Start by marking “Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  25 reviews
You will be creating for the rest of your life. You might as well do it on purpose.

Everyone was an artist, once. But somewhere between kindergarten and now, we lost the confidence to create. We’ve crumbled under the pressure to find our place in the “real, grown-up” world and now see the art room as a happy memory with no real value.

Instead of approaching the world with ch
Published April 1st 2013 by Moody Publishers (first published March 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Life After Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Art

This book is, categorically, a Christian Living book; and while there is an obvious Christian influence throughout the writing, I found that it wasn't oppressively pushing an agenda or in-your-face preachy that is often characteristic of the category. The basis of the book is seemingly simple: we, as human beings created in the image of the ultimate Creator, are born to create, and create. Yet, over time, we've turned from this calling, forcing ourselves to abandon the “childish” behaviors that ...more
Addie Zierman
My friend Sonny Lemmons made the observation that Life After Art is less of a how-to book than a kind of manifesto, and I think that’s perfect word for it. It’s a short book and an easy read. It paints the whole thing in broad strokes. And while I would have loved to see more nuanced blending, more detail, more complexity, I don’t think that was really the point.

I think the point was to remind us who we once were and to give us a little jolt of inspiration. I think it was to remind us that beaut
Amanda Cain
As someone who was home schooled from Kindergarten to Graduation, I was a bit hesitant about Life After Art. I never actually had “art class” in school, other than the occasional class a lady from our church would offer.

My mom still has the pitiful paintings I made hanging in frames on the wall, and truth be told, I don’t remember any great, life-changing lessons from those art classes of my childhood.

So I was delighted and happily surprised when I began to read Appling’s discussion of art, and
Rusty Knorr
What started out as an entertaining and quirky look at what we have lost of art as adults quickly turns into christian fundamentalist preaching. This book is just another opportunity for a religious sermon, taught under the guise of art education. Opinions about god are spoken of as facts, and in the brainwashed eyes of the author, any idea of inspiration can only be thought of as divine. Avoid this at all costs if you are a critical thinker who has moved past Sunday school dogma, it's a complet ...more
Elizabeth Harrison
Appling mentions two different types of boundaries - the good, positive ones God places on people's lives and the negative, unnecessary boundaries people place on themselves (p. 100). But then, he talks about people who defy boundaries and do things like escaping exploitation, achieving despite a painful past, etc. Which one of the two previous types of categories would these acts fit into? I don't think they fit into either - these people are not by any means placing limitations on *themselves ...more
Book Review: Life After Art by Matt Appling

As usual the subtitle gives an accurate synopsis of what the book contains: what you forgot about life and faith since you left the art room.

Written by an art teacher, this book is certainly different. One very good thing that is does is to challenge and stretch your thinking. Who doesn’t need that?

Life After Art is a far cry from a Bible study or devotional guide. It isn’t “billed” as such, so good thing. But coming from Moody, I expected a little bit
Blake Atwood
I'm a sucker for movies and books that transport you back to the carefree days of childhood. The Sandlot. The NeverEnding Story. The Chronicles of Narnia. These are touchstone narratives of my youth, stories that I can read or watch now and recall what it was like to not be so cynical. Matt Appling's Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room does just that: it amplifies quiet echoes from my past, beckoning me to heed their call well into my future.

Years a
Leigh  Kramer
When Matt Appling told me about his book Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room, I immediately knew I wanted to read it. The subtitle says it all. Even creatives need a reminder of the whys, whats, and hows. I may be pursuing a writing career but I'm not necessarily creating the way I could and should.

This book was a refresher course. One need not be an artist to read it. In fact, if you're not an artist, you need this book more than ever.

Appling takes u
Life After Art is not as much about art and creativity as one might suspect judging by the book cover. This book is more so about how to learn the art of making life beautiful, though it is not an instruction manual. Believe you me, you are going to find yourself immensely challenged and asking yourself a lot of questions about how you can live a more beautiful life after you've closed the cover . . . but you're going to be insanely happy about it.

Matt Appling invites us to journey into thought
John E. Smith
Matt Appling's Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room is about many things: “… faith, family, hope, disappointment, dreams, failures, and all the other things that make up adult life.”

It’s also about creativity, motivation, and enthusiasm … which children possess in abundance, but adults have to work hard to regain.

Matt combines psychological, sociological, and spiritual insights deftly and in a style which engages us from page one. Since he is an exper
Create With Joy
I believe you are creative – whether or not you have an artistic bone in your body. I believe you have the potential to do great things. I believe that when you use your creativity, you reflect the image of God, the Creator.

The question is, do you believe these things?

If so, you will love Matt Appling’s first book, Life After Art. If not, you need to read it!

Life After Art is about creativity – life – faith – and a whole lot more. It’s about losing and rediscovering ourselves. It’s about what ha
We are all born creative, Matt Appling reminds us. We are all born to want to create with abandon, to take risks, to eschew affirmation. But then, over time, those desires are drummed out of us, steady and hard. And Matt would know - he's an elementary school art teacher.

This book affirmed something I have been thinking for a long time - the purpose-driven life is over-rated. Okay, not in the sense of serving your life's purpose, but in the sense that everything we do must always, for every mom
Marissa Dame
Nov 26, 2014 Marissa Dame rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marissa by: Jackson Dame
4.75 Stars

I think the biggest thing I did not like about this book is that it did not give me a formula on how to make my life beautiful-- a set of steps to follow when I feel stuck...

But that would have defeated the purpose of the whole book. Appling is honest and shares a message I believe we all need to hear about creating beauty in our lives. We're all artist and creatives.

Life After Art is inspiring and challenging because it makes you think about your life and actually
Read like a series of blog essays compiled into a book. While I agreed with a lot of the content, parts of it were repetitive and not fully fleshed out. I would have liked to see more research to support his claims rather than solely relying on anecdotes.
Overall I am quite happy I read this book, and found a lot of ideas and thoughts to highlight and consider at a later date. I definitely appreciated Appling's insights as a teacher who both lived and watches this all unfold. I don't know if I buy in to all of his thoughts about beauty which seemed to have almost absolute value in his eyes (possibly that ties in to his perfectionism and fear of failure) and think he deems some things as laziness that might actually have more to do with interest ( ...more
There was one thing in the book I didn't agree with, several ideas I did agree with, and more that caused me to think... which are the makings for a good read. I gave it a 3 because I didn't really like the structure of the chapters and that 1 part of his book I just did not like at all. It could be that I wasn't understanding his view on it, but I thought it over for several days. I do think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What 1 person thinks is beautiful is different from another's ...more
Todd Stanley
After reading Life After Art, I decided immediately to share it with the team of people I create with. Accessible, incite full, and engaging, Life After Art is well worth reading.
This book is a beautiful reminder that we were placed on this earth not just to exist, but to create, and to bring God glory in creating. Well worth the read.
Katie Aker
Beautifully written book on a great subject. Must read!
This book is about creativity, about living lives that are full and beautiful. Mr Appling (I think it's because he's a teacher, but I can't think about the author by any other name, so I'm going with it) doesn't think quite way I do, about creativity or childhood. I find myself wanting to ask him about quilting, and mistakes, blogging, and Pinterest. I think it's a good sign when you find yourself talking back to an author. And I think it's noteable that I want to lend this book to other people, ...more
Concept is great. The idea has bounced around my head since I started the book. I lost a bit of steam toward the end. I felt like he had played all his cards and was now basically reiterating the point he had already made and I started losing interest.

Enjoyed it overall, though
This book had some good things to say, however, I found them to be obscured by the way the author tried to make everything universal (which it was not), the insecurity of the author and the writing style. Honestly, I just don't think that this was a book-length subject. I am sad about this review, because the reason I read this, was at the recommendation of lots of blogger friends, whom I trust. Oh well.
i thought this was a good book. It was really short but it got across the points it needed to. I really loved how he discusses the beauty is NOT in the eye of the beholder. I like how he discusses just because someone likes something it does not necessarily beautiful.
Some interesting thoughts on rediscovering creativity. Some arguments rubbed me the wrong way, but getting past that there were some quality insights.
Justin Schneider
Enjoyable and a simple read. I imagine Appling's next book will dig deeper into the root of creativity encouraging kids to maintain the flow of creativity.
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Teresa Hughes
Teresa Hughes marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Emmi Kristiina
Emmi Kristiina marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
  • Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts
  • The Scriptures Testify about Me: Jesus and the Gospel in the Old Testament
  • Ethics for a Brave New World
  • The In-Between: Embracing the Tension Between Now and the Next Big Thing: A Spiritual Memoir
  • The Artist's Daughter: A Memoir