Start by marking “Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)

Silent Warrior

(Dragon Kings 0.5)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  299 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
An exciting, emotionally charged prequel to "The Dragon Kings" trilogy, featuring warriors fighting for their lives in violent Cage matches to guarantee their clans' survival.

A silent woman ashamed of her criminal background becomes a Cage warrior to seek redemption. An unrepentant fortune hunter chooses combat over death to appease a mafia family. Although rivals in battl
Published April 22nd 2013 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Silent Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Warrior

Jill
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it

Two fighters clash head-to-head in a fight club in Hong Kong. One male, one female. Both of the Clan Sath and both Dragon Kings. Hark, an over-talker and Silence, a mute by choice. When backed into a corner, they join forces and together fight their way out of the club.

This prequel novella to the Dragon Kings series is fast-paced, action-packed, violent and entertaining. As this is a short story everything happens fast. There is quick sex, a quick, short romance and happily-ever-after
Duchess Nicole
4 Stars with a tiny caveat...

I read the first novel, Caged Warrior, before I read this one. I was already invested in these two, and I'm really glad that I read them like I did because I believe it very much enhanced my reading experience with this prequel novella. Like other reviewers have stated, this book gives almost no clues as to who the Dragon Kings are or what their place is in the world. Though even Caged Warrior reveals things very slowly, I think it was possibly planned this way...ins
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
Shelves: kindle, ebook
3.5 Stars...Psst, look! Pictures!

Hong Kong
Hong Kong photo: P1110532.jpg

Silent Warrior is the prequel to Lindsey Piper’s new paranormal series. The novella centers on two Dragon King characters - Silence and Hark. Having no idea what Dragon Kings were or what this series was about, I decided to try this out because of the good ratings. Upon completion, I’m still hazy about the details of this world.

The Cage (similar to UFC cage but with a covered top and concrete floor cover with clay
Cage fight photo: ufc cage IMG_0685.jpg

Silence, a collared Cage warrior for t
Jill
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss-arc
I feel like I just watched an episode of gilmore girls on fast forward. Those girls could talk fast, but damn the conversations in this book were faster.
I feel at a loss as to what this book was supposed to be about. Was this book a prequel? Should I have read the next book first? Although I always applause the work of authors who have "fast paced" books apparently there is such a thing as too fast. I believe this book would have been better if we got more introduction to the world and character
Lucia
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
"Recklesness is our intoxicant of choice."

One cage warrior fighting to buy redemption, another one fighting to repay debts. While she intimidates people with her silence, he tries to set other off balance with his cocky stream of words. After fight, they realize that they may have quite a lot in common and become fascinated by each other in all possible ways...

This short novella written in dual POV is a mixture of action, fantasy and adult topics. I LOVED IT! Writing was extremely engaging and
Barbara Ann
Let me preface this review by stating that I read Caged Warrior first, initially unaware that there was a prequel to the trilogy. Once I finished book one, I decided to go back and read the prequel hoping the story would provide more exposition and clarification about the mystical origins and existence of Dragon Kings. Furthermore, I wanted to learn more about humans’ involvement with this secret race of people.

The story opens in the middle of a fight between two Dragon King warriors from the S
Rabidreading
Find this and other reviews @ The Demon Librarian**

A thrilling intro to a new series!

Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to ride a rocket? You know, like you see cartoon characters do? Yeah, me either, but after reading this action-packed novella, I think I have a pretty good idea!

SILENT WARRIOR is a novella that introduces readers to the Dragon Kings. Set in Hong Kong, in an underground world run by human cartels, it starts with a bang and doesn't let up until the very last page is
Beth
Two cage fighters, one male and one female are battling for prize money. The male can’t seem to shut his mouth while the female is complete mute (by choice). The fight gets out of hand and both combatants are told to leave, but quickly attacked. Pooling their resources gives them a chance to escape with minimal damage. Realizing they are both Dragon Kings, they take out their battle ready emotions with sex. In a world gone mad with servitude collars and cage fighting are the norm, two lonely Dra ...more
Melindeeloo
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced, prequel to Piper's to the upcoming Caged Warrior in Piper's new Dragon Kings series. I don't know that Silent Warrior gave me a good feel for what the world is or what the series itself will be like, but I liked this story a great deal. Two brawling warriors, Hark and Silence, use words as weapons to unsettle their opponents - Hark's constant stream of joking sarcastic patter makes others underestimate him and Silence's silence throws them just as far off balance.

After fa
Katie_la_geek
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc, adult
This has to be one of the best series introductory novellas I have ever read. I really loved it, I loved the plot and the setting, it was dark, gritty, violent and sexy.

The characters were amazing. Silence was so cool I almost wanted to be her. She is feisty, funny and fierce, she can hold her own in fights and is more than capable of looking after herself. Hark was just fan-girl worthy. I LOVED him. He was strong, smart, funny and extremely charming with a sex appeal that could bring anyone to
Melanie
This looks like a verrrry promising series! Can't wait for 'Caged Warrior'....
Thenia
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
An exciting introduction to the world of the Dragon Kings, beings of great power that were once worshiped as gods.

The couple of this novella meet in an underground fighting ring where they are fighting each other, both for their own reasons. The attraction between them is intense and when they unexpectedly find themselves allied, they complement each other perfectly, despite, or perhaps because of their differences.

They decide to spend the night together, and it's definitely a night to remember,
AJ
Even though this is a prequel novella, I actually read it after reading Caged Warrior, as suggested by people reviewing both books on Goodreads. Honestly, I’m not sure what order would be best to read them in. I wasn’t happy with the lack of world building in Caged Warrior, and was hoping for more background information on the Dragon Kings in this one, but I still don’t feel any better informed in that respect.

What we get is the story of Hark and Silence – two Dragon King characters that appear
Melliane
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

I didn’t know anything about this series, so when I found this prequel, I thought it might give me an idea of the story.

This is a short novella featuring two characters completely different. Hark is a noisy man, who loves to talk and does not think when he wants anything. Silence is the opposite, a young woman who speaks little or as we understand with her nickname, is calm and collected. Their meeting will immediately spark, especially while Hark is de
The Window Seat
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not yet sure how I feel about these "prequel" novellas. Some are great, some are horrible. But most, like Silent Warrior, fall somewhere in the middle and I am not too sure about them. Their overall success or failure depends on the novel they are "prequeling"

Hark of Sath is a Dragon King down on his luck. He is being chased by the loan sharks that he owes and he finds himself in a bar in Hong Kong where he is fitting a brawl to earn some cash. His opponent is a sexy and mysterious woman. S
Feminista
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

When I started reading this novel/novella, I wasn't expecting much, other than getting through my pile of ARCs. So I was really surprised when I started reading about a female cage fighter who is silent around others and a male cage fighter who can't help but open his mouth.

This intriguing pair go through a series of events together, in the space of a couple of hours, that bonds the pair so strongly that they have no hope of ever separating in the future.

What I loved most abo
Coyora Dokusho
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiked it. Enjoyed the backstory of Silence and Hark... Doing some reading for writing my paper too!!
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-silent...

“Okay, fine. I get it. Strong, silent type? I thought it was reserved for cops and guys in action movies, but I can adapt.” He hefted his sword and winked. “I’m modern. Feminists don’t intimate me.”

Silence and Hark meet when they are matched in the ring of a fight club in Hong Kong. Hark is all talk, he taunts and talks smack while trying to get any sort of reaction out of his opponent. Silence is as good as her name… not speaki
Amanda
I read Silent Warrior after Caged Warrior, thus I had a better idea of the world building. There is a mentioned of Dragon Kings, the collar wore by the warrior, the Cages and the Asters, but you won't find any explanation here. I can imagine if a reader start with Silent Warrior, she will have a hell of a time understanding what is happening.

I'm intrigue by both Silence and Hark in Caged Warrior and wish to find out about how they came together in the first place. Silence, the girl who doesn't t
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic. I’ve had my eye on this series ever since I got to read a snippet of the forthcoming first book in the series, Caged Warrior, due out in June of this year, and so I snapped up this novella as soon as I had the chance.

Dark and unapologetically gritty, this story was full of pulse-pounding action, and earthy heat that keeps you begging for more.

I loved that the heroine was a true warrior — she isn’t one of those suppose
Jessie Potts
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
What it's about: The Dragon Kings is an excellent romance series, and Silent Warrior is the eagerly awaited prequel. One of the warriors is fighting in the cage to buy redemption, the other to repay debts. The silent warrior hasn't spoken a word to anyone in five years, so when Hark hears her voice, steam and love are mixed in with the fighting and chemistry.

Why you should read it: This short novella is a must-read for Dragon Kings lovers. Silence and Hark are two beautiful warriors fighting for
Talk Supe
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have yet to fully master the world and terminologies but despite these handicap, SILENT WARRIOR is a good series intro and it was VERY appetizing. The world is like Spartacus meets The Fight Club set in Hong Kong. There's a good mix of modern times and ethnic lore as far as the myth is concerned and the characters are unapologetic, sexy and downright lusty.
Full review to follow.
Keri
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars I am intrigued enough to give the next book a chance.
Lesley
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit confusing I felt as if I was thrown into a new world without a map, however it was very intriguing. Do I want more? Hell yes.
Kristi Davis
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons
Kind of interesting but I skimmed a bunch, reading when I was tired. Might want to come back if I'm looking for a dragon series in the future.
Nicole
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/04/22/...

Has: Silence is a caged warrior and is collared by a clan called the Asters which she follows their orders in capturing other Dragon Warriors and other errands. SIlence also dabbles in cage fighting which helps her to release some pent up steam and to help her own personal quest to find an icon which was lost centuries ago. But during one mission she enters a cage match that has a fellow Dragon Warrior from the same clan as h
Marlene
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

Once they were worshipped as gods. Now they huddle in remote clan strongholds, clinging to the remnants of demonic power as their race slowly withers into extinction. Or they sell themselves into life-long slavery for access to the human science that has figured out a way around whatever has caused the rising infertility rate. Or just to pay off gambling debts.

The Dragon Kings are not actually dragons. They’re not shapeshifters either. What they are is desc
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Silence and Hark fall in love in a significantly better book than the first of The Dragon Kings series.

Opening Sentence: “This is not going well.”

The Review:

Hark and Silence first meet on the streets of Hong Kong, in a fight that will change their lives. Both have dark pasts, both have regrets, and both are bonded in this quick novella that takes barely any time to read. It starts as a fight in a bar, and it becomes a romance that will never
Kirke
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

I have already read Caged Warrior and I actually recommend reading that book first before reading this novella. Silent Warrior can't go into details like a full length novel, but you will need those details to fully understand everything. Otherwise you will be quite frustrated because some things like the Five Clans and the cartels won't make much sense to you.

Hark and Silence first meet while fighting each other. They are both
Sandy S
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it

The Dragon King series is NOT a series about dragon shifters or dragons. It is a series about the descendants of a race who believe themselves to have a connection to the dragon.

REVIEW: SILENT WARRIOR is the prequel novella and introductory storyline in Lindsey Piper’s dystopian/paranormal Dragon King series. Like most novellas, the storyline is limited with background information about the world of the Dragon King and left me with many unanswered questions due to the complex nature of
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Along Came a Spider (Transplanted Tales, #3)
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Diana's Hound (Bloodhounds, #4)
  • Shifter Planet
  • Forbidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #3)
  • A Time of Dying (Araneae Nation, #3)
  • Tempest (MetaWars, #3)
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Nobody's Angel (Earth Angels, #1)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • On the Scent (Psychic Detective, #1)
  • Soul Kissed (Shadow Kissed, #2)
  • Koishi (GateKeepers, #1)
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)
Lindsey Piper is the alter ego of award-winning historical and contemporary romance author Carrie Lofty . She was nominated for a RITA for Best Paranormal in 2013 for the first in her Dragon Kings series, CAGED WARRIOR. She lives and writes in Chicago.

Dragon Kings (5 books)
  • Caged Warrior (Dragon Kings, #1)
  • Blood Warrior (Dragon Kings, #2)
  • Hunted Warrior (Dragon Kings, #3)
  • Fire Warrior (Dragon Kings, #3.5)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
  • You and Me, Always
    $14.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)