Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Manuscript Found in Accra” as Want to Read:
Manuscript Found in Accra
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Manuscript Found in Accra

by
3.81  ·  Rating details ·  20,392 Ratings  ·  2,291 Reviews
The latest novel from the #1 internationally best-selling author of The Alchemist.

There is nothing wrong with anxiety.
Although we cannot control God's time, it is part of the human condition to want to receive the thing we are waiting for as quickly as possible.
Or to drive away whatever is causing our fear....
Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since w
...more
Hardcover, 208 pages
Published April 2nd 2013 by Knopf (first published 2012)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Manuscript Found in Accra, please sign up.
Popular Answered Questions
Akash Indeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will…moreIndeed it is! At times when you find no answer to the problems that you are facing, just run through some pages, [at least in my case] and it will never fail you.(less)
Ysa Bulseco
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Mar
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up the book, I compared it to Khalil Gibran's "The Profit". I was a bit disillusioned, and stopped reading for a bit. Having some time one day, I picked up the book again with the hope that I would finish it quickly and move on to the next read. How mistaken I was! The 3 chapters I read that day were directly addressing issues I was experiencing at the time!

This book is definitely one you want to read slowly, ponder on the messages and hopefully apply to your life. Its a book
...more
Mohammed Arabey
المـكان: ساحة أحد ميادين مدينة أورشاليم، القدس - الـزمان:يوم من ايام شهر يوليو

الـعام؟ لا يهم..يحسبه البعض بحياة جدوده بتلك البلدة المقدسة منذ 4859 عاما منذ انزل الله بألواح التوراة علي رسوله موسي عليه السلام
وهناك من يحسبه منذ 1099 ، منذ ميلاد السيد المسيح عيسي بن مريم نبي الله رسول الله الوجيه
واخر يحسبه منذ 492 عاما قمريا منذ هاجر رسول الله محمد عليه الصلاة والسلام من مكة الي المدينة



المدينة خاوية، البيوت ساكنة، لا حركة ولا بيع في اسواق المدينة
الحملة الصليبية علي أبواب المدينة، بجيوشها ومدافعها،
...more
mercysky
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الشيء الذي يفتنني في القراءة لـ إنسان كـ باولو ،
أنني عند مقطوعة ما ، وأحياناً كلمتين فقط
أغلق الكتاب وأعيش لحظات تأمل خاصة.. أفكر فيها
أرى فيها كلماته تتشكل على كل الجدران والأسقف من حولي !
ثم أعاود لأكمل .

كـكاتب، أسلوبه ذو الطاقة الهائلة والسحر لايقاوم ولايُختلف عليه
ودليل ذلك قدرته على شحذ ذهن القارئ واستفزازه للتأمل.
ولذلك قيمتها بأربع نجوم مع أنني قررت فور اغلاقها أنها ثلاثة.

الرواية هذه تُختصر بسهوله في ما لايزيد عن عشر جُمل
هي بمجملها " فلسفيات " عميقة ..
عن الحياة، الحب، القوة، الصعوبات، الأهدا
...more
Sara Connor
Since I first read The Alchemist, I've always loved Paulo Coelho's books. I think this book is a MUST READ for every single soul on earth no matter which your religion or believes you've got. It contains all the wisdom that should be taught in schools, instead of losing hours with stupid subjects about religion or ethics, it contains the essence of life.

The author is humboldt enough to recognise that this is not his writing, which makes him even greater than what I thought.
It is just a transcri
...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Manuscrito encontrado em Accra, 2013 = Manuscript found in Accra : a novel, Paulo Coelho
Manuscript Found in Accra is a novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho. The action is placed in 1099 in Jerusalem while the city awaits the invasion of the crusaders. Inside the city’s walls, men and women gathered to hear the wise words of a mysterious Greek man– known as the Copt. The people begin with questions about their fears, true enemies, defeat and struggle; they contemplate the will to change, and th
...more
Kathy
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spirituality
This was a Goodreads First Reader Win, thanks.


I would have adored this book when I was 17 or even 20. But alas, I am much, much, much older than that now and less fond than I was then of books full of quotable Words Of Wisdom.
The premise of the book is poignant...the people are gathered before a time of great struggle and potential endings (and yeah, sure, it could well be a parable of our times, why not). They are of many faiths...Jewish, Christian, and Muslim, there in the lovely city of Jerus
...more
Owlseyes
Apr 12, 2013 added it
Shelves: brazilian-lit

Preamble







The Nag Hammadi manuscripts, The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Apocryphal Gospels have been for some years a source of a salutary religious and academic debate; even, from a fiction perspective, we could include Barbara Thiering thesis of a “married Jesus”, with kids…and much else….in these debates.

BUT: somehow, Coelho managed to find another manuscript: Accra’s; and this one brings nothing of salutary, in my view. It’s not a novel. Supposedly, it’s a sort of discourses of a wise man to
...more
Nancy
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really loved The Alchemist and Paulo Coelho shares deep wisdom within the story. This time the story is much more secondary as the different groups of people inside the walls of Jerusalem gather to hear the wisdom of a Greek man simply known as "The Copt." Tomorrow most will die so tonight they ask questions, make observations and listen to the Greek's wisdom. He speaks of love, life, death, regrets, family, friends, home, fear, faith and much, much more.

The book appeals to not only Christian,
...more
WARDA  AS' SAEEDI
رواية مليئة بالحكم، لا أدري إن كانت مخطوطة حقيقية أم هي مجرد خيالات لباولو، لا تمل القراءة و أعتقد أني سأعادود قرائتها في فترات :)
اقتباسات :
ليس العدو من يقف أمامكم و سيفه في يده، بل من يقف إلى جانبكم و خنجره خلف ظهره

عندما تغفر لمن أهانك، يشعر بوضاعة خطئه!

الكلمة هي أشد فتكا من السلاح، لأنها تستطيع التدمير دون أن تسفك و لو قطرة دم...

الغفران تساعد على الترفع عن كل الشتائم، و التي سرعان ما سيمحوها الزمان.

الذين يريدون الأفضل لنا، يريدون سعادتنا، حتى و إن عجزوا عن فهم ما نفعله، حتى و إن حاولوا فالبداي
...more
Ailene♥
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: inspiring, 2-stars
I guess I'm too old and pessimistic for this... Words of wisdom... Easier said than done...
أقمار المسيري
نبدأ في قراءه هذه الروايه للساحر باولو كويلو

بعض من المقاطع وصور منها ...

عندما تتعب أقدامنا، نستمر بفضل قلوبنا، و إن تعبت قلوبنا نستمر بفضل قوة إيماننا.
باولو كويلو . مخطوطة وجدت في عكرا


http://i.imgur.com/VUhVo9X.jpg


أويقول شاب صدته حبيبته الاولى ، إن الحب غير موجود ؟
سأجد أخرى تتفهم شعوري تفهما افضل وعندئد سأكون سعيدا لباقي ايام حياتي . باولو كويلو . رواية مخطوطة وجدت في عكرا

http://i.imgur.com/ukDePt8.jpg



بلا عزله لن يطيل الحب بقاءه الى جانبكم ، فالحب يحتاج الى الراحه ايضا ، لكي يتمكن من ان يطوف ال
...more
Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The setting for this latest offering by Paulo Coelho is in Jerusalem. The date is July 14, 1099. On this date, the city was held by the Fatimids. Outside the city, the Crusaders are to make their final assault and enter the city. Most of the inhabitants of the city at this time profess one of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Knowing that the Crusaders will soon attack, the people, vexed with uncertainty, are told to gather around a wise Greek simply known as the C ...more
Wahab Ahmad Khan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I embarked with Paulo Coelho on this spiritual and philosophical voyage, he took me deep down into the unfathomable depth of wisdom and guided me to collect the lost pearls of human's virtue. I feel profound reverence for his philosophical insights, and the way he sees the world, the way he interprets things. This book contains twenty powerful spiritual lessons over topics like beauty, elegance, luck, loyalty, enemies, defeat, forgiveness, anxiety etc. These topics having the intellectual vision ...more
Paula Lopez
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Es un libro que nos da, no uno, si no muchos mensajes directos, sin rodeos, nos enseña que todo lo que hacemos tiene algo positivo, e incluso lo que no nos atrevemos a hacer por prejuicios de terceras personas, son ataduras que no nos dejan apreciar el valor de nuestras acciones, nos enseña a enfrentar las batallas más difíciles pensando que el pasado ya fue y ya aprendimos de él o simplememte dejamos ir la enseñansa por miedo a actuar, y que el futuro aun no ha llegado pero que tenemos que cons ...more
Joan
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Manuscript Found in Accra. This is a book that is full of uplifting, timeless wisdom. It is the type of book that can be read quickly, but it is really best read and processed slowly and revisited from time to time. I am sure that I will re-read it again in the future, so it is a welcome addition to my library.

I received a free copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Dr. Rana
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
باولو كويلو كعادته يدهشني في كل كتاب اقراه له .. هذا الكتاب كنصائح وكلمات في الحياة ، الهزيمة، الحب ، الوحدة، القوة ، النصر وكل كلمة ماذا تعني من منظوره ومنظور من معه في هذه الرواية ..
Eng Fatoom
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
قوة الحب تكمن في تناقضاته، وان الحب يدوم بتغيره لا بثباته او بعدم مواجهة التحديات ابدأ!!!
اذا رغب أحد في استفزازكم فانفضوا الغبار عن اقدامكم وامضوا، قاتلوا من هو جدير بالقتال فقط وليس من يستخدم الحيل لاطالة حرب انتهت!!
كتاب رائع .... ملئ بالحكمة و الدروس
Shwan Majeed
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رواية جميلة وبسيطة وممتعة, واسلوب جديد وجميل من الكاتب باولو كويلو في طريقة سرده في هذه الرواية. الكاتب لم يخرج من منطقة المحببة لديه وهو الشرق الاوسط وهذه المرة من اورشليم المدينة التاريخية الذي شهد الكثير والكثير من الاحداث التاريخية على مر العصور.
الجميل في هذه الرواية انه استخدم طابع جديد فيه وهو في طريقة السرد, عن مدينة على بعد ايام من الاحتلال وهناك حرب كبير ومصير مجهول, وعلى اهالي المدينة تقبل هذه المصير وهناك يجتمعون وتقبلون نصائح والاسئلة من الرجل القبطي الذي يتكلم معهم باسلوب رائع جدا و
...more
Celia
Read by Jeremy Irons, Paulo Coelho's book, Manuscript Found in Accra (pronounced a CRA) is more than a book. It is a contemplation on human values that have endured the passage of time.

The story is told through the eyes of the Copt. It is 1099 in Jerusalem and the Crusaders are at the gate. The Copt has summoned the townspeople to address their fears. He talks of many things: defeat, struggle, the nature of the enemy; they contemplate the will to change and the virtues of loyalty and solitude; t
...more
Mellony
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!
Tia Bach
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing to think how many manuscripts such as these were lost to us generations ago--that many scholars' thoughts and advice are lost to the ravages of time.

In 1099, the mysterious Copt is speaking to a crowd awaiting attack. In the face of death, the Copt shares his views on life. Some ask if they shouldn't instead be focused on preparing for battle, to which Copt replies, "Our task is not to leave a record of what happened on this date... history will take care of that. Therefore, we wil
...more
Sara Habein
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Judging by the quotes I've seen from some of Coelho's other work, philosophical and mindful ways of living are his wheelhouse, and perhaps Manuscript in Accra is a condensed, more direct version of those ideas. I would have to read his other books to say so with any certainty. Maybe this book isn't for everyone, but I liked it well enough to want to properly devour a full-on Coelho novel in the near future.

(My full review appears on Glorified Love Letters.)
shereads
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I felt like book was trying to be too much at once and as a result, it was not as successful as it could have been as a fictional STORY or a well-being/self-help book.

I began with the impression that this would be some historical fiction/history re-write and in some ways it is. I particularly enjoy how each chapter is an answer to a question - very parable-like, and it takes a narrative tone that the Bible has in many instances. However, there are no real characters that carry over chapter to c
...more
Agnese

Blah blah blah...
Coelho is babbling and moralizing and what not. Just like a new literary Osho with his religious-philosophical sh*t. Not for my criminal mind.
I liked some of his previous books, and there are some I didn't enjoy. Whether this is worst of his books I can not say, but it is worst I've read.
But those who consider Coelho some kind of religious leader or messiah and admire and believe in everything he says will certainly love it.
Suzie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As with all Paulo Coelho's writings, I just loved the knowledge and wisdom imparted in this book. In the style of Gibran's "The Prophet" it gives a teacher/student feel to it. Lots of food for thought and depth. Another winner! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading it again.
Osman Ali
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
مخطوطة رائعة يجب أن تدرس سواء كانت حقيقية أو تأليف خالص لباولو


أجمل الاقتباسات التي أعجبتني في المخطوطة
" وقلما يأبهون في عالمهم, يعتقدون انهم منيعون. يشيحون بنظرهم عن الظلم والمعاناة, يشعرون بالأمان لأنهم غير مجبرين على مجابهة التحديات اليومية التي تواجه من يخاطرون في اجتياز حدودهم "
"يعلمون أولادهم: لاتتورطوا في الخلافات, فخسارتكم محتومة. لا تسروا لأحد بشكوككم, فتنأى عنكم المشكلات. إن تهجم أحد عليكم فلا تشعروا بالإهانة, ولا تبخسوا أنفسكم في رد الهجوم في الحياة أمور أهم.
وفي سكون الليل يخوضون معار
...more
Sally Walker
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pure wisdom

I have always loved Paulo Coelho’s books; they are so concise in a great way, so beautiful but challenging. He is simple but profound and his histories will make you rethink your whole world. Because all of that, I expected “Manuscript found in Accra” to be great. And it just… is. As other Coelho’s books, it takes you to another world and the story surrounds you in a beautiful way. You can’t stop reading and you see yourself immersed in a charming but deep history.

We live in a very ch
...more
Leanne
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I first found out about the book from my friend, when she posted a quotation from the book, i really got interested in reading it. The words was full of wisdom, that's why i was really attracted into it. I got a copy of the book last two days ago. And to my amazement, i only read it for just almost two hours!
This one is really a page turner. Every word and every detail brought so much knowledge and realizations over me. The main character which is the-so-called "Copt" serves as the source
...more
Kyrie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
It's the first Coelho book I've read that might equal "The Alchemist" for message and enjoyment.

Honestly, though, it's like a modern language version of Gibran's "The Prophet". It's just got people on the eve of an assault asking questions of a religious man, instead of people asking a religious man questions on the eve of his departure to another land.

I want to own this book, read it slowly and write in the margins.

Do I think it's brilliant and amazing? No, because it's too much like "The Prop
...more
Salymar
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.”
― Paulo Coelho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Around the Year i...: Manuscript Found in Accra, by Paulo Coelho 1 7 Feb 05, 2018 06:59AM  
Who had actually written the manuscript? 1 23 Nov 05, 2016 11:53AM  
تحت سقف التوقعات 2 57 Feb 28, 2014 03:55AM  
Madison Mega-Mara...: Manuscript Found in Accra 1 7 Apr 08, 2013 08:26PM  
Goodreads Librari...: This could be a double entry 3 41 Apr 01, 2013 07:13AM  
  • Paulo Coelho: Confessions of a Pilgrim
  • Paulo Coelho: A Warrior's Life - The Authorized Biography
  • Ars Magica
  • Buku Pengetahuan Paling Jorok Sedunia
  • Cerita Cinta Enrico
  • A Room of One's Own & The Voyage Out
  • Debaixo de Algum Céu
  • L'âme du monde
  • Crystal Grids: How and Why They Work: A Science-Based, Yet Practical Guide
  • The Thief of Baghdad - Cinta Sejati Sang Pangeran Pencuri
  • The Truth
  • Tobias e o Anjo
  • As rosas de Atacama
  • Partitions
  • O Mundo Em Que Vivi
  • Les Quatre vies du saule
  • Forgiving the Angel: Four Stories for Franz Kafka
  • Beyond Snapshots: How to Take That Fancy DSLR Camera Off "Auto" and Photograph Your Life like a Pro
61,951 followers
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage. In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow in ...more
More about Paulo Coelho
“Anxiety was born in the very same moment as mankind. And since we will never be able to master it, we will have to learn to live with it—just as we have learned to live with storms.” 263 likes
“For those who are not frightened by the solitude, everything will have a different taste.

In solitude, they will discover the love that might otherwise arrive unnoticed.

In solitude, they will understand and respect the love that left them.

In solitude, they will be able to decide whether it is worth asking that lost love to come back or if they should simply let it go and set off along a new path.

In solitude, they will learn that saying ‘No’ does not always show a lack of generosity and that saying ‘Yes’ is not always a virtue.

And those who are alone at this moment, need never be frightened by the words of the devil: ‘You’re wasting your time.’

Or by the chief demon’s even more potent words: ‘No one cares about you.’

The Divine Energy is listening to us when we speak to other people, but also when we are still and silent and able to accept solitude as a blessing.

And when we achieve that harmony, we receive more than we asked for.”
229 likes
More quotes…