
Dan
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
This short e-book is a prequel to the Series 7 Doctor Who episode "The Angels Take Manhattan". It's narrated by River Song in her guise of New York detective Melody Malone. It's actually written by Justin Richards who is the lead writer in the book range, though this is very different from any other Doctor Who book.

The story sees Melody Malone investigate when a movie star pays her a visit worrying for his life then appears to forget it ever happened the next day. It's more a story of human
Ravencrantz
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, timey-wimey
I think this was the only eBook I actually bought from Amazon. Once I learned that they were actually releasing this book, I had to find and read it.

It was so easy to slip into River's--ahem, I mean Melody's voice and it had that wonderful sassiness that she pulls off so well. It was a very quick read, and I really wouldn't recommend it to those who aren't Whovians. She drops a lot of hints as to who she really is and her time traveling days, but you really wouldn't catch them if you weren't
Riina Y.T.
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
I very much enjoyed the familiarity in the character, Melody Melone aka River Song. It was perfectly written in my opinion and the flow was very well to read. There are many very very brilliant lines that just made this book very enjoyable and much River/Doctor-like.

On a personal level I give this book 5 Stars because I simply enjoyed reading it. If it really deserves 5 stars based on the story etc, that I am not sure of.

It is a very short book, seemed a bit fast paced BUT the story turned out
Charlene
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Even though this book is affiliated with the TV show Doctor Who, it works pretty well as a standalone story - if you have a slight understanding of the show's baddies The Weeping Angels. It reads as a typical hard-boiled detective novel set in the 1930s, with Melody Malone's hilarious wit and way with words. As it says in the book and in the TV show, "She's got ice in her heart, and a kiss on her lips." and she is totally delightful - Melody's personality is wonderfully brought to life in this ...more
Victoria
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
*4.5*
Love River Song. Love Melody Malone. Favorite character in Doctor Who (besides the Doctor obviously).
The author did a great job with her dialogue. Could hear her voice in my head when I read the dialogue. There were only a few spots where I said 'really?' to the dialogue choice.
Only wish it was longer!
Madeline Gannon
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Edited review because my first one was too rant-y. (Man, it felt good to publish it for a minute though...)

To say this was a disappointing read would be a pretty big understatement. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, and Riversong is one of my favorite characters. On top of that, the angels are BY FAR my favorite DW villain, and I absolutely loved the Angels in Manhattan episode. This should have been an insta-fav for me! But my goodness...what an annoying slog.

Here are my main criticisms:

-- It reads
Meg
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I caught a reflection of myself in the glass of the door as it opened. Just a flash, as I swing my legs off the desk. Just a quick glimpse to assure myself that everything was buttoned and unbuttoned in the best places and pointing in the right direction." Melody Malone, or more appropriately Melody Pond, best known as River Song steams right off the page in full-on "Hello, sweetie!" persona. A tongue-in-(someone-else's-)cheek private detective thrilled by the case she's been offered by the ...more
Nathan
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't think I'm alone in saying that River Song is not my favorite Doctor Who character (the Doctor is, duh! lol). For some reason the developments during seasons 5 and 6 have put a real bad taste in my mouth for her. She's a great character, but I don't like how they've related her to Amy/Rory. It bothers me.

But, anyway, I want to say that this book has reminded me why I like her character. It doesn't really matter where she came from, she's still hilarious. This book does well showcasing her
Callie Rose Tyler
This book is a prequel to the Doctor Who episode –Angels in Manhattan, which is not exactly what I was expecting but I was still every entertained. The last line or two of this story are the lines we hear read by the Doctor to Amy at the start of the Angles episode. I was expecting to read about events that happened during the episode but I think that what I got was something better since it is probably more interesting to read about the events leading up to the episode than rereading events ...more
Rebecca Timberlake
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is maybe a 3.5 rounded to 4 stars more than a solid 4 stars. But that's not because I didn't like it. No, it's because I wish there had been more. But of course, this is more of a prequel to the Angels Take Manhattan episode, not the full story. Remember the rule Eleven explained, once you read it, you can't change it? In theory, you could read this, then watch the episode, and have the complete plot.

The Melody Malone character in the book isn't exactly the River Song we know and love. But
Jane
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An over-the-top celebration of noir and the assets of Melody Malone aka Melody Williams aka River Song. Alex Kingston makes the most of every pun and double entendre. There is no depth here, but I enjoyed listening to her read this silly story. If you are a fan of Doctor Who, River Song, and Alex Kingston, you will probably find it a diverting hour and forty-five minutes. Otherwise I suspect you just won’t get it.
Rob
Entertaining for all Whovians

This book is a loose tie in to the Eleventh Doctor episode - The Angels Take Manhattan. I was a little disappointed it wasn't a direct tie in. For example the chapter names don't match those of the book used in the episode. There is also no hand breaking here.

What you do get is a great little adventure staring River Song and a Weeping Angel. This could have been an early draft of what became the episode we saw on TV. Very entertaining!
Tracey
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well. Okay. First of all, I rather enjoyed this. It had some fun moments, and Alex Kingston's reading was worth the price of admission, not perfect but quite a bit of fun. But what I wanted, what I really wanted, was what was featured in "The Angels Take Manhattan". That wasn't this.
Robyn Dickerson
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little read

Not gonna lie, for some reason I thought this little story would lead to the book in the episode and was slightly disappointed, but I still enjoyed it very much!
Kim
Pretty disappointing. I really don't think I'll bother with any Doctor Who books again.
Melanie
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this "River Song" narrated tale. Full of all the pithy one liners you would expect. A total guilty pleasure cheese fest! V""V
Michael Herd
The third star is more due to the potential the story had, than what it provides. River Song is captured decently, and the story is entertaining enough (in a filler or web episode kind of way).. But I can't really give more praise than that, and even those two points aren't all that solid.

As I said, River is done alright, but her inner thoughts are a bit repetitive, on top of being too focused on her sex appeal. It's a bit much when she references how confident she is in her looks and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Doctor Who: Eleven Doctors, Eleven Stories
  • Doctor Who: Engines of War
  • Doctor Who: Touched By An Angel
  • Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #6)
  • Doctor Who: Only Human
  • Doctor Who: Beautiful Chaos
  • Doctor Who: The Day She Saved the Doctor: Four Stories from the TARDIS
  • The Diary of River Song: Series 1
  • Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
  • The Diary of River Song: Series 2
  • Doctor Who: The Story of Martha (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #28)
  • Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more

Doctor Who E-Books (3 books)
  • Doctor Who: Devil in the Smoke
  • Doctor Who: Summer Falls
“I sat with my feet up on my desk and started to make a mental list of the people who’d want me dead. Once I got to fifty, I decided this wasn’t helping.” 50 likes
“I am Melody Malone, with ice in my heart and a kiss on my lips. In the city that never sleeps and should never blink, mysteries are my business.” 37 likes