Start by marking “Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family” as Want to Read:
Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family

Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family

Welcome to the family! It's just like yours: father, mother, sister, brother, abuelita, gato, even a great-great grandmother. Well, but there's something just a little bit different about this particular family. Maybe it's those clothes they wear . . . just a little bit fashion backward. And the colors! So vibrant and . . . lively. Maybe that's what it is. They are just so ...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Cinco Puntos Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family

Start your review of Mi Familia Calaca / My Skeleton Family
Karina
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spanish- English language book.

Great book about the Skeleton Family for the littles. I would ask them what "Nosotros los niños" translates to and they would tell me (guess) in English.

I'm not into the whole skeletal Day of The Dead theme (oddly, my parents didn't celebrate it or teach us about it...) but I've found some fascinating books like this. What's even more interesting is that it is made from paper mache. The drawings of the family are beautiful and bright.
Zoë
This book is a cute, simple bi-lingual (Spanish/English) book about a family of skeletons. The narrator (Anita) introduces us to each of her family members in both English and Spanish. The book beautifully incorporates the Mexican symbol of skeletons by using sculptures created by Mexican artist Jesus Canseco.

I want to make a point to include bi-lingual books in my classroom in order to expose students to other languages or include a home language in the classroom. Using this book in the classr
Ms. Cobbs
Engaging Interactive read alouds

Rebecca
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud, español
My favorite book to share come Dia de los Muertos! Short and sweet bilingual prose, gorgeous art. Not much of a narrative here, but these celebratory skeletons are the perfect conversation starter for all ages.
Aolund
Brightly colored pages background beautiful papier-mache images of different members of a skeleton family. Simple text (in both English and Spanish) accompanies each picture. This book is exceptionally versatile, and could be used for babies, preschoolers, and even early readers. The only drawback is how heavily the book relies on a binary sense of gender -- "the women of the family" and "the men of the family" are starkly and separately pictured.

Themes: Family
Zoe's Human
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Esto es un buen libro bilingüe en inglés y español. Estudiantes de todas las edades pueden aprender las palabras de la familia. Tambien los fotos de las calacas del papel maché son muy interesantes y vivos.

My first review in Spanish y'all. Corrections from native speakers, advanced students, and the multilingual are received with gratitude.
The Reading Writing Puppet
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
It’s a cute simple translation English/Spanish about members of the family. I wish there was more of a storyline. And as cute as the illustrations are, they’re just standing there, it be cuter if the characters where doing things.
Vanessa Gonzalez
2nd or 3rd garde

The book has english and spanish text on same page. Great read for beginner ELL in 2nd or 3rd grade.
Kris
My family. Mi familia. Day of the Dead.
(Manny Calavera!)

4.5
Amy Cobbs
The title of today’s read aloud is Mi Familia Calala. What do you think I read? Listen again carefully to the three words in the title. I’ll give you a clue, I want you to predict the word that begins with the /f/ sound. The word in familia, and familia is very important to me. Can you guess the word? S: Family?, yes. Teacher draws attention to a photo of her family; is your family important? Students respond. T: I see some similarities between my family and the one on this cover such as a Mom, ...more
Sheila Ortega
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is as much fun as Cynthia Weill's other books. I love them all. Mexico has a tradition of having fun with skeletons. You can find skeletons of all sizes, dressed in all kinds of clothes, engaged in every activity imaginable: playing instruments, taking photos, working, getting married. Like all of Weill's books, the well-crafted sculptures are beautifully photographed against bright backgrounds and accompanied by simple text. I read this aloud to students in pre-k, kindergarten, and fi ...more
Sandra Mendoza
Very colorful and joyful book. An amazing book that combines Mexican traditions and relationships. Children will enjoy this bilingual book full of life. This is a great book to educate children on one of the very popular Mexican traditions, Day of the Dead, and show that individuals can consist of many different types of family members.
Chacha
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great display of English and Spanish text in a way early readers will appreciate. Family is important, great-grandparents are important, I love that the author includes them. Respectful illustrations of calacas.
Patricia
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very simple, bilingual photo book of the calaca family made by Oaxacan paper mache artist Jesus Canseco Zarate. It teaches family relationships as we wonder over these Day of the Dead skeletons, and is great for the younger grades.
Sara
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a cute picture book with helpful vocabulary if learning Spanish words for family members. However, I thought the artwork could have been a bit better. I didn't like the pipe-forms of the family members. This is just an aesthetic preference though. ...more
Adan
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is super great! Very little words, but it's in English and Spanish so the girl can learn more words and phrases, and the papier-mâché skeletons are awesomesauce! ...more
Amanda Coppedge
I love this delightfully weird bilingual picture book! This would be a great read-aloud for younger children, as well as a fun, simple text for children learning Spanish or English.
Jessica
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-1-2
Bilingual Skeleton family----I love the brief cultural history of skeletons and how they were made for this book.
Sofia and Francine Dines
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Este libro es perfecto por el Día de los Muertos. Este año, nuestra familia tiene disfrases con las calacas, y Mi Familia Calaca ayudanos a aprender el vocabulario de la familia en inglés y español.
Maria
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations in this book. It is a very adorable way to incorporate Mexican folk art while learning Spanish.
Crystal
My students loved this book. Their favorite part was the picture if the pets. They thought the pictures were great, but they also loved hearing the Spanish.
Marissa Elera
"My brother Miguel. He's a brat."

I would like to give this book a hug. It's humor coupled with the expressive art and simple text makes for a perfectly composed bilingual treat.
Maeve
Jan 17, 2014
Apr 02, 2014
Geneva Mixon
Oct 28, 2014
Jen
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bilingual, espa-ol, pb
Cute pictures. clear translations. cheery skeletons. No plot really to speak of.
R.J.
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • Goldilocks & The Three Bears
  • Un Circulo En El Cielo (a Circle in the Sky)
  • Alphabet Fiesta: An English/Spanish Alphabet Story
  • Mama tiene un bebe en la barriga
  • Canticos: Los Pollitos / Canticos: Little Chickies
  • Look
  • A Cat and a Dog / Un gato y un perro
  • Saturday
  • All Are Welcome
  • The Honest Truth
  • How Raven Got His Crooked Nose: An Alaskan Dena'ina Fable
  • Raccoon's Last Race: A Traditional Abenaki Story
  • The Rough-Face Girl