Start by marking “Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future” as Want to Read:
Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future

Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future

The Next Generation Leader has been challenging young Christians eager to learn, grow, and lead in ministry or in the marketplace since its original release in 2003. Now with an all-new look, this repackaged version continues to advance the mission of the first release. Mentoring young leaders as they face the unique issues of a changing world has bee
Audiobook
Published April 15th 2013 by christianaudio (first published December 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Next Generation Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Generation Leader

Mark Jr.
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, audio

Stanley offers a summary of his views on leadership at the end of the book:

•Play to your strengths. Delegate your weaknesses.
•Be courageous.
•Be clear in the face of uncertainty.
•Find a leadership coach.
•Maintain your character.

I listened to the book from Christian Audio (thanks to them for the review copy), so I'll just record most of the thoughts that struck me and interested me enough to pause and write them down. They'll track more or less with the outline above.

•Do what you're gifted to do a
Shawn Thornton
Best book on leadership I have ever read. Perfect for young pastors and ministry leaders. First book I recommend to others when they ask me about leadership in ministry.
Travis
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy Stanley is at his best when he is helping leaders know how to lead. This is why Next Generation Leader has so much to offer. In this simple work, Stanley shares five important principles of leadership that he has gathered over his years of, well, leading.

The strength of the book comes in its simple, straight-forward, and encouraging counsel on how to lead. For example, Stanley reminds us that, as leaders, it is wise for us to spend our time doing what we are naturally shaped and gifted to
Kristie Soliman
3.5

Not bad. I really benefited from a few of the chapters and I enjoyed the biblical examples he gave. I also liked the questions at the end of each chapter - that's the strongest point of the book.

This is a good book for people who may have not attended many leadership seminars, trainings, etc. I say this because I felt like some of it was obvious, but I recognize some people may not have considered some of these things before.

Some of this book made me roll my eyes, specifically when he would
Evan
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite possibly the best book on leadership I have ever read.
Jonathan Adams
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely practical. It will leave you with more than something to think about but something to do.
Nathan Farley
This is a really good introductory book for those who are moving into leadership. I read it as an intern at my church, and it is an incredible conversation started. If you're wanting to invest in the next generation, buy two of these books and give one to someone else. Read it together. Meet up. And watch where the conversation goes.
Marc Arlt
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how Andy is able to open up Biblical stories and bring them home so powerfully and with great clarity and insight. This book is an example of that. The only "problem" is that this book is such an easy read that one can easily be tempted to forego the challenge that it places on us. Don't make that mistake. Would be great to take a group through this material.
David Eversole
This was a good, quick read. Nothing really earth-shattering here, but good reminders about basic leadership stuff. Just like a good preacher, he made his points fit into 5 'C' words - just have to be alliterative. Good stuff and worth the quick read. I appreciated that he said what was important and kept moving. He did not dwell on any of the topics for too long.
Nathan Schneider
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast, simple read, but was full of wisdom for the next generation leader. Andy's emphasis on the five characteristics for leaders was easily translatable into all leadership situations.
Rat Barrel
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a power wielder or into transactional or pseudo-transformation leadership, you will not like this book. This book is written with character and integrity in mind. There is much to Stanley's leadership style and ideas, and this book is well worth the price.
Mark
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall not bad with some good points, but at times dangerously pragmatic and utilitarian.
Thomas Kinsfather
A powerfully written and enabling look at leadership. Stanley's writing is clear and practical. Next Generation Leader helped me become more intentional in my leadership.
T.F.
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good self help book. Very clear and lucid. Nothing out of the world or new. But reinforces some of things we know but we usually forget. Definitely worth a read.
Viraj
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
This book, ‘The Next Generation Leader’ is a gem of a book by Andy Stanley. I had come across Andy’s powerful one-liners in the past, but first time I was reading his book.
This 133-pager is full of insights drawn from author’s personal experience as a leader and also as a leadership Mentor. I found his style of writing simple, straightforward and very engaging. The book is full of stories, anecdotes from real life and also from scriptures!

In those pages, Andy is putting on table 5 essentials o
Matt
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read and listened to a LOT from Andy Stanley. He has an amazing voice when it comes to logical, sensible communication, especially on the topic of leadership. He introduces five main points to keep in mind as you grow and look ahead as a leader. Ive been in full-time church ministry for eight years now, and I found several helpful nuggets from this book.

One of my favorite quotes is: "Keep in mind that everything you loathe about your current environment or organization was originally somebo
Rhonda Sue
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff and easy to read. The 5 C's are competence, courage, clarity, coaching, and character.

Some takeaways for me: Only do what you can. Identify areas in which you're most likely to add unique value to your organization and leverage your skills. Well rounded is a negative. Focus and delegate to others those things that you're not great at or don't wish to be.

Eliminate stuff you're not good at. Play to your strengths. Find your groove.

Need courage to be a good leader, and to have follower
Jonathan McCarthy
This book has some really great pragmatic advice in it and Stanley writes in a very accessible style. However, I think most of it could be reduced to a bullet-point three-page article. Stanley's advice is very solid when it comes to basic leadership principles. His method of approach to the Bible as a backdrop for these principles, however, is at times concerning. Most troublesome is his usage of the David and Goliath story. Stanley states that "David's leadership was established through his cou ...more
Miguel Serrano
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The Next Generation Leader is a great wake up call for those who are bestowed the load of leading a pack. Though written by a Christian preacher, the Biblical philosophies incorporated in this book didn't overpower the main point of discussion - leadership - but rather enhanced it even more after being carefully placed as examples for the topic at hand. Convincing. Concise. Straight to the point. This book has the power to make you step up and change the way you see leadership. A mentor compacte ...more
Karen
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best leadership books I have ever read-- it lays out leadership in a way that it is so simple-- Competence, Courage, Clarity, Coaching, Character-- there really isn't anything else you need to be an effective leader.

As a Christian, the references to Andy Stanley's journey in ministry leadership were relevant to me and spoke to my heart, but even if you are not a follower of Jesus-- you will learn and grow so much as a leader from this book!
J.J. Hanna
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, christian
This book is a must-read for anyone who finds himself in a leadership position. Whether you chose to lead or were pushed into leadership, or if you're aiming to have people follow you but also don't want to let them down, this book will make you think about your intentions, your convictions, and if you're really meant to be a leader.

The best part? It's aimed at new leaders, young leaders, those who will shape the future.
Andrew Cowart
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good guideline for leaders. It marks out areas where leaders most often fail and teaches to the actions that can be taken to get ahead of such mistakes. This is NOT just a book for christian leaders. In fact, if you are looking for a book that teaches from a *primarily* biblical standpoint this is not it. That is not to say that the book doesn't line up with scripture, just that it does not use scripture heavily throughout, really until the last chapter. Overall a good book and easy read.
Mike Cheney
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for those starting out in leadership or seeking to leverage leadership when they're not in charge. Stanley communicates well both in the verbal and written form and Next Generation Leader is no different. An easy read with many suggestions for practical application throughout the 5 essentials that Andy outlines.
Joshua Ray
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could not have come at a better time for me. Andy Stanley's insights on leadership are practical and come from a wealth of experience. One of the best books on (the basics of) leadership that I have read so far. I especially appreciated his discussion of leadership as providing clarity in the midst of uncertainty. I know I will be returning to this book in the future!
Yari
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Leaders who refuse to make the development of their character a priority generally end up with organizations that reflect that deficit as well." Timely and full of practical insight. Recommend to all leaders.
Kevin Choate
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book on leadership. An easy read with wonderful illustrations. This will be a book that will be very good to use for leadership lessons in ministry!!

Nothing groundbreaking, yet still a quality read.
Kenny Parnell
A short read. Fairly standard leadership material, but a good intro to the topic for new/young leaders. The best content for me came at the end where the author admonishes us not to lose sight of our values and faith that brought us to where we are, to begin with.
Samuel
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing and insightful with practical steps on how to develop our leadership.
Stephen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ AUG 2017

Nicely written piece with good examples for any leader.
Dawn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leadership in a nut shell

Great book. It will have you looking within at yourself, as you lead others as forge the future for your organisation or company.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Find best schools of driving lessons Birmingham and learn to drive 1 1 May 19, 2018 01:12AM

• Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • The Catalyst Leader: 8 Essentials for Becoming a Change Maker
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Leaders Who Last
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • The Power of Vision
  • An Unstoppable Force:: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • Exponential: How to Accomplish the Jesus Mission
  • The 21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leader's Day: Revitalize Your Spirit and Empower Your Leadership
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
  • Practicing Greatness: 7 Disciplines of Extraordinary Spiritual Leaders
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
“Don’t strive to be a well-rounded leader. Instead, discover your zone and stay there. Then delegate everything else.

Admitting a weakness is a sign of strength. Acknowledging weakness doesn’t make a leader less effective.

Everybody in your organization benefits when you delegate responsibilities that fall outside your core competency. Thoughtful delegation will allow someone else in your organization to shine. Your weakness is someone’s opportunity.

Leadership is not always about getting things done “right.” Leadership is about getting things done through other people.

The people who follow us are exactly where we have led them. If there is no one to whom we can delegate, it is our own fault.

As a leader, gifted by God to do a few things well, it is not right for you to attempt to do everything. Upgrade your performance by playing to your strengths and delegating your weaknesses.

There are many things I can do, but I have to narrow it down to the one thing I must do. The secret of concentration is elimination.

Devoting a little of yourself to everything means committing a great deal of yourself to nothing.

My competence in these areas defines my success as a pastor.

A sixty-hour workweek will not compensate for a poorly delivered sermon. People don’t show up on Sunday morning because I am a good pastor (leader, shepherd, counselor).

In my world, it is my communication skills that make the difference. So that is where I focus my time.

To develop a competent team, help the leaders in your organization discover their leadership competencies and delegate accordingly.

Once you step outside your zone, don’t attempt to lead. Follow.

The less you do, the more you will accomplish.

Only those leaders who act boldly in times of crisis and change are willingly followed.

Accepting the status quo is the equivalent of accepting a death sentence. Where there’s no progress, there’s no growth. If there’s no growth, there’s no life. Environments void of change are eventually void of life. So leaders find themselves in the precarious and often career-jeopardizing position of being the one to draw attention to the need for change. Consequently, courage is a nonnegotiable quality for the next generation leader.

The leader is the one who has the courage to act on what he sees.

A leader is someone who has the courage to say publicly what everybody else is whispering privately. It is not his insight that sets the leader apart from the crowd. It is his courage to act on what he sees, to speak up when everyone else is silent. Next generation leaders are those who would rather challenge what needs to change and pay the price than remain silent and die on the inside.

The first person to step out in a new direction is viewed as the leader. And being the first to step out requires courage. In this way, courage establishes leadership.

Leadership requires the courage to walk in the dark. The darkness is the uncertainty that always accompanies change. The mystery of whether or not a new enterprise will pan out. The reservation everyone initially feels when a new idea is introduced. The risk of being wrong.

Many who lack the courage to forge ahead alone yearn for someone to take the first step, to go first, to show the way. It could be argued that the dark provides the optimal context for leadership. After all, if the pathway to the future were well lit, it would be crowded.

Fear has kept many would-be leaders on the sidelines, while good opportunities paraded by. They didn’t lack insight. They lacked courage.

Leaders are not always the first to see the need for change, but they are the first to act.

Leadership is about moving boldly into the future in spite of uncertainty and risk.

You can’t lead without taking risk. You won’t take risk without courage. Courage is essential to leadership.”
22 likes
“To ensure that we are leading with our feet firmly planted on the soil of what is, we must live by the seven commandments of current reality:

Thou shalt not pretend.
Though shalt not turn a blind eye.
Thou shalt not exaggerate.
Thou shalt not shoot the bearer of bad news.
Thou shalt not hide behind the numbers.
Thou shalt not ignore constructive criticism.
Thou shalt not isolate thyself.
Attempting to lead while turning a blind eye to reality is like treading water: It can only go on for so long, eventually you will sink. As a next generation leader, be willing to face the truth regardless of how painful it might be. And if you don’t like what you see, change it.”
9 likes