Start by marking “Skinny Bitch in Love” as Want to Read:
Skinny Bitch in Love

Skinny Bitch in Love

(Skinny Bitch #1)

From the coauthor of the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestselling Skinny Bitch lifestyle series—a clever, kick-ass novel about friendship, romance, and making healthy choices both in and out of the kitchen.

Clementine Cooper is a born vegan, committed in every way to the healthy lifestyle she was raised with on her father’s organic farm. But how bad could a little butter be
Published June 4th 2013 by Gallery Books (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Bitch in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Bitch in Love

Peacegal
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-gifts
Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't give a second glance to a book with a title like this, as romance is decidedly not my genre. However, vegan main characters are still rare enough in fiction that I try to read every book that I come across. Even if it's a romance--yikes!

As for the story itself, it is well-written and will be entertaining to fans of the genre. I found myself getting frustrated with all of the characters who pursued romance with people who treated them like crap, but I suppos
Linda
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Arc from net galley and Gallery books for an honest review.

Loved it, a fun light read a little of everything, humor, drama and romance!

Clementine Cooper was born and raised on an organic farm and as a result has an appreciation for fresh foods and a vegan based diet. Clementine has attended the top vegan culinary school and has spent the past few years working her way up from basic prep work to sous chef at one f L.A. Top vegan restaurant and the chef and owner has just given her a chance at her
Beth
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having a meal sabotaged by a co-worker, in the classy upscale vegan restaurant Fresh, could have been the end of twenty six year old Clementine Cooper’s career. With the support of a few of her friends, Clementine picks herself up and starts a vegan cooking class and prepared vegan food service called Skinny Bitch.

Clementine dreams of starting her own vegan restaurant in the space across the street from her apartment when a steakhouse buys out the building. Upset that her dream has been crushed
Terri
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great fun for Vegan folks but for those who aren't, prepare to be preached to and insulted in every chapter. The main characters entire identity is wrapped around the Vegan lifestyle and promoting it, which is great, unless yours is not. It was extremely hard to relate to such a judgemental character, and as a reader, I felt belittled at every turn.

On the other hand, I learned a lot about Vegan food and the advantages of such a diet. If being Vegan is your thing, this book will inspire you. Unfo
Sofia Lazaridou
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I hated the on and off relationship Zach and Clem had. They must have broken up at least 10 times. They didn't seem to understand each other enough to work out but their connection was the glue that kept them together. Clem sets straight the facts from the beginning. She wants to open her own restaurant and she is going to do it. Not all her actions and decisions were good or right but then again everyone makes mistakes. Zach seems half the time an a-hole and half time sweet and boyfriend materi ...more
Monica
I can't believe I finished this entire book. They should have said the author's name is Preachy McPreacherton. We get that you're a vegan, lady. You don't have to expound on it every two seconds. I would like to point out that you CAN include things like meat, sugar, and flour in your diet and still be healthy. Your way of life is not the only way, okay? Aside from all the vegan pontificating, this story is predictable and mundane. I wouldn't recommend this for a collection.
Kris Patrick
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I like my heroines a little more self-deprecating and a lot more flawed.
Jess
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for_review
Review for books 1 & 2 in this series posted here: Happily Ever After - Reads

I’m combining my reviews for the 2 books in the Skinny Bitch series Skinny Bitch In Love & Skinny Bitch Gets Hitched (so don't read beyond the first review, clearly marked if you don't want to hear about book 2 as well). I feel like together, they read really as one book, more on that a little later, but first up, book #1.

Skinny Bitch In Love

Clementine is a vegan chef and believe me, you’ll get hit over the head
Heidi
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Three Stars: An informative book on veganism.

Clementine puts the finishing touches on her perfect vegan dish. It is now ready to be served to the renowned food critic. When the dish comes back after only one bite, Clementine is horrified. Turns out, someone in the kitchen sabotaged her by adding butter to her vegan cuisine. Clementine is fired on the spot, and her name is blacklisted among all the vegan restaurants. Determined to succeed, Clementine enlists the help of her roommate Sarah and she
Justin Melter
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Firstly I must say that this was a Goodreads First-Reads Winner! Thank you very much to Kim Barnouin & Simon and Schuster Canada for letting me read this book!

While reading this book I constantly thought to myself how similar this is to various television shows. Should you read it you will understand, for now please forgive the few references!

I must say that if you are a not a female or perhaps a slightly effeminate male please steer clear. This clearly is meant to be directed towards a fema
VBergen
May 12, 2014 rated it did not like it

I read this book curious because I read "Skinny Bitch" and it was nice enough.
The vegan preaching in this novel is not that annoying for me because I'm vegetarian but I understand if a meat eater feels the book maddening.

The unbearable part of the book is the main character:
- An arrogant (I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-vegan) snob vegan cook who repeats constantly the skinny, shiny or tight clothes she wears that make her look 'gorgeous'.
- Everywhere in the book she talks about her vegan sc
Crystal Marie
May 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think I am like most readers when it comes to picking out novels, if the title sounds interesting, you can count on me to read it! And with a title like “Skinny Bitch in Love”, of course I’m going to want to find out about this book.
First off, let me say that I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Everything that I do say here is my personal opinion, so if I offend you I am truly sorry.
While the title of this book lead me to believe that it was goin
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Clementine has just about hit the pinnacle of being a vegan chef, when at only twenty-six, she is sent in to cook for the ill chef and THE main LA critic is coming into review the restaurant. All goes well until she is sabotaged by a fellow worker who adds a bit of unauthorized butter into a sauce. The whole staff is fired and Clem in blackballed. Not wanting to give up her Santa Monica lifestyle, she decides to start a cooking school and meal service. Her first client is the
Tara
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemp-rom
ARC provided by NetGalley

My rating - 3 1/2 star

This is my first ARC and I was very excited when my approval came through.

Firstly, I am not familiar with the cook books made popular by Kim Barnouin (which I don't think has any relevance if you wanted to read this book). Secondly, I kind of want to try some of the vegan food mentioned in this book.

This was a light hearted read so if you were looking for a break between some of your more heavier emotional romantic novels this could be a good pick.
Rubysbooks
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before I start my review, let me say that I am not a vegan/vegetarian. I don't judge those of you who are, but I am not a vegan. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

The first thing that drew me to this book was, quite honestly, the cover. You know I like cartoonish covers, so it's not that surprising. I thought it was a fun cover and after reading the blurb I was convinced I had to read the book. Plus, you all know just how much I love chick lit.

I loved Clem. She was like a breath of fresh ai
Emlikescake
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
I knew this was going to be... not great... but I'm sick and needed a trashy book to read in bed.

I wanted mindless drivel. Instead, I got the written equivalent of talking to an annoying vegan you've just met at a party and they're all, "I'm a vegan and veganism is awesome and carnivores are monsters and gluten is super bad for you and boo smoking and yay hot yoga and judge judge judge." You know the ones? The preachier, holier-than-thou vegans? Yeah. Them. Essentially that's the main character
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
**Provided by Netgalley and Gallery Books for an honest review**

I must say that I was disappointed by this book. The book title and the book blurb held such promise.

I felt completely preached to about vegan ways and the was far too much info regarding the foods and recipes used. It definitely felt more like a half assed book talking just about food with a few other story details twisted into with a romance that seemed to fall more or less flat rather than sizzle like you would have hoped.

I would
Samien
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
As a foodie, this is a good read with some romance thrown in. There were no smutty scenes, so if you are looking for a hot read, this is not it, in my opinion. It was a page turner for me because I had to find out how it ended.

You learn about how Clem grew up vegan, how she builds her Skinny Bitch empire, and how she looks for love after having her heart broken. Does she chose the one who is right for her, or the one who makes her toes tingle?

Alice
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Holy shit, this book is good! I'm trying to figure out which of my amazing girlfriends should borrow it first. Witty, funny, intelligent, and mouthwatering (in more ways than one). Yay, vegan chick lit!
Liah B
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I won this book! I can wait to read it!
Ian Wood
A complete, spoiler-ridden review can be found on my blog.

Skinny Bitch in love is told in the in the flirt person singular, and has a few too many tropes and clichés for my taste: the gay best friend, the woman who is so perfect but somehow her life is in the toilet, the overweight but canine-loyal and adorable best girlfriend, injustice and betrayal, etc.

The protagonist, Clementine, is the under-cook at a vegan eatery. A high-class food critic visits the restaurant, and the food Clementine Coop
Tom
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(nb: I received an advance review copy from the publisher via NetGalley)

The "opposites attract" leitmotif is a standard in modern fiction. The straight cop ends up with the bumbling private investigator; the rich guy ends up with a streetwalker. The list goes on.

For the life of me, "Skinny Bitch in Love" is the first novel I've read where the attracting opposites are a vegan chef and a steakhouse owner.

That's what we find in Kim Barnouin's first novel, "Skinny Bitch in Love."

Barnouin has built
Margaret Shumaker
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this

This is such fun and the food will make you wish you could have some, and I'm not a vegan. Chef Clementine is a great character and this book made me happy, we all need good escape, now more than ever.
Desiree
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: desiree
Rating: House/Well: Organic of course (no crushed beetles for red dye effect)
**ARC REVIEW**

bbgirlcoaster

I am not a vegan, thus I prepared myself for a little 'preaching' from a queen of Vegan eats. Kim Barnouin initially coauthored a couple successful "Skinny Bitch" cookbooks. I accepted the advanced copy because I thought it would be interesting to see how cookbook author would do on a romance story. Not only did I enjoy the 'opposites attract' love story, but the attention to detail for both the scene set
Angelique
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book.... honestly made me think about trying some of those foods tho, Like I will always be a meat lover, but those foods sound AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGG
Lawanda
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edgy these-are-the-facts-why-you-want-to-be-a-vegan.
NomdePlumePress
Karen
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first in Barnouin’s “Skinny Bitch” series which centers around the escapades of a snarky 20’s year old vegan chef. She finds love with carnivorous restaurant owner Zach and although I enjoyed their banter for the most part the romance was a bit meh. The vegan theme is in your face and preachy but despite that, it made me want to jump on her bandwagon. This is a light and entertaining escape kind of read for those who enjoy Chick Lit.
Kimberly
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Pleasant Surprise for the summer (or any time you feel like a "summer read") 4.5/5.0 stars

The title caught my attention, but the opening chapter had me hooked. While there is a second story with the romantic bit we like in summer reads, the main story is about Clementine (Clem) getting back into business after a bitter, passed-over colleague spikes a signature vegan dish of Clem's for a food critic with a pat of butter. Causing Clem and nearly the entire staff to be fired, this also resulted i
Mikki _At_A Bookish Escape
Skinny Bitch in Love, by Kim Barnouin, was a fun, entertaining read with a dash of romance! I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I learned so many interesting things and I have to admit that once I finished reading this book, I was surfing the web to find some vegan recipes! I consider myself a FOODIE. I love food!!!!!! When I started reading this book I knew that there was going to be food talk, but I never expected to learn so much! It was a very interesting reading escape!

Clementine Coope

• A Perfect Home
  • Stonefly
  • Pale Horses (Jade de Jong, #4)
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son
  • The Darkness of Perfection
  • The Wisdom of Hair
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart
  • The Infinite Resource: The Power of Ideas on a Finite Planet
  • Supernatural Freak (Supernatural Freak, #1)
  • The Book Lover
  • Three Lives of Tomomi Ishikawa
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: Revised for the 21st Century
  • I'll Seize the Day Tomorrow
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume 29
  • The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs
  • Under Her Spell
  • Ducks in a Row
Before she was a Skinny Bitch, Kim Barnouin was a high school drop-out turned model who only crossed paths with a vegetable on her pizza. Today she is the co-author of The New York Times Bestseller Skinny Bitch with its sequels Skinny Bitch in the Kitch, Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven, Skinny Bitch: Just Bitchin and a line of fitness DVDs.

Born in Rhode Island and raised in Maryland, Kim felt she wa

Skinny Bitch (2 books)
  • Skinny Bitch Gets Hitched (Skinny Bitch #2)