Start by marking “Manuscript Found in Accra” as Want to Read:
Manuscript Found in Accra

Manuscript Found in Accra

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  23,866 ratings  ·  2,548 reviews
The latest novel from the #1 internationally best-selling author of The Alchemist.

There is nothing wrong with anxiety.
Although we cannot control God's time, it is part of the human condition to want to receive the thing we are waiting for as quickly as possible.
Or to drive away whatever is causing our fear....
Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since w
Published April 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Manuscript Found in Accra, please sign up.
Akash Indeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will nev…moreIndeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will never fail you.(less)
Ysa Bulseco
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  23,866 ratings  ·  2,548 reviews

Start your review of Manuscript Found in Accra
Mar
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up the book, I compared it to Khalil Gibran's "The Profit". I was a bit disillusioned, and stopped reading for a bit. Having some time one day, I picked up the book again with the hope that I would finish it quickly and move on to the next read. How mistaken I was! The 3 chapters I read that day were directly addressing issues I was experiencing at the time!

This book is definitely one you want to read slowly, ponder on the messages and hopefully apply to your life. Its a book
Ahmad Sharabiani
Manuscrito encontrado em Accra, 2013 = Manuscript found in Accra : a novel, Paulo Coelho
Manuscript Found in Accra is a novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho. The action is placed in 1099 in Jerusalem while the city awaits the invasion of the crusaders. Inside the city’s walls, men and women gathered to hear the wise words of a mysterious Greek man– known as the Copt. The people begin with questions about their fears, true enemies, defeat and struggle; they contemplate the will to change, and th
Sara Connor
Since I first read The Alchemist, I've always loved Paulo Coelho's books. I think this book is a MUST READ for every single soul on earth no matter which your religion or believes you've got. It contains all the wisdom that should be taught in schools, instead of losing hours with stupid subjects about religion or ethics, it contains the essence of life.

The author is humboldt enough to recognise that this is not his writing, which makes him even greater than what I thought.
It is just a transcri
Kathy
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
This was a Goodreads First Reader Win, thanks.

I would have adored this book when I was 17 or even 20. But alas, I am much, much, much older than that now and less fond than I was then of books full of quotable Words Of Wisdom.
The premise of the book is poignant...the people are gathered before a time of great struggle and potential endings (and yeah, sure, it could well be a parable of our times, why not). They are of many faiths...Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, there in the lovely city of Jerus
Owlseyes

Preamble

The Nag Hammadi manuscripts, The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Apocryphal Gospels have been for some years a source of a salutary religious and academic debate; even, from a fiction perspective, we could include Barbara Thiering thesis of a “married Jesus”, with kids…and much else….in these debates.

BUT: somehow, Coelho managed to find another manuscript: Accra’s; and this one brings nothing of salutary, in my view. It’s not a novel. Supposedly, it’s a sort of discourses of a wi
Nancy
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really loved The Alchemist and Paulo Coelho shares deep wisdom within the story. This time the story is much more secondary as the different groups of people inside the walls of Jerusalem gather to hear the wisdom of a Greek man simply known as "The Copt." Tomorrow most will die so tonight they ask questions, make observations and listen to the Greek's wisdom. He speaks of love, life, death, regrets, family, friends, home, fear, faith and much, much more.

The book appeals to not only Christian,
Ailene♥
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: inspiring, 2-stars
I guess I'm too old and pessimistic for this... Words of wisdom... Easier said than done...
Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The setting for this latest offering by Paulo Coelho is in Jerusalem. The date is July 14, 1099. On this date, the city was held by the Fatimids. Outside the city, the Crusaders are to make their final assault and enter the city. Most of the inhabitants of the city at this time profess one of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Knowing that the Crusaders will soon attack, the people, vexed with uncertainty, are told to gather around a wise Greek simply known as the C ...more
Wahab Ahmad Khan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I embarked with Paulo Coelho on this spiritual and philosophical voyage, he took me deep down into the unfathomable depth of wisdom and guided me to collect the lost pearls of human's virtue. I feel profound reverence for his philosophical insights, and the way he sees the world, the way he interprets things. This book contains twenty powerful spiritual lessons over topics like beauty, elegance, luck, loyalty, enemies, defeat, forgiveness, anxiety etc. These topics having the intellectual vision ...more
Joan
I really enjoyed Manuscript Found in Accra. This is a book that is full of uplifting, timeless wisdom. It is the type of book that can be read quickly, but it is really best read and processed slowly and revisited from time to time. I am sure that I will re-read it again in the future, so it is a welcome addition to my library.

I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Celia
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by Jeremy Irons, Paulo Coelho's book, Manuscript Found in Accra (pronounced a CRA) is more than a book. It is a contemplation on human values that have endured the passage of time.

The story is told through the eyes of the Copt. It is 1099 in Jerusalem and the Crusaders are at the gate. The Copt has summoned the townspeople to address their fears. He talks of many things: defeat, struggle, the nature of the enemy; they contemplate the will to change and the virtues of loyalty and solitude; t
Mellony
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
shereads
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I felt like book was trying to be too much at once and as a result, it was not as successful as it could have been as a fictional STORY or a well-being/self-help book.

I began with the impression that this would be some historical fiction/history re-write and in some ways it is. I particularly enjoy how each chapter is an answer to a question - very parable-like, and it takes a narrative tone that the Bible has in many instances. However, there are no real characters that carry over chapter to c
nocturnal  reader
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5*
Full of morals and good sense to quote, It was a bit all over the place but well ..
Tia Bach
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing to think how many manuscripts such as these were lost to us generations ago--that many scholars' thoughts and advice are lost to the ravages of time.

In 1099, the mysterious Copt is speaking to a crowd awaiting attack. In the face of death, the Copt shares his views on life. Some ask if they shouldn't instead be focused on preparing for battle, to which Copt replies, "Our task is not to leave a record of what happened on this date... history will take care of that. Therefore, we wil
Agnese

Blah blah blah...
Coelho is babbling and moralizing and what not. Just like a new literary Osho with his religious-philosophical sh*t. Not for my criminal mind.
I liked some of his previous books, and there are some I didn't enjoy. Whether this is worst of his books I can not say, but it is worst I've read.
But those who consider Coelho some kind of religious leader or messiah and admire and believe in everything he says will certainly love it.
Sara Habein
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Judging by the quotes I've seen from some of Coelho's other work, philosophical and mindful ways of living are his wheelhouse, and perhaps Manuscript in Accra is a condensed, more direct version of those ideas. I would have to read his other books to say so with any certainty. Maybe this book isn't for everyone, but I liked it well enough to want to properly devour a full-on Coelho novel in the near future.

(My full review appears on Glorified Love Letters.)
Suzie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As with all Paulo Coelho's writings, I just loved the knowledge and wisdom imparted in this book. In the style of Gibran's "The Prophet" it gives a teacher/student feel to it. Lots of food for thought and depth. Another winner! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading it again.
da AL
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every single word beautiful & profound - all the more so for Jeremy Irons' reading of it. ...more
Sally Walker
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pure wisdom

I have always loved Paulo Coelho’s books; they are so concise in a great way, so beautiful but challenging. He is simple but profound and his histories will make you rethink your whole world. Because all of that, I expected “Manuscript found in Accra” to be great. And it just… is. As other Coelho’s books, it takes you to another world and the story surrounds you in a beautiful way. You can’t stop reading and you see yourself immersed in a charming but deep history.

We live in a very ch
Leanne
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I first found out about the book from my friend, when she posted a quotation from the book, i really got interested in reading it. The words was full of wisdom, that's why i was really attracted into it. I got a copy of the book last two days ago. And to my amazement, i only read it for just almost two hours!
This one is really a page turner. Every word and every detail brought so much knowledge and realizations over me. The main character which is the-so-called "Copt" serves as the source
Kyrie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
It's the first Coelho book I've read that might equal "The Alchemist" for message and enjoyment.

Honestly, though, it's like a modern language version of Gibran's "The Prophet". It's just got people on the eve of an assault asking questions of a religious man, instead of people asking a religious man questions on the eve of his departure to another land.

I want to own this book, read it slowly and write in the margins.

Do I think it's brilliant and amazing? No, because it's too much like "The Prop
Sara
فيديو المراجعة:

This book was below my expectations.
I imagined I would read an adventure and I was surprised by these wise words!

A copt is addressing the whole Jerusalem (Al Qods) before its occupation by the crusaders and telling them about the meanings of some feelings and actions.

Paulo here is so affected by "The prophet" written by Gibran Khalil Gibran, I didn't like the latter so therefore, I didn't like this as well.
I won't deny it has some deep meani
Sully
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
“Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.”
― Paulo Coelho
Brigette
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. They say that the best books are the ones that remind you that things you forgot, and this book is that and much more, because I not only remembered, I learned as well. It taught me a lot, and how Love is so important in life, in everything. Every little chapter had so much knowledge and wisdom. It's a book to continue reading and never stop. I hope that with all I read I can keep those little pieces of wisdom in me and practice it in my life.
Sindys
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? Paulo Coelho did a great job on this book. It is kind of different from his others books, but you won't regret reading it. It has many teachings. I did love the book. I learned many things. You won't get bored. It took me 2 months to finish it, because I wanted to enjoy every chapter.
Ilse
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Those who are familiar with Coelho's work know that we must read between the lines to get the message. This book, however, answers the questions that we all make to ourselves at least once in our lives. I can guarantee that no matter how many times you read it, you will always get a different meaning from his answers.
Natasha
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book from Paulo Coelho that lets your soul open and blossom, just incredible.
Anna
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just perfect

Paulo Coelho is one of my favorite authors. He always writes such amazing books! And the best thing is that all his books are short, but at the same time intense and beautiful. I’ve always thought that he is simple but profound, and his histories make you rethink your whole world. I remember reading The Alchemist when I was 16… in a very specific way, it just changed me. And because of that, I wanted to read “Manuscript found in Accra” as soon as I got the chance. It is just… great.
Maria Carmo
Genuinely liked this book, which is so very "Paulo Coelho", transmiting with grace and depth a certain spirituality and joy, helping the reader to find a point of view from which he can face life with enthusiasm and generosity.

Definitely a good read, in certain respects reminds one of Khalil Gibran.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 29 th. March 2013.
Who had actually written the manuscript? 1 25 Nov 05, 2016 11:53AM
تحت سقف التوقعات 2 58 Feb 28, 2014 03:55AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Manuscript Found in Accra 1 7 Apr 08, 2013 08:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: This could be a double entry 3 42 Apr 01, 2013 07:13AM

• Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • The Prophet
  • Istoria romanțată a unui safari
  • Memoirs of a Bitch
  • Վերջին Ուսուցիչը
  • Great American Indian Stories
  • El principito
  • Mavi Orman
  • România în 7 gesturi
  • The Intimate Bond: How Animals Shaped Human History
  • #2Sides: My Autobiography
  • La increíble y triste historia de la cándida Eréndira y de su abuela desalmada
  • Sakin Koşmayı Bıraktığın Gün Vardığın Gün
  • Il divano di Istanbul
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more