Start by marking “The Marijuana Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Marijuana Chronicles

The Marijuana Chronicles

(Akashic Drug Chronicles)

Featuring brand-new stories, poems, prose, and graphics by: Lee Child, Joyce Carol Oates, Linda Yablonsky, Jonathan Santlofer, Abraham Rodriguez, Dean Haspiel, Maggie Estep, Bob Holman, Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan, Amanda Stern, Jan Heller Levi, Josh Gilbert, Edward M. Gómez, Raymond Mungo, Rachel Shteir, Philip Spitzer, and Thad Ziolkowski.

FROM THE INTRODUCTION by Jonathan Santlof
Published July 2nd 2013 by Akashic Books

Stacy Cook
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lee Child-My First Drug Trial...should have seen it coming after the note in the intro; didn't. Excellent!

Joyce Carol Oates-High...a great little story about an elderly woman who, with the help of her degenerate niece, starts to get "high" to deal with the absence of her husband after his death.

Linda Yablonsky-Jimmy OBrien...not really sure what I thought about this one. A weird story about whom other than Jimmy OBrien and his odd sex life with women and who buy the way sells drugs and later gro
Kali Srikanth
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-recommend
There are eight fiction short stories, six non-fiction essays, 1 comic strip and 2 poems, all in all 17 pieces by 17 different authors (few notable ones) including the editor himself. Like in a mixed-bag, there are good pieces, bad pieces, thrilling ones, informative ones and not to mention skippable ones too. Even though, content wise, this was not exactly what I was looking for in a Marijuana chronicles book, but still, this book is quite enjoyable for major part and definitely worth my time.
Rebecca McNutt
I really liked the majority of these stories, and although this wasn't one of my favorite books I loved the creativity and wit in each one.
Rob Carpenter
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was bad. Not really bad, but not very good. There were a solid, I dunno, 5 stories? But the majority were very blugh. Not even a little worth reading.
Jessica
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Marijuana Chronicles, edited by Jonathan Santloper, is comprised of eight pieces of fiction, six non-fiction, two poems and a comic strip. The breadth of the subject is so staggering that any tome with the audacity to call itself The Marijuana Chronicles is setting itself up to be challenged.

These pieces were presented in a somewhat random fashion, despite four section headings that formed an organizing principle that remained elusive to me. I would have preferred that the essays have their
SheilaRaeO
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories from this wonderful eclectic mix of authors is a pleasure best enjoyed with a nice tall drink of choice and perhaps a special brownie... My favorite of the lot was the very first story by Lee Child. I also found very interesting the last section of stories in the group of "Good and Bad Medicine" regarding the medical uses of marijuana. This collection was not nearly as terrifying overall as the Heroin Chronicles that I reviewed earlier. Its a kinder, gentler, lai ...more
Pete Peters
A very medicore piece of literature would reccomend for canabis patients and adults

Dean
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
The Marijuana Chronicles contains 12 short stories, 1 comic, 2 poems, and 2 nonfiction essays by 17 different authors including the editor. There are other notable names in the table of contents such as Lee Child and Joyce Carol Oates.

The introduction includes a brief history to marijuana or cannabis or hemp or whatever you want to call it. It's interesting reading using facts from ancient history right up to modern times. Among other interesting facts, "The National Commission on Marijuana Dru
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Mscout
This is a collection of short works centered around the marijuana debates. While the list of contributors is stunning, the work is uneven at best. Kicking off with possibly the hottest author going right now, Lee Child, one would think that you're off to a great start. Not so much. Child's piece is short, and thanks to a rather superfluous statement in the introduction, the outcome is clear from the first sentence. So what is supposed to be a twisty mystery, ends up being a couple of pages of sl ...more
Tuck
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
ah man, i was going to read this and write a review, but i forgot. why do you think the cocaine The Speed Chronicles and speed chronicles are better than the The Cocaine Chronicles the heroin and pot collections? from akashic.
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of short stories. My favorite was by Amanda Stern about a teen who falls in with a drama club that is dysfunctional and has a disturbing relationship with an adult. The stories really varied widely, there was a darkly humorous zombie one, a few on addiction, one by Lee Child about a man smoking pot before his trial with a twist at the end, and a good poem.
Arlo
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
First section "Dangerous" was very good. The rest of the book was spotty at best and a serious slog.

I just spotted this book in the new arrival section of the library and saw Joyce Carol Oates and MJ and it piqued my interest. More of an impulsive grab that didn't pay off. Although the Oates story was good.
Jerry Oliver
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book and its subject matter, but I really shouldn't talk about it. Be sure to get your head on straight and give it a try, the book I mean. Nothing in it topped the first story but the whole thing is worth your time. Just inhale and enjoy.
Tj Moore
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting collection of short stories about experiences. I found it easy to read, and kept it accessible for the quick 5 minute reading times. Very enjoyable, and I look forward to passing it on.
Tom
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A collection of essays about you know what.
Jane
May 17, 2014 added it
Definitely mixed. I'm not a fan of short stories anyway.
Ray
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of short stories. Some good, some boring and some just too weird.
İlke Kayan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Zaman Kaybı

Marijuana ile ilgili yazabileceğiniz hikayeler bu mu bu kadar sıradan ve basit mi?
Gelip bizim çocuklara bi sor istersen bak sana ne güzel hikayeler anlatiyorlar :)
Emma
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jill Mcdonald
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
some of the stories had me cracking up!
Karyn
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A mixed bag.
Maxi Bolongaita
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Great selection of stories and it is very informative.
Johannes Roviomaa
Meryl May
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Speed Chronicles
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • Earthquake Storms: The Fascinating History and Volatile Future of the San Andreas Fault
  • The Heroin Chronicles
  • Cliff of the Ruin
  • The Bitch
  • The Burying Ground: A Thaddeus Lewis Mystery
  • Home (Jack Murphy, #2)
  • The Devil in Her Way (Maureen Coughlin, #2)
  • Twenty Trillion Leagues Under The Sea
  • Throat of the Night (The Angelaeon Circle, #3)
  • Climate Shock: The Economic Consequences of a Hotter Planet
Jonathan Santlofer is the author of five novels and a highly respected artist whose work has been written about and reviewed in the New York Times, Art in America, Artforum, and Arts, and appears in many public, private, and corporate collections. He serves on the board of Yaddo, one of the oldest artist communities in the country. Santlofer lives and works in New York City.

Akashic Drug Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Cocaine Chronicles