Start by marking “His Impassioned Proposal (Bridgethorpe Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Impassioned Proposal (Bridgethorpe Brides, #1)

His Impassioned Proposal

(Bridgethorpe Brides #1)

The wounded hero comes home.

Six years she has waited for the man she hopes to marry to return from war and propose to her. When he finally does, he is so far in his cups as to not remember the event the next morning! Miss Jane Marwick can't decide if she has wasted her heart on the wrong man or if he just needs some time to recover from too many life-changing events.

Stephe
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 96 pages
Published September 26th 2012 by Amazon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about His Impassioned Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Impassioned Proposal

LadyCalico
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The author is obviously a talented wordsmith, as long as you don't stop to consider what a totally selfish scrunt the heroine is. Jane was such a dipstick that she ruined any other good points the story had and really necessitates a whole new category of despicable romance heroines below the Too Dumb To Live stereotype--one that includes at least one swear word. Wounded warrior, Stephen, drags his pain-wracked body home expecting a joyous homecoming and finds out that his home had just burned, k ...more
QNPoohBear
Stephen Lumley has returned from the wars scarred in body and scarred in spirit. He arrives at Bridgethorpe to see his family only to learn that his parents perished in a devastating fire the day before. He had hoped to marry the beautiful Jane Marwick, his childhood friend and neighbor, but now has has nothing to offer. His depression makes him drink too much and when Jane finds him having a pity party for one in his uncle's study, she is not amused. Jane tries to make Stephen be sensible and s ...more
Betty
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stephen returns from the war after having been seriously injured to find that his father and mother had died in a house fire that day. He was overtaken with grief and tried to drown it with drink. He was very much under the influence when in walked his 'true love' Jane. She was upset to see him in this condition and they had words. He very clumsily proposed to her which she found insulting and she left.
Stephen woke the next day to learn what he had done. He went to Jane's house to speak with
Becca
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I agree with reviewer lola4. This story just did not grab me like the others because the heroine was so unbelievably unsympathetic. The only thing she can think about is receiving a romantic proposal from a guy she hasn't seem since she was 14, and when the guy comes back from 6 years of war, scarred and weary, only to learn his parents died in a fire and his home is destroyed, and she expects him to spout pretty words?! Are you insane? The poor guy can barely take it all in and the heroine is t ...more
Patricia
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
DO NOT DRINK AND PROPOSE..........
The young, recently returned from war to find his parents dead, scarred (and scared) David Lumley is intent on drinking himself to a haze, when the woman he loves interrupts him. unfortunately, alcohol does have a tendancy to lower inhibitions, and he makes a total -- well, let's just say, he really hurts his chances.
The characters are loveable and well-filled, the locales nicely described. I was very impressed, for example, with the description of the burnt ho
Veera
Oct 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I'm sad to say I was bored to tears. Jumbled in historical detail and language, nothing really caught my attention. The only redeeming feature was the scarred hero, and even this perk wasn't played to full effect.
Paola andFrancesca
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Aileen Fish is really talented at world building, so I'm not sure why she wrote this as a novella without the space to develop the romance between the wounded war hero Captain Lumley and his childhood friend Jane Marwick. The manufactured obstacle preventing Jane from accepting Lumley ((view spoiler)) wasn't really necessary, since they hadn't seen each other for two years and had ...more
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
I love stories that have a wounded hero returning home and this one was good. I liked how everyone was like a huge family and knew that they were meant to be together and tried to help. It covers a few months, but it's not jumpy and flows nicely.

Jane is a sweet girl that has always loved Stephen, but something she witnessed in the past and seeing him drunks causes fear to come between them. I liked her, but also didn't like her because she kind of played with him by going back and forth.

Stephen
Maggie Hesseling
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
To tell the truth, I was a little disappointed with this novella. Perhaps, because it was a novella. It felt as if it was too quick to draw to a close and that there could have been so much more to tell. I realize that this is just a precursor to the rest of the Brigethorpe Brides series, but I really liked these characters, and I felt as if I wasn't getting the whole story. I really like the way Fish tells a story though, so I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Molly
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love historical romance and this book didn't disappoint me. From the first page I loved Stephen and he has so much to overcome, but before he can catch his breath from all that has happened while he at war, his childhood love, Jane, enters the room and nothing else matters. If only she had stayed away until he was sober and ready to face the world, so they could be together once and for all.
I hope you read it I really enjoyed it.
Kyra Dunst
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very well written romance. When Stephen is drowning his sorrows, and in his cups, he botches the long awaited proposal to his childhood love, Jane. She has had a bad experience with a drunken man, and suddenly finds herself questioning the man she thought she knew. It is up to Stephen to earn her love all over again.
Elaine
A lovely HEA, but wasn't Jane whiney - poor Stephen. Have read better from AF, but still a nice short story.
As a footnote: I was pleasantly surprised with the kindle edition cover. It actually corresponds with the story - blonde-haired Jane and patch-wearing Stephen.
I love it when this happens (not often enough though).
Wenk
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet Clean Romance Series

This series was inventive and a pleasure to read and since it is cleAn with no sex I recommend it for all age groups. I first read Aileen Fish stories in the Danby Duke Anthologies and loved them! _Barbie
Kristen
A fluffy regency read. Short and cute. I didn't feel like I was cheated out of a story so good for a novella.

Moral Note: Some drunken behavior, and talk of spousal/child abuse.
Carshena
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an ok read

The story was just umm. The Hermione was whiney and childish and really started to get on my nerves. But I enjoyed the writing.
Geri Walton
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Good quick and interesting read. Only criticism was the ending seemed too quick.
Kbee
Glad it wasn't to long to get to the end. If not for Stephen and his side of the story I wouldn't have read it to the end.
Leila R. Frey
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting read.

This was an ok book. missing some minor details, or backstory. Not bad otherwise!
Will look forward to more in the series.
Kelee Pacion
Apr 25, 2016
Lindsey
Jan 01, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 10:18AM

• A Night Of Forever (Night, #1.5)
  • Rockwell's Lady
  • The Devil to Pay (The Devilish Devalles, #1)
  • To Sin with Scandal
  • The Defiant Governess (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • Lady Sophia's Rescue
  • A Promise of Thunder (Horizon Set, #2)
  • Lord Fool to the Rescue
  • Storm on the Horizon (Storm, #1)
  • Heart's Desire
  • A Lady Undone: A Pirate's Captive
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • Madness (The Rakehell Regency, #16)
  • Little Miss Independent
  • The Devil You Know (The Devil DeVere #3)
  • The Bride of Devil's Acre
  • Brandywine (The Brocade #1)
  • Silverhawk

Bridgethorpe Brides (8 books)
  • The Incorrigible Mr. Lumley (Bridgethorpe Brides, #2)
  • Charming the Vicar's Daughter (The Bridgethorpe Brides Book 3)
  • Her Impetuous Rakehell (The Bridgethorpe Brides Book 4)
  • One Last Season (The Bridgethorpe Brides Book 5)
  • Captivated by the Wallflower
  • Chasing Lord Mystery (Danby Summons)
  • Captain Lumley's Angel (The Bridgethorpe Brides Book 7)